DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

1970s houses - are they any good?

spunko

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re that first house.  There are many factors that could be discussed but one glaringly obvious one are the roof tiles.  

From the photo they look close to the end of their life, and there is a pretty sizeable roof area.

The maximum life for that type of tile is about 60 years.   If it was a 1970 house then replacement would be 2030, ie just 8 years away.

12 hours ago, MMax said:

Re that first house.  There are many factors that could be discussed but one glaringly obvious one are the roof tiles.  

From the photo they look close to the end of their life, and there is a pretty sizeable roof area.

The maximum life for that type of tile is about 60 years.   If it was a 1970 house then replacement would be 2030, ie just 8 years away.

I've given up on that house now, EA didn't make it clear but they have recently sub-divided the garden up presumably to put another house on it. Plus the garden is north facing.

Now back to looking a bit further down into Sussex.

12 hours ago, MMax said:

One of the things Im keeping an eye on with my 80s bungalow!
Ive seen a few places on FB marketplace getting rid of my tiles and Ive went round and filled the van a couple of times. Will do for repairs but looking at entire replacement in around 10-20 years time. Well maybe I wont be ;-)

14 minutes ago, spunko said:

I've given up on that house now, EA didn't make it clear but they have recently sub-divided the garden up presumably to put another house on it. Plus the garden is north facing.

From what I can see of that property, I would classify it as a serious gutting job.  You would essentially be starting from a shell, once you had paired it back both internally and externally.

Unless you know your construction stuff, a comprehensive survey would also be necessary, and often they have no comeback, should any later problems come to light.  

As a serious guttting job it would absorb serious money.  It would have to have significant pulling power in terms of location, environs, volume, and low price etc, to make it worthwhile IMO.

Subdivision would also be a deterrent.

On 23/11/2022 at 22:24, wherebee said:

I'd go for it, but I would also delete this thread for doxing risk.  Not from the 77th ( @Adarmo knows who we are already) but general nutters in the future.

You don't want to wake up with @MrPin sucking your toes.

Mr Pin will have to fight me for those toes!

1970s are great. Light and airy, well enough insulated and fairly open plan. Hard to think they're about 50 years old now but they have that rare retro-yet-modern look to them and as some others have posted they make for excellent conversion and refurbs. 

I'd be very happy with one over my 1950s chalet bungalow with its suspended and draughty timber floors provided it had a fireplace and real chimney. I've had my multifuel going for a fortnight burning smokeless coal (eco warrior at heart) and barely used the heating :).

On 29/11/2022 at 18:39, spunko said:

Bit of a different note but I am viewing an old barn shortly. Still unsure if I can be arsed to move, if this barn isn't right I'll probably sit on it for 6 months and see. Anyone every done a barn conversion - either lived in or renovated please? I know they have high ceilings as I work in one , so they're not easy to keep warm.

Not listed thankfully. But needs a lot of work.

ggg.png

If it's not listed you could seek permission to demolish and build from scratch. This allows you to recover all the VAT on the build and there's some very good and quick timber framed houses like Scott-Frame or Dan-Wood etc that could be up in a week :).

On 23/11/2022 at 20:52, spunko said:

horrible fake clad things

In the car world, you have the "sleeper". Typically an older, mundane car in externally tired condition, with an LS engine and Nitron suspension. I quite like the idea of a sleeper house. Dowdy 70s thing on the outside, beautiful on the inside. The number of houses I see in white render with grey windows and ten grands worth of front door is, I think, a good example of the times we live in. No imagination, usually clashes horribly with the surroundings, but hey, look how much money I've spent.

On 01/12/2022 at 15:54, AWW said:

In the car world, you have the "sleeper". Typically an older, mundane car in externally tired condition, with an LS engine and Nitron suspension. I quite like the idea of a sleeper house. Dowdy 70s thing on the outside, beautiful on the inside. The number of houses I see in white render with grey windows and ten grands worth of front door is, I think, a good example of the times we live in. No imagination, usually clashes horribly with the surroundings, but hey, look how much money I've spent.

A lot of those sorts of houses are owned by either brash Essex sorts, or Indians. The wider and more ornate the front door, the better, if you're an Indian clearly!

• 3 weeks later...
PatronizingGit
On 28/11/2022 at 19:35, Bricks & Mortar said:

PS - the lady with the asbestos for plasterboard house paid for a good survey, but they missed it.  Apparently, because it's hidden behind wallpaper.  I could tell you the difference just by knocking on it like you would a front door.  Has more of a 'ring' to it.

Do surveys even look for such things?! I was expecting the survey to reveal such things when I bought a house of that era.

Seems the basic homebuyers report is a man walks round & notes 'is the house falling down/does it have inch wide cracks' 

Even the most expensive common survey only seems to involve the surveyer entering the attic & looking for leaks, broken beams etc.

No normal survey involves drilling into walls to see whats inside of them etc. Nothing that would reveal asbestos. I guess mortgages companies expect 1 in a couple hundred homes to be seriously defective & include that assumption in their premium calculations, rather than going to the cost of forensically inspecting every inch of a house.

Very well-built houses. From the 1960s onwards they used block as an inside skin as opposed to brick on the inside and outside. Damp and condensation issues no longer an issue as in pre 1960s builds. Also block is suitable for cavity wall insulation, often this is a problem with a double brick skin as the walls can't breath.

On 30/11/2022 at 13:46, spunko said:

I was just coming here to say you should buy it, tear it down and stick half a dozen shitboxes on it for the mad gainzzz.

Looks like some spiv beat us to it.

46 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

I was just coming here to say you should buy it, tear it down and stick half a dozen shitboxes on it for the mad gainzzz.

Looks like some spiv beat us to it.

Lol. Sorry, just saw this post. Its the way of the world now. You cant buy a house that has a garden now. Anything big enough for a shitbox and you can double the price thanks to government planning rules now. Tossers. Tarmac over a few fields. Then we could all have gardens. Fuckers. 

Archived