DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

sancho panza
11 hours ago, wherebee said:

i've posted on here before about my RM Williams aussie boots.  I have pairs well over 10 years old, still going stong.  600 bucks new now, but that's 60 bucks a year at most, and they are a joy to wear.  They were the only thing I had on my feet for a two month crisscrossing of a country a few years back, through snow, sun, and dust, and they came out fine.

in shoes, paying for quality is worth it.  

There's a Cheaney's factory shop in Rothwell,Northants.Have to say,shoes is the one thing that it generally pays to get goodquality.

This shop does slight seconds(I can't tell the difference) for under £100 as opposed to £300.Last years.

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/factory-shop-i121

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bricormortis

Things heating up around Ukraine / Crimea with the partial closure of the Black sea's Kerch Strait.

I like to think Biden is withdrawing from Afghanistan because he can't see a benefit to being there, but I have some concern he has been advised the troops may need to redeploy in Ukraine / East Europe.

From Plymouth Herald.......https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/royal-navy-reports-russia-closing-5304504

"Russia has reportedly announced it will close a crucial strait in the Black Sea to foreign warships, including the Royal Navy, for the next six months.

It comes amid growing tensions in the region - with the UK and other G7 nations demanding that Russia 'ends provocations and de-escalates tensions' in Ukraine.

Royal Air Force (RAF) Typhoon jets, armed with Paveway bombs and Brimstone missiles, have already been sent to Romania amid fears President Putin is preparing to invade its neighbour.

Earlier this week, UK defence chiefs confirmed the multirole fighter jets will police the skies around the Black Sea.

And, yesterday, Russia warned America - as two US destroyers headed towards the area - to stay away from the region: “For their own good,” reported The Mirror.

Meanwhile, Reuters reported that the United States had cancelled the deployment of the two warships, according to Turkish diplomatic sources.

Now sources in Ukraine report that the Russian Federation has announced it will close the Kerch Strait, from next week until October 2021, "for warships and state ships of other countries under the pretext of military exercises".....

Says the Ukranians " "This step is a gross violation of the right to freedom of navigation, guaranteed by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea."

20 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Centamin GBP 1.13 16/04/21 3 4 5 5 4 21

I'm looking to deploy the £500 of free money i got off the govt today into goldies for my kids Junior ISA.

Think i'll opt for the above.

48 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I'm looking to redeploy some previous profits taken into the goldies here.But that was pre yesterday.It'll jsut be options exposure but will also allow some leverage as I think the certain goldies have oversold the market.Because we're using options then some companies are off the table due to volatility being priced in eg EGO.

Howver,I'm liking the look of barrick,YamanaB2G,KGC.

I finsihed off the coma scores for the sector on the back of your prompt.Some eye wateringly solid balance sheets and FCF in this sector.Nowehere near as good value as when DB started steering the one eyed basement dwellers like myself towards it in the heady days of 2018 when the commercials went net long in August

dyodd natch

Company Share price Date Chart Inc BS CF Sector SCS
Agnico USD 60.61 23/02/21 1 2 4 2 4 13
Alamos USD 7.55 03/03/21 3 3 5 3 4 18
Anglogold USD 20.89 23/02/21 3 4 3 4 4 18
B2Gold USD 4.55 03/03/21 2 5 5 5 4 21
Barrick USD 18.67 01/03/21 3 3 4 4 4 18
Buenaventura USD 10.65 16/04/21 4 1 4 2 4 15
Centamin GBP 1.13 16/04/21 3 4 5 5 4 21
Centerra CAD11.88 03/03/21 2 5 5 5 4 21
Eldorado USD 11.01 03/03/21 3 3 5 5 4 20
FNV USD 136.52 16/03/21 1 2 5 2 4 14
Freeport USD 37.55 23/02/21 1 2 2 2 4 11
Fresnillo GBP 9.42 03/03/21 3 3 4 3 4 17
Gold fields USD 8.69 23/02/21 2 4 3 3 4 16
Gold resource USD 2.69 01/03/21 4 1 5 3 4 17
Harmony USD 4.05 23/02/21 4 1 3 2 4 14
Hochschild GBP 2.13 01/03/21 4 2 3 4 4 17
IAM gold USD 3.02 01/03/21 3 2 4 2 4 15
Kinross USD 6.73 23/02/21 3 5 4 5 4 21
Kirkland USD 33.24 01/03/21 2 3 5 3 4 17
New gold USD 1.65 01/03/21 4 1 2 1 4 12
Newcrest USD 20.04 23/02/21 3 3 4 3 4 17
Newmont USD 54.52 01/03/21 1 3 4 4 4 16
Oceana CAD 1.78 01/03/21 4 1 4 1 4 14
Osisko Gold Royalty USD 9.80 01/03/21 3 2 4 1 4 14
Pan African GBP 00.184 23/02/21 2 5 3 3 4 17
Pan American USD 32.18 01/03/21 1 3 5 3 4 16
Petropavlosk GBP0.2596 16/03/21 3 2 3 1 4 13
Polymetal GBP 14.57 05/03/21 2 4 3 3 4 16
Royal Gold USD 103.29 01/03/21 1 2 5 2 4 14
Sandstorm USD 6.07 01/03/21 3 2 5 3 4 17
Sibanye USD 18.91 01/03/21 1 2 3 4 4 14
SSR USD 13.87 01/03/21 3 3 4 3 4 17
Wesdome CAD 9.85 16/03/21 2 2 5 1 4 14
Wheaton USD 42.03 16/03/21 1 2 5 5 4 17
Yamana USD 4.015 01/03/21 4 3 3 4 4 18

