DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

27 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Yes, like most of the rest of the world! Dont inset it and if you can flue out the back leaving the whole top for cooking.
By cooking mean one pot stuff or just simply boiling water for washing etc.
Stayed in a hut in south america in the middle of their summer, had the stove on all night heating water and herbs to keep the insects out!

Depending where you are etc etc but just got a tipper full of hardwood delivered for around 120 I think, just dumped on the driveway and Ive wheelbarrowed it to the back to an impromptu log store. The crates or builders bags are handy if you have a garage you dont use. Read the new legislation here (and down south) thats incoming soon about logs etc and they have backtracked on the selling seasoned/kiln dried (theres an environmental disaster right there!) logs to allow customers to buy green and season themselves.
Get a supply now and stack well (or in a garage) and they will be nearly seasoned by the time you need them. If all else fails you have enough for a lot of log fires in the garden next summer!

If you want to go full prepper get some old pots pans/army mess tins (was going to say cast iron but looks mostly sold out across the uk) and do some outdoor cooking on a fire. If you have kids it great to get them doing bread, baked spuds, apple/fruit crumble! Cook tins of ravoli/beans+sausages/meatballs etc on the fire in the tin, but make sure you open the lid first. Great craic, been doing it for years with all the nieces nephews etc.
Or just use the bbq - diy stores selling off charcoal cheap at the minute, great if you have room to store  it. If you have bottled gas bbq check out facebook marketplace/gumtree for old used bottles (DB mentioned this earlier)

Thats a great tip about the flue out the back there BC.

Mrs P will go spare as she's jsut spent weeks carving some space in the garage but needs must.

how long does it take to dry logs? I suppose quicker in summer.

I have loads of old army kit.I have a couple of mates still in and have a regular stash of rations that could probably last a couple of weeks at a push and some tins.I don't think its' going to be tins this time round but CP's post means I'll have astove by the next weekend.

Any idea how many KW you'd advise for a 3 or 4 bed?

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

I have clear memories of my dad getting up at 5am and lighting the fire before he left for work so the back boiler took the edge off the house (jack frost on bedroom windows) plus toast on toasting fork for breakfast. 

Aye an' you were lucky to 'av fork

4 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

how long does it take to dry logs?

they take YEARS to dry but depends on the wood....am on about hardwood, u don't wanna be burning softwood unless you're a boy scout...

the kw depends on yer house and the insulation, I remember having one in a newish bungalow, well insulated, smallish stove, made by some geezer in Yorkshire and it was bloody awesome! I'm sure it was only about 4kw.....

the 12kw monster I have now seems poo in comparison, which reminds me, you need those fan things on the top to get the air circulating better.....

5 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Not sure on logs but don't see why it wouldn't be the same as for sawn timber people would say on average air drying is about a year per inch in thickness 

23 minutes ago, Harley said:

Nice to know it's all the fault of that bad man rather than our own folks' ability to feck things up, in this one area at least.......

"Russia’s Vladimir Putin is orchestrating a deliberate energy supply crisis in Europe by restricting the seasonal flows of pipeline gas, preventing the region rebuilding its severely depleted inventories fast enough before the onset of winter...."

A bit much when your only plan is to blame the "bad" man for being bad!

Add NI, etc and we do seem to have reached an age if "exponential incompetence"!

PS:  What commercial organisation would sign off on a £12bn "investment" (cough) without a detailed business case and financial plan (including timelines, KPIs, etc)?

If the "bad man" done all his interviews in English, and they were broadcast on British/American TV, the "bad man" would be adored by western plebs and the masses would be voting for one just like him. (as opposed to the imposter "bad men" like Trump and Johnson".

@sancho panzayou can buy kiln dried (< 20% moisture so good to burn straight away). I'll get 2m3 delivered next week for £295 (Yorkshire). That will do us for ages, with a few bags of smoke free zone coal. Tbf if I can make space I'll get another load in ahead of the dark winter...

Edited to add this will be silver birch. Burns quick and hot. Nice to start a fire with. Smells nice too.

1 hour ago, HousePriceMania said:

I was just going to say...the tiniest of tapers and suddenly everything is down 1%.

Imagine if they'd stopped and raise IRs

These people are playing with fire and we're all covered in petrol.

But wait for the bailout then see the markets sky rocket.

