DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

2 minutes ago, Mapper said:

I think he did

Re any talking head's timings, I agree, how can you be sure?

The idea of selling up and being in cash, bonds, gold etc. for me I don't think so. I am planning to hold through any BK.

Most of what I own is reflation leaning and I thoroughly enjoy recieving dividends.

Agree, but I need to buy a house this year and feel like it's time to get my ISA investments into cash sooner rather than later. Debating whether to withdraw completely into Premium Bonds and/or start rotating into IBTL or $US. 

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ThoughtCriminal
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Getting a kicking in the commentsxD

True.

And like Schiff he's been calling for a BK for a LONG time. 

But then most of the people slagging him off in the comments are "Bitcoin, doge, Tesla to the moon brah!", types. 

sleepwello'nights
44 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

You can argue with his forecasts and his timings but the leverage/debt numbers he cites are phenomenal. 

Short the NASDAQ and buy 30 year treasury bonds he concludes. 

Hmmm, didn't DB say that bonds would have one last Hurrah?? 

My Vanguard UK Gilts dropped a bit in the last few weeks. Quite pleased, perversely, because I sold some to release some money for my house purchase. 

Now waiting for the last hurrah. 

I plan to reduce my share portfolio a bit, I need to move some to use my ISA allowance more effectively. I'll wait until after April in case the BK predictions happens in line with anticipated timing.

Oh for a crystal ball, or some more investors for my time machine. More funds are needed for development research. ;)

3 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

True.

And like Schiff he's been calling for a BK for a LONG time. 

But then most of the people slagging him off in the comments are "Bitcoin, doge, Tesla to the moon brah!", types. 

Those types aren't worth listening too, but then to paraphrase Zerohedge on a long enough timeline the probability of a BK rises to 1

ThoughtCriminal
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Those types aren't worth listening too, but then to paraphrase Zerohedge on a long enough timeline the probability of a BK rises to 1

Yes, what's that line from the big short? 

"I might have been early but I'm not wrong" 

"They're the SAME FUCKING THING!!!" 

4 hours ago, Mapper said:

Harr Dent has a ticket on the BK Express. It arrives in April apparently. All aboard!

Wrong "BK"?  His is the "Big Klimax"!!!!

Thanks for posting.  Nice (plus timely) to be reminded of the clothes the Emperors of Finance aren't wearing!

More support for my change of tack.

She's great at this stuff.

Talking Monkey
57 minutes ago, BearingUp said:

IBTL? Some discussion a few pages back suggesting that even these will continue to fall??

I remember in March seeing some of the daily action on tlt and being surprised that there were heavy down days where it fell hard alongside the indices, but this did correct back very quickly so that across the March sell-off it did in fact overall do its hedging part.

What are peoples thoughts on rotating. On HL I am yet to do any rotation, though I will I think get round to it in the coming weeks

1 hour ago, Hardhat said:

Personally I'll be reviewing my portfolio for anything that might be frothy / tech leaning, which might potentially get hammered in a BK, and decide whether to hold case by case.

Oh well, one redeeming point about my portfolio - little to worry about on that frothy front!  Why I've pulled back to trading.  Emotionally hard to sell off the few value holds that have run but I have set up a warning system to tell me when to sell half my holdings, the others already having "sold" off by half+!  Very little to no value buys out there atm just progress with my current holds - Wild Coyote time?  Big issue is where to put the freed funds - too much cash risky, I agree things like PMs and BTC could sell off too (as usual, at least initially), and bonds may have one last hurrah (others like Raoul Pal have said similar).  Plus repressive regulation will no doubt follow so needs to be in the "right" place, whatever that is. 

Talking Monkey
2 minutes ago, Harley said:

Oh well, one redeeming point about my portfolio - little to worry about on that frothy front!  Why I've pulled back to trading.  Emotionally hard to sell off the few value holds that have run but I have set up a warning system to tell me when to sell half my holdings, the others already having "sold" off by half+!  Very little to no value buys out there atm just progress with my current holds - Wild Coyote time?  Big issue is where to put the freed funds - too much cash risky, I agree things like PMs and BTC could sell offf too (as usual, at least initially), and bonds may have one last hurrah (others like Raoul Pal have said similar).  Plus repressive regulation will no doubt follow so needs to be in the "right" place, whatever that is. 

