DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Decent drops

Wight Flight

Where will avg mortgage rates (NOT the base rate) peak in the next 5 years?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bobthebuilder
5 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Decent wee house I spotted has dropped from £350K to £325K after about a month.

Problem is I think it really should be about £250K.

https://www.propertypal.com/9-donegall-close-whitehead/781772

That is a whole load of house for the money. You would never need anything that big, be spending all your time dusting and hoovering. Nice outlook as well. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

That is a whole load of house for the money. You would never need anything that big, be spending all your time dusting and hoovering. Nice outlook as well. 

Yes it's a bargain compared to what the poor sods in the South of England get for the money - I do like Whitehead but this house is a bit out of my price range and your right it's too big for one person.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, One percent said:

What’s with the walkway?  It looks like the inside of a prison 

Many of the blocks in Belfast city centre have that kind of walkway - most of them actually.

I'm lucky in that mine is one of the nice ones that feels like a hotel rather than a prison in communal areas.

@Stuey - why do you think that's so cheap? Would the BTL brigade not want to buy that for £75K-ish for the rental income?

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

"3 Bed End-terrace House" I think is soon to describe the one next door. 

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Many of the blocks in Belfast city centre have that kind of walkway - most of them actually.

@Stuey - why do you think that's so cheap? Would the BTL brigade not want to buy that for £75K-ish for the rental income?

Must be £10-15k renovation needed. Here's one not far away in a nicer block and not around late night pubs & nightclubs:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85444236#/?channel=RES_BUY

1 hour ago, Stuey said:

"3 Bed End-terrace House" I think is soon to describe the one next door. 

Must be £10-15k renovation needed. Here's one not far away in a nicer block and not around late night pubs & nightclubs:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/85444236#/?channel=RES_BUY

See that's what a flat should cost. Nice location too being beside the water.

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

See that's what a flat should cost. Nice location too being beside the water.

£145pcm in service charge/ground rent. Net rental income ~£250. Not much. Not great for the landlord or the tenant! 

5% yield I guess, could go even cheaper. 

On 18/11/2022 at 18:07, JoeDavola said:

Yes it's a bargain compared to what the poor sods in the South of England get for the money - I do like Whitehead but this house is a bit out of my price range and your right it's too big for one person.

I'm not sure I live in a 2/3 bed and it would be really nice to have another 2 bedrooms, one of which I can convert to study and another I can use as a home gym.  I'm looking for a 4 bed which may sound OTT but I think it's worth it. Problem is everyone wants a 4 bed.

15 minutes ago, spunko said:

I'm not sure I live in a 2/3 bed and it would be really nice to have another 2 bedrooms, one of which I can convert to study and another I can use as a home gym.  I'm looking for a 4 bed which may sound OTT but I think it's worth it. Problem is everyone wants a 4 bed.

A 2/3 bed with enough garden to add a log cabin office/gym might be easier to find?

The problem with 5 bed houses is you also get 5 bed space downstairs which can be a bit rattly for one.

24 minutes ago, spunko said:

Yeah to be fair I could absolutely make use of all the space, I just don't earn enough to buy/maintain it.

Ideally I'd like:

- a big living room

- a dining room or kitchen/diner - i.e. not having to have my dining table in the living room

- my bedroom

- guest bedroom

- home gym

- home office which doubles up as music room for all my guitars and a recording setup

So that's 4 big bedrooms would be used up easily ;)

But the reality is with 4 bed detached these days your competing with 2 good wages plus two sets of BOMAD - so as a single bloke you'd need to be earning loads to compete with that.

9 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

- guest bedroom

- home gym

- home office which doubles up as music room for all my guitars and a recording setup

Jay be folding bed turns either of the last 2 into the first one.

Or futon or bed settee.

Just now, belfastchild said:

Jay be folding bed turns either of the last 2 into the first one.

Or futon or bed settee.

Yep very sensible.

I even have a 'spare bedroom' in my one bed flat at the moment as I bought a top of the range double inflatable bed that I can blow up in the middle of the room if a mate is over in Belfast for a gig or a few drinks - only used it once so far though! (No it wasn't cause the other bed had been shat in.)

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah to be fair I could absolutely make use of all the space, I just don't earn enough to buy/maintain it.

Ideally I'd like:

- a big living room

- a dining room or kitchen/diner - i.e. not having to have my dining table in the living room

- my bedroom

- guest bedroom

- home gym

So that's 4 big bedrooms would be used up easily ;)

But the reality is with 4 bed detached these days your competing with 2 good wages plus two sets of BOMAD - so as a single bloke you'd need to be earning loads to compete with that.

A big living room is a PITA.

Ours was 35 x 18 and we almost never used it. Put a ping pong table in one end at Christmas and that was the most use it ever got.

15 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

A big living room is a PITA.

Ours was 35 x 18 and we almost never used it. Put a ping pong table in one end at Christmas and that was the most use it ever got.

My idea of ‘big’ is more modest - I’m used to a living room that’s 11.5 feet wide so won’t settle for less than that as, if nothing else my fucking telly won’t fit. 

But many houses even some expensive ones have narrow shit claustrophobic living rooms.

I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a house with a living room as big as you’ve described there.….25 by 15 sounds like about what id ideally want but 99% sure I won’t get as you need to buy too big/expensive a house to get that sized room.

43 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

My idea of ‘big’ is more modest - I’m used to a living room that’s 11.5 feet wide so won’t settle for less than that as, if nothing else my fucking telly won’t fit. 

But many houses even some expensive ones have narrow shit claustrophobic living rooms.

I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a house with a living room as big as you’ve described there.….25 by 15 sounds like about what id ideally want but 99% sure I won’t get as you need to buy too big/expensive a house to get that sized room.

Agreed. That one was far too big, but I have seen much bigger.

25 x 15 is probably about perfect.

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

That's a big telly.

5 hours ago, spunko said:

another I can use as a home gym.  

Aren't you against WFH?

I've trained at home and hated it. The gym will always outclass home training. It's so anti-social...

B|

5 hours ago, Stuey said:

Aren't you against WFH?

I've trained at home and hated it. The gym will always outclass home training. It's so anti-social...

B|

No I'm not against it I just think some people take the complete piss. But j don't go to bed at 7pm so there's plenty of time in the evening to do things like that for me.

6 hours ago, spunko said:

No I'm not against it I just think some people take the complete piss. But j don't go to bed at 7pm so there's plenty of time in the evening to do things like that for me.

Self employed and doing any amount of computer / IT work  many self employed have effectively worked from home for decades now, certainly I have on and off, hardly ever seeing a client when I was doing that sort of work. Most were only a handful of meetings, one to get the job, one for get the spec signed off and one for sign off not uncommon. It is not like WFH was invented week 1 of lockdown.

Archived