DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Factory farming students

beefer

Spiney Norman

That place looks shite for students.

When I was student in a number of HMO's we always had a Communal room with chairs and tv. This gave the house a heart, a place talk and laugh with your new mates.

I guess times have changed and the hapiness and well being of the people who live there are not as important as the owner maximising income.:wanker:

One percent
18 minutes ago, beefer said:

This property in my city, Gloucester, only exists with a an annual income of £21,000 because of student loans.

I think it's immoral to rob from the future of young people so they can live in a converted outbuilding with no living space.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/132419744#/?channel=RES_BUY

Government are robbing students blind…

He won’t be laughing if they set up a picnic area on the flat roof which is the first thing I’d be thinking of doing come summer .flat roof drunk students what could Possably go wrong

Belfast is building nothing but massive student housing blocks, hundreds upon hundreds of privately managed rooms that cost almost as much to rent as a one bed flat would.

There seems to be the expectation that there will never be a shortage of students wanting to pay big money to stay there.

There was another block planned that got rejected recently that would have had 795 rooms alone.

I think the whole town is going to resemble those big blocks out of Judge Dredd full of Asian students in a few years time.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Just keeping things going by getting the young to pay for their elders, same as the pension system.

Spiney Norman
19 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Belfast is building nothing but massive student housing blocks, hundreds upon hundreds of privately managed rooms that cost almost as much to rent as a one bed flat would.

Same in Birmingham, I was on the roof of a building in central Brum and I counted 26 tower cranes most building hi-rise student accomodation. Loads of Chinease students around as well.  Quite why the Chinease would want to study in UK let alone in Birmingham beats me.

When people realise that a higher education isn't the key to better life it once was, and the arse falls out of the University education model these will be the slum accomodation of the future.

Still as a lift engineer the more hi-rise buildings on my door step the better. :)

19 minutes ago, Spiney Norman said:

Same in Birmingham, I was on the roof of a building in central Brum and I counted 26 tower cranes most building hi-rise student accomodation. Loads of Chinease students around as well.  Quite why the Chinease would want to study in UK let alone in Birmingham beats me.

The sense of freedom must be immense compared to what they have grown up with. 

Spiney Norman
9 minutes ago, Stuey said:

The sense of freedom must be immense compared to what they have grown up with. 

Yeah, ok I get that.

But Birmingham is an utterly depressing shit hole, full of brown people and the homeless.

belfastchild
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

There seems to be the expectation that there will never be a shortage of students wanting to pay big money to stay there.

There was another block planned that got rejected recently that would have had 795 rooms alone.

I think the whole town is going to resemble those big blocks out of Judge Dredd full of Asian students in a few years time.

I made a fair bit of money in early p2p lending for building blocks all over the UK. Was always going to end in tears.
Was over queens direction last weekend working. A lot of the places my mates used to share had to let and for sale signs outside. You would never get that in term time years ago.
Even noticed on the radio ads from Belfast City Council telling students to dob hmo owners in if they werent on the proper register (BCC running it for all of NI). Noose is tightening on the student btls.
Covid killed a lot of everything, even the newbuilds, people living 10 miles away used to live in student digs, they are now commuting , so parking at queens is ridiculous.
Why would you pay to live in a grotty student house when you can move into a shiny new 'apartment' with your mates on the same floor for the same money. Everything shiny and new, paid monthly, sound familiar? Or just get it added to your loan...
If you think these rooms are shite, you can rent some  in the summer across the uk, they arent bad at all.
Of course the developers will take a bath (unless the unis try to bail them out or invested) and of course there were the schemes were you could 'buy' a couple off plan and the management company would rent them to students for you. Why the fuck wouldnt they do that themselves if there was loads of money in it...

12 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Why would you pay to live in a grotty student house when you can move into a shiny new 'apartment' with your mates on the same floor for the same money.

I'd have thought they were almost twice as expensive as a room in a shitty Holylands HMO? Or is a room in the Holylands £500+ these days?

I'm rarely down Botanic way these days but on the rare occasion I am I don't actually see that many students, as in white norn irish students. There the enrichment that's taken over the area and a smattering of wealthy Asian students in the expensive managed blocks and thats it.

I wonder are fewer Norn Irish students actually living near uni, are more choosing to stay at home these days?

They're still building these new managed blocks so there must be the demand - but yeah if you're one of those people looking to rent a dilapidated 5 bed house as a 6 bed 'HMO' to mug students I think that's gonna get more and more difficult.

One percent
4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I'd have thought they were almost twice as expensive as a room in a shitty Holylands HMO? Or is a room in the Holylands £500+ these days?

I'm rarely down Botanic way these days but on the rare occasion I am I don't actually see that many students, as in white norn irish students. There the enrichment that's taken over the area and a smattering of wealthy Asian students in the expensive managed blocks and thats it.

I wonder are fewer Norn Irish students actually living near uni, are more choosing to stay at home these days?

They're still building these new managed blocks so there must be the demand - but yeah if you're one of those people looking to rent a dilapidated 5 bed house as a 6 bed 'HMO' to mug students I think that's gonna get more and more difficult.

I’m convinced that the shiny new student blocks will end up housing the gimmigrants. 

belfastchild
Just now, JoeDavola said:

I'd have thought they were almost twice as expensive as a room in a shitty Holylands HMO?

