DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

12 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Exactly that.The people who worked and have houses to pass on tend to have kids who work as well.The governments no1 priority is keep them working to pay for the freeloaders.HTB is part of that trap as well as is pushing into Uni etc.

The biggest gainers from HPI are boomers children who should also own outright when they inherit.This green agenda smells like its designed to keep people working as well,cant afford cheap cars etc.

Well said.

My sons friend stayed last weekend. His mum is my Clapham Omnibus barrometer.

She knew the costs of a three Uni course. I let her off the missing info on interest rates and assumed she expected their other child to want it..aiming to go higher into higher rate tax.

She didnt know I had talked to her son that weekend on this subject including IHT and politely talking about the incontinence care year costs.

I dont think the barrometer will get it yet. She will I think.

I have no idea if she has saved for the Uni fees although I think she has to a degree.

I dipped in to the faux pas. Mr Amass had been killed thwt afternoon so I brought forward her news on Friday about wider issues with the murderer.

She took it. So I could carry on.

Linked. I had to see a clever lad today. Due for Maths but for issues beyond here, he had to come home after his first month.

I asked of his wider friends and many had stayed at home for local study at Universities in Manchester.

Interestingly, he said a good few were in a "gap year".  I highly doubt they were doing the Grand Tour. So what is the gap year then?

Either waiting it out or..other. Either way, holding back their cash if saved or withholding on taking debt.

A small survey, I know, but I think some people are "sussing" it. Not enough perhaps, but signs are there.

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

I think for the thread the question is who else gains from long term higher energy costs?.I think i was right on the transports,but lockdowns hammered them,and working from home.Of course producing closer to consumption will matter we know that.

Improved insulation is going to be massive though,so cross market says we go there.

What products have the best thermal conductivity? ie the lowest,,

Polystyrene down to Aerogel.

So i want a company supplying the solutions,maybe under the radar,

Cabot Corp ticker CBT fits the bill (i worked in the Chem industry so know what a lot do)

https://www.cabotcorp.com/solutions/applications/construction/building-insulation

Quick balance sheet or COMA score would be good anyone then,then il buy it,start with them.

I've mentioned on here before about the potential of 'graphene' to disrupt numerous markets. I'm aware that your risk profile is different now from in the past, and most of the companies in the space are still relatively small. However, the UK government are pushing green technology and the GEIC in Manchester is at the heart of new technology. For example, one of the tier 1 partners at the GEIC has recently worked with a company called 'Nationwide Engineering' to develop a material called 'concretene' ... Basically, they add graphene to the concrete mix and it massively improves the performance (no need for steel rebar when laying a floor)and it reduces CO2 by about 30%. They have also recently relaid a road (A1) using traditional methods, but throwing in some graphene to see how much it improves the longevity. 

I mention this here again as graphene has potential in so many 'green' technologies (including as a thermal insulator in aerogels as you mentioned in your post). Personally, I think it will be the material of the future, but as always DYOR.

4 hours ago, RickyBacker said:

I've mentioned on here before about the potential of 'graphene' to disrupt numerous markets. I'm aware that your risk profile is different now from in the past, and most of the companies in the space are still relatively small. However, the UK government are pushing green technology and the GEIC in Manchester is at the heart of new technology. For example, one of the tier 1 partners at the GEIC has recently worked with a company called 'Nationwide Engineering' to develop a material called 'concretene' ... Basically, they add graphene to the concrete mix and it massively improves the performance (no need for steel rebar when laying a floor)and it reduces CO2 by about 30%. They have also recently relaid a road (A1) using traditional methods, but throwing in some graphene to see how much it improves the longevity. 

I mention this here again as graphene has potential in so many 'green' technologies (including as a thermal insulator in aerogels as you mentioned in your post). Personally, I think it will be the material of the future, but as always DYOR.

forgive my stupidity, but is graphene dug, made, or grown?

1 hour ago, wherebee said:

forgive my stupidity, but is graphene dug, made, or grown?

