Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Whats happened to TOS


Band

Recommended Posts

For years moderators on TOS were on a mission to ban anyone who so much as vaguely implied house prices were going up ... when they blatantly were.

They banned pretty much anyone for dissenting against the website line that MMR, S24 etc... was going to bring prices down, that landlords were screwed etc ... and the more politically incorrect posters.

Now it seems that as so many have immigrated to DOSBODS or gave up, that people who have a viewpoint only a landlord or a wanker could have are the staple posters on that site.

Anyway it was this comment by some complete twat called Prozac about it being good a landlord is putting up the rent that led me to write this... back in the day he'd be torn apart,but not anymore it seems.

Never knew "concentrating" more helped people buy houses at more affordable prices ... 

image.png.aed3d65cff95547d24ad93b4d83ae7d1.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TheCountOfNowhere
2 hours ago, ccc said:

That Prozac couldn't be a more obvious wind up merchant if they tried. 

I needed a hobby....

Only joking. I popped in to spread some cheer a while back only to be attacked by the usual suspects.

I think they hunt in packs, but there is no one left to hunt.

I messaged the mods months ago saying the trolls were killing the place and people were leaving,no response. Previously they were happy to admit the trolling was an issue and they'd been actively trying to contain them.

Perhaps the websites London owners are all into BTL/London pwopatee, wouldn't surprise me.

 

If prices head south quickly it might gain some traction again but they need to sort out some of their posters.

Dosbods has a much nicer feel to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a little slacker on the ban front, Happy Guy has managed over 500 posts! 

 

BTW, I'm in Tenerifé so will have a fruity IP address. Has TCON ever posted under a French IP? 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ccc said:

That Prozac couldn't be a more obvious wind up merchant if they tried. 

This is the thing i dont get, if i had a house and possibly a mortgage as these tossers must have ( otherwise theyd want a HPC) it would never occur to me to go on a website about housing becoming affordable to wind people up.

But it does seem the HPC website is dead as a place for gaining knowledge, apart from going back when a crash happens to gloat the sites clientele seem to have given thus the website has ran its course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/12/2018 at 22:31, Band said:

This is the thing i dont get, if i had a house and possibly a mortgage as these tossers must have ( otherwise theyd want a HPC) it would never occur to me to go on a website about housing becoming affordable to wind people up.

But it does seem the HPC website is dead as a place for gaining knowledge, apart from going back when a crash happens to gloat the sites clientele seem to have given thus the website has ran its course.

Agreed, This is my first post after moving from ToS. I would even (very strangely) find myself agreeing with TCON in that it has a much nicer feel over here. 

ToS is dead in terms of knowledge exchange and for as much reason as anyone daring to say that it's not a bad idea to buy was shot down and attacked as a troll. Even TCON has bought (albeit not in UK). 

Still would be nice to see the dome of HPI crashing down on everyone's heads but the powers continue to surprise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Adarmo said:

Agreed, This is my first post after moving from ToS. I would even (very strangely) find myself agreeing with TCON in that it has a much nicer feel over here. 

ToS is dead in terms of knowledge exchange and for as much reason as anyone daring to say that it's not a bad idea to buy was shot down and attacked as a troll. Even TCON has bought (albeit not in UK). 

Still would be nice to see the dome of HPI crashing down on everyone's heads but the powers continue to surprise. 

Bugger off. 

 

 

Only joking. :)  welcome. A brilliant little forum we have here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Bugger off. 

 

 

Only joking. :)  welcome. A brilliant little forum we have here. 

Thanks 1%. I'll not publicise it to ToS. tbh, I doubt I'll be back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Adarmo said:

Agreed, This is my first post after moving from ToS. I would even (very strangely) find myself agreeing with TCON in that it has a much nicer feel over here. 

ToS is dead in terms of knowledge exchange and for as much reason as anyone daring to say that it's not a bad idea to buy was shot down and attacked as a troll. Even TCON has bought (albeit not in UK). 

