DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

BTL starting to hurt now and the roadmap is underway as we expected on here.The new laws wont help at all.Notice some crying about "a whole percent increase in rates" well lots more to come yet.Government doesnt want small BTL because it helps people retire,they want big corporates with thousands.Massive amounts of capital will leave the sector,lots will enter the wealth managers down the line,cross market the roadmap and thats what you see.My prediction?.Cross section of asset managers will easily outpace returns from BTL from here.Lets see.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/landlords-will-lose-money-next-year-buy-to-let-britain-falls/

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Transistor Man
1 hour ago, CannonFodder said:

Good question - men with guns come to your house.

Does anyone know how to frustrate a metal detector set to only ping when hitting pms . I know detectors can be set to ignore unwanted metals 

If I wrap in coil would that work.

Happy to have a reading that metal is present - just not the right type of metal.

Does it return the first metal encountered.

Put them in a metal tin. 

Induced currents or RF shouldn’t penetrate a closed conductive metal box. 

If things get really serious they’ll be doing neutron activation analysis.

Virgil Caine
14 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

The difference this time as we predicted is that bonds have gone down with equities,that is whats shocking people,they forgot there is a third,rare cycle,inflationary.

Repeat of the 1970s. Inflation is the game changer and will continue to drive investment  behaviour and market sentiment. The idea that the Fed or other central banks are in “control “ is laughable particularly as inflation is being driven in part by supply side dislocation. It is running behind the game just as it was in the Nixon, Ford, Carter era. They did not regain the ball until the Volcker era and some pretty brutal monetary measures. In the interim  the markets will rebalance even if it involves big financial losses, people going cold and hungry with the power off. 

Lightscribe
1 hour ago, Hunty said:

How’s everyone, promise I will not mention Polymetal, see, can’t keep my word. Funny; following on from this morning’s theme on this wonderful thread.
I come from a big family, I went out last night with one of my brothers, not seen him for a while as he lives quite away from me, so I decided to make the effort and go north to meet him. He lives in a seaside town, I did not realise but as you age it is quite nice to have the ocean on your doorstep. As he state he gets a free day out come holiday every day.
He is 54 in November, quite an intelligent chap, but never really used it in any way to further his quality of life. He would disagree, and make out his intelligence has carved out the path he took.
In 2003, he was talking about the stuff mentioned on here this morning, electronic currency, control, ID, plandemics. I used to make fun of him, but to his credit, he used to say I’m getting out of all of this shit. The rat race, just going to drift and use up my life’s credits as I wish to choose. By no means is he a hippy or a scrounger. To be fair he has never took a penny of the state in all his years.
At 29 he had his house paid for, worked his balls off from leaving school, I’m guessing he became disorientated in his later twenties, I seen a change in his work habits. He always said no kids, no wife, hence now I’m guessing many of you would think poor choice as life could become lonely in your fifties. I could not live without my kids, just travelled thousands of miles to see each of them.
Anyway at 30 he jacked in a £30k a year job, yep £30k 25 years ago. He signed up for an Engineering degree, not because he wanted to become an engineer but because it interested him. Got it all free, took out no loans and funded the full four years, Msc included out of his savings. He graduated, and took a job, lasted 12 months, then thought nah. So then he managed to get a four year scholarship to carry out PhD research, yep another four years of f--king around as I used to say. Did that, and took another year out on the money he had saved from his scholarship. By now he was nearly 40, and still owned his house debt free. A degree, Masters and PhD and no intention to use them.
Then he really did surprise me, out of the blue he took a job, I thought umm, he has gone back on his word and we lost touch for a while. Next I hear after 7 months he had quit, and his house was up for sale. Anyway we met up at the time and he was talking about emigrating to New Zealand, and so he did, he lasted over there six years, got his citizenship, never worked over there; never claimed a cent, just lived off his house sale money. Then on returning back to the UK I think around seven years ago he has lived in this seaside town spending the rest of his house sale money.
Meeting up with him last night, he is down to his last few grand, he has paid rent since selling his house, six years rent in New Zealand and the rest her in the UK. I asked him if he regretted his choices. He said I have just spent the best years of my life living in a way most will never see or spend in retirement. The years ahead are in health terms never going to be replicated. I will not allow the system to rob me of my healthy years in return of my hard labour.
I said what are you going to do now, no house, no work history since turning 30 apart from two odd one or so year stints in two companies so more or less 22 years of nothing. He said bro, I have no idea until the money runs out. But I look out at the world; I told you all those years back that things will change. Once they let credit run and run in 2003, things were never going back to normal. Look what has happened since with your roof above your head prices, look at incomes, look at the quality of life; what you get back off the state for your hard earned income.
He said if I go in my sleep tonight I have no regrets. I bet not many 54 year old men or women can say that, I can. Got up this morning read the last few pages of this thread and thought about his choices, my choices, money, experiences etc etc.
I’m wondering how many people are really happy with their choices looking back at mid fifty today. My generation were indoctrinated to think, work, house pension, more wor, more money, bigger house, bigger pension, better longer retirement. And so on. Look now, look what’s happening to society, those rules can no longer apply, everything seems to be turned on its head. Do not work, do not want for anything, just come to the state we will provide what you need and toe the line, just do not ask questions and want for anything. Anyway my fingers are hurting now, apologies for the long post, but if you got this far, well done and take care all. Told you I would not mention Polymetal again.

