DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Diary of a house sale....post covid

Sasquatch

sleepwello'nights
4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Our buyers have changed their mind and pulled out of the purchase :PissedOff:

That's after a second one hour visit with us sharing coffee and biscuits, chatting away about all sorts of things and even exchanging contact details.

Must have been something you said? :D

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been on Rightmove and one of the houses near us (similar in size and price) has gone up £50,000 this week! It's been on the market for several months. Interesting tactic.

We're pondering whether we should move to the other agent we spoke to. Get a nice fresh listing, maybe increase the price a little (part way between our current lower price and the original asking price). Sounds mad when you think about it but then we are all living in clown world now.

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

Just been on Rightmove and one of the houses near us (similar in size and price) has gone up £50,000 this week! It's been on the market for several months. Interesting tactic.

We're pondering whether we should move to the other agent we spoke to. Get a nice fresh listing, maybe increase the price a little (part way between our current lower price and the original asking price). Sounds mad when you think about it but then we are all living in clown world now.

You can only respond to how the market is moving.

When I last sold in 2009 we had a mad old bird offer us 420,000 and agent showed us proof of funds. She strung us along for ages until she asked if we wanted to buy her house in exchange. It just wasn't in our our plans and we declined. We never heard anything more from her. It took the EA 6 weeks to confirm that she'd pulled out. By then the market had bounced back up so we remarketed at 450K and sold for 425K.

Long time lurking
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

That's after a second one hour visit with us sharing coffee and biscuits, chatting away about all sorts of things and even exchanging contact details.

FFS!

I'm a massive cynic and sceptic, but now and then I'm genuinely surprised at how people can behave. I would never do this to a seller.

I could send an email/text full of expletives but what will that achieve?

Anyway, back to the drawing board. Maybe we'll sell it again at a higher rate? :wanker:

Did they just change their minds ? 

My Brother in law just had similar happen all agreed before lock down ,then lock-down delayed it the buyers came back and said they were struggling to get the finance what they had before had been pulled so they had to pull out,the EA said they did not even angle for a price reduction

I may be true or it could be they think it`s a bad time  

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

FFS!

I'm a massive cynic and sceptic, but now and then I'm genuinely surprised at how people can behave. I would never do this to a seller.

I could send an email/text full of expletives but what will that achieve?

Anyway, back to the drawing board. Maybe we'll sell it again at a higher rate? :wanker:

Mortgage bank says no.

I doubt t they were stringing you along.

Rather they've had some hard truths on how much their bank will lend to them.

The area I'm in get this all the time.

Loads of people who think the mortgage us going yo be a quick visit.

I've heard of some doing too long visits to a 300k house then eventually going to the bank only to find out they can only borrow 125k.

You need a very very stern word with your EA.

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Asking price.

Its idiots getting over excited.

More fool them n their EA.

leonardratso

hmm, thats a bummer. Wouldnt take them 20 seconds to tell you why now would it.

Ive had that with jobs years ago, gone to interview, then dropped like a hot brick by the agent for no given reason, really annoys me that, at least a reason could see you concentrate on the bad area and improve it. They shoot themselves in the foot really since if ive been approached later i feign interest and string them along then just stop answering the phone. I actually managed to drag one out for 3 months then just changed sim. hehehe cunts.

45 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Did they just change their minds ? 

My Brother in law just had similar happen all agreed before lock down ,then lock-down delayed it the buyers came back and said they were struggling to get the finance what they had before had been pulled so they had to pull out,the EA said they did not even angle for a price reduction

I may be true or it could be they think it`s a bad time  

Absolutely they changed their minds. Apparently they decided they didn't like the decking or some other bullshit reason. They came over to the UK for three days, viewed about 6 houses in the same area of the city. Chose ours, did the dance on the price (we were very reasonable), came again the next day to look at furniture/measure up/exchange details, then went back home to Switzerland. Woke up the next morning and changed their mind. It's outrageous when you think about it. I'd never do this. I'd feel bad buying a low cost item on ebay and then changing my mind.....

We've gone from angry to whatever in about an hour today. Ultimately it's wasted energy. I have the buyers mobile and email address but I'm not going to send a message. I bet a lot of people would though in the same circumstance.

As our agent says "buyers are liars"    :Old:

23 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Mortgage bank says no.

I doubt t they were stringing you along.

Rather they've had some hard truths on how much their bank will lend to them.

The area I'm in get this all the time.

Loads of people who think the mortgage us going yo be a quick visit.

I've heard of some doing too long visits to a 300k house then eventually going to the bank only to find out they can only borrow 125k.

You need a very very stern word with your EA.

Not in this case. Unless they had massive hidden gambling debts, they looked the part financially and had already proved finances to our agent (called in to their office on their way home)

stop_the_craziness
3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Absolutely they changed their minds. Apparently they decided they didn't like the decking or some other bullshit reason. They came over to the UK for three days, viewed about 6 houses in the same area of the city. Chose ours, did the dance on the price (we were very reasonable), came again the next day to look at furniture/measure up/exchange details, the went back home to Switzerland. Woke up the next morning and changed their mind. It's outrageous when you think about it. I'd never do this. I'd feel bad buying a low cost item on ebay and then changing my mind.....

