DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's in your portfolio - and why?

Mandalorian

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:
5 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

I am 55 and have ditched work, sounds like you have a plan, don't wish your life away tho, it don't half go fast and you will be knocking on 55 before you know it.

At about 55 you begin to start to worry about your mortality.  You mope around for a few years and then just say feck it and enjoy every day doing what you like, making money or not.

• Love / Hugz 1
  • Cheers 3

Bobthebuilder
47 minutes ago, Harley said:

feck it and enjoy every day doing what you like, making money or not

My garden hose was full of leaks, so I spent the day repairing an old one with some left over half inch brass fittings, made the old adjustable spray head fit on it, then made a new handle for my gardening trowel.

Don't know where people find the time to go to work, I am always too busy.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 2

AVERAGEUKBLOB
6 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

The GFC?  You mean that little tiny blip between 2004 and 2014?

Of course I would be investing even after the GFC. 

Look.  At.  That.  Graph.  Then compare it to cash.  You have got to stick your money somewhere.

I've never invested lump sums though.

Stick to the plan.  Regular, like clockwork, every month, through thick and thin.

Mid 40s.  No children.  Won't be having any.  Want to ditch work about 55.

how is your life without kids?

do u have a wife?

Mandalorian
3 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

5 brokers is just making your own life needlessly complicated. Investments held by a broker are legally yours not the brokers, the only thing at any real risk is any cash holding. I mean If I had multiple millions + investment I might be tempted to split into 2 just so I'm guaranteed access to to at least half of it in the event one of them was tied up with insolvency proceedings or something.

They are 'beneficially' yours.  Not 'legally'.  The voting rights belong to the broker's nominee company and that name is on the shareholder register.  Not yours.

5 brokers is no more or less complicated than one.  But in the (albeit unlikely) event of broker failure, I'll be happy I didn't have one basket.  Might be a little more expensive, but that's the price of insurance.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

Mandalorian
1 hour ago, AVERAGEUKBLOB said:

how is your life without kids?

do u have a wife?

Peaceful.  Can't imagine anything worse than having children.  The absolute worst sexually transmitted disease.

God no.  Not unless it's a wife with a penis.  And even then I don't want one.

• Lol 2

Jesus Wept
20 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Peaceful.  Can't imagine anything worse than having children.  The absolute worst sexually transmitted disease.

God no.  Not unless it's a wife with a penis.  And even then I don't want one.

You’re actually quite a funny fucker @Mandalorian…..

They got you all wrong on dividends and global trackers and waiting for the market to fall ! 

Keep posting.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

My garden hose was full of leaks, so I spent the day repairing an old one with some left over half inch brass fittings, made the old adjustable spray head fit on it, then made a new handle for my gardening trowel.

Don't know where people find the time to go to work, I am always too busy.

My sentiments exactly.  I have so much to do.  I do the odd job but first do the stuff I need at home to save the money.  Just planted a load more fruit trees, laying a fruit bed (cage to come), have some trees to transplant, and have started on a new allotment which I will enclose with a dry stone wall.  The list is endless.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

Everyone's different but I would recommend having children, if it is at all realistic in your lifestyle.

I never wanted them because I thought they were just a drag on your resources etc. My ex-wife talked me into it and I 'm glad she did. I'm 67 and doing pretty well financially (by my admittedly low standards) but why would I even bother any more if I knew that when I died the government would take it all? NB not saying all I see in my children is financial.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
48 minutes ago, Harley said:

My sentiments exactly.  I have so much to do.  I do the odd job but first do the stuff I need at home to save the money.  Just planted a load more fruit trees, laying a fruit bed (cage to come), have some trees to transplant, and have started on a new allotment which I will enclose with a dry stone wall.  The list is endless.

Fuck me, so far this year I have planted 2 apple trees, 3 kitchen herb bushes and a single marijuana plant, and I thought I was busy.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

Mandalorian
2 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Everyone's different but I would recommend having children, if it is at all realistic in your lifestyle.

I never wanted them because I thought they were just a drag on your resources etc. My ex-wife talked me into it and I 'm glad she did. I'm 67 and doing pretty well financially (by my admittedly low standards) but why would I even bother any more if I knew that when I died the government would take it all? NB not saying all I see in my children is financial.

I don't have the patience or temperament to have children.  It's bad enough having the parents bring them when they visit.  I noticeably wince when a child starts screaming in public.  I just... don't like them, I guess.

As my friend says about her (now 19 year old) child:  "I love my daughter, but I do wish I'd never had her.  It's been hard fucking work."  And she was a low maintenance kid.

Bobthebuilder

I don't have the patience or temperament to have children.  It's bad enough having the parents bring them when they visit.  I noticeably wince when a child starts screaming in public.  I just... don't like them, I guess.

As my friend says about her (now 19 year old) child:  "I love my daughter, but I do wish I'd never had her.  It's been hard fucking work."  And she was a low maintenance kid.

I never had any children, not any I know about as a male, But that is the end of your genes, it has taken thousands of years and the survival of countless generations of your family tree to end up with lucky old you, it wont go any further, that is the end of the line, My biggest regret in life was not having children.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Love / Hugz 7
  • Cheers 2

desertorchid
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I never had any children, not any I know about as a male, But that is the end of your genes, it has taken thousands of years and the survival of countless generations of your family tree to end up with lucky old you, it wont go any further, that is the end of the line, My biggest regret in life was not having children.

Are you married? If so, was there a reason you chose not to?

wherebee
9 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

I'm not a 'put all eggs in one basket and watch the basket' kind of guy

It would just have BATS. VOD and a load of shitty gold miners and dodgy Chinese shares in it.