It’s manufactured using chemical processes. You can’t just find it.

It is an allotrope of carbon. (Diamond, graphite and fullerenes being the others).

I have been into graphite manufacturers and users since the ‘pandemic crash’ of March 2020.

Graphene has a lot of promise for additional applications: anti-corrosion coatings and paints, efficient and precise sensors, faster and efficient electronics, flexible displays, efficient solar panels, faster DNA sequencing, drug delivery, and more.

Here are some plays with gains since spring of 2020:

0495DB28-CA94-493A-8271-D7540462B0C5.jpeg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

D65E7ED5-79AA-4FE3-8CE4-10ABFB04D0D5.jpeg

1 minute ago, JimmyTheBruce said:

Guess which one of them I picked 😭

LOL. 

Is it like Centrica?  I'll buy some and it will shoot up, watering your tears? :P

8 hours ago, Hancock said:

I've just arrived at the hotel and the fuckers aren't paying for my evening meal after all. They will be making 1000s from my duration here, yet they're wanting to save a small sum on the workers food!

First time in 20 odd years of working away this has happened, nothing like pissing off the manual labour before works even begun.

But it shows what those who get their hands dirty are willing to put up with ... and the contempt that office types have for manual labour.

Well metaphorically you will just have to 'spit in their main course'

I’ve owned Graphine manufacturing stocks since 2015, but it’s a bit Wild West. My biggest trading regret back then was selling a few of them and ARM, I took profit on ARM and then it was sold off and taken over and did a multibagger weeks later.

Far more uses to Graphene as well. It can have the potential to bypass Moore’s law and reduce the transistor size futher down 5 nanometers and beyond. Used on advanced aircraft, in the military and in medical fields, as well electronics, robotics and space applications too. Potential is limitless.

1 hour ago, JimmyTheBruce said:

Guess which one of them I picked 😭

I got in really early with VRS and luckily top-sliced some when they shot up on the hype. I'm still a huge bull though... holding and adding on the dips. One day Rodders!

2 hours ago, Jesus Wept said:

It’s manufactured using chemical processes. You can’t just find it.

It is an allotrope of carbon. (Diamond, graphite and fullerenes being the others).

I have been into graphite manufacturers and users since the ‘pandemic crash’ of March 2020.

Graphene has a lot of promise for additional applications: anti-corrosion coatings and paints, efficient and precise sensors, faster and efficient electronics, flexible displays, efficient solar panels, faster DNA sequencing, drug delivery, and more.

Here are some plays with gains since spring of 2020:

0495DB28-CA94-493A-8271-D7540462B0C5.jpeg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

D65E7ED5-79AA-4FE3-8CE4-10ABFB04D0D5.jpeg

How the fuck did I miss this and Playtech?!

:CryBaby:

Talking Monkey
13 hours ago, Harley said:

No, I wouldn't personally.  IMO they were good but have been overtaken and their standards have slipped.

Who would you say are the frontrunners now Harley

Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, Lightscribe said:

I’ve owned Graphine manufacturing stocks since 2015, but it’s a bit Wild West. My biggest trading regret back then was selling a few of them and ARM, I took profit on ARM and then it was sold off and taken over and did a multibagger weeks later.

Far more uses to Graphene as well. It can have the potential to bypass Moore’s law and reduce the transistor size futher down 5 nanometers and beyond. Used on advanced aircraft, in the military and in medical fields, as well electronics, robotics and space applications too. Potential is limitless.

Used in medical fields you say? Yes, I've read about one! I can't post about it because it didn't pass the fact checkers :Jumping:

39 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

To me AJ Bell seem a little more `switched on` to the customer, but perhaps that's a result of being no2, maybe if/when they become no1 they will `do` a HL?

JimmyTheBruce
1 hour ago, Talking Monkey said:

I cant say much bad about Interactive Investor.  Probably only the forex rates that piss me off.  I don't use any of their analysis tools or anything and for execution they're fine.  Fees are competitive and if you use their regular investment feature you get to trade for "free"....