When I was looking in the mad times of 2016 I missed out so many times because I wouldn't want to put in an offer until I was sure, by which time it was already sold.  That kind of pressure in recent times does seem to make people think they might as well offer and then do their thinking afterwards as they can always pull out later.  If the FOMO wasn't so intense I am sure more people would act better.

Long time lurking
2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Absolutely they changed their minds. Apparently they decided they didn't like the decking or some other bullshit reason. They came over to the UK for three days, viewed about 6 houses in the same area of the city. Chose ours, did the dance on the price (we were very reasonable), came again the next day to look at furniture/measure up/exchange details, then went back home to Switzerland. Woke up the next morning and changed their mind. It's outrageous when you think about it. I'd never do this. I'd feel bad buying a low cost item on ebay and then changing my mind.....

We've gone from angry to whatever in about an hour today. Ultimately it's wasted energy. I have the buyers mobile and email address but I'm not going to send a message. I bet a lot of people would though in the same circumstance.

Well yes it`s obvious they changed their minds ,i was just speculating on the reason why,but i suspect you might never know the real reason ,a bit of decking in the scheme of things doesn't sound sound like a deal breaker ,especially so if they traveled from Switzerland  

At least they pulled out now rather than 3 months down the line when you may have incurred costs.  Last house I sold we were at the stage of exchanging contracts and the buyers made up some reason to knock a sizeable sum off the agreed price.  I was being pushed by the EA as well and I'd already began to pack.........It broke the whole chain and even if I could have afforded to proceed I wouldn't have done it on principle.  As you say I would never have done this myself.

Nothing surprises me any more in the world of house buying/selling. Personally I wouldn't get too pally with prospective buyers just in case.

15 minutes ago, janch said:

At least they pulled out now rather than 3 months down the line when you may have incurred costs.  Last house I sold we were at the stage of exchanging contracts and the buyers made up some reason to knock a sizeable sum off the agreed price.  I was being pushed by the EA as well and I'd already began to pack.........It broke the whole chain and even if I could have afforded to proceed I wouldn't have done it on principle.  As you say I would never have done this myself.

Nothing surprises me any more in the world of house buying/selling. Personally I wouldn't get too pally with prospective buyers just in case.

Yes, doing this in three months time would be much worse (but was the more likely outcome in my mind). 

We're going to make sure that the next purchase is a long term one......

14 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Yes, doing this in three months time would be much worse (but was the more likely outcome in my mind). 

We're going to make sure that the next purchase is a long term one......

I've got to say that I only get excited on exchange. Before that I expect the worst!

Just now, CVG said:

I've got to say that I only get excited on exchange. Before that I expect the worst!

I agree totally with that but I then get accused of being a miserable pessimist!

There'll be a Scot on any minute to tell us how much better their system is. To some extent it's true but I hated having to submit "offers over" and not knowing if I was pissing away £K

Green Devil
On 10/07/2020 at 12:24, Sasquatch said:

Perhaps they had a look round the UK after the house viewings and thought what a shit hole, fuck that, even at £1 to 1 chf we aren't living here. Don't blame em TBH.

38 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Perhaps they had a look round the UK after the house viewings and thought what a shit hole, fuck that, even at £1 to 1 chf we aren't living here. Don't blame em TBH.

Quite nice where we live actually. It's not an inner city ghetto! We just want to move back into rural parts.

On the issue of living abroad, I wouldn't be comfortable unless I was absolutely fluent in the local lingo and fully integrated. Things are going to deteriorate during this decade...... 

Democorruptcy
On 10/07/2020 at 12:24, Sasquatch said:

I missed your update Friday about them pulling out. I agree you were very reasonable on the price, there's nowt as queer as folk.

sancho panza
On 12/07/2020 at 16:20, Sasquatch said:

Quite nice where we live actually. It's not an inner city ghetto! We just want to move back into rural parts.

On the issue of living abroad, I wouldn't be comfortable unless I was absolutely fluent in the local lingo and fully integrated. Things are going to deteriorate during this decade...... 

There's a reason the Tailban still have the run of Helmand Province.I wouldn't go there and set up an opium farm if you're not fluent in Pashtun.

32 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

There's a reason the Tailban still have the run of Helmand Province.I wouldn't go there and set up an opium farm if you're not fluent in Pashtun.

I was more thinking of Mallorca and speaking Catalan....but I get your point :D

A pad on the outskirts of Soller would be rather nice

leonardratso

you should tone down your nazi memrobilia display in the front room, that might offend some people.

image.jpeg.9fe68acb88d59b9d7ddfd0bcb7af4522.jpeg

19 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

you should tone down your nazi memrobilia display in the front room, that might offend some people.

image.jpeg.9fe68acb88d59b9d7ddfd0bcb7af4522.jpeg

Let's not start any false stories now! I might have some WW2 binoculars but that's the beginning and end of my 'collection'   *

* we don't show people around the basement....

Archived