DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

sancho panza

@stockton @feed@Bobthebuilder or anyone else.

I'm chitting my spuds now for the last frost.Going nicely.

Just wonderign what the hive mind thinks regarding carrots/parsnips etc and whterh to grow them in little pots on the window sill first.

Also when are people planning to put their first seeds out.

I have a few leeks that have made it through the winter.Most impressed.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Just wonderign what the hive mind thinks regarding carrots/parsnips etc and whterh to grow them in little pots on the window sill first.

Put the carrot and parsnip seeds straight into the ground, you could do that now if you like, February a good time to sow carrots.

Leave the spuds till late March.

You are getting into this veg lark I see,, awesome.

PS. You never posted a picture of those chips last year.

Found if you transplant carrots, you’ll get forking.   That may or may not matter.  
Tom’s went in the propagator yesterday.  Long White Icicle Radish went out yesterday.  
And my first early potatoes are ready to go, but I need a little more compost.

But I am in Essex, with a very sheltered garden, so my climate is probably a little more benign than others.  

Edited by feed

sancho panza
5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Put the carrot and parsnip seeds straight into the ground, you could do that now if you like, February a good time to sow carrots.

Leave the spuds till late March.

You are getting into this veg lark I see,, awesome.

PS. You never posted a picture of those chips last year.

We never made chips......but to be fair,I handed some around the old ladies my Mum's age and they all said they tasted amazing.I thought so too but I was obviously biased....

Had some great times with the kids digging them out.And found as we had 7 or 8 buckets we didn't buy spuds for a couple of monhts.Just emptied a bucket a week.

My carrots and parsnips were tiny.

I've two otpions here,one is the buckets and the other the ground.I have dug over the gorund but the soil feels very heavy.Not sure whether to put the carrots/other veg in the buckets and the spuds in the ground or vice versa?You got a view.

Also,the buckets have last years compost in.I've had a look and there's worms,so I don't know wheter to buy new compo or revitalise with some of my own?

Also,last year,I never got any leeks out,they grew,jsut not much.

Any idea what I can do to get the carrots bigger?

sancho panza
2 minutes ago, feed said:

Found if you transplant carrots, you’ll get forking.   That may not may not matter.  
Tom’s went in the propagator yesterday.  Long White Icicle Radish went out yesterday.  
And my first early potatoes are ready to go, but I need a little more compost.

But I am in Essex in town, with a very sheltered garden, so my climate is probably a little more benign than others.  

whats forking?whats a propagator?

Do you do any other veg that you think my be good for first time growers?

Bobthebuilder
10 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

We never made chips......but to be fair,I handed some around the old ladies my Mum's age and they all said they tasted amazing.I thought so too but I was obviously biased....

Had some great times with the kids digging them out.And found as we had 7 or 8 buckets we didn't buy spuds for a couple of monhts.Just emptied a bucket a week.

My carrots and parsnips were tiny.

I've two otpions here,one is the buckets and the other the ground.I have dug over the gorund but the soil feels very heavy.Not sure whether to put the carrots/other veg in the buckets and the spuds in the ground or vice versa?You got a view.

Also,the buckets have last years compost in.I've had a look and there's worms,so I don't know wheter to buy new compo or revitalise with some of my own?

Also,last year,I never got any leeks out,they grew,jsut not much.

Spuds are really good to plant in new ground, they break the soil up. Carrots need fine soil to get big, the pots would be good for those.

Go long on Sancho Panzer potato futures.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Lol 1

reformed nice guy
23 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Carrots are pushing through the ground so if your soil is compacted clay then they go all funny shapes to find the path of least resistance.

Get some sand - posh way is to buy it, best way is to get it from the seaside (wash it a couple of times to get rid of residual salt)

Dig a trench then mix what you displaced with the sand. Ideally do this when the ground has been dry a while so it mixes well. Also good to mix in some compost if you have any ready.

• Informative 1

43 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

whats forking?whats a propagator?

Do you do any other veg that you think my be good for first time growers?

forked carrots. 

image.jpeg.465da1db160df429cd9fcce0857f0360.jpeg

Peas are great, depending on the variety you can get food all year, from peas shoots to full pod peas.  Great for home saved seeds

Beans, utterly idiot proof, great yields and good for the soil. Again great for home saved seeds. 

Cabbage, can find a variety for any season, so you have them in beds when nothing else is growing over winter. Can have some pest problems and likely needs netting from birds.  But assuming you can stop them being eaten, you'll get a head of cabbage.    