I am reluctant to hold cash through a BK Harley, I'm tilting more to holding bonds rather than gold. Bitcoin is out for me as I don't understand it.

Democorruptcy
57 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

I think it really depends what sectors you have in your portfolio - if someone was heavily invested in NASDAQ stocks, it would probably be a good idea to take some money off the table soon. 

But oil companies are likely to fare better in a crash, especially as they've been beaten down somewhat already. They don't have as far to fall. 

Personally I'll be reviewing my portfolio for anything that might be frothy / tech leaning, which might potentially get hammered in a BK, and decide whether to hold case by case.

If there is a BK, oil helps cause it. The economy could stand a 1.5% Treasury yield but the markets can't. Once we get to the annual anniversary of the negative oil price, inflation rises and pushes the Treasury yield up.

45 minutes ago, Loki said:

There is a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater with all these types.  It doesn't have to be that way, just as how DH apparently advised the traders on the macro but let them make the executive calls.  And regardless, portfolios should be stress tested and bug out routes set up for all reasonable risks, according to probability.  I have no need to set timelines as I now rely on my warning signals and balanced allocation rules so can comfortably cherry pick such people's views to better effect.

Government bonds seem a mixed bag atm, maybe due partly to currency moves, changes in which (strengthened USD in a BK?) could change things.  Maybe USTs have further to fall but some very early signs on strength in VGOV?

PS:  To add, a main concern is buying bonds in an ETF that lends them on to the very people you don't want them to - banks, etc.

38 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

I remember in March seeing some of the daily action on tlt and being surprised that there were heavy down days where it fell hard alongside the indices, but this did correct back very quickly so that across the March sell-off it did in fact overall do its hedging part.

What are peoples thoughts on rotating. On HL I am yet to do any rotation, though I will I think get round to it in the coming weeks

Not surprising really for these and gold, etc as people sell to cover margin calls at a time of maximum leverage.  The trick is to look a few days/weeks out to see how they performed.  Can be very educational.  Plenty of pasts to study!

29 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

I am reluctant to hold cash through a BK Harley, I'm tilting more to holding bonds rather than gold. Bitcoin is out for me as I don't understand it.

I increasingly hold my cash in short term government bonds, alas via ETFs but at least many.

5 hours ago, Mapper said:

Harr Dent has a ticket on the BK Express. It arrives in April apparently. All aboard!

I suppose he might be right.

It is a decent call for him -- he gets a bit of coverage (= people buying his books), with a small chance that'll emerge as the guy who saw it coming, and make millions more over the next couple of years.  (Note that it doesn't need to be April -- he'll milk it if it's March-May).

If he's wrong then it probably doesn't hit him that much (he'll probably continue to have some fans that bankroll him).

Quite a good risk/reward I'd say.  (for him).

ThoughtCriminal
31 minutes ago, dgul said:

I suppose he might be right.

It is a decent call for him -- he gets a bit of coverage (= people buying his books), with a small chance that'll emerge as the guy who saw it coming, and make millions more over the next couple of years.  (Note that it doesn't need to be April -- he'll milk it if it's March-May).

If he's wrong then it probably doesn't hit him that much (he'll probably continue to have some fans that bankroll him).

Quite a good risk/reward I'd say.  (for him).

The reason the likes of him and Hugh Hendry etc fuck up, I think, is because they haven't accepted the new paradigm, that this really has been different. 

What goes up still has to come down, but as we've now learned, you can keep those plates spinning a hell of a lot longer than anyone thought possible. 

Remember on TOS when everyone used to mockingly say "hey, maybe it's different this time!"? 

Turns out it was. 

And I thought the same so I'm not being captain hindsight. 

one thing march showed, you are gonna have to be positioned ahead of time if you expect a huge drop, doing it during doesnt really cut it.

44 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Lisa Abramiwicz reports;

Yet it was up slightly yesterday and any selling should have happened months ago. The daily could start strengthening soon, followed by the others.  All in USD though.  Wonder who's going to be on the other side of the ETFs trades and how the ETF tracking errors will look.

PS: Er, why compared to the one time when people surely would be buying, apart from selling to cover margin calls?  Maybe just badly worded.

Archived