DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

Castlevania
22 minutes ago, Loki said:

Anyone know what's going on with K + S (SDF)

I remember there was some financial irregularity fairly recently 

Not sure. I thought it was due to releasing their annual results, but that’s not due until tomorrow morning.

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Castlevania said:

Not sure. I thought it was due to releasing their annual results, but that’s not due until tomorrow morning.

Thanks.  I suppose we're not really in fertiliser season yet either.  Still in the blue, anyway.

Noallegiance

There's a BBC article on people not knowing what they're workplace pension is invested in. Choice quote from it:

"But it means that many people are invested in a pot of very disparate interests, which may include tobacco, gambling, firearms, alcohol, oil or other investments that they may personally want to avoid."

AKA anything that's gonna make money in the next decade!

Chewing Grass
18 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

There's a BBC article on people not knowing what they're workplace pension is invested in. Choice quote from it:

"But it means that many people are invested in a pot of very disparate interests, which may include tobacco, gambling, firearms, alcohol, oil or other investments that they may personally want to avoid."

AKA anything that's gonna make money in the next decade!

Imagine working for a company where their wokeratti have also infested your pension scheme and are throwing eco-diversity-equality hissy fits at their investment policy for your retirement.

7 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/habitos-40-year-fixed-rate-mortgage-is-a-game-changer-for-borrowers-heading-for-retirement-904925

What’s the betting this mortgage lender goes bust in the next few years?

Re-mortgage, put it all in gold/silver and crypto? :)

I don't know if they will go bust. They all seem to be at it!!                                                                                                               What I mean is 'Life Time' fixed rate mortgage products for the over 55s (some lenders consider 50+) also look too good to be true. Eg Scottish mortgage lifetime fix of 2.54%, the interest is rolled up BUT you can overpay 10%/year without penalty. There is an affordability criteria but this is not based on job income as assumption is you are retired so it can be based on pension or savings. The only limitation appears to be that for those younger retirees still in their 50's borrowing is limited to 25% of property value. But it's fixed for life which as I say seems almost to good to be true. I wonder if there is a catch, does anyone know? ....But as you suggest Lightscribe, why not borrow and buy hard assets? Be almost rude not to!!                                                                                                                      https://www.equityreleasesupermarket.com/compare-deals

5 hours ago, Boon said:

Did you gift your son the silver or did he purchase it on his own?

I kind of wish I had this kind of financial education at the same age, I was blowing money on all types of rubbish at the time. 

I don't know why it never occurred to me, at a young age my own thoughts were that everything would sort itself out in the end and everyone rises to senior level raking in six figures. Unfortunately life is unfair.

Bought most of it himself,he got a job at Aldi at 18 and saved it up over 2 years,i advised him against uni as he wasnt interested in anything and my mate had a chance to get him on permanent with Aldi in a distribution centre.

1 minute ago, DurhamBorn said:

Bought most of it himself,he got a job at Aldi at 18 and saved it up over 2 years,i advised him against uni as he wasnt interested in anything and my mate had a chance to get him on permanent with Aldi in a distribution centre.

That's where I got things wrong, moved down South for Uni which I was never suited for, lots of debt, stuck in an expensive part of the country.

I find life seems to progress much better in more affordable areas of the country, settle down sooner because home ownership is an achievable reality and gives you a point of focus. Wish I'd made the move a few years earlier but lucky to be where I am in the grand scheme of things.

13 minutes ago, AWW said:

It's the most obvious short ever. I'm very tempted.

Looked at it when it was going for 100, read the WSB a few times, I figure by April 20th they'll get it to 420. So chuck a few quid in at 100 and then when it gets to 400 bank my winnings. But then I thought no, fuck it, I like their style I'm not contributing to its downfall. 

This counts as ethical investing in my book. Now to load up on uranium miners and arms dealers. 

6 hours ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Bit of an existential tangent, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Settling down at 20 years old isn't for everyone; if the wheels come off (not a slight on your son, DB!) then the plan can unravel very quickly. For some, at that age, it is better not to have a plan and simply go with the flow.

