DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's in your portfolio - and why?

Mandalorian

On 13/04/2024 at 10:24, Jesus Wept said:

Yep. (Eg see Rolls Royce thread).

Unwound everything last few weeks.

Does not mean I will stay in cash forever .

(I also own a house / home - but that’s not included in my ‘stock portfolio’.

Does the 80% cash concern you?

Do you think I am overexposed on equities (commodities)? Maybe should have gone 90%:10% ratio? 

What is your % of cash at present? 

(Last time I went all cash was in June 2007 - sold our home (STR’d) after unfeasibke capital gains. Wife wasn’t happy - in August 2007 Northern Rock and then HBOS collapsed. 
A few weeks later I put all our money in the new “government backed” NR at 5.5% and rented for 2 years. Bought a new home for -30% below peak in May 2009.

I’m as lucky as Luke Littler 🤪
 I have a lot to learn about equities. Got my first “4 ISAs” in March 2020 and have been getting up to speed since - massive thank you to @DurhamBorn - it’s been a great journey - OPTIMiSM and tax shelters were the best things I learnt in the first few weeks on this thread. 
cheers 🍻 

80% cash in GBP would concern me, the BK could come in many forms, and putting money in a global index fund hedges against a BK in GBP.

Mandalorian
8 hours ago, snaga said:

80% cash in GBP would concern me, the BK could come in many forms

Including no form at all

• Agree 1

Mandalorian
1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

Excluding pensions and savings account, all I have is a Stocks and Shares ISA.

But what's in it?

My portfolio is shit….but slowly moving from property and a generic Pru Fund to a more robust strategy of equal shares of cash/equities/property/hard assets.

Have been playing the market for the last couple of years but happy just to keep up with inflation. I Like gold….decent hedge as a proportion of wealth. 

Once the global shit show changes I will change strategy more aggressively….and if it doesn’t change in my lifetime I am happy plodding on, keeping up with inflation.

Kids? Absolutely, a boy and a girl (well and man 35 and a woman 38). We were very young parents….like everything, all unplanned😂

I live my dreams with them and they carry my torch. They are me….we invested time heavily in them at a young age and now it pays dividends. They now have their own kids (we have 5 grandkids, now aged 7 to 18). Keeps you young and at only 55 its great being the grumpy old man of the family. 

It’s funny watching the grandkids do something supposedly amazing (eg winning a chess tournament at 7, against 11 years olds…..scoring a goal from a corner, getting A grades at school) and quietly just thinking….yep, I was going that at their age. Feels like completing a circle and makes me feel settled and able to enjoy my new skills….ie sleeping in the day, watching 2 films at once etc. 😂😂

I guess they are nice people and I am not bias….that helps. Imagine having ungrateful greedy shitty kids would do the exact opposite to my well being.  😉

Edited by Pip321
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Pip321 said:

My portfolio is shit

Clearly just the financial one!

Investments have been made and the returns have been good!

Plans are good but character is a better guide!

:Beer:

• Agree 1

Mandalorian
8 hours ago, Pip321 said:

My portfolio is shit….but slowly moving from property and a generic Pru Fund to a more robust strategy of equal shares of cash/equities/property/hard assets.

Have been playing the market for the last couple of years but happy just to keep up with inflation. I Like gold….decent hedge as a proportion of wealth. 

Once the global shit show changes I will change strategy more aggressively….and if it doesn’t change in my lifetime I am happy plodding on, keeping up with inflation.

Kids? Absolutely, a boy and a girl (well and man 35 and a woman 38). We were very young parents….like everything, all unplanned😂

I live my dreams with them and they carry my torch. They are me….we invested time heavily in them at a young age and now it pays dividends. They now have their own kids (we have 5 grandkids, now aged 7 to 18). Keeps you young and at only 55 its great being the grumpy old man of the family. 

It’s funny watching the grandkids do something supposedly amazing (eg winning a chess tournament at 7, against 11 years olds…..scoring a goal from a corner, getting A grades at school) and quietly just thinking….yep, I was going that at their age. Feels like completing a circle and makes me feel settled and able to enjoy my new skills….ie sleeping in the day, watching 2 films at once etc. 😂😂

I guess they are nice people and I am not bias….that helps. Imagine having ungrateful greedy shitty kids would do the exact opposite to my well being.  😉

You paint a nice picture.  I still couldn't be doing with kids though.

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Clearly just the financial one!

Investments have been made and the returns have been good!

Plans are good but character is a better guide!

:Beer:

Most appreciated. Very generous of you to say. 

I think my financial portfolio is shit because it isn’t structured enough or passive enough. It’s nothing like the lists some people have detailed. And it’s too much in property plus cash because rates are relatively high. Once I get it to a truly passive state with an occasional quarterly tweak required I’ll be happier. 

53 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

You paint a nice picture.  I still couldn't be doing with kids though.

If I paint a nice picture and it’s still not for you then absolutely fair enough, I get that…..if we were all the same that would be very boring. There is no right or wrong. Nothing worse than imposing a view when there are lots of paths that work.🍻

I guess one reason it worked for me was not planning them…having kids so young when my energy was limitless and by the time I began to reflect, truly plan and think…my kids had grown and become nice people to be around.

• Agree 1

Anyone invest in any real estate funds? My shit pension scheme wants to transfer me over to some managed fund that is 9% real estate and now zero emerging market equity funds

• Lol 1
  • Vomit 1

HousePriceMania
Just now, AVERAGEUKBLOB said:

Anyone invest in any real estate funds? My shit pension scheme wants to transfer me over to some managed fund that is 9% real estate and now zero emerging market equity funds

Real estate or....commercial real estate ?

image.png.b43f23701006165b91c8bc25b2c3fac5.png~