Potatoes, cabbage, beets and beans.  There’s a reason why they’re traditional peasant food.  High yields, not without pests, but generally grow consistently   

Edited by feed
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

As already mentioned, carrots in the ground.  I buy new compost for these and drive a stick into the ground wiggle it open and fill with compost, I think it gives straighter carrots but there are always a few wild ones.

I will start potatoes soon and have a tomato plant on the kitchen windowsill from last years crop.  Not sure if it will work but worth a try I'm also going to try some cherry tomatoes.

Probably going to have a quieter year this year and focus on strawberries, potato's, carrots and toms although I do have some onion sets for the end of summer.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
Wight Flight
On 24/02/2021 at 14:26, stockton said:

Probably going to have a quieter year this year and focus on strawberries, potato's, carrots and toms although I do have some onion sets for the end of summer.

You already have the makings of an authentic greengrocer. 

:D

• Lol 3

• 2 months later...

I've planted 2 more fruit trees.. these are grown flat against the fence to help save space.. 1 pear and 1 apple..

I have 2 raspberry bushes on another fence, strawberries, potatoes, parsnips, carrots, tomatoes, blueberry Bush, spinach plant thats gone mad.. and a much bigger apple tree as well. 

20210522_142556.jpg

• Cheers 7

sancho panza
3 hours ago, macca said:

I've planted 2 more fruit trees.. these are grown flat against the fence to help save space.. 1 pear and 1 apple..

I have 2 raspberry bushes on another fence, strawberries, potatoes, parsnips, carrots, tomatoes, blueberry Bush, spinach plant thats gone mad.. and a much bigger apple tree as well. 

20210522_142556.jpg

good effort Macca

How long till you get some fruit?

sancho panza
On 24/02/2021 at 12:52, Bobthebuilder said:

Spuds are really good to plant in new ground, they break the soil up. Carrots need fine soil to get big, the pots would be good for those.

Go long on Sancho Panzer potato futures.

My potatoes are coming up nicely in the rougher ground and I've used the pots I  used to use for them, for carrots and parsnips which appear to bedoing ok.

I had a bad year with last year but it was my first.they weren't very big but I planted them in the rough ground.

My big aim is to udnerstand what it taeks to be self sufficient and how to do it.I'd need more land and need to get some experience of growing other crops.

I can't get over the spuds and how they're growing in the patch.the kids are well excited.

It's sad reallyy I came to this so late but better late thna never.

• Cheers 2

On 23/05/2021 at 22:43, sancho panza said:

good effort Macca

How long till you get some fruit?

the big tree i planted grew fruit first year but only 4 nice apples.. This year it has rooted and has allot more flowers,, So i think 1 year before it really gets a good return,, 

• Informative 1

One percent
4 hours ago, macca said:

the big tree i planted grew fruit first year but only 4 nice apples.. This year it has rooted and has allot more flowers,, So i think 1 year before it really gets a good return,, 

I planted a Victoria plumb last year. It had a lot of blossom this year so hoping for a reasonable crop

• Cheers 1

Harley
Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2021 at 21:43, Harley said:

The first episode went online at 21:00 EST for 24 hours, although you can buy it!  Not sure if it's any good yet though but expect a few gems along the way, such is the nature of these things.

Edited by Harley

Harley
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, One percent said:

I planted a Victoria plumb last year. It had a lot of blossom this year so hoping for a reasonable crop

I lost another plumb tree this year but have already replanted.  I pruned things back in the mini orchard a lot a few months ago (not plumb obviously!) as canker is a real problem.  Yes, there was some reassuringly good blossom these last few weeks.  I'm hoping for better than last year. 

Edited by Harley
  • Informative 2

Harley
On 23/05/2021 at 19:15, macca said:

20210522_142556.jpg

Tidy, and nice fencing, etc.

• Cheers 1

One percent
9 minutes ago, Harley said:

I lost another plumb tree this year but have already replanted.  I pruned things back in the mini orchard a lot a few months ago (not plumb obviously!) as canker is a real problem.  Yes, there was some reassuringly good blossom these last few weeks.  I'm hoping for better than last year. 

I think that was autocorrect and that Apple thought i was talking bathrooms. xD

• Lol 2

4 hours ago, Harley said:

Tidy, and nice fencing, etc.

Do my own building work. Spirit level equals perfection.. Good fence panels from a local manufacturer and not from B&Q etc helps as well.. 

I'm fitting a new roof on the house.. been scouring free roof tiles on the Internet from finished jobs.. going to get another 300 today..  its slow going to get 1300 tiles but when it's free it's worth the wait.. 

Should have 550 by end of today.. spent £10 so far.. 

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 3