Well hats off to you Hunty (I promise I won’t mention the ‘P’).

I think your brother was right on the money (no pun intended).

Thats precisely the key right there. I traveled the world for years and got through a good portion of my house sale money from 2007 just before the crash (whilst my ex rebought and was in negative equity for a decade). 

People often asked me did I regret spending the money and not investing it and my answer was always ‘not a chance’.

Those virile years of my late 20’s with youth on my side formed some of my best memories with people, wondrous sites and places on a whim. No ties, no financial worries, just pure unadulterated freedom.

Sure I worked bar jobs, for ‘fun’ but I didn’t need to and that was key. One bar owner told me I needed to shave for my next shift, so I said fuck you and walked out. 

Yes, I have a family now, own outright and do a job that I consider impactful. So it’s all about compromise yes.

You will never get back ‘youth’, so every second of that should never be wasted working for a corporate machine in a job you don’t like, servicing an insurmountable debt that you’ll never have a hope to pay off. (Which with £100k student loans and 40 year mortgages nowadays it is)

The fiat system was destined for failure, the moment they stopped using gold/silver and QE/zero/negative rates only hastened the eventual demise.

The de facto - leave school - get job - get house - have 2.4 children - retire on a comfortable pension for the rest of your days was a once in a generation thing.

Some of the younger generation have already realised that the chips are irreparably stacked up against them and dropped out all together - hence all the menial job vacancies and who could blame them?

sleepwello'nights
2 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

You will never get back ‘youth’, so every second of that should never be wasted working for a corporate machine in a job you don’t like, 

Some of us liked our jobs or working in our businesses. 

18 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Maybe the market expects governments to tax all the profits so they can keep high prices,get the tax for themselves,kill the industry longer term and force everyone onto a bus if they cant afford an EV.

Have you now completely exited bp.shell?

You used to be predicting a multibagger outcome over a decade or so with buybacks and divis. AFAICS that.s happening now / still on.

Decl I hold both uk oilies and asset managers, more of the former and only top sliced shell a little. if they crash 50% I.ll buy those shares back.

working woman

Who knows what TPTB are up to.  Whilst there are people trying to scare others with what they think is coming, I really don't care what TPTB are up to because I have learned that they can't micro manage everything. 

If lockdowns were a practice run for them, then they were also a practice run for me.  Mentally at the start of the lockdown I felt stressed and oppressed, but told myself if I had to live in a cage, I had to find freedom within it.  Consequently I reframed things and felt better.  They had no say over what I got up to in my own home and I went out for hours on end enjoying glorious sunshine.   In the first weeks I saw one police car and one helicopter out patrolling.  It showed me that there is not the manpower to control the masses that way,  or that it was their main method of doing , unlike TV.  

I am just going to get on with my life, until someone or something says I can't, and then I will try to find a way around it.  