Perfect timing for me, and i agree that there is nowhere near as much value these days as a year ago.  That said, the standout share for me is Sibanye, it just refuses to stop and I wouldn't be surprised to see it tagging 35-40 a share in the near future.  The much derided Stillwater acquisition doesn't look quite so bad now :D

Still undecided whether to go big miner and safe for my next purchase or little miner and more leveraged.....

sancho panza

Worth a full watch as ever.But from 15 minutes,he begins the 'Road to Serfdom' and it's utterly compelling.

Basement dwellers are familair with the theme of how FUBAR the West is,but this really spells it out for simpeltons like me.

geordie_lurch
25 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Worth a full watch as ever.But from 15 minutes,he begins the 'Road to Serfdom' and it's utterly compelling.

Basement dwellers are familair with the theme of how FUBAR the West is,but this really spells it out for simpeltons like me.

Yep that's the best explanation of what's going on and where we are heading I have seen - linking all the money printing to totalitarianism via the convenient Covid 'pandemic' :/

sancho panza
1 hour ago, Hancock said:

I'm looking to deploy the £500 of free money i got off the govt today into goldies for my kids Junior ISA.

Think i'll opt for the above.

I remember recently someone mentioning some problems they had ,can't remember exactly.Coma scores jsut reflect the finanicals. Which in their case are solid as of the time of their full year resutls.

@Majorpain @kibuc may have a more informed view on the stock

Lightscribe
8 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I remember recently someone mentioning some problems they had ,can't remember exactly.Coma scores jsut reflect the finanicals. Which in their case are solid as of the time of their full year resutls.

I mentioned some time ago on this thread, when I decided to change my monthly allocation into them after they had their biggish fall. It was due to a landslide in one of there mines causing disruption in output. 

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

I listened to his Q&A podcast last night so this does not surprise me.  Defo worth a listen as it's more him talking somewhat off the record.  I don't quite agree with his step one except maybe in the very short term but understand why he said it having listened to him last night - he had to jog to the testing centre to get tested to go to Puerto Rico to interview Schiff because all the uber drivers were sat at home with their cheques!  And Schiff is the one talking about goods and services making an economy, not money.  His story goes on (which is what made the podcast fun) to explain he only stayed in Puerto Rico for 11 hours because the covid rules were so oppressive.  And then goes on to talk about Idaho and a shop in Florida.  All great George stuff!  Love the guy!

Friedman, Road to Serfdom, etc - yep I've been a long term advocate.  The political economy.  We are in the end game of the politicisation of what Keynes said.  Friedman said inflation is a monetary phenomenon and in the long term it is.  Money supply growth exceeding real productive (GDP) growth is inflationary (so far mainly limited to assets because that is where the money has flowed - those assets are not intrinsically worth any more).  Cost push inflation can often be dealt with through the market and with technology and substitution.  Monetary based pull inflation can't.  It needs social and political will (e.g. a special sort of Fed Governor) and that is a rarity.   It initially creates a feel good factor but that soon runs out. 

