DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

jamtomorrow
20 hours ago, Axeman123 said:

What is money? Money is a useful fiction that only works as long as people beleive a complex web of contradictory things about it - and in that way it is like the nation state. When both maintain confidence they can motivate millions to cooperative efforts and raise living standards to an incredible degree, and yet both always fall when the elite they create get greedy.

This is the closest to a direct hit on the true nature of today's money, in my view. It's only worth something to you or me because everyone we might want to transact with already agrees.

The properties of whatever is chosen as money will certainly help or hinder with creating and maintaining such a consensus, as can legitimacy by authority or historical precedent.

But as to what money really *is*: it's just game theory, network effects and standardisation. All else is secondary.

• Agree 5
  • Cheers 2

DurhamBorn
5 hours ago, tank said:

His views won't go down well with many on here or the other site but he's been bang on in his assessment of asset prices in recent years.

My general view is similar to his in the sense that I believe asset prices will keep increasing as money is devalued by systemic inflation.

They might,though less than inflation.I think the most likely outcome,almost certain looking at the macro is much more sharing off assets.Houses of course will see more and more sharing.Cars will be going that way.You might even see the likes of  companies sharing assets where they can.Resources are going to be more costly,so first wasting them will need to go,and it will.No prompting from me,but my brother is scrapping off his car as soon as he gets a repair bill or failed MOT and sharing my dads for instance.

We are desperate in the regions for better public transport,but without it,more sharing is certain.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1

JoeDavola

For those who don't like the Gary's economics videos, please tell me:

1. Who else has a decent platform who is talking about things like falling real wages in such open and quite simple terms i.e. talks about it in a better way than he does.

2. Why the dislike of him in general? I havent watched all his videos so I dont actually recall him providing a solution yet but what he says is mostly spot on regarding the incredible accumulation/transfer of wealth and the end game in this just being a drop into greater and greater poverty for most people in each subsequent generation.

• Cheers 1

Harley
Posted (edited)

A "lovely" read of why we are where we are, 'em out there and us in 'ere.  A snippet:

'In the current ‘left hemisphere dominated’ environment, we feel obligated to seek protection from concentrated political hubris in the form of inflation – an insidious force that, in the timeless words of economist Jacques Rueff, “consists of subsidising expenditures that give no returns with money that does not exist”'.

https://www.pricevaluepartners.com/the-bug-in-our-thinking/

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 4
  • Cheers 3

Pip321
36 minutes ago, Harley said:

A "lovely" read of why we are where we are, 'em out there and us in 'ere.  A snippet:

'In the current ‘left hemisphere dominated’ environment, we feel obligated to seek protection from concentrated political hubris in the form of inflation – an insidious force that, in the timeless words of economist Jacques Rueff, “consists of subsidising expenditures that give no returns with money that does not exist”'.

https://www.pricevaluepartners.com/the-bug-in-our-thinking/

That was a really good read. They do a free review. Have you tried it, and if so any feedback?

I use an IFA for my pension access but that temporary….i have been saying that a few years, but it is temporary. So every 6 months or so also get a free review from another firm….very bland never been great.

But might try these…..see what they say. 

• Cheers 2

Harley
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tank said:

His views won't go down well with many on here or the other site but he's been bang on in his assessment of asset prices in recent years.

My general view is similar to his in the sense that I believe asset prices will keep increasing as money is devalued by systemic inflation.

Yes, that's what happened in Weimar etc.  And for a fair amount of time.  And is happening now.  That is until other forces became, and will once again become, greater.  We have now passed the "good inflation" phase coined by Jens O'Parssons.  So true until......?  Maybe, atm, less Weimar and more a step function of ratching inflation with no defation in-between to take us back.  Regardless, as the boiling frogs we are, it will happen in earnest while we are on our back feet.

PS:  Jens was a nom de plume needed at the time, the real author Jim Paplava managed to interview in his retirement: 

https://static.financialsense.com/audio/2023-08/financial-sense-20230803-dying-money-parsson-1384a.mp3

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

Harley
1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

They might,though less than inflation.I think the most likely outcome,almost certain looking at the macro is much more sharing off assets.Houses of course will see more and more sharing.Cars will be going that way.You might even see the likes of  companies sharing assets where they can.Resources are going to be more costly,so first wasting them will need to go,and it will.No prompting from me,but my brother is scrapping off his car as soon as he gets a repair bill or failed MOT and sharing my dads for instance.

We are desperate in the regions for better public transport,but without it,more sharing is certain.

I was on a historic town tour at the weekend and thought of you when the bloke was saying how people used to use their houses any way they could to generate income - lodgers, small shops, micro pubs, workshops, etc.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 3

Harley
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wherebee said:

there's a lot of misdirected anger building

Fify.  What people, here on Dosbods too, are heading towards is not fixing the root causes but "kicking off" and ending back at square one with nothing more than (hopefully just metaphorical) blood on their hands, and in a worse position to then fight the correct fight.  Deliberate or strings being pulled, it ultimately matters little.  But that is the way of things as the responses will bear witness....

