DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

19 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

I have no wish to travel to vaults and wait in line with a bit of paper if ever SHTF. I’d rather be long gone rather than a sitting duck for either government confiscation or being robbed by the desperate

You may have missed the issue being discussed - fractional reserve gold.  Or many people owning the same gold.  Comex settling in cash.  Comex sets the settlement price since there isn't a market in a distress situation   Good luck with that.  That sort of thing. 

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lightscribe
3 minutes ago, Harley said:

I don't understand.  Did you listen? 

I was commenting on BTC taking the wind out of the sales in regards to paper gold, in regards to the younger generation understanding how the likes paper can manipulate the physical market. They know the likes of JPM rig it, so that’s why their preference is either physical PM or preference towards BTC instead of paper. Obviously older generation doesn’t tend to like BTC so will tend towards both paper physical PM.

Obviously I was joking in regards to putting it all in ChainLink, but what I was referring to there, is that as it’s regarded as a ‘great reset’ token if it all goes tits up. :)

@Barnsey i think wage inflation is certain now,job losses make no difference to it.All the factories near me are taking on and the wages going up.Crap paying places will only get crap employees going forward.Im getting phone calls every couple of days with job offers,last one Weds was a technician for a clean room where they are bringing screen manufacture back from China.

Question is does the inflation move so fast it catches a lot of companies out and crushes their cash flow?.Big risk it does and that could cause a huge debt deflation kicking in.

The other problem is the way the governments hide the inflation.Its 20% in many areas yet what will the headline show?

I still see around 60% over the cycle,but we might get a big jump,a fall,then a long steady increase.

A few of the best paying employers i know have used temporary contracts for a couple of decades now and only odd ones made permanent,but are now making people permanent after a month.They know they need to keep hold of decent people.

27 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

think wage inflation is certain now,job losses make no difference to it.All the factories near me are taking on and the wages going up.Crap paying places will only get crap employees going forward

Do you see this transferring into the trades/construction or staying with tech/production companies?

goldbug9999
4 hours ago, Harley said:

This does raise the old chestnut about "paper" or "credit' gold. 

Only to  zero hedge reading tinfoil hatters. 

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Do you see this transferring into the trades/construction or staying with tech/production companies?

I would say you are already starting to see it in the trades. Good Eastern Europeans want £250 a day round London apparently. Nothing ever gets cheaper in our game hey @Loki? Plumbing bits never get any cheaper. I had a chat recently with someone who wants a new fancy heating and hot water set up, unvented cylinder, up rated mains, new gas, rads and underfloor heating. When he told me his budget, it would not cover even half of what he wants. Then he mentioned ground source heat pump???? £30,000 right there fella.

Then he said he wanted to start the works next year. I told him to phone back nearer the time.

3 hours ago, Harley said:

You may have missed the issue being discussed - fractional reserve gold.  Or many people owning the same gold.  Comex settling in cash.  Comex sets the settlement price since there isn't a market in a distress situation   Good luck with that.  That sort of thing. 

But this scenario doesn't apply to allocated paper gold does it Harley?...I suppose the only way to be a 100% sure is to have physical buried in the back garden, but if the world gets that bad I think that would be the least of your worries!....perhaps the ideal is diversification like always ie. to spread your PM allocation across a variety of allocated paper, BV, PM miners/Royalties, and physical if you have somewhere to store it.

Just now, Bobthebuilder said:

I would say you are already starting to see it in the trades. Good Eastern Europeans want £250 a day round London apparently. Nothing ever gets cheaper in our game hey @Loki? Plumbing bits never get any cheaper. I had a chat recently with someone who wants a new fancy heating and hot water set up, unvented cylinder, up rated mains, new gas, rads and underfloor heating. When he told me his budget, it would not cover even half of what he wants. Then he mentioned ground source heat pump???? £30,000 right there fella.

Then he said he wanted to start the works next year. I told him to phone back nearer the time.

Yup, that's what I meant - the materials get more expensive so the wages had/have to suffer as a result

goldbug9999
4 hours ago, Harley said:

Physical gold takes a lot longer to obtain, but paper gold can be bought immediately, which accounts for the performance difference".

Physical gold ETF/ETCs are not "paper" they are fully backed by actual audited gold bars in vaults. I've seen nothing in the 15 years since I first invested in gold to persuade me that the price doesn't reflect genuine demand (or lack thereof).

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Yup, that's what I meant - the materials get more expensive so the wages had/have to suffer as a result

For me that's a no no. If the work doesn't pay the right labour, I won't be doing it.

