DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Did Thatcher 'screw up'?

MrXxxx

1 minute ago, humdrum said:

You are a stranger in your own country.

I am a stranger in my own country.

And unless we are living in Little Snoring where the vicar reads us snippets from the Daily Telegraph about our obligations to our betters after Evensong, then we are all strangers in our own country. And it is not caused by immigrants, but time.

Lol you can blame time for anything you can’t stop time .but they could have stoped millions rocking up in under 2 decades .I’ve no loyalty or stake in society now I loathe my own country with a vengeance I’m going to take it for everthing I can ,fuck it .

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shamone said:

Lol 😂 

I know it stops scientists drs teachers nurses in their tracks the bbc can’t answer it it’s the first question I ask people who quote thete job and education at me in Facebook rows . I stoped a debate with a group of nurses claiming why they deserved a 20% pay rise .I’m like if your so good answer this simple biology question and I’m like I bet none of you give the correct answer ….. the conversation was stoped dead it killed there entire argument why because none were brave enough to risk there PIN number  due to the looney left and hurty words science /educated my arse

12 minutes ago, humdrum said:

And unless we are living in Little Snoring where the vicar reads us snippets from the Daily Telegraph about our obligations to our betters after Evensong, then we are all strangers in our own country. And it is not caused by immigrants, but time.

Everything changes. Always!

We as individuals just have to deal with it in our personal circumstances.

Have to say though I’m glad that I am an older person.

My daughter was discussing having kids after she’s married. I don’t offer an opinion it’s up to her and future husband.

I hope they don’t have kids though.

I’ve enough worries about my almost 30 year old offspring.

I’m not optimistic about the future of the uk, or wider world, thinking about things in general.

14 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Lol you can blame time for anything you can’t stop time .but they could have stoped millions rocking up in under 2 decades .I’ve no loyalty or stake in society now I loathe my own country with a vengeance I’m going to take it for everthing I can ,fuck it .

Well, there is luck to the man. I have been taking this country for all I can get for the last 76 years, so I can only hope that there is something left :)

2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Everything changes. Always!

We as individuals just have to deal with it in our personal circumstances.

Have to say though I’m glad that I am an older person.

My daughter was discussing having kids after she’s married. I don’t offer an opinion it’s up to her and future husband.

I hope they don’t have kids though.

I’ve enough worries about my almost 30 year old offspring.

I’m not optimistic about the future of the uk, or wider world, thinking about things in general.

My eldest grandchildren have only just started university, so I imagine that I will have to wait a bit for any great grandchildren.

Still, I ain't any sort of spring chicken and even Herself is inclined to admit she isn't a teenager any more, so I hope to see the next generation before they put me into the oven at Golders Green :)

6 hours ago, haroldshand said:

Regardless of what our(now official) Number 1 c*** on Dosbods has to say @SNACR I was an anti Thatch comedy store going lefty/anti fascist anti racist   of the late 1980's and early 1990's, I despised the Woman. Then time passes you see endless politicians dying without even a ounce of emotion and then I get chocked up when Mrs Thatcher died knowing I hated her at the time.

Apart from knowing it was a better world then on reflection and  I had my first home at 23 years old living in a wonderful   3 bedroom mortgaged terrace, hard work paid and the local community was just brilliant, yes immigrants @SNACR from arriving only 20 years earlier but they were the right type.

But above all Thatcher conducted her politics by saying  "it does what it says on the can" and if you do not like it kick me out, every politician since has bullshitted and stood for nothing and gone ahead and run the country as they see fit and fuck the electorate, for that alone and regardless of  the mistakes she did make I applaud her.

She was simply the most honest leader I’ve seen in my life time she tried to deliver what she said she would .she made fuck ups even churcill made loads but yes I loathed her has a youngster I loved the spitting image piss takes of her but I’ve realised at least she tried her best and just look where she asked for her ashes scattered lol

14 hours ago, humdrum said:

I should not have to pay taxes for public services to translate for people who have not paid in.

I shouldn't have to pay tax to benefit people who send lots of money "home" and wouldn't support us at cricket.

I shouldn't have to watch money laundering businesses fill the local high street. 

Virgil Caine
19 hours ago, Colliedog1 said:

Before Thatcher councils did sell council houses but not 4 bed ones. My parents wanted to buy before right to buy but the council wouldn't sell. My friends parents could buy their 3 bed. As soon as right to buy was introduced my parents bought. My parents never sold up and moved to a private estate like the majority did. A family member still lives in the house. My parents never voted Conservative so right to buy didn't buy their votes. 

The council have recently built some new council houses and these can be bought via right to buy.Crazy. Right to buy was a good idea but the discounts were too generous.