This is the door to Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Weimar, etc.  They know this is the end game and a new monetary system is needed to prevent this, just like a new Roman Emperor with his new coin.  But, it has to be a global initiative to avoid winners and losers.  In the meantime they will indeed double down with their price controls, distractions, corruption, etc.  China, Russia, etc know this and China at least has apparently not contributed to that global discussion.  Both are accumulating precious metals, running the backbone of the Bitcoin network, etc.  Will they be what the Huns were to the Roman Empire?  Yes totalitarianism (whatever facemask it wears) and limited opportunities to protect yourself.  It was always about the money folks and it always will be!!!!

48 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

They had a major poop moment in October, when it turned out part of their pit wall was unstable and needed immediate attentiont (meaning both stopping production and putting time and money into preventing the whole thing from collapsing). Sukari is their only producing mine, so it was (and still is) quite a big deal. Share price halved and, coincidentally, so did the Q4 production, while costs skyrocketed.

Their lowered 2021 guidance is already priced in, but it strikes me as optimistic if their Q4 performance is anything to go by. They assume that the issue will be resolved in H1 and production in that part of the pit will resume in H2, but unstable open pits can be real money... err, pits, and they have nothing else to fall back on. Risky business to me, and not the kind of risk I'm comfortable with, either. I can deal with poor management because managers can be replaced, but you cannot replace poor geology.

41 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

I mentioned some time ago on this thread, when I decided to change my monthly allocation into them after they had their biggish fall. It was due to a landslide in one of there mines causing disruption in output. 

CEY is a relatively rare PM stock that has actually been in the momentum oversold zone on the monthly.  Most stocks have pulled back towards it and are starting to turn.  But is this a blip to the upside or a real (and somewhat rarer) change in trend?

6 hours ago, Harley said:

Looks like @201p is already on the case and deserves more traction/support:

I like the link in his opening post that the Great Reset might already have happened!  Makes you do a 180 and exercise some mental agility!

The thread deserves more attention and a far larger discussion than just about Bitcoin.  It all works for me and my "burning building" metaphor. 

Maybe our BK is a distraction in the bigger picture or is a key part (milestone) of the bigger picture.  Again, context is everything as prepping for the BK might look a bit different.

We are in danger of thinking walking with a red flag in front of this threatening new horseless carriage will be sufficient.

Harley, i respect @201p a lot and will certainly read the thread post that you reference.

I think you raise a valuable discussion point regarding accumulating 'stores of value' to prepare/hedge for coming economic reflation/and or escape (or at least attempt to remain outside?) future government controls... please correct my summation if wrong.

I think such discussions about 'store of value' should be had on this thread. After all, @DurhamBorn says his own central investment aim is to maintain his wealth, and to outrun inflation. 

A timely reminder perhaps that the 'store of value' concept is central to this thread. A core investment thesis of the thread is orientating toward equities such as energy and telecoms, and rare assets such as gold/silver, to maintain value/out run inflation. These ideas are discussed frequently and i have learned a great deal from the expert knowledgeable posters here. 

Other future-value type assets are also discussed from time to time. Land/forests, property, collectables (from classic cars to unopened boxes of Leggo), crypto. I think these discussions add a lot to the thread, in terms of alternative ideas for 'stores of value', and would like to see these type of discussions happen more. I'm sure, that for some, buying cigarette companies is controversial, but personally have never heard complaints on here about buying those stocks. My point being that no ideas should be embargoed... Not saying this happens, just that all ideas are valid in these difficult times.

In terms of suggestions, i only have generic thoughts - however, thinking a 'sweet spot' for me is to aim to remain below personal tax thresholds, for example stay below capitol gains taxes, etc (this is borrowed from DB who favors not paying into tax system as far as is legally possible). So maybe do some options trading where profits are taxed as capitol gain, not income. Involves additional risk and requires skill, but worth considering if no tax to pay. Also, i think decent yielding property investments will maintain their values (despite wider market suffering), so i am thinking more about the property sector (i have previously considered storage/even caravan storage, however this requires large investment in cash and time). Letting property in general now comes with more regulations/higher taxes, so for me would only be worth doing if profits were high enough to engage a letting agent to achieve 'passive income'. Ok, you can perhaps tell my aim is to only work part-time, but i think that's fair enough because personally believe approx. half employment will be p/t by end of decade. Another potential 'store of value' is the crypto sector, and @Lightscribeand others here already comment on the subject in intelligent and engaging way (btw, never too late to buy some!).

