DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

17 hours ago, MrXxxx said:

Anyone care to explain the advantages/disadvantages of CDI's over normal shares?

https://www.youinvest.co.uk/faq/what-cdi

https://www.hl.co.uk/help/funds-shares-and-other-investments/corporate-actions/voting-at-us-agms/if-the-shares-that-are-held-on-trust-for-me-have-voting-rights-can-a-cote-be-cast-on-my-behalf

CDIs are held in a trust on Crest.  The idea is they buy an equivalent holding in the relevant overseas exchange.  As far as I could find, you are not recorded as the holder on that exchange but get the div, etc as normal (but apparently not voting rights).  My issues are twofold: increased risk as another counterparty, etc and liquidity.  The last one is key as the LSE trade volumes can be in the hundreds versus millions on the home exchange.  To me just another one of those things not stress tested but may never be.  But they are the only choice for many retail brokers who do not provide access to overseas exchanges.  Note they are in the foreign currency so forex fees still apply.  DYOR, just my understanding, the interesting bit being the lack of detailed information out there (like the trust document!).

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

The Treasury verdict on Net Zero plans

"Policies to support the adoption of electric vehicles may disproportionately benefit higher income groups, and the costs of any policies that affect the remaining drivers may fall disproportionately on low-income groups.

That's a 10 out of 10 then!

16 hours ago, Paulie said:

Geiger seems to be up from 20p end of last year to around 63p presently. I'm guessing that the energy crisis will run through and beyond any shorter term crash and (selective) recovery. This is my selection, so I may try laddering into it. Thanks for pointing it out. 

TBF, Johnathan Davis, an old favourite, suggested it.  

https://jonathandaviswm.com/

He does a free newsletter and (a bit OTT for me) podcast.

Has his own style but there's gold in his words. 

He said I should sell my Chinese stocks which I haven't but fear he'll probably be right again!

15 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Legislation so mortgages only go to certain eco houses is sinister.Young have always bought the do it upper houses.Once again pulling the rug so only those with huge capital can buy those to then sell/rent to said young.

Gives me no pleasure but I was warning about a tide of regulation a while back.  Just the start, impacting your financials.  Napier is on the money.  This is what we should be thinking about as much as which stock to buy.  And the time to start that was over a year ago.

14 hours ago, Barnsey said:

Diesel was £1.44 at my local Tesco today, been a long old time since I've seen that (2013?).

Everyone talks and reports self serving bullocks.  Just look at the data and out of the window!

13 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

I really don't see things ending well for Boris the power mad cuntstruck eco nutter.

IMO he's just acting as a front man.  Personalising things is a trap if you really want to get under the covers of what's going on.  Boris will be gone at some point (early next year?) and the show will go on with another twist and front guy to keep us distracted.

12 hours ago, Froggy2000 said:

I was thinking about this.  If banks are incentivised to lend on new builds instead of older properties (as they are already via HTB), would that make older properties cheaper?  There would be less credit chasing them which seems to be the biggest driver of prices in most of the country.  It would then be a case of does the higher interest rate offset the lower purchase price.  I ask because I much prefer older properties!

I initially thought this too @Froggy2000 but then realized that as part of the announcement the mortgage rule was only applicable to new builds [if i recall correctly]. As a result, older properties are likely to maintain their value or garner a premium as they will be easier to get a mortgage on; the majority of people won't consider the energy costs of poorer insulation in the older properties when buying, only once they have bought.

13 hours ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

I'm not sure if he is attempting to destroy the conservative party or if he has his sights on democracy itself.

Never get high on your own supply. Or in this case never believe your own propaganda.

He's probably focussed on himself, like most of them.  He'll likely be well gone before anything kicks off or gets watered down but will have the requisite cv for his next chapter.

12 hours ago, Loki said:

They will be happy to lend to make them green. Their only product is debt.

I was hoping the decade of infrastructure would be exciting but it's just going to be 10 years of lies about viruses and co2.

..and token gestures/promises.

12 hours ago, Hancock said:

Its also absolute bollocks, just look at the housing stock in Britain, half of it is close to 100 years or more and falling apart, yet Bojo's coming up with a cunning plan to stop lending to it.

And a large chunk of the other half was built so shabbily it won't last 100 years!  Passivhauses these are not!

12 hours ago, Loki said:

They will be happy to lend to make them green. Their only product is debt.

