DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property crash, just maybe it really is different this time (Part 3)

spunko

Chewing Grass

Listings have been steadily dropping since early March in my first 3 digit postcode of choice.

image.thumb.png.160a008b02a349ac6a35cc8fc95a2bf3.png

• Informative 3

Ash4781b
4 hours ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68978591

Paul Day, 62, from Felixstowe, says his mortgage is set to go up by £225 a month when his five-year fixed deal expires at the end of May.

Mr Day, who is retired, currently pays £1,027 a month, but when his fixed rate of 1.89% ends, he will move on to his lender's standard variable rate of 7.99%.

"It's been a scary three months waiting for interest rates to go down and I'm getting closer and closer to my deadline, which is the 31st of May, and they're not," he says.

He is choosing to go on to a variable rate, because he doesn't want to be "stuck" on another fixed.

"I think things should settle down within the next six months. So it's a gamble," he says.

"I have got a pension to fall back on, but unfortunately when you're taking money out of your pension it never gets put back," he says, adding that "there'll be more evenings in and fewer takeaways".

Id like to know how much money he owes and for how long.

Or wether hes got his numbers right.

he says, adding that "there'll be more evenings in and fewer takeaways”

Hmm

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

he says, adding that "there'll be more evenings in and fewer takeaways”

Hmm

He should have stayed in a bit more and done some math lessons.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

JoeDavola

See all you lot in the really expensive parts of the UK, where prices are multiples of NI prices - what do the young do in those areas? Are they leaving in large numbers or do they just never leave home?

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

See all you lot in the really expensive parts of the UK, where prices are multiples of NI prices - what do the young do in those areas? Are they leaving in large numbers or do they just never leave home?

Spend 60% of their take home pay on rent.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Ash4781b
5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

He should have stayed in a bit more and done some math lessons.

“Paul Day, 62, from Felixstowe, says his mortgage is set to go up by £225 a month when his five-year fixed deal expires at the end of May.

Mr Day, who is retired, currently pays £1,027 a month, but when his fixed rate of 1.89% ends, he will moveon to his lender's standard variable rate of 7.99%.”

I might do some calcs. Rate 1.89% to 7.99% repayment up £225 from £1,027. Aged 62 below state pension age but drawing a pension. Presumably it’s a very short term mortgage coming off a 5year term? Maybe the mortgage is quite large?  

I don’t understand but I guess it’s all speculation 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Ash4781b said:

“Paul Day, 62, from Felixstowe, says his mortgage is set to go up by £225 a month when his five-year fixed deal expires at the end of May.

Mr Day, who is retired, currently pays £1,027 a month, but when his fixed rate of 1.89% ends, he will moveon to his lender's standard variable rate of 7.99%.”

I might do some calcs. Rate 1.89% to 7.99% repayment up £225 from £1,027. Aged 62 below state pension age but drawing a pension. Presumably it’s a very short term mortgage coming off a 5year term? Maybe the mortgage is quite large?  

He isn't retired.

He just doesn't work anymore.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Bobthebuilder
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

All my mates kids in rural Dorset had kids young themselves and got a council house, that was the only option available.

• Cheers 2

Calcutta
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

All my mates kids in rural Dorset had kids young themselves and got a council house, that was the only option available.

Yep. For girls the idea is getting the taxpayer to cover their rent and for boys the trick is to find some Tammy ten kids who needs a new rent-a-dad.

• Lol 1

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

What is a council house?

Aren't they things older people have?

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
9 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

What is a council house?

Aren't they things older people have?

I am surprised how many of my old school mates live in council places in North Dorset, way higher percentage than people I know in London.

Wight Flight
Just now, Bobthebuilder said:

I am surprised how many of my old school mates live in council places in North Dorset, way higher percentage than people I know in London.

Yes. That demographic c ould get them, keep them and even swap them. I guess they didn't know at the time that they had won life's lottery.

spunko
3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Talking about the people i know. Generally the middle class ones leave home and move to places like Exeter,  Plymouth, Norfolk. 

Working class ones just stay in the family home and wait for their parents or grandparents to kark it. Or rent.

• Agree 1

spunko

There are a couple of van dweller mini settlements down here too, that's only happened in the last year. Never saw them in such numbers before. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 4

Chewing Grass
3 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

My estimate is it was a £112000 mortgage over 10 years, fixed at 1.89% for 60 months.

