DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Boomer idiot MEW sad face

Boglet

One of my neighbours did similar for a smaller percentage, but to fund chemotherapy for her dying husband as the NHS refused.  I asked her at the time if she was sure she was comfortable with the idea and she insisted she was.  Now she's a bit grumpy about what she has "given away" and was looking at ways to undo it.

She has no dependents, so no real problem as far as I can see.  Ideally, to my mind, she needs to spend the entire value of the house before she dies.

• Agree 7
  • Informative 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001pmcb

Here's the interview, starts at about 19 mins.

I really can't understand what the gripe is. The only reason you owe a lot is because your house has 5X'd. Perhaps you'd be happier if your house was still valued the same as when you bought it?

I have to say though - nothing says 'we're about to blow an enormous housing bubble' like pushing shared appreciation loans.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

They were only offered between 1996 and 1998 - so in other words they've had 25 years to arrange an alternative. Now that the mum is on her way out, the son sees only pound signs. Sickening.

Yep, as I posted on another thread where this came up, the son has suddenly realised that the bank owns his inheritance.  Tough.  
ive a couple of mates, both single with no dependents. In their position id be going for equity release and spending the lot. No point leaving it to the cat charity. Even though that would keep my daughter in work.  xD

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Loki said:

The new car is probably bean cans by now as well xD

'Hope you enjoyed that car dad, it was the most expensive Rover 200 ever'

• Agree 1
  • Lol 5

1 minute ago, Boglet said:

'Hope you enjoyed that car dad, it was the most expensive Rover 200 ever'

I’m thinking that there are a lot of people in this situation currently. Not through the financial deal these people took, but through scratters and idiots that have over leveraged , thinking interest rates were at a new normal. It’s going to be interesting watching it all unravel. 

• Agree 5

27 minutes ago, Harley said:

So nothing to do with boomer other than in the title and last sentence.  Virtual Dosbods signalling!  :D

I already said not technically boomers.

However for my purposes anyone who was of working age to benefit from all of:

-Final salary pensions

-Sensibly priced housing

-miras

-No higher education fees

-Ask sid

-a cohesive society

-etc

Is basically a boomer

😉

Edited by Boglet
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I’m thinking that there are a lot of people in this situation currently. Not through the financial deal these people took, but through scratters and idiots that have over leveraged , thinking interest rates were at a new normal. It’s going to be interesting watching it all unravel. 

Isn't it.

All the jam today plate spinners, remortgaging to unlock the equity in their homes, maxing the credit card and switching for the the zero interest introductory offers, cars on lease or PCP because they want a better one in three years.

They will own nothing.

And they will owe a lot.

Financial recklessness has been actively encouraged for twenty five years at the same time as wages have consistently lost real value to inflation; the growth in debt has offset the lack of pay increases.

And now, with interest rates back to normal levels, for the reckless comes the reckoning.

• Agree 10
  • Informative 1

MrLibertyRedux
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Isn't it.

All the jam today plate spinners, remortgaging to unlock the equity in their homes, maxing the credit card and switching for the the zero interest introductory offers, cars on lease or PCP because they want a better one in three years.

They will own nothing.

And they will owe a lot.

Financial recklessness has been actively encouraged for twenty five years at the same time as wages have consistently lost real value to inflation; the growth in debt has offset the lack of pay increases.

And now, with interest rates back to normal levels, for the reckless comes the reckoning.

Happened to a relative my age back in '08.

18 months beforehand "got this", "got that" "done this" "done that", complete with schoolboy sneer and hand chop.

PCP Range Rover and high end Mercedes. Pilots licence, exotic holidays. 10's of thousands worth if not more in stupid toys. House worth over half a million quid that they bought in the 90's for 80k and had no equity in. Was bragging at a wake.

End of '08 at another funeral "I've had to go bankkrupt".

Basically remortgaged nearly half a million quid on lifestyle.

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
spellink
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 2
  • Vomit 1

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

A pincer movement a Russian general would be proud of.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1