DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Wanna buy a barracks?

sarahbell

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126820367#/?channel=RES_NEW

The Defensible Barracks at Pembroke Dock, is a Grade II* Listed Victorian-era fortification and barracks in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is a huge, renaissance style, 20-sided stone fort surrounded
by a dry moat. A parade ground occupies the centre of the fort, enclosed by blocks of barrack
rooms, mess areas, magazines and gun sheds.

Chewing Grass

Be a suitable place for the Welsh Elon Musk, however Wales doesn't have one and Pembroke is the arse end especially from November to April.

Another with sitting tenants and the leaseholder can just keep extending the lease term.

Tenure: Freehold. There is an existing completed apartment (Seymour Apartment) within the east wing of the property, which is subject to the balance of a 125 year leasehold interest and occupied by tenants of the leaseholder. A copy of
the lease is available on request.

24 minutes ago, Option5 said:

MGF

Someone will stick that on eBay as a "barn find" no doubt.

5 minutes ago, 23rdian said:

I thought that at first. Or is it an MX-3?

I wanted @Option5 to be wrong for once and for it to be an MG TF but alas it's an MG F :(

-

It appears to have its own moat and quasi drawbridge - my ultimate goal when it comes to house ownership, having a drawbridge that I can pull up and avoid paying any more tax to HMRC just to see what they do. If I owned it I would declare myself sovereign and king of Pembroke Dock barracks and exempt from paying any taxes.

3 hours ago, Noallegiance said:

If I had a spare few £million I'd have it. Really like that for the zombie apocalypse.

At a guess, at 47000 sq ft, allowing the bog standard £1k per square foot for a Listed Building, that comes to £47m refurb budget :S Be interested in who is going to buy this, it is too large for a retirement home, so the only option really is conversion to flats, but that's a lot of wonga to throw at something in a falling market, particularly in remote SW Wales.

A high-risk strategy would be to try to get its listing status removed, level it, and then turn it into Redrow slaveboxes but again in SW Wales there's probably not enough demand for 2000+ new homes anyway.

49 minutes ago, spunko said:

At a guess, at 47000 sq ft, allowing the bog standard £1k per square foot for a Listed Building, that comes to £47m refurb budget :S Be interested in who is going to buy this, it is too large for a retirement home, so the only option really is conversion to flats, but that's a lot of wonga to throw at something in a falling market, particularly in remote SW Wales.

A high-risk strategy would be to try to get its listing status removed, level it, and then turn it into Redrow slaveboxes but again in SW Wales there's probably not enough demand for 2000+ new homes anyway.

It would make an excellent dosbods island. Put some gun nests up and tell planning and English heritage to fuckoff.  :)

Bricks & Mortar

Seems its got a history of developers jumping in then finding they couldn't make the numbers work.

This piece from 2019, says its just been bought to make into flats, a wine bar and a museum. Developers budget is £5million but they was still working on the plans.  Also includes the trivia that planning exists for changing it to a 56 bed hotel and flats, , presumably an earlier developer had a go before them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/homes-property/property-news/inside-abandoned-victorian-barracks-dominates-17700390

6 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Seems its got a history of developers jumping in then finding they couldn't make the numbers work.

This piece from 2019, says its just been bought to make into flats, a wine bar and a museum. Developers budget is £5million but they was still working on the plans.  Also includes the trivia that planning exists for changing it to a 56 bed hotel and flats, , presumably an earlier developer had a go before them.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/homes-property/property-news/inside-abandoned-victorian-barracks-dominates-17700390

Balls to that.

Can you give me a quote for a double block wall to seal off that entrance just in case I win the premium bonds next week?

On 29/12/2022 at 14:42, sarahbell said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/126820367#/?channel=RES_NEW

The Defensible Barracks at Pembroke Dock, is a Grade II* Listed Victorian-era fortification and barracks in Pembrokeshire, Wales. It is a huge, renaissance style, 20-sided stone fort surrounded
by a dry moat. A parade ground occupies the centre of the fort, enclosed by blocks of barrack
rooms, mess areas, magazines and gun sheds.

No. 

Amazes me that CADW heritage expect some mug to buy that and renovate it to their requurements 🤣🤣 theyre deluded if they think they can find such a fool. If they want to specify what to di, perhaps the clowns should renovate it themselves. 😭😱 The only hope for that is to delist it and knock it down. Then a developer will stick up some nice new rabbit hutches at 350k a hutch. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, katar said:

Could SERCO buy it and house refugees?

Surround it with land mines and use a large catapult to send supplies in ?

There was a programme on this on BBC4 the other week, not that I watch BBC4, Mr Telly Tax, but I disgress...

Anyway, not sure when it was filmed but at the time it wsa owned by some Welsh bloke, quite young so doubt he had inherited his fortune. Seemed to be a bit autistic about forts and bought it on a whim, and he also owned another fort somewhere. I'm guessing it was filmed a few years ago and he is the current vendor.

He didn't seem the property developer type as he was genuinely interested in its history.

Was quite an interesting programme tbh. There was another bloke who bought a mansion in N. Wales that had previously burnt down, he was restoring one room at a time, and had done literally about 1% of the renovations within 5 years. WTF. Talk about thinking positive, Christ.

Archived