Still would be nice to see the dome of HPI crashing down on everyone's heads but the powers continue to surprise. 

It started dying when TCON and several others labelled people who pointed out prices were rising as trolls and getting any form of debate stopped ... my topic about Help2Buy sending prices insane in a matter of weeks which got me labelled as an EA then a landlord leading to a ban highlights this.
https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/196430-prices-in-hampshire-are-booming/&page=1

But it died as a source of info when it banned Durham Born, a polite soul for merely discussing the economy ... in the economy forum!

Even the guy who wrote a pdf about Section 24 (forget his name) doesnt post, despite being a cock he was xtremely informative when he wanted to be.

But welcome... most on here are boomers counting their HPI anyway, if i remember rightly reading your posts you bought a place to live after getting fucked off waiting ... you see a burst in 2019?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Band said:

It started dying when TCON and several others labelled people who pointed out prices were rising as trolls and getting any form of debate stopped ... my topic about Help2Buy sending prices insane in a matter of weeks which got me labelled as an EA then a landlord leading to a ban highlights this.
https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/196430-prices-in-hampshire-are-booming/&page=1

But it died as a source of info when it banned Durham Born, a polite soul for merely discussing the economy ... in the economy forum!

Even the guy who wrote a pdf about Section 24 (forget his name) doesnt post, despite being a cock he was xtremely informative when he wanted to be.

But welcome... most on here are boomers counting their HPI anyway, if i remember rightly reading your posts you bought a place to live after getting fucked off waiting ... you see a burst in 2019?

Great recall Band!

Yes we bought about 18 months ago now. Slightly more complex than the standard drones doing the HTB nonsense and new-build buyers who will likely see their purchase fall in price. We bought a wrecked bungalow that was verging on uninhabitable last year. With a bit of work we've made it comfy but are going for planning permission for a couple of options in the coming weeks (and advice would be gratefully received). EITHER, a pair of semis with the plan of demolishing and rebuilding (and we would sell the building plot to a developer), OR, a large extension to the bungalow to convert into a family home and we will do the work,. 

I've always maintained that there are opportunities in any market and would like to think we've got a good one right here. 

How are things with you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Adarmo said:

Great recall Band!

Yes we bought about 18 months ago now. Slightly more complex than the standard drones doing the HTB nonsense and new-build buyers who will likely see their purchase fall in price. We bought a wrecked bungalow that was verging on uninhabitable last year. With a bit of work we've made it comfy but are going for planning permission for a couple of options in the coming weeks (and advice would be gratefully received). EITHER, a pair of semis with the plan of demolishing and rebuilding (and we would sell the building plot to a developer), OR, a large extension to the bungalow to convert into a family home and we will do the work,. 

I've always maintained that there are opportunities in any market and would like to think we've got a good one right here. 

How are things with you?

I still read it now and then ... Cant you get planning permission do/fund the work yourself, then sell one and live in one ... i think the current building Oligopoly will be broken up in the near future and the floor will be opened to small builders ... as the profits are obscene and not what would happen in a capitalist nation ....  plus if insane prices carry on a Corbyn govt is a certainty, which will see prices crash .... thus a possible business for the coming decade! Beats working for someone.

Or on the other hand if you think there is to be a crash get planning permission and Sell to rent which is daft imho and certain folk on TOS lost a fortune on.

Im still waiting for a small decline of say 20% ... which will still mean prices are higher than the 2014 prices as shown in that link which look like a bargain. (even though they're overpriced)

The places i pay a passing interest to are ones such this in the North which id give them 220k for. (i know its shit but a good area)
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55195533.html

Or ones like this in the south, which id give them 220k being as it needs work.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69192358.html

or this one id bite the bullet at 235k
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57334119.html

Will need a small mortgage that could be paid off easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Adarmo said:

Great recall Band!