This is why standards have fallen so far in UK construction. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

4 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

Or could have just forgot all about Bitcoin and put it all in ChainLink from this time last year and be sitting on 1723.96% ROI...You may of heard me mention it once or twice ;)

Anyway jokes aside, I do think the markets are hedging their bets between gold and BTC the divide being the older and younger generation hedging against the same outlook. As I’ve said before the governments are happy to take the tax at the moment, even the Nigeria government reversed their crypto banning decision. Problem is it’s growing bigger into mainstream investment vehicles and adoption. The government should have nipped it in the bud if they were intent on killing it off. The fallout will only become worse the bigger it gets as it dwarfs smaller volatile currencies.

As far as gold/silver goes, my pension is the place for paper physical in a balanced fund (after all, I may never see it). My ISA is for the miners (ride the wave in the shorter term) and my physical is my backup plan.

I have no wish to travel to vaults and wait in line with a bit of paper if ever SHTF. I’d rather be long gone rather than a sitting duck for either government confiscation or being robbed by the desperate.

C452922E-63EB-43AE-AE4D-7A10C507BDB3.thumb.jpeg.cfdbbd12317b4bd079bacbbbd1d691c2.jpeg

Lightscribe, I was late to the crypto party, but now happy to say I at least own some BTC. You mention chainlink, I was aware (can't remember how, it might have been your own post!) of its future use potential/claims but have missed the boat on that particular coin. However was wondering if you are looking at other coins which look similarly interesting? If/when we get a further run up in BTC i intend to withdraw my original capital stake (and leave rest in as 'free ride'). I might spend some of my 'spare' cash on other crypto-coins so would be interested to learn how you became aware of chainlink before it's epic climb? Not asking for trading advise of course, more a question about how to source quality info about the coins, to help identify a future 'chainlink'?!? Highly speculative I know, but similar risk to the junior silver miners I think.                                               And believe there is something in that theory regarding money flows (if also anticipating money that has been as yet held back, eg institutions?) from gold to crypo. For example, im only an investor minnow in regards the precious metals markets, but this time last year my portfolio in pm's consisted of gold/silver, both physical and mine stocks. Today, because I have trimmed/reallocated into crypto (mostly BTC), my pm/crypto ratio% is now 80pm/20crypto (in terms of my capital invested, which is how I personally measure this; actual returns over last 6 months skewer these %'s totally!!).        

Have to confess, I don't understand what role paper claims on gold have in people's portfolios. I think there are two reasons to have exposure to gold. Firstly, as insurance against systemic collapse. Only physical gold, in your hand, provides this insurance. Secondly, because you think it's going to increase in value. In which case, buy a spread of miners, or GDX(J), as the miners are leveraged to the gold price. Happy to be educated as always.

1 hour ago, goldbug9999 said:

Physical gold ETF/ETCs are not "paper" they are fully backed by actual audited gold bars in vaults. I've seen nothing in the 15 years since I first invested in gold to persuade me that the price doesn't reflect genuine demand (or lack thereof).

Besides the banks getting the occasional fine for various PM market mischief?  JPM's spoofing got them a $920m prize for starters.

goldbug9999

9 minutes ago, Majorpain said:

Besides the banks getting the occasional fine for various PM market mischief?  JPM's spoofing got them a $920m prize for starters.

I still think its 99% FUD. I just don't buy into the PM "big reveal" investment thesis - that one day a market fraud so big will be discovered that in-hand physical will demand some massive premium.

1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

For me that's a no no. If the work doesn't pay the right labour, I won't be doing it.

This is why standards have fallen so far in UK construction. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Couldn't agree more. I watched the block pavers on a job rip out the insulation outside so their blocks fit yesterday. So that will be a cold bridge now

27 minutes ago, AWW said:

Have to confess, I don't understand what role paper claims on gold have in people's portfolios. I think there are two reasons to have exposure to gold. Firstly, as insurance against systemic collapse. Only physical gold, in your hand, provides this insurance. Secondly, because you think it's going to increase in value. In which case, buy a spread of miners, or GDX(J), as the miners are leveraged to the gold price. Happy to be educated as always.

My take on it is that all my other wealth bar normal assets is digital anyway so it can't hurt to have an instantly recognisable store of physical value that is fungible. 

Guy De Bored

Long time lurker here. Really enjoy the site and thread. My first post. A question. What does the site TOS stand for?

It is often referred to but never by its unabbreviated name... Grateful for the answer...

Gold and silver holdings warnings (one of several):

https://palisadesradio.ca/john-adams-david-morgan-cataclysmic-event-in-the-silver-market/

Sure, let's hope it's all BS.  Rick Rule has also been stressing the Sprott fund apparently is not allowed good for delivery bars.  Have to hold actual segregated bars.

"Tom welcomes both the Silver Guru David Morgan and the historically consistent John Adams to discuss the shenanigans in the metal markets. John outlines the ongoing shortages at the Perth Mint and how they are failing to deliver. Even “As Good As Gold Australia,” a Precious Metal Dealer and accredited Perth Mint distributor, cannot place orders for silver from the mint.

