DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

CCC's weather propaganda having it's effect. :-)

swiss_democracy_for_all

swiss_democracy_for_all

@cccs weather propaganda is obviously working - now we know who is paying him to do it! :D

House prices BOOOOMINGGGG @spunko

Mind you, I noticed this line in the article.  That's a bit less than certain claims I've seen...... :P (and more in line with what I'd expect)

"The region enjoys more sunshine than anywhere else in Scotland, with the Met Office reporting that Dunbar sees approximately 1,500 hours of sun per year, while Edinburgh sees 1,380."

The pretty UK seaside region where house prices are rising more than anywhere else (msn.com)

East Lothian
East Lothian© GETTY - STOCK

Residents of an inconspicuous seaside region have seen their house prices rise more than anywhere else in the country - including London.

The property market in East Lothian has defied a slow national trend, with a double-digit price increase nearly 10 percent higher than in the UK's famously expensive capital.

The national growth rate has faltered, settling at a minuscule 0.3 percent since July 2023, with London struggling to perform much higher above that level.

Prices in the city have grown by 2.1 percent in 2023 so far, allowing other cities and regions to take the lead.

East Lothian has emerged as an unexpected presence on the leaderboard and has topped the charts as the only area to have recorded a double-digit price increase in the country.

East Lothian property
East Lothian property© GETTY - STOCK

Recent data has found that house prices in the Edinburgh border region have increased by 10.3 percent, 10.1 percent over the national average.

The rate means the average house is now £30,330 more expensive and will set people back roughly £323,730.

Property values are still way off the London market, where flats alone sell for £565,147.

But East Lothian is an increasingly popular area - and for one classic reason.

Scots and those eyeing a move north of the border can travel into Scotland's capital from the area in roughly 20 minutes driving on the A1 from Musselburgh, East Lothian's largest town.

The proximity makes it the ideal commuter town, and the route into the city traces one of the other key reasons people choose to move there.

East Lothian has a unique microclimate and local environment that places it in stark comparison with the rest of Scotland.

The region enjoys more sunshine than anywhere else in Scotland, with the Met Office reporting that Dunbar sees approximately 1,500 hours of sun per year, while Edinburgh sees 1,380.

Residents can soak up that sun at East Lothian's many beaches, each one of which faces the Firth of Forth.

People who prefer walking over reclining need only look south for a selection of impressive trails, many of which bisect rolling farmland, historic villages, and the famous Lammermuir Hills.

• Lol 1

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

@cccs weather propaganda is obviously working - now we know who is paying him to do it! :D

Mind you, I noticed this line in the article.  That's a bit less than certain claims I've seen...... :P (and more in line with what I'd expect)

"The region enjoys more sunshine than anywhere else in Scotland, with the Met Office reporting that Dunbar sees approximately 1,500 hours of sun per year, while Edinburgh sees 1,380."

The pretty UK seaside region where house prices are rising more than anywhere else (msn.com)

East Lothian

Residents of an inconspicuous seaside region have seen their house prices rise more than anywhere else in the country - including London.

The property market in East Lothian has defied a slow national trend, with a double-digit price increase nearly 10 percent higher than in the UK's famously expensive capital.

The national growth rate has faltered, settling at a minuscule 0.3 percent since July 2023, with London struggling to perform much higher above that level.

Prices in the city have grown by 2.1 percent in 2023 so far, allowing other cities and regions to take the lead.

East Lothian has emerged as an unexpected presence on the leaderboard and has topped the charts as the only area to have recorded a double-digit price increase in the country.

East Lothian property

Recent data has found that house prices in the Edinburgh border region have increased by 10.3 percent, 10.1 percent over the national average.

The rate means the average house is now £30,330 more expensive and will set people back roughly £323,730.

Property values are still way off the London market, where flats alone sell for £565,147.

Scots and those eyeing a move north of the border can travel into Scotland's capital from the area in roughly 20 minutes driving on the A1 from Musselburgh, East Lothian's largest town.

The proximity makes it the ideal commuter town, and the route into the city traces one of the other key reasons people choose to move there.

East Lothian has a unique microclimate and local environment that places it in stark comparison with the rest of Scotland.