Well quite,shes a lovely girl and a teacher,but always risks,i went through 150+ before i settled with my partner and lived with 7 xD,i never married any though and never will.Iv a will trust set up so if i peg it and they get dumped the next day they are covered.One thing is certain though,its very very difficult for an ordinary lad on his own to get his own place these days,even with a decent job.

54 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

Looked at it when it was going for 100, read the WSB a few times, I figure by April 20th they'll get it to 420. So chuck a few quid in at 100 and then when it gets to 400 bank my winnings. But then I thought no, fuck it, I like their style I'm not contributing to its downfall. 

This counts as ethical investing in my book. Now to load up on uranium miners and arms dealers. 

Uranium miners and arms dealers you say? Actually that would be an incredibly ethical 'investment trade pairing' ...you see one nets off the other (bit like carbon trading so very woke) ...anyway the way it works is if you hold the uranium for the very long term, you will eventually cause the arms dealer to 'become disarmed' (fintech term; or colloquialy - his arms fall off!!!). Please Dyor.

57 minutes ago, Barnsey said:

I find life seems to progress much better in more affordable areas of the country, settle down sooner because home ownership is an achievable reality and gives you a point of focus.

I think, perhaps unfairly, that it's more that the type of person who leaves home for London does it because they want to get comfy in a well-paid career and do more "stuff" before they start having kids (whether they achieve that is a different matter...) I made the move in my early twenties, met Mrs AWW at 30 and had my first kid at 36, still feeling that there were a hundred things I wanted to do before settling down. Oh well, just have to do the bucket list with kids in tow now :-)

BTW I don't think either approach to life is better than the other. Different people just want different things.

56 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

I am right there with you, in fact I did chuck a bit of fun money at at last month and still have a share or two. But where it is now makes me want to put some serious money on it crashing right back down to $5 or wherever it was before WSB started buying.

7 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

I don't know about you, but I thought I was immortal when I was 21, and no one told me otherwise!

...and don't let anyone tell you different CP. I for one will not be looking to spoil the ending for you?!?

Chewing Grass
Just now, Vendetta said:

Stimulus of $1.9 trillion just been passed by the house.... 

Wall of inflation coming.....

Buy stuff now for tomorrow it will be worth a fortune.

Knew a girl from Venezuela who believed buying a new car was an 'investment'.

Noallegiance
59 minutes ago, AWW said:

BTW I don't think either approach to life is better than the other. Different people just want different things.

Careful. You'll get deplatformed with all that freedom of choice bollox.

Quit it.

Noallegiance
15 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Stimulus of $1.9 trillion just been passed by the house.... 

Wall of inflation coming.....

I don't get why this isn't already priced in. It's not like there was any chance of it not happening.

A quickly-following second round, however....

Lightscribe
1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

Well quite,shes a lovely girl and a teacher,but always risks,i went through 150+ before i settled with my partner and lived with 7 xD,i never married any though and never will.Iv a will trust set up so if i peg it and they get dumped the next day they are covered.One thing is certain though,its very very difficult for an ordinary lad on his own to get his own place these days,even with a decent job.

It was lucky I had my mid-life crisis at mid twenties (I’d already lived with 2 by then). I split with the ex, took the house money and went travelling around the world for two years. Obviously I was semi-fugal even back then, and with the power of the £ in 2006/7 along with staying at friends/family/hostels I only managed to spend £20k of it over that time and lived like a king in Thailand for months without hardly spending anything.

As hardhat says, wouldn’t of changed that for the world. Experiences and memories that can’t be bought.

Although those girls up Durham, DB sound like right goers. I never got to put it on my destination list.

Bricks & Mortar
4 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

New £50 note per the below I nicked from Twitter

4D0D6CBD-7A18-4BA6-B387-3970FAC9B37B.png

Oh!  I thought this was the digital currency they plan to store on our newly implanted microchips.

leonardratso

i cant even remember the last time i saw a £50 note, got to be decades.

Soon igor, soon;

Zimbabwe set to print high denomination banknotes

Archived