Investors need to be sure that they have legal title to bars. There are some serious concerns about allocated accounts at the Perth Mint as individuals attempting to change their positions from unallocated to allocated are being denied.

Based on the terms of their website, they are in default. Most days, even 1000 ounce bars are unavailable, and customers are now liquidating positions and going elsewhere for metal.

Concerns remain whether allocated accounts are being backed by metal. John notes that the Perth Mint may have leased gold from the Reserve Bank of Australia, which holds its gold at the Bank of England.

David takes us back in history to discuss the beginnings of banking during the time of the goldsmiths. Goldsmiths would hold customer gold but then discovered they could issue more claim checks than they had gold in the vault. This eventually resulted in runs on these vaults when customers became concerned. David says, “Just because your getting the best price does not mean you’re getting the best deal.”

David expresses concerns regarding the iShares SLV ETF that it could have become a fractional reserve system. He then discusses the failure of the Northwest Territorial Mint a few years ago.

Those with allocated bars should be asking for their metal. These bars may have been leased or rehypothecated numerous times. There is a lot of paper silver flying around, and we need to start counting what is real and what isn’t. There is a massive mismatch between silver and paper, and most contracts are worded that delivery with cash is acceptable. Therefore legally, they can’t default, but in practice, they will have defaulted.

John discusses why paper claims could be numerous against every ounce in vaults. Comex warehouse inventory has declined by 26 million ounces via deliveries. Every ounce pulled from the market means one less ounce that can be used to back paper markets. If everyone stands for delivery, the Comex will be forced to let the prices head higher.

David discusses what panic buying could look like based on currencies like Venezuela. However, if you live in Venezuela and have silver, you can still eat. Many investors and the population at large have a normalcy bias in the face of mounting global issues.

The bottom line is if you have a synthetic metal position, you should liquidate it today and acquire the actual metal. When this is done as a global movement, it will make a massive difference in where the price will go. This will also wake up the masses as to what is happening in the economic system and is how we crack the price suppression program.

It’s time for people to wake up and demand what is the real money".

PS:  I own a bit of everything.  

54 minutes ago, AWW said:

I think there are two reasons to have exposure to gold. Firstly, as insurance against systemic collapse. Only physical gold, in your hand, provides this insurance. Secondly, because you think it's going to increase in value. In which case, buy a spread of miners, or GDX(J), as the miners are leveraged to the gold price. Happy to be educated as always.

I agree. And I assume the same considerations apply to silver?                                                                                         But isn't there a timing element here also? For example, I bought phsp/sslv - physically backed silver funds. I bought at average 100/1 gsr ratio and my intention is to swop/arbitrage to gold when gsr is favourable to gold. At that time i may buy all physical gold or mix of actual phys gold/gold fund. I thought I had until later in the cycle, say 2026?, to attempt to implement this plan. But are we saying I'm taking high risks now? Everyone has different risk tolerance, but in terms of confiscation, etc, I thought that was 'scheduled'(!) for late this decade when monetary collapse may even happen?

Welcome. TOS. means “The other site”, which was Housepricecrash.co.uk.  This thread started there a few years ago then came here.

I used to like TOS, I learnt a lot there, but it seemed to lose its way, not been back for years now. 

5 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

I was commenting on BTC taking the wind out of the sales in regards to paper gold, in regards to the younger generation understanding how the likes paper can manipulate the physical market. They know the likes of JPM rig it, so that’s why their preference is either physical PM or preference towards BTC instead of paper. Obviously older generation doesn’t tend to like BTC so will tend towards both paper physical PM.

That's the sort of thing he was saying in the podcast.  It's more a case of BTC v paper gold v physical gold.  Same with silver excluding the commodity angle.  Just look at the premiums and availabilities at these paper prices.  BTC is in part highlighting the issues in the PM market.  The generation stuff IMO is like most generalised generation stuff, BS.  The big boys and girls have been moving in and they represent all generations.  The crypto market has moved on from the old cliches.

PS:  This PM market bifurcation is being seen in the crypto market as increasing amounts are being taken off exchange into cold storage.  OK, part of the general maturing of the market with family offices, etc buying to hold rather than trade but still a possible dynamic.

25 minutes ago, Guy De Bored said:

Long time lurker here. Really enjoy the site and thread. My first post. A question. What does the site TOS stand for?

It is often referred to but never by its unabbreviated name... Grateful for the answer...

How the hell did you find us without TOS? 

It means Tramriel Operating System. We all used to work for Atari but lost our jobs when Alan Sugar decided to cancel the project. 

59 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

I still think its 99% FUD. I just don't buy into the PM "big reveal" investment thesis - that one day a market fraud so big will be discovered that in-hand physical will demand some massive premium.

We shall see, the paper price isn't wagging the physical dog any more, I was going to pick some of the nice 2021 Britannia's, but good luck getting them for anything less than a massive premium.

Archived