Yes we bought about 18 months ago now. Slightly more complex than the standard drones doing the HTB nonsense and new-build buyers who will likely see their purchase fall in price. We bought a wrecked bungalow that was verging on uninhabitable last year. With a bit of work we've made it comfy but are going for planning permission for a couple of options in the coming weeks (and advice would be gratefully received). EITHER, a pair of semis with the plan of demolishing and rebuilding (and we would sell the building plot to a developer), OR, a large extension to the bungalow to convert into a family home and we will do the work,. 

I've always maintained that there are opportunities in any market and would like to think we've got a good one right here. 

How are things with you?

Ah Adarmo you’re very welcome- great to hear from you- hope all well and add to the mix- 

the Nunning is going great. 

(actually just gone sale agreed would you believe).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Adarmo said:

Thanks 1%. I'll not publicise it to ToS. tbh, I doubt I'll be back. 

I had ten good years there and left when this place was set up.

The last year there was however a bizarre mixture of heavy handed moderation and arbitrary bans interspersed with periods where there was a total absence of moderation; it went from a pleasurable place to visit and chat to a mess. 

Only the name remains the same and a forum's attractiveness lies in its content and not its name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Band said:

I still read it now and then ... Cant you get planning permission do/fund the work yourself, then sell one and live in one ... i think the current building Oligopoly will be broken up in the near future and the floor will be opened to small builders ... as the profits are obscene and not what would happen in a capitalist nation ....  plus if insane prices carry on a Corbyn govt is a certainty, which will see prices crash .... thus a possible business for the coming decade! Beats working for someone.

Or on the other hand if you think there is to be a crash get planning permission and Sell to rent which is daft imho and certain folk on TOS lost a fortune on.

Im still waiting for a small decline of say 20% ... which will still mean prices are higher than the 2014 prices as shown in that link which look like a bargain. (even though they're overpriced)

The places i pay a passing interest to are ones such this in the North which id give them 220k for. (i know its shit but a good area)
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55195533.html

Or ones like this in the south, which id give them 220k being as it needs work.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69192358.html

or this one id bite the bullet at 235k
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57334119.html

Will need a small mortgage that could be paid off easily.

 The biggest problem with funding the semis myself is that i don't have the asset to borrow against. I would think though there's only an outside chance of planning for this idea but if it were to come off we might be up 120k in two years which would be super. We'd rent only if we couldn't find something suitable to move into next but would have the idea of possibly moving out West to Glos or Bristol and buying a small plot or project to finish up mortgage free.

Most likely scenario though is we keep the place and extend into a large family home which would yield the same return equity wise but we'd probably stay a while longer while keeping a look out for another project. 

There may well be declines coming but your memory serves you well in recalling i just got tired of waiting for the 'big one' for so long and for us it was the right thing to do. 

I think it would be awesome if you went for one of those projects and finished up in a nice place mortgage free... tbh That's all we're after too :)

11 hours ago, Thorn said:

Ah Adarmo you’re very welcome- great to hear from you- hope all well and add to the mix- 

the Nunning is going great. 

(actually just gone sale agreed would you believe).

Hi Thorn. Great to see you're alive and well and living on DOSBODS. I'm looking forward to contributing.

Congrats on the sale agreed :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I had ten good years there and left when this place was set up.

The last year there was however a bizarre mixture of heavy handed moderation and arbitrary bans interspersed with periods where there was a total absence of moderation; it went from a pleasurable place to visit and chat to a mess. 

Only the name remains the same and a forum's attractiveness lies in its content and not its name.

 My experience also. I was moderated without any reason given. Probably i just dared to suggest that interest rates wouldn't be 15% Next year and cause a crash. Who knows. 

Totally agree the attractiveness of a forum lies in its content and therefore its members. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Band said:

I still read it now and then ... Cant you get planning permission do/fund the work yourself, then sell one and live in one ... i think the current building Oligopoly will be broken up in the near future and the floor will be opened to small builders ... as the profits are obscene and not what would happen in a capitalist nation ....  plus if insane prices carry on a Corbyn govt is a certainty, which will see prices crash .... thus a possible business for the coming decade! Beats working for someone.