PS:  We've recently witnessed continual epic wastes of public money all based on no more than fake narratives which have hooked most.  If there ever was a time to kick back.  But no, it's the fault of 'em over there.  Me personally, I haven't overtly pushed back but for that I blame no-one but myself.  But let's hear all the usual excuses and gymnastics why they really aren't excuses. 

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 8

Harley
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, M S E Refugee said:

Rather than wasting all that money on HS2 they could have reopened loads of defunct Railway lines in the North of England.

It would have kept our Steel making industry going a bit longer producing hundreds of miles of railway tracks.

The most obvious one near me would be Penrith to Keswick, Keswick has horrendous parking problems during the tourist season.

HS2, Covid, proxy and direct wars (well not quite "wars" for the direct ones), public "administration",........

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 3

Harley
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pip321 said:

That was a really good read. They do a free review. Have you tried it, and if so any feedback?

I use an IFA for my pension access but that temporary….i have been saying that a few years, but it is temporary. So every 6 months or so also get a free review from another firm….very bland never been great.

But might try these…..see what they say. 

We haven't tried them but have done some background research.  Our take away was that we were already closely aligned, although plenty of specific opportunities to improve such as using a CTA.  CTA sector performance had not been great but we have been expectant and heard today that the sector's performance was good in recent months (as have been our humble and constrained efforts).

PS:  Unfortunately CTA uses TA (looking at charts) so off limits to most here! :)

Edited by Harley
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Yes, I can see more “sharing/renting” as inflation bites.

A lot of what people now buy, they only use infrequently/once, they only buy because they have the money and it is cheap (ie from China).  I remember my dad  renting power tools much more than people do now. 

Maybe more of this,  new cool name “library of things”

https://www.theguardian.com/money/article/2024/may/06/how-rental-libraries-of-things-have-become-the-new-way-to-save-money

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

SpectrumFX
28 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

Thats the thing IMO we should all be wary of. The widespread public anger about how fucked things are will be redirected by those that have caused this mess to benefit themselves, and ironically to prop up continuing all the actions that have fucked things up.

Savings, pensions, ordinary people wishing to end tax residency here or invest overseas are all in the firing line. We have already seen ominous phrases uttered by TPTB, one that absolutely chilled my blood not that long ago was IIRC a UK minister saying something about people thinking of their country "like a gym membership" and expecting to be able to "just leave and stop paying". That represents a fairly big assault on foundational assumptions about the relationship between private property and the state.

Arguably reversion to the mean. With the serfs as assets to be exploited, unable to leave the manor without the lord's permission.

• Agree 8
  • Lol 1

Castlevania
3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

For those who don't like the Gary's economics videos, please tell me:

1. Who else has a decent platform who is talking about things like falling real wages in such open and quite simple terms i.e. talks about it in a better way than he does.

2. Why the dislike of him in general? I havent watched all his videos so I dont actually recall him providing a solution yet but what he says is mostly spot on regarding the incredible accumulation/transfer of wealth and the end game in this just being a drop into greater and greater poverty for most people in each subsequent generation.

I don’t really understand the hate either. However, whilst I agree with a lot of what he says, his solutions are all wrong. He wants higher taxes and a bigger state whilst ignoring that a lot of the issues of wealth inequality are due to the state being too big and that government spending on non productive stuff almost always flows upwards thus making things worse.

With regards to the last point (to highlight what I mean by unproductive government spending almost always flowing upwards) quite a few US junk food manufacturers (Mondelez for one) have cited a cut to food stamps as being a driving force in poorer results of late. 

• Agree 7
  • Informative 2

wherebee
12 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

I don’t really understand the hate either. However, whilst I agree with a lot of what he says, his solutions are all wrong. He wants higher taxes and a bigger state whilst ignoring that a lot of the issues of wealth inequality are due to the state being too big and that government spending on non productive stuff almost always flows upwards thus making things worse.

With regards to the last point (to highlight what I mean by unproductive government spending almost always flowing upwards) quite a few US junk food manufacturers (Mondelez for one) have cited a cut to food stamps as being a driving force in poorer results of late. 

Not only that, the US government food pyramid has been utterly corrupted so, for example, sugary cereals are rated better than cheese and butter.  So public services providing food have to buy shite to comply with official guidelines.

• Agree 9
  • Vomit 1

leonardratso

french windows, lah de dah.

People getting ideas above their stations must be crushed without hesitation.

(signed R.Sunak and Keir Starmer - Lying billionaires ltd.)

• Lol 9