Virgil Caine
10 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Some of us liked our jobs or working in our businesses. 

Absolutely.

Strange to think that people  who build or produce things no matter how humble might get some sense of life fulfilment from that activity.

52 minutes ago, Hunty said:

How’s everyone, promise I will not mention Polymetal, see, can’t keep my word. Funny; following on from this morning’s theme on this wonderful thread.
I come from a big family, I went out last night with one of my brothers, not seen him for a while as he lives quite away from me, so I decided to make the effort and go north to meet him. He lives in a seaside town, I did not realise but as you age it is quite nice to have the ocean on your doorstep. As he state he gets a free day out come holiday every day.
He is 54 in November, quite an intelligent chap, but never really used it in any way to further his quality of life. He would disagree, and make out his intelligence has carved out the path he took.
In 2003, he was talking about the stuff mentioned on here this morning, electronic currency, control, ID, plandemics. I used to make fun of him, but to his credit, he used to say I’m getting out of all of this shit. The rat race, just going to drift and use up my life’s credits as I wish to choose. By no means is he a hippy or a scrounger. To be fair he has never took a penny of the state in all his years.
At 29 he had his house paid for, worked his balls off from leaving school, I’m guessing he became disorientated in his later twenties, I seen a change in his work habits. He always said no kids, no wife, hence now I’m guessing many of you would think poor choice as life could become lonely in your fifties. I could not live without my kids, just travelled thousands of miles to see each of them.
Anyway at 30 he jacked in a £30k a year job, yep £30k 25 years ago. He signed up for an Engineering degree, not because he wanted to become an engineer but because it interested him. Got it all free, took out no loans and funded the full four years, Msc included out of his savings. He graduated, and took a job, lasted 12 months, then thought nah. So then he managed to get a four year scholarship to carry out PhD research, yep another four years of f--king around as I used to say. Did that, and took another year out on the money he had saved from his scholarship. By now he was nearly 40, and still owned his house debt free. A degree, Masters and PhD and no intention to use them.
Then he really did surprise me, out of the blue he took a job, I thought umm, he has gone back on his word and we lost touch for a while. Next I hear after 7 months he had quit, and his house was up for sale. Anyway we met up at the time and he was talking about emigrating to New Zealand, and so he did, he lasted over there six years, got his citizenship, never worked over there; never claimed a cent, just lived off his house sale money. Then on returning back to the UK I think around seven years ago he has lived in this seaside town spending the rest of his house sale money.
Meeting up with him last night, he is down to his last few grand, he has paid rent since selling his house, six years rent in New Zealand and the rest her in the UK. I asked him if he regretted his choices. He said I have just spent the best years of my life living in a way most will never see or spend in retirement. The years ahead are in health terms never going to be replicated. I will not allow the system to rob me of my healthy years in return of my hard labour.
I said what are you going to do now, no house, no work history since turning 30 apart from two odd one or so year stints in two companies so more or less 22 years of nothing. He said bro, I have no idea until the money runs out. But I look out at the world; I told you all those years back that things will change. Once they let credit run and run in 2003, things were never going back to normal. Look what has happened since with your roof above your head prices, look at incomes, look at the quality of life; what you get back off the state for your hard earned income.
He said if I go in my sleep tonight I have no regrets. I bet not many 54 year old men or women can say that, I can. Got up this morning read the last few pages of this thread and thought about his choices, my choices, money, experiences etc etc.
I’m wondering how many people are really happy with their choices looking back at mid fifty today. My generation were indoctrinated to think, work, house pension, more wor, more money, bigger house, bigger pension, better longer retirement. And so on. Look now, look what’s happening to society, those rules can no longer apply, everything seems to be turned on its head. Do not work, do not want for anything, just come to the state we will provide what you need and toe the line, just do not ask questions and want for anything. Anyway my fingers are hurting now, apologies for the long post, but if you got this far, well done and take care all. Told you I would not mention Polymetal again.

Interesting post Hunty, really enjoyed reading.