Councils always had the right to sell Council houses. What varied was the discounts in place. Conservative governments generally favoured higher discounts but generally until 1979 they were not high enough to attract buyers. In the period 1952-1980  370,000 public dwellings were sold off. However, analysts of the figures shows that a third of these sales happened in 1979-1980 when the Thatcher government first increased the discounts available. The legislation actually forcing Councils to sell houses to tenants (ie the Right To Buy rather than the Right To Sell) was introduced in 1980. The discounts were also pretty generous. A tenant was only required to live in a Council property  for 3 years to qualify for a 33% discount off the asking price. Each additional year as a tenant on top of that attracted another 1%. The discounts were worth a great deal more than the actual rent that the tenants had paid. In every way it was a huge giveaway to people who happened to have the good fortune to occupy Council property. I would imagine any families or individuals who had quit Council property to buy in the private sector in the late 1970s must have been well hacked off at missing the giveaway.

https://historyandpolicy.org/policy-papers/papers/the-right-to-buy-history-and-prospect

The problem with Right to Buy was the it established the principle  that housing was essentially a one way bet where the government  would ensure that people never lost. That has got embedded in the national psyche so that fixed asset price speculation got to be seen as the road to wealth rather than investment in production. The Thatcher government housing policy was therefore the antithesis of the free market principles proposed by Adam Smith etc and is one of the main reasons why Britain is not really a capitalist economy as government policies prove over and over again.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

I should not have to pay taxes for public services to translate for people who have not paid in.

I shouldn't have to pay tax to benefit people who send lots of money "home" and wouldn't support us at cricket.

I shouldn't have to watch money laundering businesses fill the local high street. 

You should not have to pay income tax to pay to build battleships to fight in the Napoleonic wars, which have been over for 2007 years, but you do.

I should not have to pay taxes to fund hypochondriacs who throw tantrums over an outbreak of flu that largely affected a few cottontops who were going to pop their clogs anyway.

16 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Councils always had the right to sell Council houses. What varied was the discounts in place. Conservative governments generally favoured higher discounts but generally until 1979 they were not high enough to attract buyers. In the period 1952-1980  370,000 public dwellings were sold off. However, analysts of the figures shows that a third of these sales happened in 1979-1980 when the Thatcher government first increased the discounts available. The legislation actually forcing Councils to sell houses to tenants (ie the Right To Buy rather than the Right To Sell) was introduced in 1980. The discounts were also pretty generous. A tenant was only required to live in a Council property  for 3 years to qualify for a 33% discount off the asking price. Each additional year as a tenant on top of that attracted another 1%. The discounts were worth a great deal more than the actual rent that the tenants had paid. In every way it was a huge giveaway to people who happened to have the good fortune to occupy Council property. I would imagine any families or individuals who had quit Council property to buy in the private sector in the late 1970s must have been well hacked off at missing the giveaway.

https://historyandpolicy.org/policy-papers/papers/the-right-to-buy-history-and-prospect

The problem with Right to Buy was the it established the principle  that housing was essentially a one way bet where the government  would ensure that people never lost. That has got embedded in the national psyche so that fixed asset price speculation got to be seen as the road to wealth rather than investment in production. The Thatcher government housing policy was therefore the antithesis of the free market principles proposed by Adam Smith etc and is one of the main reasons why Britain is not really a capitalist economy as government policies prove over and over again.

I am not so sure about the Right To Buy Discount. My local rag got a Labour Councillor roaring drunk one night and he admitted that the housing department was in such a state, that even if they gave their housing stock away for free and threw in a packet of tea, the council finances would be a hell of a lot better off.

This is very much a personal experience, but to me an agreeable side effect of the Right to Buy was the administering of a timely kick up the backside into the well meaning, but somewhat patronising, bloated and extremely inefficient local  housing department

Fatcher was like one if those fussy nagging mothers who go on n on about being smart, getting a job etcetc.

Sort of really annoying but acting in your best long term interest.

Likes of Tony Blair are like wierd teachers who befriend young kids to fuck them up the arse.

On 06/01/2023 at 12:18, MrXxxx said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/homeandproperty/thatcher-property-revolution-undone-by-plunging-home-ownership/ar-AA1618JH?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=65311a45f22b4d129d2f3277e66c9014

I don't think the Thatcher governments idea here has failed perse, although I didn't agree with her policy of selling off social housing; should have been means tested. I feel what has created the issue is successive government policies since, that have help to support and inflate house prices.

A massive amount of tax payers money goes to paying rents for private landlords

11 million people rent in the UK, IF a BIG IF,, They retire.. They're pensions will not cover they're rent, never mind food, gas, electric..etc When we owned the houses this problem did not exist!

Add to that Thatcher gave away 42.5 billion barrels of North sea oil plus gas, profit from the oil wat around $1.5 trillion!

add to that we subsidise French, German trains and electricity as we gave them our infrastructure to profit from 

We also subsidise oil drilling and pay to clean up the rigs once they have finished taking the profit, around £60 billion to clean up north sea oil rigs.. add to that they paid no tax for YEARS!

Add to that water companies £70 billion in debt, borrowing against the asset and sending money to tax havens, rivers and sea full of sewearage..

Thatcher started the destruction of the UK, everything that's wrong started with that evil CUNT

On 07/01/2023 at 16:44, humdrum said:

I am not so sure about the Right To Buy Discount. My local rag got a Labour Councillor roaring drunk one night and he admitted that the housing department was in such a state, that even if they gave their housing stock away for free and threw in a packet of tea, the council finances would be a hell of a lot better off.