And I get 200 quid if you'd like to PM me for a reference code after me being so helpful 😉

JimmyTheBruce
4 hours ago, wherebee said:

LOL. 

Is it like Centrica?  I'll buy some and it will shoot up, watering your tears? :P

Everything pales against the Scot.  I'm only 45% down on Versarien, I haven't dared look at the other since it went past 60%.

12 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Exactly that.The people who worked and have houses to pass on tend to have kids who work as well.The governments no1 priority is keep them working to pay for the freeloaders.HTB is part of that trap as well as is pushing into Uni etc.

The biggest gainers from HPI are boomers children who should also own outright when they inherit.This green agenda smells like its designed to keep people working as well,cant afford cheap cars etc.

Completely agree with the last bit.  The middle pay through the nose, whilst land owners get subsides for "Carbon capture".

19 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

I think for the thread the question is who else gains from long term higher energy costs?.I think i was right on the transports,but lockdowns hammered them,and working from home.Of course producing closer to consumption will matter we know that.

Improved insulation is going to be massive though,so cross market says we go there.

What products have the best thermal conductivity? ie the lowest,,

Polystyrene down to Aerogel.

So i want a company supplying the solutions,maybe under the radar,

Cabot Corp ticker CBT fits the bill (i worked in the Chem industry so know what a lot do)

https://www.cabotcorp.com/solutions/applications/construction/building-insulation

Quick balance sheet or COMA score would be good anyone then,then il buy it,start with them.

You were saying...

Talking of carbon capture, Drax shares have had a little jump in the past few days and its probably because of their BECCS project:

https://www.drax.com/press_release/drax-group-ceo-will-gardiner-responds-to-track-1-cluster-announcement/

From the CEOs 19 Oct press release:

“Today’s Government announcement is welcome news, and a crucial next step on the UK’s decarbonisation journey. Drax’s bioenergy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS) project will play a vital role in the East Coast Cluster, enabling the UK’s most carbon intensive regions decarbonise helping the UK to reach net zero............"

The East Coast Cluster (ECC) has been named as one of the UK’s first carbon capture, usage and storage clusters following a successful bid to the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

6 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

You were saying...

Part of the path of getting property out of the hands of the people.  Another step will be for OO’s to be mandated “green” energy in property.  If you can’t afford it, then you’ll be able to enter a shared ownership model with the state.

Another of my portfolio has also had a little jump today although overall its performance has been abysmal so now I'm a little less underwater than before:

https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/hochschild-mining-announces-plans-to-demerge-aclara--8240

It described Aclara as a development-stage rare earth mineral resources company with a strategic land package of mineral concessions in Chile.

“This is the logical next step forward for our rare earth business,” said chairman Eduardo Hochschild.

“It is our belief that, as two standalone businesses, both Hochschild and Aclara will have the greatest potential for delivering long-term value creation.

Any thoughts on buying into uranium?  Global X etf (US based) hasn't supplied paperwork for sale in the UK. Don't seem to be too many others,  and I don't fancy taking delivery of a truckload. Large miners seem somewhat diluted when chasing this metal.

12 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Any thoughts on buying into uranium?  Global X etf (US based) hasn't supplied paperwork for sale in the UK. Don't seem to be too many others,  and I don't fancy taking delivery of a truckload. Large miners seem somewhat diluted when chasing this metal.

Just buy  miners. I think its going to continue to run , though not in a straight line obviously, Sprott have taken up an absoultely massive amount, I would not be surprised if they face some regulatory kick back if thats possible. Now a branch off of  Kazatomprom ( not available via HL because they are outside of the Crest system ) are doing the same as Sprott. I am no expert on the sector but have recently put  first ladders in. 

5 minutes ago, RJT1979 said:

Whats everyone think about copper? Could it go up big from here?

I think David Hunter expects it to go to $6 before a market pullback.

Archived