It's good to see other people's perspective on the world. Many men live their lives providing for others while the State / Elites leach off of them, working in an office / factory for 40 years or more and then dying not long after. Some see it and regret it near the end and some don't. Your brother certainly saw it and has avoided that fate, can't knock him for that.

However, it's all about balance in life. Owning no home and having no funds / resources at his age is a very shit place to be; dependent on the criminal bunch of incompetents who run the country with a gigantic shitstorm incoming. Having said that he's got a bit of time if he uses it wisely. If it was me, I'd get a job, any job, save up for a plot of woodland and a campervan. At least you're then independent.

Reminder to us all though that life is for living. I've set a strict time limit on when I have enough and I jack it all in and go travel the world. Would never sell my home though, life it so much easier - had to sit behind a desk working / saving like a cunt for 35 years to get it though.

Your comments on your children; couldn't agree more. I've been through divorce / relationship breakdowns and would have been lost without my children. They have amazed me at the incredible adults they've turned into, couldn't be prouder. They have always been there for me when I've needed them.

CannonFodder
46 minutes ago, Transistor Man said:

Put them in a metal tin. 

Induced currents or RF shouldn’t penetrate a closed conductive metal box. 

If things get really serious they’ll be doing neutron activation analysis.

Thanks - thinking the job standard metal detector on local scumbag really than XRF

Appreciate it

15 minutes ago, BWW said:

Have you now completely exited bp.shell?

You used to be predicting a multibagger outcome over a decade or so with buybacks and divis. AFAICS that.s happening now / still on.

Decl I hold both uk oilies and asset managers, more of the former and only top sliced shell a little. if they crash 50% I.ll buy those shares back.

I only sold all of Repsol and top sliced BP.I still expect much more over the cycle,but im moving along my roadmap to mid cycle and i see areas to broaden out and maybe even outperform energy from here.Anyone needs to understand though i look at my portfolio from March 20 as thats when i was around 75% out of the market and by June was fully invested.Iv doubled my families liquid investments in that time.I have zero fear of drawdowns and if i look back my biggest winners over the last few years including back to the miners run in the years before Covid they all went through bottom ladder and started their runs from -15% to -34%.

I always find you need to step back and think about things.Not exact timing,nobody can do that,but consider forward.Its a brutal time,CBs and governments have destroyed steady investment etc,its criminal,but im very happy with some brutal pullbacks in areas i want.Inflation is what everyone should fear the most,because it will take all peoples savings,its made by governments and CBs and its designed to move wealth from one place to another and that place isnt bubble areas,houses or crypto.

34 minutes ago, working woman said:

Who knows what TPTB are up to.  Whilst there are people trying to scare others with what they think is coming, I really don't care what TPTB are up to because I have learned that they can't micro manage everything. 

If lockdowns were a practice run for them, then they were also a practice run for me.  Mentally at the start of the lockdown I felt stressed and oppressed, but told myself if I had to live in a cage, I had to find freedom within it.  Consequently I reframed things and felt better.  They had no say over what I got up to in my own home and I went out for hours on end enjoying glorious sunshine.   In the first weeks I saw one police car and one helicopter out patrolling.  It showed me that there is not the manpower to control the masses that way,  or that it was their main method of doing , unlike TV.  

I am just going to get on with my life, until someone or something says I can't, and then I will try to find a way around it.  

I found your post uplifting and it gave me a little boost, because I can overthink things and focus on the negatives we have been experiencing.  However, I deeply resent the fact that despite my best efforts the TPTB still managed to control me and impinge on my freedoms in ways that I could not work around.  Two in particular, were health care and travel.  In the first they prevented and directed us away from NHS treatment and at the same time took away the option of obtaining it in the private sector by commissioning most of the private clinics.  In the second they made it virtually impossible for the unvaccinated to travel overseas.

They significantly impinged on physical and mental health.  Many succumbed to these controls.

Lightly Toasted
8 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

The thing that jumps out for me is how un-fluent he is.

Apparently his career included a spell as an attorney -- his clients would have been screwed if their case came down to a "fire and brimstone" summing up on the final day in court :D

But mainly, what aspect of "American exceptionalism" will make the rest of the world prefer an American [now known to be untrustworthy] CDBC for their reserves?

