DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Economic Survival & Breakdown Of Society

DoINeedOne

Bobthebuilder
7 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Cheers Bob,I chitted my own spuds so I don't know if I maybe planted a couple of duds.it was jsut when the leaves went yellow and the plants wilted in two of the buckets I was nearly cryingxD.My eldest and me have put so much effort in I didn't know how to tell him,I thought we were going to lose the whole crop.

WHats the thing with snail damage,should I put anbything down?How do you tel snail damage?

Thanks fi you can help.

We got our carrots and parsnipts growing slowly but couldn't psot a pciture as I was at the limit on ehre and needed the help with the spuds.

I always chit my own and yes , like everything in life some do well and others not so.

I have lost a whole spud plant to snails eating the leaves this year, a first for me. Hungry little buggers they are but not a lot you can do about it really. Beer traps are good but mass killing on a micro scale and not something i like to do.

It all looks good to me Sancho, i will post a pic of mine tomorrow.

Edit, did you get a frost a week or so ago? could well be a bit of that.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I think I paniced a bit bob, but I'm realtively timepoor and I've been putting a lot of time into these and our carrots/parsnips/leekxD..A couple of the plants have recovered.But I'm worried I've either put too much soil in,or over watered....

Did you plant them using your own poo, like Matt Damon in The Martian?

That might be where you are going wrong.

52 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

where's the gardening one?

@Bobthebuilder

I've had a scare when I thought I'd got some blight but the spud plants look to have receovered.although clearly some damage.Some of them never got the light leaves.I looked up blight on youtube and it says you get it on the stems.This was only ever on the leaves really but I do appear to have lost a couple.

first ones are my good boxes,then the ones where .The leaves went yellow and wilted.A couple have come back as I got some feed and watered more carefully.

20200522_164533_resized.jpg

20200522_164558_resized.jpg

20200522_164612_resized.jpg

20200522_164806_resized.jpg

I would grow potatoes in much bigger pots than those. Even better to plant them in the soil though for higher yields.

sancho panza
11 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I would grow potatoes in much bigger pots than those. Even better to plant them in the soil though for higher yields.

I'm constrained by the lovely Mrs P who picked the maximum size of pot I was allowed.I'm not allowed to dig up any more garden plants until I've become a bit mroe proficient at growing .

SHe was apparently unhappy when I answered that the reason I'd ripped a hedge down was to get more sunlight on the leeks.

Some people are never grteful.

Appreciate the advice though.I need to gear up as I'm learning to prep.

4 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I'm constrained by the lovely Mrs P who picked the maximum size of pot I was allowed.I'm not allowed to dig up any more garden plants until I've become a bit mroe proficient at growing .

SHe was apparently unhappy when I answered that the reason I'd ripped a hedge down was to get more sunlight on the leeks.

Some people are never grteful.

Appreciate the advice though.I need to gear up as I'm learning to prep.

As long as you enjoy growing plants that’s the main thing. I’ve been growing for forty years and still learning. I’ll never lose the fascination of sowing a tiny seed, cutting or larger tuber and seeing them sprout and develop. Harvest and success is always variable but many successes over the years. 

It’s a great way to spend time outdoors in a garden tending to plants and enjoying the success of good years. Around early July I’ll be digging around the edge of my soil planted tatties to sneak a few while letting the plant grow. 

sancho panza
4 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

As long as you enjoy growing plants that’s the main thing. I’ve been growing for forty years and still learning. I’ll never lose the fascination of sowing a tiny seed, cutting or larger tuber and seeing them sprout and develop. Harvest and success is always variable but many successes over the years. 

It’s a great way to spend time outdoors in a garden tending to plants and enjoying the success of good years. Around early July I’ll be digging around the edge of my soil planted tatties to sneak a few while letting the plant grow. 

Yeah,it was a few people on here but mainly bob got me into it.Partly because I am a bit of a prepper underneath it all and need to learn the planting cycle,but also because I want to teach the kids about it.Even if they don't bother in life,at least I've done my job,

I worked on a dairy farm when I was travelling in NZ in y 20's and it was a real eye opening experience.

A long tiem paramedic I worked with once said to me

'every days a learning day,day you stop learning is the day you should give up.'.Wise words and they echoed around as I've been pinging bob with all my questions.

Really appreciate the hlp I;ve had on here.Theres so many conflicting ipinions on the web.

Bobthebuilder
13 hours ago, sancho panza said:

or over watered....

I really soak mine once a day and give them a little feed once a week, look much the same as yours.

IMG_20200523_114117.jpg

sancho panza
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I really soak mine once a day and give them a little feed once a week, look much the same as yours.

IMG_20200523_114117.jpg

Yeah I feel quietly pleased here Bob.

What breed are yours?

Did you chit your own?Do you plant them a few weeks apart or all at the same time?

I'll get some pictures of my leeks/carrots this afternoon.I'm not seeing much life from the leeks yet and somethings growing where the parsnips are but I'm not sure if it's weeds.:D

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

Yeah I feel quietly pleased here Bob.

What breed are yours?

Did you chit your own?Do you plant them a few weeks apart or all at the same time?

I'll get some pictures of my leeks/carrots this afternoon.I'm not seeing much life from the leeks yet and somethings growing where the parsnips are but I'm not sure if it's weeds.:D

They are just spuds left over from the supermarket,any i havent used that start to chit i put in egg boxes and leave them on the windowsill during Feb, March. I plant them all at the same time.