I was hoping the decade of infrastructure would be exciting but it's just going to be 10 years of lies about viruses and co2.

They do it every few decades.  The intellectuals with their bright ideas get involved in real things in the real world, to our cost. The last was the age of modernist concrete back in the 1960's.

5 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

Next comes pensions, remove the £40k tax relief down to minimum, reduce maximum lifetime limit, remove the tax free lump sum on access, and raise taxes on drawdowns or some kind of means tested method.

Just before each recent Budget I applied to take the 25% out of my SIPP, cancelling it later (you even seem to have a cooling down period), just in case!

14 minutes ago, Harley said:

IMO he's just acting as a front man.  Personalising things is a trap if you really want to get under the covers of what's going on.  Boris will be gone at some point (early next year?) and the show will go on with another twist and front guy to keep us distracted.

I think this has always been the case in politics, well in my lifetime...the PM is simply the 'stool pigeon' for those behind 'pulling the levers/pushing the agenda.

5 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

Now all this won’t be vote winning stuff, but they’re past the point of caring about such triviality like that. Dictatorial government powers are now in vogue, they can do whatever the fuck they like.

Alternatively they just can go full on fast forward into crashing the economy through the floor, to get it all out of the way. We can then all look forward to our dystopian 1984 UBI utopia.

IMO, this is the plan!  Coming to your portfolio shortly.

3 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

Anybody going green?

I think the logic must be that if you live in crushing poverty in your old age then you'll use less energy or something.

Fucking hell.

xD

We need a 'Feck Off" rep (to the content, not poster)!  No, not one of these crypto oddities, a proper between the eyes "Feck Off" one!

HousePriceMania
2 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Someone will be really disappointed on November 4th.

image.png.f076e884daa1987fc54c8c7a2b78c3ea.png

For comparison, 2 days ago.

The spivery of London being what it is, a bunch of cheating crooks, someone clearly knows something.

image.png.104ccf8c6cb573f31388e3b2b152ee31.png

20 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

I think this has always been the case in politics, well in my lifetime...the PM is simply the 'stool pigeon' for those behind 'pulling the levers/pushing the agenda.

Yes but it's got worse, driven by the growing plurality, both numbers and power, behind it to which we are excluded (don't rank, marginalised).  

7 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

The spivery of London being what it is, a bunch of cheating crooks, someone clearly knows something.

Tt;du.  "Too Thick; Didn't Understand"!

Got my backup electricity supply installed and commissioned.  Interestingly, apparently new regs will require spike arrestors in consumer units.  OK, for lightening strikes but also an admission of a more unstable grid given what's planned?  That said, I'd be more worried about brown outs, indeed may have already lost some sensitive kit to them.

HousePriceMania
16 minutes ago, Harley said:

Tt;du.  "Too Thick; Didn't Understand"!

The city of london, it's a corrupt cess pit.  Looks to me like someone's been given the nod that IRs will definitely be rising in Nov, up a whopping 0.15%, with a 0.5% to follow.

The insane central bankers could have pulled a rabbit out the hat, again, but we'll see in 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

You get one of these and stick it somewhere, they are quite big in comparison.

1913111055_Screenshotfrom2021-10-2007-45-32s.thumb.png.e55bd1b2c761342d6f73840b3fe94728.png

I've been over all this a million times in the last ten years to see if it'll work 'cause it sounds great.  I've seen how the market started on hype ("sure it'll work in a stone cottage, just increase the rads a bit"), pulled back when faced with angry and litigious customers ("I'm cold and spending a fortune on expensive rate electricity"), to the current BAU "get HMG to push it".  That price excludes the install, thermal store, etc.  Last time I looked it was the same price as an oil install and boy does that oil produce the btus, still at a cheaper rate than the electric (but not mains gas).  That said, I may dabble in a small ancillary air to air unit.

PS:  Anyways, some cautiously installed insulation first and foremost is the way to go.  Not that I'd feck over my fellow citizen to make the point.

M S E Refugee
3 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

The city of london, it's a corrupt cess pit.  Looks to me like someone's been given the nod that IRs will definitely be rising in Nov, up a whopping 0.15%, with a 0.5% to follow.

The insane central bankers could have pulled a rabbit out the hat, again, but we'll see in 2 weeks.

I'm thinking of buying some Sovereigns I suppose I better wait until they put the interest rates up.

Archived