DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

Just now, Knickerless Turgid said:

No need to ban or destroy anything, simply make all crypto transactions illegal.

Sure, but how would you know who held each wallet address? I don't think it's enforceable. As long as people are willing to accept crypto as payment without ever cashing it out to Fiat, it will continue to be used. See Silk Road in early 2010s etc.

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

Sure, but how would you know who held each wallet address? I don't think it's enforceable. As long as people are willing to accept crypto as payment without ever cashing it out to Fiat, it will continue to be used. See Silk Road in early 2010s etc.

The threat of illegality is sufficient to deter the vast majority.

Don't underestimate the lengths to which The Establishment would be prepared to go to maintain the status quo. Being a rebel is really cool an' all, until it isn't.

5 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

The threat of illegality is sufficient to deter the vast majority.

Don't underestimate the lengths to which The Establishment would be prepared to go to maintain the status quo. Being a rebel is really cool an' all, until it isn't.

Sure. I think the price would also come down massively in this kind of situation. But, I don't think it's possible or enforceable to completely destroy the network now, you just need enough willing participants. Same as any black market.

4 hours ago, planit said:

Exactly, which should mean packaging companies are making huge amounts of money at the moment. Demand has outstripped supply so prices have risen, should be the conditions for a packaging company to make lots of money.

This is the problem I have implementing the "at source" approach", the devil being in the detail.  Some packaging companies and similar came up on my value screens but do they fit the bill?  I passed as I adopted an "added value" approach - does a company/sector/industry deliver enough relative value add to the chain to make them a possible price setter?  I suggest not in this case, relative to say the raw materials producer.

14 minutes ago, AWW said:

"If anyone offers to transact an unlicensed crypto currency with you, report them for a $50,000 reward."

Try trading crypto after that.

Monero and privacy crypto use goes through the roof in that scenario. Yes the normies will be scared off, but BTC still will act a digital standard peg. Transactions will continue regardless of legality and crypto like XMR is impossible to trace. The government would rather keep it all in the open.

Some like it hot...

Edit: everything I'm seeing coming out this meeting is about maximum employment, and righting the wrongs of previous recessions and the policy being far too slow to improve not only employment but wages too. States unemployment rate likely 10% not 6.3%. Gives the Powell/Yellen/Biden partnership a very clear runway to go a bit nuts.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-powell/feds-powell-calls-for-broad-national-drive-to-full-employment-idUSKBN2AA2KT

“Given the number of people who have lost their jobs and the likelihood that some will struggle to find work in the post-pandemic economy, achieving and sustaining maximum employment will require more than supportive monetary policy,” Powell said in remarks to the Economic Club of New York. “It will require a society-wide commitment, with contributions from across government and the private sector.”

This conversation seems to be concluding that non-state-issued crypto will end up not as a store of value or a widely adopted currency but as underground barter which will end up with a lot of effort for not much of anything unless a large amount of fiat is cashed out at a decent sum and swapped for an asset pre-marginalisation. Rhetorically, will the last coins ever be mined if all you can swap it for come 2141 is a bag of weed? Even then would 0.04 BTC be worth anything to a dealer if he can't go and buy water with it?

In the mean time, I don't have enough spare fiat to make a big enough gamble worthwhile. I could chuck £500 at it, but even if it trebles a year from here I'd only be looking at £1500. And even then, based on recent evidence, the outlay might have to pass £250 first. From there that's a heck of a bounce to £1500 but it has been done already so consequently I'd be watching it like a hawk just to capture some gain out of £500. Not worth it, for me.

If I were a gambler with £100k spare I suppose my outlook would be different, but in order to benefit from it I'd need to risk losing that life-changing money to make life-changing money. Which (with stratospheric doses of irony) limits it's benefit to the already well-off with cash to spare (Hedge funds? Institutions? Aka some of the very people BTC was designed to wallop? Irony overload). I've not yet seen any reports of central banks buying BTC. That could be a reason to buy it as it would be looking at wider adoption, but I'd have to put my pot of irony pills down because the current speculators value would plummet.