These are Maris Pipers.

Again a lot of myths about with spuds, you can dig them early for little ones or leave them until the plant turns brown for biggies. Jersey Royals are a maincrop type that are dug early for small ones.

If you are worried about blight, you can sign up to Blightwatch - they send an email when conditions are conducive to blight and/or it is in your area.

• 2 weeks later...
DoINeedOne

So i need to post more in this thread too.

Current events shows yet again being in the city is not a great idea
what's going on in America currently is mental to watch the human behaviour

Well if they're stealing shit why cant I

- Job losses over Corona
- More people liking the option of working from home now they have experienced it
- Looting and rioting mostly in cities where there is stuff to loot

Will more people want to escape the city centres? work from home somewhere less expensive with more of a community

lots videos on this thread too

ByStander Effect 

Bystander-Effect.jpg.bdd88050b07efe6747410e96c0d34485.jpg

Yeah it definitely seems to be a reversal in play where the cities less appealing.  Since a lot of stuff that draws people to cities, such as leisure venues are shut and their future uncertain, then this makes the case even stronger.

I'm not out of here yet and maybe stuck for the duration but I don't live in some maga city like London or Manchester either.   Could get interesting though.

2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

/Anyone a member of a shooting club.Looking to get into the sport.

Any starter advice? Licensing?

Using it in self-defence will see you get fucked by our so-called Justice System.  

Bricks & Mortar
8 hours ago, Loki said:

Using it in self-defence will see you get fucked by our so-called Justice System.  

I was wondering about it too.  Wasn't planning on using it for self defence while the justice system is able to maintain order.

Frank Hovis
8 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I'll probably start it up next year.

Do some clay pigeon shooting first off then apply for a licence to own your own shotgun on the basis that you will shoot better; which you will.

Then you can have a go at rifle shooting at a club and if you get very into that you can then go for your own gun on the same basis.

Tbh I think they're both pretty useless for home defence and you certainly don't want to mention it; though shooting is a fun activity IMO anyway.

What I would want for home defence is a concealed handgun but I think I can whistle for a licence for one of those to hold at home.

9 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Get a hoodie?

sancho panza
15 hours ago, Loki said:

Purely for sport Loki.You're very cycnical.

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'll probably start it up next year.

Do some clay pigeon shooting first off then apply for a licence to own your own shotgun on the basis that you will shoot better; which you will.

Then you can have a go at rifle shooting at a club and if you get very into that you can then go for your own gun on the same basis.

Tbh I think they're both pretty useless for home defence and you certainly don't want to mention it; though shooting is a fun activity IMO anyway.

What I would want for home defence is a concealed handgun but I think I can whistle for a licence for one of those to hold at home.

I'm keen to teach my eldest about survival techniques,one of which is trapping/killing your own protein.

If you know the right people then I think you can buy the annual shooting rights on people's land but I'm an urban dweller.

Keen that he learns the basics first.

I served in Afghan so have some militray training but that's very differnte to civvy stuff.

I'm interested if anyone has been through the process.I'll post some if Mrs P allows me to appy.

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Purely for sport Loki.You're very cycnical.

I'm keen to teach my eldest about survival techniques,one of which is trapping/killing your own protein.

If you know the right people then I think you can buy the annual shooting rights on people's land but I'm an urban dweller.

Keen that he learns the basics first.

I served in Afghan so have some militray training but that's very differnte to civvy stuff.

I'm interested if anyone has been through the process.I'll post some if Mrs P allows me to appy.

Some discussion in this thread.

I've been through the process of successfully gaining a firearms licence (since lapsed). It was relatively straight forward. Firearms are pretty expensive though. My .357 Marlin was about £900 (more now I'm sure). A simple bolt action .22 fairly cheap though.

sancho panza
38 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Some discussion in this thread.

I've been through the process of successfully gaining a firearms licence (since lapsed). It was relatively straight forward. Firearms are pretty expensive though. My .357 Marlin was about £900 (more now I'm sure). A simple bolt action .22 fairly cheap though.

Thank you Sasquatch.I need to leave the basement more.....

Look jsut what I was looking for.

Bobthebuilder
3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Ive done it before.

Its a bit harder now than it was a few years ago they have tightned the rules up a tad. It used to be a right to own a shotgun but now you have to belong to a club and shoot regually to keep the licence.

A shotgun certificate is easier to own than a firearms licence, shotgun cert is for guns that can only hold 2 cartradges.

Finding land to shoot on is a nightmare IMO, the saying goes you get 2 birds a year from a shoot at £1500 each.

You can apply online, just give it a go. When i applied for mine a while back i recieved the certificate in 9 days and that was it.

Self defence is an illegal motive, if you even mention it you will not get a cert. Its also worth knowing that a carrying a air rifle on land that you dont have shooting permission is classed as a firearm offence with a mandatory 5 year sentance.

Its great fun though, clay shooting is fantastic fun.

Agent ZigZag

Question  Building my workshop and need  wood hand planer. So dosbods what make model do u you recommend for general use

Chewing Grass

No5 Jack Plane, quality is in the eye of the beholder, the cut is in the sharpness of the blade and setup.

Agent ZigZag
8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

No5 Jack Plane, quality is in the eye of the beholder, the cut is in the sharpness of the blade and setup.

Which model No 5 would that be chewing Grass as there appears to be a few with some significant variance in price

Archived