Too sayings come to mind: 1. clutching at straws 2. power grows from the barrel of a gun [and the resources and capability to manufacture it].

Just now, Lightly Toasted said:

But mainly, what aspect of "American exceptionalism" will make the rest of the world prefer an American [now known to be untrustworthy] CDBC for their reserves?

Nobody will ever be storing large amounts of wealth in anything American ever again. No bonds, no US reserves etc. Completely and wholly untrustworthy. 

1 hour ago, Virgil Caine said:

Repeat of the 1970s. Inflation is the game changer and will continue to drive investment  behaviour and market sentiment. The idea that the Fed or other central banks are in “control “ is laughable particularly as inflation is being driven in part by supply side dislocation. It is running behind the game just as it was in the Nixon, Ford, Carter era. They did not regain the ball until the Volcker era and some pretty brutal monetary measures. In the interim  the markets will rebalance even if it involves big financial losses, people going cold and hungry with the power off. 

They can get control though, even now they have a path out of all this. Inflation can bail them out this one time as long as the right structural changes get made afterwards.

The problem is the politicians just won't change course, so it's all for naught.

2 hours ago, Hunty said:

Nice post…and provoked some great comments from others too.

I knew at 18 that school and work was a trap…life for me was about just being as happy as you can. We were parents at 17 and the initial fear drove my perceived ambition to succeed, it was the 80’s and greed was good  

I decided to work hard, play the game but ‘retire’ at 40….then enjoy. At 40 i had a fabulous 6 month sabbatical but it felt too young to ‘retire’ and I decided to take it year by year, help the kids, travel a lot, buy extra holidays and maximise earnings and savings. At 50 I was tired enough to give up work and enjoy time….apparently as I suspected money can buy you time.

Grateful for everything I have, I know I made my own luck but I also know I was lucky ie no divorce, no severe health issues etc. 

Life is good and now my biggest investment is my health, I am trying to learn to spend and genuinely working hard to get back into the rhythm of travelling and planning holidays (much harder than I thought). Spending still and issue, we never have wanted much and we kinda like the grunge life, the Co-op bargains, the second hand car, I guess it’s who we are….but I can improve that  

I will never look back and wish I had worked longer to earn more. I would rather get to 85 with no money than 85 and regret opportunities not taken. At 50 you realise the best 10 years of the rest of your life are in front of you…no point waiting if you don’t need to.

I am off now to try book a holiday 🤦🏻‍♂️😉

Ps…my Polymetal wobbled this week, I guess I can spend money 😆😆

Pps I should have started this whole point with the fact that your Brother sounds like he has got it right (for him), he does seem bright, and the way you relayed the story relays some deserved pride on your part 😉👍🏻. Nice we are all so different. 

Red Debt Redemption
55 minutes ago, Starsend said:

It's good to see other people's perspective on the world. Many men live their lives providing for others while the State / Elites leach off of them, working in an office / factory for 40 years or more and then dying not long after. Some see it and regret it near the end and some don't. Your brother certainly saw it and has avoided that fate, can't knock him for that.

However, it's all about balance in life. Owning no home and having no funds / resources at his age is a very shit place to be; dependent on the criminal bunch of incompetents who run the country with a gigantic shitstorm incoming. Having said that he's got a bit of time if he uses it wisely. If it was me, I'd get a job, any job, save up for a plot of woodland and a campervan. At least you're then independent.

Reminder to us all though that life is for living. I've set a strict time limit on when I have enough and I jack it all in and go travel the world. Would never sell my home though, life it so much easier - had to sit behind a desk working / saving like a cunt for 35 years to get it though.

Your comments on your children; couldn't agree more. I've been through divorce / relationship breakdowns and would have been lost without my children. They have amazed me at the incredible adults they've turned into, couldn't be prouder. They have always been there for me when I've needed them.

Will you actually reach that limit and travel the world?

Will the world allow you to travel when you are ready?

Will you get the same experiences as a 20-30 year old at 50,60,70+?

Will you be fit enough health wise to travel at your limit?