As the thread has been running for a few years now, have others here developed their own ideas for accumulating 'stores of value' which they might like to share? Could be just other alternatives to our favored energy/telecoms/PM's? Or could be a novel idea for p/t income (i think developing a secondary income is a form of 'store of value')? Or maybe something more radical? Btw, also welcome opposing or critical views, after all, i am/we are all hear to learn, in order that we might hopefully emerge unscathed (survive?) the looming great reset/'fourth turning'!!

NB. Some may have noticed I didn't reference pizza ovens, supermarket reduced items, running old diesel bangers until well after expiry (i jest of course; there is of course no such time limit!). These and other consummate contrarian-consumer concepts are regularly aired here, and to be clear - all are valuable additions to the debate... however, i didn't want to get too controversial!!

Lightscribe
43 minutes ago, Harley said:

CEY is a relatively rare PM stock that has actually been in the momentum oversold zone on the monthly.  Most stocks have pulled back towards it and are starting to turn.  But is this a blip to the upside or a real (and somewhat rarer) change in trend?

Yup, is it me or has the search function only showing limited results? I can’t find it now, but I was averaging into HOC and CEY in 2019-20 which I rotated between one another as they were both mid-sized miners and seemed to rise in turn as investors (on LSE anyway) flipped between them. I got lucky as CEY dipped because of crumbling mine walls reducing output I seem to remember.

Then the pullback in PMs and miners came so CEY got hit twice, so that’s when I started averaging back in, which I remember mentioning on here. If I was only organised like some others on here and kept spreadsheets. I’m definitely a finger in the air kind of person. :)

28 minutes ago, JMD said:

Harley, i respect @201p a lot and will certainly read the thread post that you reference.

I think you raise a valuable discussion point regarding accumulating 'stores of value' to prepare/hedge for coming economic reflation/and or escape (or at least attempt to remain outside?) future government controls... please correct my summation if wrong.

I think such discussions about 'store of value' should be had on this thread. After all, @DurhamBorn says his own central investment aim is to maintain his wealth, and to outrun inflation. 

A timely reminder perhaps that the 'store of value' concept is central to this thread. A core investment thesis of the thread is orientating toward equities such as energy and telecoms, and rare assets such as gold/silver, to maintain value/out run inflation. These ideas are discussed frequently and i have learned a great deal from the expert knowledgeable posters here. 

Other future-value type assets are also discussed from time to time. Land/forests, property, collectables (from classic cars to unopened boxes of Leggo), crypto. I think these discussions add a lot to the thread, in terms of alternative ideas for 'stores of value', and would like to see these type of discussions happen more. I'm sure, that for some, buying cigarette companies is controversial, but personally have never heard complaints on here about buying those stocks. My point being that no ideas should be embargoed... Not saying this happens, just that all ideas are valid in these difficult times.

In terms of suggestions, i only have generic thoughts - however, thinking a 'sweet spot' for me is to aim to remain below personal tax thresholds, for example stay below capitol gains taxes, etc (this is borrowed from DB who favors not paying into tax system as far as is legally possible). So maybe do some options trading where profits are taxed as capitol gain, not income. Involves additional risk and requires skill, but worth considering if no tax to pay. Also, i think decent yielding property investments will maintain their values (despite wider market suffering), so i am thinking more about the property sector (i have previously considered storage/even caravan storage, however this requires large investment in cash and time). Letting property in general now comes with more regulations/higher taxes, so for me would only be worth doing if profits were high enough to engage a letting agent to achieve 'passive income'. Ok, you can perhaps tell my aim is to only work part-time, but i think that's fair enough because personally believe approx. half employment will be p/t by end of decade. Another potential 'store of value' is the crypto sector, and @Lightscribeand others here already comment on the subject in intelligent and engaging way (btw, never too late to buy some!).

As the thread has been running for a few years now, have others here developed their own ideas for accumulating 'stores of value' which they might like to share? Could be just other alternatives to our favored energy/telecoms/PM's? Or could be a novel idea for p/t income (i think developing a secondary income is a form of 'store of value')? Or maybe something more radical? Btw, also welcome opposing or critical views, after all, i am/we are all hear to learn, in order that we might hopefully emerge unscathed (survive?) the looming great reset/'fourth turning'!!