The only way I'd be remotely pro-BTC would be if I'd bought £100 worth in 2010 and now a multi-multi millionaire. But I'd be swapping it for tangible-related assets via fiat to realise the value contained within. So by default that wouldn't make me pro-BTC and still determines the value by fiat. Which wasn't the point of it, allegedly. But I missed that boat, as most people did.

Crypto seems to be such a confused thing with confused application prospects and a confused following that can't decide what it's use is. And if the confusion is mine through a lack of technical understanding, so be it. If I understood it in a technical way it wouldn't make me part of a revolution, I think.

29 minutes ago, AWW said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-powell/feds-powell-calls-for-broad-national-drive-to-full-employment-idUSKBN2AA2KT

“Given the number of people who have lost their jobs and the likelihood that some will struggle to find work in the post-pandemic economy, achieving and sustaining maximum employment will require more than supportive monetary policy,” Powell said in remarks to the Economic Club of New York. “It will require a society-wide commitment, with contributions from across government and the private sector.”

That made me shudder. And not metaphorically.

Communism inbound for the land of the free.

I don’t usually pay much interest to “mad money” Jim Cramer , but yesterday he chose chose Cummins for his industrial stock tip. Hydrogen has been discussed before on this thread

In November 2020, Cramer talked about hydrogen, Cummins, Linde, BP and Shell

“CNBC’s Jim Cramer recommended Linde and Cummins as two non-pure plays on the future of hydrogen energy.
    “The technology’s not there yet — just too darned expensive for the moment — that’s why I prefer the non-pure plays,” the “Mad Money” host said in explaining his outlook on hydrogen fuel cells.
    “This whole industry’s getting a major tailwind once the Biden administration takes over because the Democrats love alternative energy,” he said.
CNBC’s Jim Cramer on Monday endorsed two stocks as plays on hydrogen fuel cells in the current market environment.
While Cramer is convinced that hydrogen fuel technology, a frontier in clean energy, is the way of the future, he thinks there is a long runway before that future arrives.
“The technology’s not there yet — just too darned expensive for the moment — that’s why I prefer the non-pure plays, like Cummins ... or Linde,” the “Mad Money” host said. “I’d be even more bullish on Cummins if we saw a national rollout of hydrogen fueling stations by an integrated oil company with lots of gas stations, maybe a BP or Royal Dutch, but that doesn’t seem like it’s on the horizon yet.”
Cummins is a big engine manufacturing operation that’s working on a hydrogen-based engine. Linde is an industrial gas distributor that counts hydrogen among its products.”

In the Telegraph, there’s a story about hydrogen cars,
“Hydrogen-powered cars to be built in Wales with Siemens support
The start-up Riversimple is teaming up with the German industrial giant to get zero-pollution cars on British roadsA British start-up building hydrogen-powered cars has won backing from Siemens, which will help mass-produce the vehicles.
Riversimple, based in Wales, has joined forces with the German industrial giant to collaborate on product design, supply chain management and industrialisation as well as helping secure financial backing for the “Rasa” cars. 
Powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, the Rasa – “clean slate” in Latin – is pollution-free. 
The two-seat cars, which have a top speed of 60mph and a 300mph range, will be leased rather than sold to drivers.
Riversimple estimates the total cost of ownership – including fuel, insurance and tax – will be about £500 a month to drive about 10,000 miles a year. That is about the same total cost of running a VW Golf, according to founder Hugo Spowers. 
Rasas are expected to have a 20-year life and then be recycled, with many of the components going into new models, promoting environmental sustainability.
 Mr Spowers said Siemens' backing was a very significant seal of approval. 
“The are looking at future technologies and models in ways that existing cars companies can’t because of their legacy with the internal combustion engine," he said.
“Siemens is engaged in understanding business models of the future, and their support brings options for accessing financing that does not fit into the models of existing car makers.”
Brian Holliday of Siemens said the company was delighted to work with Riversimple and support firms producing "boundary-breaking products”. 
Although they have a range comparable to conventional cars, the Rasa is intended for “local use”, hence their low top speed.
It also eliminates concerns about the lack of hydrogen fuel stations, as customers are likely to be those who live near one.
As hydrogen becomes more popular as a fuel source, Mr Spowers said industry – rather than government – would build more hydrogen fuel stations to meet demand.
Riversimple electric
In October Riversimple launched a four-year £150m funding round, with the first tranche closing in May. 
It plans to open a factory in Wales capable of building up to 5,000 cars a year by late 2024.
A second similar-sized factory at an as-yet undecided location is planned for 2026. Each factory is expected to create 220 direct jobs and twice as many again in the supply chain.
Riversimple is already building test cars for pilot programme in Wales.”

