Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Coronavirus Economic Impact Thread


No One
 Share

Recommended Posts

I expect that other companies are also having problem with supply chain, but aren't talking (yet).

It was fortuitous that this started in-earnest in CNY hols as many companies built up stock to 'get over the hump'.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Loki said:

The Fed will pump as much money as needed into the stock markets to keep them up

The Fed is starting to reduce their repo injections.  They'll be reducing by $5bln a week until zero (April, I guess).

You might imagine that this'll result in a bit of a dip in stock prices, and they'll turn the spigots back on as soon as they realise it is happening.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dgul said:

The Fed is starting to reduce their repo injections.  They'll be reducing by $5bln a week until zero (April, I guess).

You might imagine that this'll result in a bit of a dip in stock prices, and they'll turn the spigots back on as soon as they realise it is happening.

What will 'not QE' 2 be I wonder?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

What will 'not QE' 2 be I wonder?

It'll start off with more repo.

The main injection will come down the line, and will just be naked Keynesianism.

[I heard a quote earlier today from some government guy -- 'what we need is some Keynesianism so that Monetarism can work again'.  I found that very interesting.  Probably why Javid left.]

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dgul said:

It'll start off with more repo.

The main injection will come down the line, and will just be naked Keynesianism.

[I heard a quote earlier today from some government guy -- 'what we need is some Keynesianism so that Monetarism can work again'.  I found that very interesting.  Probably why Javid left.]

I mean...he's not technically wrong...

Monetarism is doing exactly what it was intended to do, destroy the middle class.

Edited by Loki
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Loki said:

I mean...he's not technically wrong...

Quite.

IMO they're getting us ready for it.  Something along the lines of 'new paradigm'.

And then we get a massive spike in inflation.

Edited by dgul
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, dgul said:

I expect that other companies are also having problem with supply chain, but aren't talking (yet).

It was fortuitous that this started in-earnest in CNY hols as many companies built up stock to 'get over the hump'.

Mrs P jsut reported that her co has had a supplier from Chinois stop.She left work before anyone tasked her with finding a replacement,Sensible girl.

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

The Fed is starting to reduce their repo injections.  They'll be reducing by $5bln a week until zero (April, I guess).

You might imagine that this'll result in a bit of a dip in stock prices, and they'll turn the spigots back on as soon as they realise it is happening.

I think the CCB will come out all printers running on the other side.Which will possibly force the fed to print some too.

 

1 hour ago, No One said:

I've decided to open a thread to post info on wimageproxy.php?img=&key=6313d54163a54dd1hat is happening economically because of the virus.

Manufacturing is definitely suffering.

 

Super idea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am keeping my fingers crossed that my main competitors, who manufacture in China, will come a cropper.

This could be good news for UK manufacturing, even if only in the short term.

 

  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife's family have a factory in China and they are definitely feeling the impact. She was showing me an excel file yesterday and said ... if it's colored yellow then we can't meet the order due to us not being able to get the materials. There was a LOT of yellow! 
Father in law is quick thinking and saw the problems really quick... within a week he had sourced material for making face masks and has converted some of the machines to manufacture face masks instead!

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It threatens to be the ill economic wind that brings the whole house of cards down.

The central banks can print all they like. Unless they have 3d printers it won't avoid the inevitable. :P

They will start blaming this virus for baked-in failure like they were blaming brexit. xD

Time to see who is wearing speedos when the tide goes out.

  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chewing Grass
6 minutes ago, dgul said:

GM now reporting impact on supply chain.

This will quickly show which fine and upstanding, brand and heritage conscious manufacturers have the most parts/jobs outsourced to the cheapest possible place of manufacture.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, RickyBacker said:

My wife's family have a factory in China and they are definitely feeling the impact. She was showing me an excel file yesterday and said ... if it's colored yellow then we can't meet the order due to us not being able to get the materials. There was a LOT of yellow! 
Father in law is quick thinking and saw the problems really quick... within a week he had sourced material for making face masks and has converted some of the machines to manufacture face masks instead!

Make sure they are N95s or FFP3 compliment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

This will quickly show which fine and upstanding, brand and heritage conscious manufacturers have the most parts/jobs outsourced to the cheapest possible place of manufacture.

All of them?! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Further to my last comment... my wife is a member of a 'messaging group' in which the CEO's of the various companies in Dongguan share information, most recently this information is regarding the impacts of the virus. Their family business factory is apparently one of the best (top 3) in terms of getting personnel back into the factory and working. They have 50% of the workforce back. The Foxxcon factory in Dongguan still only have 20% of the workforce back.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, No One said:

Make sure they are N95s or FFP3 compliment 

Just heard that they're not selling them... they're making them to be used 'in-house' ... no idea if they are FFP3 compliant. They do check temperatures daily and also have a 14 day quarantine set up for workers returning to the factory though. It's being taken very seriously both in China and here where I live in Taiwan. 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/02/2020 at 07:34, dgul said:

I expect that other companies are also having problem with supply chain, but aren't talking (yet).

It was fortuitous that this started in-earnest in CNY hols as many companies built up stock to 'get over the hump'.

and due to brexit many UK/EU companies had stocked up...

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • Bear Hug
      By Bear Hug
      I am considering visiting Scafell Pike on weekend. It's a long drive (6 hours?) so it would be better to stay somewhere overnight.  However, all places on hotels.com are saying that I may be asked for proof of essential travel. 
      Has anyone had any luck booking a hotel recently? I could call directly and ask. Or, any advice on camping in the wild?
      Worst case scenario, I'd drive there in the evening and sleep in a car for a bit. 
      I also cannot find any information on the current state of the car parks there. Open or closed etc. 
    • Chewing Grass
      By Chewing Grass
      Just been in the kitchen for an early lunch / late breakfast, looked in the fridge, now thinking can't open that, dates ok on that, don't want to waste that etc.
      Whole different mindset, thinking what should I eat.
      Noticed a tomato was on the turn so
      1 Tomato (sliced)
      2 Slices Bread (toasted)
      Cheese sliced.
      Tomato slices griddled with twist of black pepper, light sprinkling of salt and splash of vinegar for 3 to 4 mins until soft.
      Assemble on toast.
      Marvellous
    • Vendetta
      By Vendetta
      My favourite part of Dosbods is the concentration of information, facts and figures posted here.
      @Chewing Grass has posted some really useful graphs on infection and mortality rate.

      I was thinking a thread of COVID19 graphs, charts and data - all found in one place might enhance our experience? 
       
      @Chewing Grass Please repost some of your best data if you could.
      Right then...I will start it off.... 



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...