DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Decent drops

Wight Flight

Where will avg mortgage rates (NOT the base rate) peak in the next 5 years?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, A_P said:

@JoeDavola are you keeping tabs here in NI? any drops yet?

I've more or less stopped looking for a while. Just got tired of it all. Maybe log on once a week - my folks are still checking multiple times a day despite not finding anything suitable for about 2 years now.

I think there's a lot of stuff just isn't selling; but I think NI sellers will be slow to actually drop prices, preferring to just leave houses on the market for months.

Think I mentioned before a house near my folks that has had £15K knocked off it; apparently has went sale agreed and then fallen through 3 times in the last year or so.

But it'll need a lot more than £15K knocked off it to go back to early 2020 prices.

If I was an EA I'd be shitting myself as it was already a low volume market over the last couple years and now the inflation plus IR rises mean fewer people than ever will be wanting to move.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, spunko said:

I am giving thought to bringing it back, but I'm not sure what used to power it, if there was an API or if they were just scraping Rightmove etc. Will look into it.

If you do, and that would be great, please take advertising on it to give you the revenue that you're not receivng from here.

Even Google Ads can't object to a list of house price reductions.

Maybe @HousePriceMania can give you some steers.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you do, and that would be great, please take advertising on it to give you the revenue that you're not receivng from here.

I did look into a number of years ago, and after a quick glance I don't think much has changed (sadly).

Rightmove exercise all copyright to their listings including photos and descriptions. I believe they threatened to sue Property Snake back in the day for using the photos from there. SO they switched to Oodle.co.uk for their property data but it doesn't look like this site is maintained now.

Rightmove also don't have an API, the only one that does is Zoopla but they purposely make it very difficult to obtain the house number or name for each listing. I'll keep looking but doesn't look promising without doing a lot of scraping which is a right ballache.

Is the Property Lion twitter feed manually done or are you using some sort of tool @HousePriceMania

17 minutes ago, spunko said:

I am giving thought to bringing it back, but I'm not sure what used to power it, if there was an API or if they were just scraping Rightmove etc. Will look into it.

Was just thinking the same; I reckon you'd probably have to just scrape the website.

A while back on NI reddit I software bloke said he'd created a site to scrape the NI property sites but was keeping it for himself. The two NI portals if you want to create an NI one are: https://www.propertypal.com/ and https://www.propertynews.com/.

@Malthus and other NI folk, do you remember during the '08-12 NI crash (50%+ falls) there was a website that tracked it called "Trees Don't Grow to the Sky"? Must see if I can find a reference to it in order to make sure I didn't dream it.

A website that provided real stats about not only price drops but even selling times and how many times certain houses get relisted, would be brilliant.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Was just thinking the same; I reckon you'd probably have to just scrape the website.

A whole back on NI reddit I software bloke said he'd created a site to scrape the NI property sites but was keeping it for himself. The two NI portals if you want to create an NI one are: https://www.propertypal.com/ and https://www.propertynews.com/.

@Malthus and other NI folk, do you remember during the '08-12 NI crash (50%+ falls) there was a website that tracked it called "Trees Don't Grow to the Sky"? Must see if I can find a reference to it in order to make sure I didn't dream it.

A website that provided real stats about not only price drops but even selling times and how many times certain houses get relisted, would be brilliant.

I reckon the easiest way would be to get PATMA (who develop the Property History extension similar to PropertyBee) to open up an API.

Still think that Property Bee was a great idea, shame that the owner sold it to some shady BTL outfit.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

I reckon the easiest way would be to get PATMA (who develop the Property History extension similar to PropertyBee) to open up an API.

Still think that Property Bee was a great idea, shame that the owner sold it to some shady BTL outfit.

I'm guessing they must be in turn scraping from rightmove?

I wouldn't have thought the property portals would actually want people knowing the real house stats; as their own customers the EA's don't want folk to know how many prices have dropped and how many times a house has been relisted.

5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm guessing they must be in turn scraping from rightmove?

I wouldn't have thought the property portals would actually want people knowing the real house stats; as their own customers the EA's don't want folk to know how many prices have dropped and how many times a house has been relisted.

Don't know, scraping is more or less illegal or at least against most website's T&Cs.

PaTmA are just harvesting the price drop data from every user of their browser extension, they appear to be using it for "Price alerts" and other things geared towards the BTL crowd so I'm not sure they'd be keen on my proposal to highlight a property crash :D But I've emailed them anyway.

7 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

Amateur alert - How do you get the price drop data?

https://www.patma.co.uk/page/property-tools-browser-extensions/

Just now, spunko said:

Don't know, scraping is more or less illegal or at least against most website's T&Cs.

PaTmA are just harvesting the price drop data from every user of their browser extension, they appear to be using it for "Price alerts" and other things geared towards the BTL crowd so I'm not sure they'd be keen on my proposal to highlight a property crash :D But I've emailed them anyway.

I would have phrased it as identifying "below market value" opportunities...

HousePriceMania
25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I had a quick look at that that website, nothing much to indicate how it worked.

I thought about doing a dedicated website for Property Lion but thought RM might be pissed off as it'd basically be all their listings.