Or on the other hand if you think there is to be a crash get planning permission and Sell to rent which is daft imho and certain folk on TOS lost a fortune on.

Im still waiting for a small decline of say 20% ... which will still mean prices are higher than the 2014 prices as shown in that link which look like a bargain. (even though they're overpriced)

The places i pay a passing interest to are ones such this in the North which id give them 220k for. (i know its shit but a good area)
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55195533.html

Or ones like this in the south, which id give them 220k being as it needs work.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69192358.html

or this one id bite the bullet at 235k
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57334119.html

Will need a small mortgage that could be paid off easily.

Interesting to see prices are dropping in Ringwood, which is a pretty posh commuter town. I reckon that last one would be a good deal at around 275k and prolly on a par with prices from a good few years back.

Ferndown always was 2nd fiddle to ringwood IMO, perhaps wait a while on that bungalow and it might drop another 10-15% (though it hasnt been on the market for long).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is an article on the front page saying the ToS is dead

 

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/newsblog/2018/12/blog-prime-central-london-has-been-crashing-for-nearly-five-years-but-this-hpc-site-has-almost-died-217296.php

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

 

3 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Page not found. 

 

There have been a couple of hacks recently on the blogs with people posting stuff about HPC. I think the lack of moderation and upkeep of the site meant that they managed to stay on the front page for a few weeks before they were deleted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's there now.  Good find @Dave Bloke

Friday, Dec 28, 2018

Prime Central London has been crashing for nearly FIVE years, but this HPC site has almost died

Financial Times: Regentâs Park buyers take fright at London downturn

[...] prices in the area have been declining: in the past four years, prime prices have fallen 9.3 per cent, according to Savillsâ prime London index. In the year to June, they dropped 5 per cent. [...]
Normally HPC site goes quite just before the market tops. All the bears capitulate.
Not this time! They've been quiet through this slow-motion crash. Why...? Gone to Twitter??

Posted by sneaker @ 06:17 PM (766 views)
Add Comment
 

 

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/newsblog/2018/12/blog-prime-central-london-has-been-crashing-for-nearly-five-years-but-this-hpc-site-has-almost-died-217296.php

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sancho panza
On 30/12/2018 at 11:13, Adarmo said:

 My experience also. I was moderated without any reason given. Probably i just dared to suggest that interest rates wouldn't be 15% Next year and cause a crash. Who knows. 

Totally agree the attractiveness of a forum lies in its content and therefore its members. 

Ditto.Durhamborn and others too.

Waste of time if they're banning sensible posters holding a vibant debate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Ditto.Durhamborn and others too.

Waste of time if they're banning sensible posters holding a vibant debate

It's sad. I used to love just reading the threads and exchanges back in the day... going back to even 2004 (though i could be mistaken). 

It'll turn in to an echo chamber. 

I like this place much more. It's also cool that there's a lot of other things to chat about and great to see some of the old names here too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/12/2018 at 21:46, maffo said:

 

BTW, I'm in Tenerifé so will have a fruity IP address. Has TCON ever posted under a French IP? 😉

Yes... :Old:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maynardgravy
On 01/01/2019 at 13:12, Frank Hovis said:

Normally HPC site goes quite just before the market tops. All the bears capitulate.
Not this time! They've been quiet through this slow-motion crash. Why...? Gone to Twitter??

just too many false dawns. No one can tell when or if the real one arrives. It t's also will take a few more months of 'good' news before anyone can start to get excited (or worried depending on your side of the fence).

also, what is the governbankment going to do in response? There seems no end to their insane interference. My money is on the 'Gladiator mortgage' where two interest only buyers' terms come to an end and they're forced to fight to the death. The winner selling the other gaf to cover their principal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...