NB. Some may have noticed I didn't reference pizza ovens, supermarket reduced items, running old diesel bangers until well after expiry (i jest of course; there is of course no such time limit!). These and other consummate contrarian-consumer concepts are regularly aired here, and to be clear - all are valuable additions to the debate... however, i didn't want to get too controversial!!

Sounds good.  What worries me about this thread is we talk about making money but only keeping it in terms of the current failing system (e.g. inflation).  We are trying to play (with good intent) the very thing that contains the seeds of our destruction.  But we must do this, we must push on as best we can.  But then this thread cannot take on all the problems of the world.  Life is a never-ending series of hurdles.  How many do we wish to cover here?  To me, I can't help thinking the current "all quiet on the financial front" is because the Treasury and co are busily tunneling under us with an almost imminent mother of all shock and awe where a crater will replace our life savings once the dust has settled!  We need to start preparing for that now as well as deal with the immediate task in hand.  It's a tough gig.

18 minutes ago, Harley said:

Sounds good.  What worries me about this thread is we talk about making money but only keeping it in terms of the current failing system (e.g. inflation).  We are trying to play (with good intent) the very thing that contains the seeds of our destruction.  But we must do this, we must push on as best we can.  But then this thread cannot take on all the problems of the world.  Life is a never-ending series of hurdles.  How many do we wish to cover here?  To me, I can't help thinking the current "all quiet on the financial front" is because the Treasury and co are busily tunneling under us with an almost imminent mother of all shock and awe where a crater will replace our life savings once the dust has settled!  We need to start preparing for that now as well as deal with the immediate task in hand.  It's a tough gig.

Luckily for us there are so many problems the markets also can't take them all on at once.

You have answered your own question, look that them as a series of hurdles.

Each individual problem [hurdle] will come at the markets one at a time and affect the market in a predictable way.

All we need to do is predict the next 5 hurdles in exact order, we can then jump the hurdles [reposition our portfolios] in plenty of time to profit from each problem.

The above method when followed properly will result in 1,000% returns per year. :D

Bobthebuilder
23 minutes ago, Harley said:

To me, I can't help thinking the current "all quiet on the financial front" is because the Treasury and co are busily tunneling under us with an almost imminent mother of all shock and awe where a crater will replace our life savings once the dust has settled!  We need to start preparing for that now as well as deal with the immediate task in hand.  It's a tough gig.

Hawthorn Ridge July 1st 1916. Didn't work the first time so, they did it twice.

Good way of describing it I think, I am at a complete loss to guess how this shit show will unravel. They are such a devious bunch of crooks with smoke and mirrors, I don't think we stand much of a chance in the morning sergeant.

Lightscribe
48 minutes ago, Harley said:

Yup, because of the vastness of what this topic covers, everyone tends to cumulate around here (like standing in the kitchen at house parties and bbqs :)) It’s a victim of its own success.

Obviously the major upside of this is that a range of people from all backgrounds and specialisms brings a bit of knowledge to the table. This helps everyone decide on their own individual financial strategy (DYOR) to suit each personal circumstance and prepare for whatever life throws at us.

The downside is that information can get lost amongst all the buzz and that we’d have to rename the thread Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come * plus dustbin raiding, yellow sticker reduced shopping, pizza making, spare part hoarding, below spot physical silver buying, rare lego set selling, crypto investing and general preparing for the apocalypse mega thread. ;)

JimmyTheBruce
7 hours ago, JimmyTheBruce said:

Got the below through yesterday regarding the Shell AGM.  I do hope it's all just marketing bullshit, but I'll be voting against it anyway.

BOARD REQUESTS SUPPORT FOR ENERGY SECTOR’S FIRST SHAREHOLDER ADVISORY VOTE ON AN ENERGY TRANSITION STRATEGY
Today also marks the publication of Shell’s Energy Transition Strategy, which has been published for submission to a shareholder advisory vote at the 2021 AGM. The document is published simultaneously with the Notice of Meeting and shall be deemed to be incorporated in, and form part of, the Notice of Meeting.

The publication of Shell’s Energy Transition Strategy follows detailed conversations with shareholders and describes Shell’s energy transition strategy as we work towards becoming a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050, in step with society’s progress towards the goal of the UN Paris Agreement on climate change, including our emissions targets. The report aims to help investors and wider society gain a better understanding of how we are addressing the risks and opportunities of the energy transition.