Its all a gamble like anything in life. 

I find when I set limits I keep putting things off as other things come up. Deffo next year, or the next and the next because..

Lightly Toasted
3 hours ago, Errol said:

Hardly anyone turned their gold in during the US ban. Only the idiots.

There was a story (hoax apparently) about safe deposit boxes being searched.

However:

The US Treasury also came into possession of a large number of safe deposit boxes due to bank failures. During the 1930s, over 3000 banks failed, and the contents of their safe deposit boxes were remanded to the custody of the Treasury. If no one claimed the box, it remained in the possession of the Treasury. In October 1981, there were 1605 cardboard cartons in the basement of the Treasury, each carton containing the contents of one unclaimed safe deposit box.[29]

I bet there wasn't any gold left in the cardboard boxes :D

reformed nice guy
2 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

Some of the younger generation have already realised that the chips are irreparably stacked up against them and dropped out all together - hence all the menial job vacancies and who could blame them?

And its the younger generation that they are expecting to pay for the debts stacked up by the older generation.

The signs so far is that the younger generation arent willing to pay up.... so they will have to start grabbing more of the wealth of the older generation. BTL, pension wealth etc Inflation and small landlord unfriendly laws look like they will be the primary tools just like DB predicted right at the start

2 hours ago, working woman said:

1713247001_2054321899-d5a0e95a16d53cc01b6719fc9d1b1dc62.jpg.b7dd28b08476c8545b3683d1ba424006.jpg

Wrong, that's called a Lady...

4 hours ago, CannonFodder said:

Good question - men with guns come to your house.

Does anyone know how to frustrate a metal detector set to only ping when hitting pms . I know detectors can be set to ignore unwanted metals 

If I wrap in coil would that work.

Happy to have a reading that metal is present - just not the right type of metal.

Does it return the first metal encountered.

Hundreds of ball bearings under floorboards.

2 hours ago, Starsend said:

I think iv worked 18 years in my life,thats a bit much really.I left a fantastic job at 31 with GSK,but i was in my prime and working shifts was missing out too much on life redundancy was on the table with a 50% boost to years in the DB pension then RPI linked,i knew the value of that from 10 to 15 years RPI linked.Il be honest here i loved women and i spent the next 6 years pulling and dating all over the country.I also even met a girl from Canada id first talked to when the internet had just started on ICQ the first chat program.We had been friends since,i used to send her Es inside tapes recorded at The Venue in Spennymoor,she was the most popular girl on campus for her parties with that music and chemicals,she adored me.She messaged me one day saying she was going to be in London on a work project (she was then and is now a film/tv producer) and it was our chance for a weekend.I can tell you it was incredible,Still friends now.

Another i ended up with lined her two kids up outside to shake my hand when i left,upper class,she was a big wig in the music business,David Gray of Babylon fame phoned her while i was,well you know enjoying her Hanging Gardens xD

Up and down the length of these islands i travelled (and once over to Ireland),saw most of the country,stayed for free in all kinds of places,met nut jobs,beauty queens,a woman who played hockey for England to a woman from Glasgow who worked in Greggs.

I woudnt change any of it.The only thing though is my house came first,paid for and id never ever sell it then or now.I also of course had my investments and although not huge then very nice.The income from them gave me about half of my income.For me life is about moments,special times,and i always had the mentality that every now and again the universe would bow to me,not me to it.Most of my friends married at 23 etc and have had boring lives.They think two weeks in the med means they are living.Each to their own.Life goes too fast,50 now and you start to notice your going invisible,where at 30 id get the look and smile of women every day now its much rarer.I can say though having your own house was key,and thats the big injustice to the young,one that i think might be about to unwind.

1 hour ago, Errol said:

Nobody will ever be storing large amounts of wealth in anything American ever again. No bonds, no US reserves etc. Completely and wholly untrustworthy. 

As you say the US is now a high political risk country for investment, at a stroke with sanctioning Russian reserves. It is an unreliable military ally, again at a stroke with the disasterous Afghan withdrawal. The US is a shadow of the country it was under Trump, and I don't know if even he could turn that clock back.

Archived