I am thinking thought I could generate a top ten drops per region every week and tweet them out. 

Popped over there to the NI sub-forum of the other site; some old posters from the crash years are making a reappearence (subby was one of the most frequent posters up until about 10 years back):

image.thumb.png.ec07dbd652f2faa86f1015b645d38772.png

image.png.315ebafccbe61342b4a869f9ca862446.png

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Popped over there to the NI sub-forum of the other site; some old posters from the crash years are making a reappearence (subby was one of the most frequent posters up until about 10 years back):

image.thumb.png.ec07dbd652f2faa86f1015b645d38772.png

image.png.315ebafccbe61342b4a869f9ca862446.png

And in 2035 Jazzy boy @Jazztraveller will still be here talking about Forever Lockdown...

Why have they put their lives on hold for so long?

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

On hold in what way exactly?

Living where they don't want to live while waiting for someone to just give away a house. 

32 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

A while back on NI reddit I software bloke said he'd created a site to scrape the NI property sites but was keeping it for himself. The two NI portals if you want to create an NI one are: https://www.propertypal.com/ and https://www.propertynews.com/.

It was a fabulous site but I think the property selling websites took legal action to stop them providing the data 

It was great fun tracking the drops on it 

Anecdotally in my area the market has stopped imho 

There is a greatly increased supply (from a low level) 

There are a lot of cheaper houses and flats which look like landlords bailing out 

No furniture in 2 bed houses with laminate floors and neutral paint 

Would have been snapped up next day 2 months ago 

Also a lot of McMansions going for sale 

I’ve also spotted an couple of sale agreed going back on the market 

@JoeDavola , I called an NI crash 2.0 a few weeks ago , looks like it’s on 

Just now, Stuey said:

Living where they don't want to live while waiting for someone to just give away a house. 

And why would you assume any of them are doing that?

I think most of the NI folk on that forum own houses they're perfectly happy with.

You do talk a lot of shite sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Stuey said:

waiting for someone to just give away a house. 

excellent trolling! just needs to be a bit less subtle, try and work in "worked hard" and "what its worth".

36 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I've more or less stopped looking for a while. Just got tired of it all. Maybe log on once a week - my folks are still checking multiple times a day despite not finding anything suitable for about 2 years now.

I think there's a lot of stuff just isn't selling; but I think NI sellers will be slow to actually drop prices, preferring to just leave houses on the market for months.

Think I mentioned before a house near my folks that has had £15K knocked off it; apparently has went sale agreed and then fallen through 3 times in the last year or so.

But it'll need a lot more than £15K knocked off it to go back to early 2020 prices.

If I was an EA I'd be shitting myself as it was already a low volume market over the last couple years and now the inflation plus IR rises mean fewer people than ever will be wanting to move.

I only keep an eye on the boards when I'm out. The house I mentioned a month or so ago which went straight to sold on the upper Newtownards road is now back to for sale. I assume they put the wrong board up and it fell through. But mostly seems to be no discernable change. Early days tbf.

Interestingly the block of apartments in Holywood you can see from the main road is now having work done on the commercial portion on the ground floor which I guess was boarded up from new.

Just now, A_P said:

Interestingly the block of apartments in Holywood you can see from the main road is now having work done on the commercial portion on the ground floor which I guess was boarded up from new.

New cladding?

1 minute ago, A_P said:

I only keep an eye on the boards when I'm out. The house I mentioned a month or so ago which went straight to sold on the upper Newtownards road is now back to for sale. I assume they put the wrong board up and it fell through. But mostly seems to be no discernable change. Early days tbf.

I think we'll see more chains falling through, though obviously that doesn't lead to price falls it's just a very slow market.

Yeah I know the one you mean, I go up to hollywood for a dander every now and then. Most apartment blocks I've seen with commercial premesis at the bottom generally have problems finding businesses to rent them.

Given that Hollywood town centre is mostly charity shops I imagine the same is true for that block :D

22 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Jesus I hope this is trolling. If you're going to morph into a greedy boomer just because youve finally bought a house, you can frig off. :D

22 minutes ago, Malthus said:

@JoeDavola , I called an NI crash 2.0 a few weeks ago , looks like it’s on 

Too early to say imo. I would be very wary of the old problem, reaction, solution.

9 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I think we'll see more chains falling through, though obviously that doesn't lead to price falls it's just a very slow market.

Yeah I know the one you mean, I go up to hollywood for a dander every now and then. Most apartment blocks I've seen with commercial premesis at the bottom generally have problems finding businesses to rent them.

Given that Hollywood town centre is mostly charity shops I imagine the same is true for that block :D

i thought they would at least get the bulk of commercial unit ready for shoppfitting at the time. They were laying foundations the other day I walked by 😳.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

That is actually a really nice house. And in an AONB too so probably will remain nice.

Though on second thoughts, are some of the external images CGI?

Fucking open plan shite. Who wants to relax in the kitchen :Old:

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Jesus I hope this is trolling. If you're going to morph into a greedy boomer just because youve finally bought a house, you can frig off. :D

That is exactly what has happened. He's not trolling he's being serious.

Archived