This is very much a personal experience, but to me an agreeable side effect of the Right to Buy was the administering of a timely kick up the backside into the well meaning, but somewhat patronising, bloated and extremely inefficient local  housing department

sounds like rubbish, paying private landlords is bankrupting councils, I sold my flat to a council trying to house people, said it was cheaper than paying landlords, 

On 07/01/2023 at 12:05, sarahbell said:

If the poor have stolen all the money, how come they don't have any?

Stop reading the daily fail designed to make you angry at the wrong people, 5 offshore tax avoiding billionaires own our media.

THE RICH have stolen all the money, what services? they have all been destroyed,, in 2014 the NHS won an award for best healthcare in the world, Tories have privatised it from the inside to they're mates.

THE RICH WILL KILL US ALL FOR PROFIT, migrants are a diversion, no coincidence immigration is at record highs under the Tories, who have been gas lighting the public they will stop immigration!

Whilst removing our rights and robbing us blind

5 minutes ago, macca said:

sounds like rubbish, paying private landlords is bankrupting councils, I sold my flat to a council trying to house people, said it was cheaper than paying landlords, 

Well there you are.

I was there and you weren't, but I am sure that you understand these matters better than I do.

On 06/01/2023 at 21:57, King Penda said:

I know it stops scientists drs teachers nurses in their tracks the bbc can’t answer it it’s the first question I ask people who quote thete job and education at me in Facebook rows . I stoped a debate with a group of nurses claiming why they deserved a 20% pay rise 

Because they cant afford to pay they're bills?

Because the NHS has 130'000 staff shortage as no one can afford to work on shit wages..

THE RICH are the enemy.. are people really so gullible.. stop reading billionaire owned press

Even the heads of the BBC are Tory party donors,, FFS

29 minutes ago, macca said:

Because they cant afford to pay they're bills?

Because the NHS has 130'000 staff shortage as no one can afford to work on shit wages..

THE RICH are the enemy.. are people really so gullible.. stop reading billionaire owned press

Even the heads of the BBC are Tory party donors,, FFS

I deserve a nurses pay at least because I can say that Sandra with a penis and a bushy beard is a male .I bet professor witty of sage would not come to that conclusion. The nhs lol don’t make me laugh those cunts stood and watched 50,000 care workers loose there jobs and said fuck all .only when they realised that they would have to sack 10% of its own staff   Did covid suddenly vanish fuck them if covid was so deadly 10% plus of the nhs staff did not get vaccinated it means at least 10% don’t give a fuck about the patients.now fuck off before I’m forced to taunt you yet again ….sage is the nhs sage put you into lockdown bankrupted the country it advised the government look into sage ps look into the nhs sending people with covid into care homes and killing tens of thousands more people to free up bed space it’s fucking comical they blame the government lol. The irony is the nhs was complicit even councils threatened to withhold funding for care homes that wanted them testing before admission the nhs are a bunch of cunts at the top

On 06/01/2023 at 23:23, King Penda said:

She made many x council sink estates nice places to live and people that bought them went to work 

I lived on a council estate at the end of her reign, and it was still a shithole.  

I suspect the cleaning up of estates was more to do with local council ethics than her policies.

5 hours ago, wherebee said:

I lived on a council estate at the end of her reign, and it was still a shithole.  

I suspect the cleaning up of estates was more to do with local council ethics than her policies.

It did not happen instantly and blair did not remove the right to buy 

On 06/01/2023 at 14:12, Virgil Caine said:

The public Housing  stock was often sold off at below market price so it was essentially a complete contradiction of the free market principles on which Thatcherism was supposed to be based. It was pretty much vote buying with public money which basically worked for the Conservatives until the wheels eventually fell off in the 1990s.

But was it sold for less than market value? I'd suspect that if you were to look at the figures for any council house, run by the council, when you take all the figures into account it would have a negative value.

On 06/01/2023 at 21:39, humdrum said:

Funny enough, I've been casting my eye around Little Snoring.

1 hour ago, Rare Bear said:

Funny enough, I've been casting my eye around Little Snoring.

Been there.

Alright for filming Miss Marples movies, but the restaurants close for lunch and well, that is about it.

Snake Plissken

Right to buy wasn't the problem on its own, its that they coupled that with preventing the councils from building new council houses through borrowing and only a fraction of the profit of the sale of the council houses going to the council, most went to the treasury. If for every house sold at least one was built then it would have been fine, but I suspect we basically saw with the privitisation of housing, like water, power, the aim was not to improve housing but to make sure the treasury had a short term boost to fund tax cuts, and longer term the richest could make profit from housing as more people who used to rely on renting council homes would have to rent private. So like most of the privatised industries, you end up with the state giving money to the richest. Its ended up as a disaster for the country but its worked as intended privatising social housing.

My parents bought their council house 40 years ago and were fans of Mrs Thatcher. They bought the house thinking that the sale price would be ploughed into new council houses but as we all know this wasn't to be. 9_9

Archived