That leaves £62000 to be repaid over another 5 years to 67 at 7.99% or £1250 per month.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Mortgage themselves upto their necks, know of couples with 200k+ mortgages.

but to be fair it’s probably cheaper than renting, seen some shit looking 2 bed terraces up for 1700 rent pm where you could buy one 350-380k.

Edited by TNS
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Frank Hovis
8 hours ago, spunko said:

There are a couple of van dweller mini settlements down here too, that's only happened in the last year. Never saw them in such numbers before. 

That one in Bristol on the Downs is entirely new.

It is now a genuine housing crisis.

• Agree 4

swiss_democracy_for_all
12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That one in Bristol on the Downs is entirely new.

It is now a genuine housing crisis.

Millions of net immigrants plus minimal (and shit) building over time will do that. In fact in some ways it's amazing there is any accommodation left anywhere, at any price, in the UK. I suppose the raised death rates are assisting a bit.

It's not rocket science.

• Agree 7

Frank Hovis
34 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Millions of net immigrants plus minimal (and shit) building over time will do that. In fact in some ways it's amazing there is any accommodation left anywhere, at any price, in the UK. I suppose the raised death rates are assisting a bit.

It's not rocket science.

Indeed.

The only real surprise is that it's takne so long.

The country is now full and people are bursting out of the seams: Emergency Accommodation, tent cities, van encampments and of course street homeless.

Somebody coming out of uni these days with their shiny degree certificate must compare wages to rents and despair.

Politicians of all parties have ignored this crashingly obvious effect of mass immigration and will continue to do until it comes back and bites them on the behind, which it will with a vast increase in crime as when you have nothing left to lose then you don't care.

We have already seen this starting with the huge rise in shoplifting, as we go into summer we will be hearing about "No go areas" in London where law and order have broken down, especially given Khan's re-election.

• Agree 11

swiss_democracy_for_all
8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Politicians of all parties have ignored this crashingly obvious effect of mass immigration and will continue to do until it comes back and bites them on the behind, which it will with a vast increase in crime as when you have nothing left to lose then you don't care.

The high-level players in the parties are all WEF-bought, so any aspiring young politician who isn't WEF-bought (if there are any) can't say anything, even if they're thinking it.

Then there's the legal system which has been subverted to make it difficult to tell the truth about anything.  The WEF-ers trying to ruin and divide the UK and other Western economies really do seem to have covered everything, they've been extraordinarily thorough. It's no wonder people are more and more in despair. 

• Agree 8

Bear Hug
33 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I think their mortgage will be around £950 a month. Their absolutely terrible rented property was about £850 a month.

Any comparison without deposit and repayment terms is somewhat meaningless. Mortgage can always be made lower than rent if the deposit was big enough! What if the deposit earned 5% pa interest and that was deducted from the rent. How would the figures compare? 

• Informative 1

onlyme
10 hours ago, spunko said:

S/h Prius prices are apparently kept high thanks to them being quite a suitable in car sleeper - must be enough energy in the hybrid battery to keep warm overnight. Silent (ish?), stealthier, cheaper and easier to park than a camper.

• Informative 4

Sasquatch
1 minute ago, Bear Hug said:

Any comparison without deposit and repayment terms is somewhat meaningless. Mortgage can always be made lower than rent if the deposit was big enough! What if the deposit earned 5% pa interest and that was deducted from the rent. How would the figures compare? 

The rental housing stock is, by and large, diabolical. And very expensive. This is obviously relative to where my daughter lives (Leeds) rather than a comment on the UK as a whole. 

In this day and age you wouldnt think landlords could get away with renting poorly insulated, leaking, dilapidated houses. But they appear to be able to, especially in the city with a large student population.

Staying in rented was not an option.

• Agree 5

sleepwello'nights
Posted (edited)

A broker from John Charcol was on the radio yesterday. He mentioned Skipton Building Society had available a 100% mortgage fixed for 5 years. 

https://www.skipton.co.uk/mortgages/find-a-mortgage#/NewOrExisting=New&WillBeRented=No&NewResidentialMortgageType=FirstTimeBuyer/PropertyPrice=350000&DepositAmount=0&MortgageTerm=25&PaymentType=Repayment/SortBy=ActiveTerm&SortOrder=Ascending

Monthly instalment only £2158! a month

Edited by sleepwello'nights
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 2