The region enjoys more sunshine than anywhere else in Scotland, with the Met Office reporting that Dunbar sees approximately 1,500 hours of sun per year, while Edinburgh sees 1,380.

Residents can soak up that sun at East Lothian's many beaches, each one of which faces the Firth of Forth.

People who prefer walking over reclining need only look south for a selection of impressive trails, many of which bisect rolling farmland, historic villages, and the famous Lammermuir Hills.

My home town, although I left 20 years ago. The nuclear power station, cement works and Belhaven brewery were the big employers then, since it has doubled in size and become a commuter town for Edinburgh. Looks like it’s about to become the new North Berwick, it always had the potential to be more desirable, it has a lovely harbour with a castle, a train station on the main east coast line to Edinburgh and London, a nice looking, large and well used high street and Belhaven bay is magnificent. 

There’s some estate agent guff in that article tho, the main picture is North Berwick and I don’t know where those houses in the second picture are but I don’t recognise it as Dunbar. Also it’s hardly a microclimate in stark contrast to the rest of Scotland, most of the East coast and a decent amount of the West gets around 1500 hours of sunshine a year, Edinburgh doesn’t quite get as much being more central. 

image.thumb.jpeg.aa3a565b716ee092ff5e8eb2aa2d26ee.jpeg

Edited by McKay
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

I didn’t read that article properly, it’s not all about Dunbar, it’s about the whole of the county, ignore my shite plz, I’m stuck at sea in bad weather and bored. 

Edited by McKay

East Lothian has always been popular with well off Edinburgh folk. This isn't really anything new. 

And as above - it's climate is similar to much of east jockland. 

Very dry lots of sun. The downside is it's generally cooler in summer especially with any form of non westerly breeze. 

There has been a lot of new builds out that way recently. And many are being marketed at not much less than Edinburgh. I reckon that's the main reason for the "rise" in prices. Just more of these shoddy expensive generally shitty houses being thrown up anywhere they can. What great progress. 

• Agree 1

Just now, ccc said:

It's just the latest property puff piece desperately trying to find anywhere prices aren't officially falling. 

They aren’t falling where I am. Theyve got to sell some first.  xD

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

East Lothian

East Lothian property

Every climate figure I've provided on here is from the met office and readily available via Wikipedia. :Old:

• Lol 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Every climate figure I've provided on here is from the met office and readily available via Wikipedia. :Old:

Well, meteosuisse is wrong all the time! Because of the big lake, usually in a good way, a little bit less so at this time of year.

The Met Office has been take over by the climate loonies, as has Wikipedia. You're going to have to put a private weather station on your roof and post the data!

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Well, meteosuisse is wrong all the time! Because of the big lake, usually in a good way, a little bit less so at this time of year.

The Met Office has been take over by the climate loonies, as has Wikipedia. You're going to have to put a private weather station on your roof and post the data!

In terms of historical data over decades for the basics I think the Met Office data is decent enough. 

The only obvious exception to me is the recent "record high" temperatures due to weather stations now surrounded by concrete that used to be surrounded by trees. Cambridge being a great example. 

In terms of rainfall, sun etc.. they seem accurate enough. And we rarely see records every year for them. The temperature is the easiest to scam and so they do. 

Anyway anyone moving to jockland for the weather really needs to see a shrink. xD

• Agree 1

On 05/12/2023 at 21:04, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Well, meteosuisse is wrong all the time! Because of the big lake

Couldn't they just fill it in?

On 05/12/2023 at 20:51, ccc said:

East Lothian has always been popular with well off Edinburgh folk. This isn't really anything new. 

And as above - it's climate is similar to much of east jockland. 

Very dry lots of sun. The downside is it's generally cooler in summer especially with any form of non westerly breeze. 

There has been a lot of new builds out that way recently. And many are being marketed at not much less than Edinburgh. I reckon that's the main reason for the "rise" in prices. Just more of these shoddy expensive generally shitty houses being thrown up anywhere they can. What great progress. 

Nice bit as you say ccc am in the West warmer and wetter , summer generally better and can be often 6-7C differential , I went to the beach at Portobello one day fucking  freezing , went home to back door taps aff by a mile.