One of the interesting things about the Riversimple car is that “The fuel cell comes from Hydrogenics in Canada, via Germany”. In 2019 most of Hydrogenics was bought out by Cummins. It’s now part of their New Power division. Cummins now owns 81% and Air Liquide 19%. So, that’s Air Liquide, Cummins, Linde, BP, Shell and Siemens that could be hydrogen plays.

55 minutes ago, Barnsey said:

Some like it hot...

Edit: everything I'm seeing coming out this meeting is about maximum employment, and righting the wrongs of previous recessions and the policy being far too slow to improve not only employment but wages too. States unemployment rate likely 10% not 6.3%. Gives the Powell/Yellen/Biden partnership a very clear runway to go a bit nuts.

When they fear unemployment more than inflation,its only a matter of time.Thats what caused the 70s inflation.

Democorruptcy
27 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

When they fear unemployment more than inflation,its only a matter of time.Thats what caused the 70s inflation.

It's not like deciding to target unemployment more than inflation is anything new. This was Bernanke 10 years ago!

Our economy is suffering today from an extraordinarily high level of long-term unemployment, with nearly half of the unemployed having been out of work for more than six months. Under these unusual circumstances, policies that promote a stronger recovery in the near term may serve longer-term objectives as well.”

“Longer-term objectives?” Is the Chairman hinting that maybe the Fed can target the long-term unemployment rate?

In fact, he is. And that's key to understanding why he likely believes easy monetary policy is the best prescription for the economy—and why it could remain easy as long as long-term unemployment remains high.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/44819836

4 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

Looking at that, I think it's better to break into sections like you have. Too much give in trying to fit a curve. I hadn't thought of the options trade you mention... hmmm... food for thought. Thanks for the feedback.

Gents, maybe price comparisons are too simplistic in this case.  Maybe look at price characteristics (first/second order derivatives?) like momentum (stochatics), etc for cleaner correlations and/or triggers.

28 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

It's not like deciding to target unemployment more than inflation is anything new. This was Bernanke 10 years ago!

Different now.It was a front last time to save the banks balance sheets.This time its full on fiscal spending,avoiding the banks mostly.The CBs are telling governments to flood the economy.

Talking Monkey
5 hours ago, sancho panza said:

CP.A very thought provoking post...If I could offer a slightly different view (essentially agreeing the long term correlation with medium term dissaociations) and jsut based on my own experience.Using monthlies,Ive taken some snapshots of charts.Intersting that your point of maximum correlation coincides with teh end of the flat market.

Also,you raise the important issue of bringing in divis to the calcs.Even allowing a 5% compunded for four years gives a return from divis of 21.5%.This will be pertinent given teh levels many on here have bought at over the last year,.

Conclusion:as I think you've psoted before,oilies outperfrom oil in flat and bear markets,oil outperforms in bulls.Key thing I'm seeing is tight correaltion in the weeklies in terms of up/down moves.Doesn't necesarily correpsond with matching moves in %age terms but the medium term is tradeable.This discussion has made me consider looking at trading some complex options trades as per @MvR has discussed,ie long the underlying,less long the oilies etc.