I feel personally attacked.

• Lol 6
  • Cheers 1

Jesus Wept
12 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I never had any children, not any I know about …. my genes wont go any further, that is the end of the line, My biggest regret in life was not having children.

@Bobthebuilder 

Thats profound buddy. 

How old are you? 

Is being a father still possible? 

Bobthebuilder
16 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

How old are you? 

Is being a father still possible? 

I am closer to 60 than 50, I wouldn't even attempt it at my age.

Jesus Wept
4 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I am closer to 60 than 50, I wouldn't even attempt it at my age.

Apologies if too personal …

Why not?

What else is there?

Whats stopping you if it’s your biggest regret? 

Go do it ! 

2 of my mates have had their first children at 48 and 51 recently. Happy as pigs in shit ! 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Mandalorian
15 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Can't say I'm arsed about continuing the genetic lineage tbh.

• Agree 1

Jesus Wept

I should have posted this here - it was from Thursday 11th of April:

Rejigged the portfolio on Thursday so:

80% cash (@4.4% net)

17% commodity related equities (small (juniors) and large cap miners and oil - BP and SHELL + physical gold and silver etfs GBP.

3% Emerging Markets

Replace the tobacco IMB with more Sibanye Stillwater (I bought the little dip on Friday). 

(I can see all of the above - except the cash - getting hammered in a crash - on margin calls - so only 20% in equities as an insurance - the rest in cash on deposit). 

From the previous Credit Deflation thread. 

IMG_1557.jpeg

Edited by Jesus Wept

Mandalorian
26 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

I should have posted this here - it was from Thursday 11th of April:

Rejigged the portfolio on Thursday so:

80% cash (@4.4% net)

17% commodity related equities (small (juniors) and large cap miners and oil - BP and SHELL + physical gold and silver etfs GBP.

3% Emerging Markets

Replace the tobacco IMB with more Sibanye Stillwater (I bought the little dip on Friday). 

(I can see all of the above - except the cash - getting hammered in a crash - on margin calls - so only 20% in equities as an insurance - the rest in cash on deposit). 

From the previous Credit Deflation thread. 

IMG_1557.jpeg

80% cash...?

Jesus Wept
41 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

80% cash...?

Yep. (Eg see Rolls Royce thread).

Unwound everything last few weeks.

Does not mean I will stay in cash forever .

(I also own a house / home - but that’s not included in my ‘stock portfolio’.

Does the 80% cash concern you?

Do you think I am overexposed on equities (commodities)? Maybe should have gone 90%:10% ratio? 

What is your % of cash at present? 

(Last time I went all cash was in June 2007 - sold our home (STR’d) after unfeasibke capital gains. Wife wasn’t happy - in August 2007 Northern Rock and then HBOS collapsed. 
A few weeks later I put all our money in the new “government backed” NR at 5.5% and rented for 2 years. Bought a new home for -30% below peak in May 2009.

I’m as lucky as Luke Littler 🤪
 I have a lot to learn about equities. Got my first “4 ISAs” in March 2020 and have been getting up to speed since - massive thank you to @DurhamBorn - it’s been a great journey - OPTIMiSM and tax shelters were the best things I learnt in the first few weeks on this thread. 
cheers 🍻 

Edited by Jesus Wept
  • Cheers 1

Mandalorian
On 13/04/2024 at 10:24, Jesus Wept said:

Yep. (Eg see Rolls Royce thread).

Unwound everything last few weeks.

Does not mean I will stay in cash forever .

(I also own a house / home - but that’s not included in my ‘stock portfolio’.

Does the 80% cash concern you?

Do you think I am overexposed on equities (commodities)? Maybe should have gone 90%:10% ratio? 

What is your % of cash at present? 

(Last time I went all cash was in June 2007 - sold our home (STR’d) after unfeasibke capital gains. Wife wasn’t happy - in August 2007 Northern Rock and then HBOS collapsed. 
A few weeks later I put all our money in the new “government backed” NR at 5.5% and rented for 2 years. Bought a new home for -30% below peak in May 2009.

I’m as lucky as Luke Littler 🤪
 I have a lot to learn about equities. Got my first “4 ISAs” in March 2020 and have been getting up to speed since - massive thank you to @DurhamBorn - it’s been a great journey - OPTIMiSM and tax shelters were the best things I learnt in the first few weeks on this thread. 
cheers 🍻 

80% cash would always concern me.

There are no guarantees with investing except that cash will always lose value.  Unless you are parking it to buy something that later falls in value and you get it cheaper (but that's market timing again).

My cash is currently about 25% but that includes Premium Bonds and some inflation linked NS&I bonds that you can't get any more.  Bank deposits are less than 10%.

• Cheers 1

Jesus Wept

Unless you are parking it to buy something that later falls in value and you get it cheaper (but that's market timing again).

IMG_1273.gif.df1174c2c5775901296b3a41c4247f34.gif

• Lol 1

MightyTharg

I’m something of an expert in this.

Most of mine is invested in making little plastic toys space marines etc.

Red Debt Redemption
6 hours ago, MightyTharg said:

I’m something of an expert in this.

Most of mine is invested in making little plastic toys space marines etc.

reformed nice guy
4 hours ago, Red Debt Redemption said:

Stuey would have loved that meme. He would have had the appropriate frog picture to match it.

He showed us his frog picture collection once when we were over looking at his new space marine unit a few weeks ago funnily enough.

The froggy files were sorted in an alphabetical file system with a corresponding spreadsheet that listed attributes for each file. He made a special pivot table so he could filter for "happy" then as many other attributes as required to get the perfect frog. He was very proud of it.

More proof that he was worth his £180,000 salary

• Agree 1