We are the first energy company to submit our energy transition strategy to shareholders for an advisory vote and will be publishing an update every three years until 2050. Every year, starting in 2022, we will also seek an advisory vote on our progress towards our plans and targets. The vote is purely advisory and will not be binding on shareholders.

The Shell Energy Transition Strategy is available at www.shell.com/agm.

Poor form to quote myself I know, but just went to cast my utterly futile vote (aren't they all) and it seems there indeed are political games going on at Shell.

It appears that Shell’s "transition plan" may well, at least in part, be a response to a shareholder resolution filed by a group called Follow This, demanding that they take swifter action on carbon intensity. So there were 2 votes, one to approve the transition plan, backed by the board, and the other to approve the Follow This resolution, which the board advised against.

I voted against both 🤪

Yadda yadda yadda
18 hours ago, Ashby said:

Email I received today from an online shoe seller; more evidence of inflation (I suppose rather than just greed).  This time expensive Northampton shoes.

Church Brand Repositioning

We have just been informed that Church Shoes Ltd have decided to increase their prices to reposition their brand at a higher price point. As a simple example, in the UK the price of Consul, a black calf, toe-cap Oxford will increase from the current price of £495 to £720.

To say we were shocked to see this announcement on Monday would be an understatement. We have worked closely with the brand for decades and had no prior warning that this was happening so we are genuinely struggling to understand the thinking behind this strategy and the implications this will have for us as a retailer of the brand going forward.

Demand for posh business shoes must be through the floor. Only the "elite" are going anywhere that requires very smart shoes. You don't wear Church's to the beer garden.

Slipper manufacturers might be doing well. Also builders boots and gardening shoes. Walking boots and wellies. I haven't bought a new pair of shoes of any type for a couple of years. I did splash out on some laces though.

1 hour ago, planit said:

All we need to do is predict the next 5 hurdles in exact order, we can then jump the hurdles [reposition our portfolios] in plenty of time to profit from each problem.

And we need character. That same character that gives a wry smile when reaching the top of the hill only to find another one awaits.  It's never about the money, never will be!  :)

Yadda yadda yadda
4 hours ago, Bricormortis said:

Things heating up around Ukraine / Crimea with the partial closure of the Black sea's Kerch Strait.

I like to think Biden is withdrawing from Afghanistan because he can't see a benefit to being there, but I have some concern he has been advised the troops may need to redeploy in Ukraine / East Europe.

From Plymouth Herald.......https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/royal-navy-reports-russia-closing-5304504

"Russia has reportedly announced it will close a crucial strait in the Black Sea to foreign warships, including the Royal Navy, for the next six months.

It comes amid growing tensions in the region - with the UK and other G7 nations demanding that Russia 'ends provocations and de-escalates tensions' in Ukraine.

Royal Air Force (RAF) Typhoon jets, armed with Paveway bombs and Brimstone missiles, have already been sent to Romania amid fears President Putin is preparing to invade its neighbour.

Earlier this week, UK defence chiefs confirmed the multirole fighter jets will police the skies around the Black Sea.

And, yesterday, Russia warned America - as two US destroyers headed towards the area - to stay away from the region: “For their own good,” reported The Mirror.

Meanwhile, Reuters reported that the United States had cancelled the deployment of the two warships, according to Turkish diplomatic sources.

Now sources in Ukraine report that the Russian Federation has announced it will close the Kerch Strait, from next week until October 2021, "for warships and state ships of other countries under the pretext of military exercises".....

Says the Ukranians " "This step is a gross violation of the right to freedom of navigation, guaranteed by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea."

We really have no business sailing through the Kerch strait into the Sea of Azov. Apart from anything else we would be sitting ducks. Imagine southern Ireland swept east to meet south west Wales with a land bridge. Then Russia decided to sail into the Irish Sea between Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Bricormortis
5 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

We really have no business sailing through the Kerch strait into the Sea of Azov. Apart from anything else we would be sitting ducks. Imagine southern Ireland swept east to meet south west Wales with a land bridge. Then Russia decided to sail into the Irish Sea between Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Oh I agree... Just pointing out that things are ratcheting up and most people dont realise..Prior to reading this I didn't know we had sent the RAF to stand by in Romania for instance.

Archived