• Agree 1

Bricks & Mortar

The East Coast of Scotland is one of the sunniest places in Britain.  Aberdeen and Dundee have both claimed the title 'Britain's sunniest city', at some points in my recollection.  Dunbar / N Berwick was sunnier still on both occasions but can't claim to be a city.  Parts of Cornwall sunnier still, but again, no city.

I live on the East Coast, about 50-100m from the sea.  Being near the sea is important to me, for no reason other than I just like it.  

If you decided to move to Scotland's East Coast to be near a sunny coast, I think one of the things to think about is the orientation of the coast, and prevailing wind.  Dunbar has the prevailing wind coming from the land, and the Sun to the North.  You get good surfing waves on this coast, whether you like to surf or just watch those waves coming in.  

South Fife coast has the wind coming off the sea, along with prevailing wind.  No good for surfing.  Waves look different.  Nice effect of double sunlight at the waters edge, with the reflection off the water.

Dundee is similar to S Fife, but with a city setting and a calm estuary rather than open sea with waves.

St Andrews, Angus and Aberdeenshire coasts have nice beaches, and Sun to the East.  Good for people who like a walk on the beach in the morning.  Also good for surfing, as prevailing wind goes offshore. 

When looking out from these coasts, the effect is quite different, but difficult to describe.  One thing I've noticed is you're much more likely to see the E Lothian coast clearly from S Fife, than you are to see the Fife coast clearly from E Lothian.  Not sure if its just the way the sun plays on the water, or maybe the sun is causing evaporation from the water and its water vapour that does it.

You'll need a good jacket to enjoy all the sun, however.  One that's good for cold wind.

33 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

The East Coast of Scotland is one of the sunniest places in Britain.  Aberdeen and Dundee have both claimed the title 'Britain's sunniest city', at some points in my recollection.  Dunbar / N Berwick was sunnier still on both occasions but can't claim to be a city.  Parts of Cornwall sunnier still, but again, no city.

I live on the East Coast, about 50-100m from the sea.  Being near the sea is important to me, for no reason other than I just like it.  

If you decided to move to Scotland's East Coast to be near a sunny coast, I think one of the things to think about is the orientation of the coast, and prevailing wind.  Dunbar has the prevailing wind coming from the land, and the Sun to the North.  You get good surfing waves on this coast, whether you like to surf or just watch those waves coming in.  

South Fife coast has the wind coming off the sea, along with prevailing wind.  No good for surfing.  Waves look different.  Nice effect of double sunlight at the waters edge, with the reflection off the water.

Dundee is similar to S Fife, but with a city setting and a calm estuary rather than open sea with waves.

St Andrews, Angus and Aberdeenshire coasts have nice beaches, and Sun to the East.  Good for people who like a walk on the beach in the morning.  Also good for surfing, as prevailing wind goes offshore. 

When looking out from these coasts, the effect is quite different, but difficult to describe.  One thing I've noticed is you're much more likely to see the E Lothian coast clearly from S Fife, than you are to see the Fife coast clearly from E Lothian.  Not sure if its just the way the sun plays on the water, or maybe the sun is causing evaporation from the water and its water vapour that does it.

You'll need a good jacket to enjoy all the sun, however.  One that's good for cold wind.

Very little of this makes sense to me.

Predominant winds for the UK are from the west.

And the sun is to the south except for early summer mornings and late summer nights. This doesn't change based on location 😒

Bricks & Mortar
5 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Very little of this makes sense to me.

Predominant winds for the UK are from the west.

And the sun is to the south except for early summer mornings and late summer nights. This doesn't change based on location 😒

Yes.  The orientation of the coast changes, however.  The East of Scotland is not a straight line.  For example, in Dunbar, the coast is to the N or NE.  In Dundee, the coast is to the South.  In Aberdeen, it's to the East.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Yes.  The orientation of the coast changes, however.  The East of Scotland is not a straight line.  For example, in Dunbar, the coast is to the N or NE.  In Dundee, the coast is to the South.  In Aberdeen, it's to the East.

Position of the ocean is key. Obviously here most of the better houses are built with a sea view from the garden. If you are in Seaview that means your house will cast a shadow over your garden for most of the day: in Ventnor you will be bloody lucky to get any shade at all.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1