Context

image.png.7407f6867a29bda702f8f07be85dd315.png

Bottom 1/1/02->Peak June 08->Bottom Jan 09->Top April 11 whereupon it was flat to June 14->bottom Jan 16 ->top Sept 18->bottom march 2020

Jan 02-June 08 bull:Brent outperfoms Brent +560%,XLE +233%

image.png.8e2db6fbef8db63cf32f3f2951f30e0a.png

June 08 toJan 09 Bear:Brent undershoots to the downside.XLE outperforms

image.png.33277be19944054ca516b9d4204a2921.png

Jan 09 to Apr 11 bull:tight correlation in terms of moves in the weeklies ie when Brent moves up XLE does...but  Brent outperforms.Brent +172% XLE +70%

image.png.c925c32897144dc69503d198b3cf329a.png

Flat period April 11 to June 14:you'll see the disparaty you identified in march 2012 disappears from view if you only started using the cycle peak.You can see by the end of this phase that XLE is +23% vs Brent -10% .Including Divi's outperformance would be substantial

The corraltion in the early phase here was quite tight.

image.png.7b49604fbf78838059d79892fdfd19bc.png

June 14 bear to the Bottom Jan 16:XLE -41% vs Brent -69%.

image.png.465d0e4b34521b39de8d0ce711575963.png

Jan 16 to Sept 18 bull:Brent handily outperforms +120% XLE+23%

image.png.9620e91b5ae9f23b8fab30ee0837bfd8.png

Sept 18 Bear to March 20:XLE -60% Brent -70%.Extrmemely tight correlation in the moves.

image.png.c51a1c1a8c1d412dc755824d9778db76.png

March 20 bull to now:Brent +179% XLE +50%

image.png.c4433e913191329fc130deb5036fbb6f.png

That's some top notch analysis SP

talking of analysis i had like a £100 left in t212 and nothing i wanted to buy a while back so i just threw it into NYSE:UAMY cos it came up on some mistyped search and was extremely cheap and looked crap from the website i saw, ive never really bothered to check it or be interested in and just noticed it tonight, so a zero analysis wild punt;

image.png.582d6ed87e2cf6c737273112d8c60079.png

You cant really make this shit up.

Wouldnt be so bad if it looked an okish company, but looks like some rednecks with shovels to me, xD

bit like a bigger version of the aussie opal hunters....

https://www.usantimony.com/

Nice bit of 1980's web design going on as well.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-crypto-currency-mastercard-idUSKBN2AA2WF

Mastercard now getting in on the game.

https://www.mastercard.com/news/perspectives/2021/why-mastercard-is-bringing-crypto-onto-our-network/

Notice the conditions. Select cryptocurrencies that meet the standard.

As I said before the government knows crypto is here to stay and doesn’t want to make things harder on themselves, regulate like a ton of bricks and drive it underground. Keep everything through the exchanges and trackable for tax and security purposes.

It’s time to forget reflation and value asset driven stocks. You’re all using statistics, charts, macros and thinking logically of a previous financial system. ;)

You all haven’t let go and truly embraced the clown world existence yet. Negative interest rates, inflation through the roof, UBI, million pound 2 bed terraces, crypto money with dogs on and food based defi tokens is the new normal for 1000% gains! :D

Next to watch is Amazon.

https://www.coindesk.com/amazon-digital-currency-mexico

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2020/12/amazon-managed-blockchain-supports-ethereum/

8 hours ago, Loki said:

Is there an easy way of finding out if a company has historically issued more shares? Take Intrepid for example, at one point in the past they were $300 a share, but if they have issued more shares would that make it less likely they could reach that price again?

In general i think a big cliff edge move down in price is a sign of share dilution. But looking at the intrepid chart there isn't a clear indication of that happening. I guess that means having to trawl through their website docs/press releases.

Inflation ETF going on a bit of a tear this week...ties into the sentiment in the mass media.

That actually worries me.  I am much happier being a contrarian investor.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 11.18.35 am.png

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

We have a phone appointment with them tomorrow. Just finished uploading the copius amounts of paperwork required to their online IT thing. That 7 year rate is amazing. We'll be asking for that one. Nice to see the small rate drop. Can't really get any lower tbh.

Good luck tomorrow. But actually Denmark has negative mortgage rates... Apparently you still need to make monthly payments, but the bank subtracts double the amount paid from your outstanding loan. Hmm, I suppose that kinda makes sense, after all if the bank was to send the debtor a cheque each month that might be disquietenig for the public and could even make the banks appear completly hopeless and retarded!!!

Archived