I'm rarely down Botanic way these days but on the rare occasion I am I don't actually see that many students, as in white norn irish students. There the enrichment and the wealthy Asian students in the expensive managed blocks and thats it.

Only going on what folk I know said, yes more expensive, not twice I dont think but all electric, heating, internet etc is covered. Not that that usually is a big deal but enough.
It used to be one year in halls then out into the real world. I know folk across the water did this but they were tempted to move into some of the other halls.

The living at home thing is definitely a covid hangover, that and the prices of stuff, go home and yer ma cooks your dinner etc. Havent heard about lately, areas seem quieter but back to being a bollocks to get somewhere to park again.

Down in the holylands and over near tates avenue all I see is foreigners now. Loads of to let and for sale signs.

5 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Down in the holylands and over near tates avenue all I see is foreigners now.

Aye the likes of this are was all foreigners 5 years ago so I imagine it's worse now:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.583751,-5.924005,28.37h,-1.02p,0.05z,X0wr7tACs_6u583LYGkaeA

Can see the entire Holylands area being all immigrants in a few years as it becomes too shitty even for the students.

belfastchild
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Aye the likes of this are was all foreigners 5 years ago so I imagine it's worse now:

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@54.583751,-5.924005,28.37h,-1.02p,0.05z,X0wr7tACs_6u583LYGkaeA

Can see the entire Holylands area being all immigrants in a few years as it becomes too shitty even for the students.

To be fair, that always had more foreigners. Thats the chinese supermarket/warehouse on the right hand side. But I know what you mean that street to the left was all foreigners, like every house I saw whereas it used to be a mix with mostly students years ago.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I’m convinced that the shiny new student blocks will end up housing the gimmigrants. 

They will they are putting them up everywhere including stoke

One percent
8 minutes ago, King Penda said:

They will they are putting them up everywhere including stoke

I do wonder if it isn’t part of a plan. They can hardly say that they are building accommodation for the wave upon wave of gimmigrants. No one is going to bat an eyelid at yet more student accommodation.  They narrative will be that there are just not enough students. That there is no point in them lying empty when they could be used for temporary accommodation for the new British. 

24 minutes ago, One percent said:

I do wonder if it isn’t part of a plan. They can hardly say that they are building accommodation for the wave upon wave of gimmigrants. No one is going to bat an eyelid at yet more student accommodation.  They narrative will be that there are just not enough students. That there is no point in them lying empty when they could be used for temporary accommodation for the new British. 

This is exactly what they are doing

Sorry to hear you live in Gloucester. Probably one of the worst towns I've been to, excluding Romford and Ilford anyway. Guess one of its saving graces is you can get out quickly.

I mean no offence, but are there any nice parts of Gloucester? Just had a quick ogle at the town centre and doesn't look too bad.

In a way it reminds me of Rochester. Has a cathedral, like Gloucester, and the immediate area around that is nice.

Maybe the people are nice. In Rochester people always seem friendly. Well the native ones anyway.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

Sorry to hear you live in Gloucester. Probably one of the worst towns I've been to, excluding Romford and Ilford anyway. Guess one of its saving graces is you can get out quickly.

I mean no offence, but are there any nice parts of Gloucester? Just had a quick ogle at the town centre and doesn't look too bad.

I quite like Gloucester.  It has a nice Cathedral and Docks plus some intact historical buildings (it's no York!).  I had an hour to spend in Swindon the other day while waiting for my train connection.  That is a place that is in serious decline with not much going for it apart from it being easy to get to London or Bristol.  Gloucester is big enough to have everything you need but small enough to meet a lot of familiar faces when walking around.

5 minutes ago, beefer said:

I quite like Gloucester.  It has a nice Cathedral and Docks plus some intact historical buildings (it's no York!).  I had an hour to spend in Swindon the other day while waiting for my train connection.  That is a place that is in serious decline with not much going for it apart from it being easy to get to London or Bristol.  Gloucester is big enough to have everything you need but small enough to meet a lot of familiar faces when walking around.

Actually, you have a point with Swindon. But I can't dislike it too much because, as bad as the town is, the surrounding villages and general area are very beautiful.

Maybe we need a worst towns thread :D

6 hours ago, beefer said:

This property in my city, Gloucester, only exists with a an annual income of £21,000 because of student loans.

I think it's immoral to rob from the future of young people so they can live in a converted outbuilding with no living space.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/132419744#/?channel=RES_BUY

St Johns in Worcester is horrificly priced for normal people.

HMO is shit. Students 50% of the population of the Teens in UK and HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of foreign students mean massive demand for housing.

Red Debt Redemption
5 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Its not for students, smart cities. 

On 10/03/2023 at 15:28, One percent said:

Sort of.

The HE./education blob is robbbing students blind.

We are missing a market maechnism that will end the likes of, say, Fulcester FE college offering a law degree t osonme grownth 3 GCSES.  that wll cost UKGIV ~60k and the student 10% oftheir earnign voer the next ~35y of their life, even if they onyl work in MaccyDs.

Acutally law is a good test.

How many students do a law degree?

How many people go on to complete a training contract?

Set the the funding for law degreres to the nubmer of TC x 2, to allow some wiggle room.

On 10/03/2023 at 20:50, beefer said:

Lats 10-15y has seen the population fo Swindon is now 20%-30% 'Portuguese'

By Portuguese I mean Goan.

Yet no one mentions this. Ever.

And Swindon aint a small town.

Archived