Though we live in hope that China is more capitalist then the west and either doesn't intervene, or intervenes far less than we would.

4 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

The thing to remember with the tax increases etc are that they wont solve anything and just give more fuel to an inflation feedback loop.

Remember as well,we have always said this will be a distribution cycle.That means people selling down assets and savings just to try to standstill on consumption.The dis-inflation is reversing.

One way to play this is to own income producing assets in better positioned areas like Asia.Lots of value in China in sectors that do well from lower to middle income growth.Trusts are the way in to spread risk.

Outside of trading we need to try to capture the inflation and hopefully leverage it in some areas.

Inflation is going to be much more broad based than people think.The government is enemy no1 now to anyone working or with saved labour and its not just about returns.Getting positioned to  avoid as much of their theft as you can is critical.

Its fired me up and im now removing my whole family from income tax through SIPPs etc.Im also looking with my dad at some property with more land where we can live together and cut the council tax down.Iv cut mine this week by 25% as my partner now lives with my dauaghter and son in law on paper xD ,im also seeing an old mate at the weekend and il be running my old Pug on cherry diesel.

DB, very good luck with the new property you mention. Imho multi-generational living is a beautiful thing, and any government that doesn't actively encourage it is evil. May sound bit? harsh - but so many of our social/economic problems could be alleviated/solved by doing this... However such change requires hard leadership, unfortunately our soy-boy politicians don't have it in em!!

Bobthebuilder
28 minutes ago, Heart&#x27;s Ease said:

You and I are on the same wavelength. Got a couple of ecosy+ 5kw installed. Really pleased with how efficient they are compared to previous ones which were probably 15 years old by the time we replaced them. Smaller stove is multifuel to keep us ticking over, overnight. Stove in our hut (under construction) will be used for cooking during the work day too.

Ekol apple range and Salamander both have ovens in their range. 

Ekol is the eye candy one (!).

I have clear memories of my dad getting up at 5am and lighting the fire before he left for work so the back boiler took the edge off the house (jack frost on bedroom windows) plus toast on toasting fork for breakfast.  No gas to his property until early 1990s so we relied on that open fire for all our heating - like many on here!

download.jpeg

They are stunning. Love the little built in oven, perfect for a lasagne or one of DBs chicken pies.

Going to look into one of those cheers, hearts ease.

I have a sea of red in the Scottish one, tempting to get some more, what with you lot piling in........

11 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I have a sea of red in the Scottish one, tempting to get some more, what with you lot piling in........

gone up since I bought! word is getting out.......le mad cont eeee wonts a POMP EEET

1 hour ago, belfastchild said:

Yes, like most of the rest of the world! Dont inset it and if you can flue out the back leaving the whole top for cooking.
By cooking mean one pot stuff or just simply boiling water for washing etc.
Stayed in a hut in south america in the middle of their summer, had the stove on all night heating water and herbs to keep the insects out!

Depending where you are etc etc but just got a tipper full of hardwood delivered for around 120 I think, just dumped on the driveway and Ive wheelbarrowed it to the back to an impromptu log store. The crates or builders bags are handy if you have a garage you dont use. Read the new legislation here (and down south) thats incoming soon about logs etc and they have backtracked on the selling seasoned/kiln dried (theres an environmental disaster right there!) logs to allow customers to buy green and season themselves.
Get a supply now and stack well (or in a garage) and they will be nearly seasoned by the time you need them. If all else fails you have enough for a lot of log fires in the garden next summer!

If you want to go full prepper get some old pots pans/army mess tins (was going to say cast iron but looks mostly sold out across the uk) and do some outdoor cooking on a fire. If you have kids it great to get them doing bread, baked spuds, apple/fruit crumble! Cook tins of ravoli/beans+sausages/meatballs etc on the fire in the tin, but make sure you open the lid first. Great craic, been doing it for years with all the nieces nephews etc.
Or just use the bbq - diy stores selling off charcoal cheap at the minute, great if you have room to store  it. If you have bottled gas bbq check out facebook marketplace/gumtree for old used bottles (DB mentioned this earlier)

Some dodgy bloke in Durham used to sell tatty Chinese fire pits.  May be worth a try?

31 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Dunno about the kw bit, thats what coal is for ;-) I just use the old coal glass fronted fire if needs be. If it gets to the stage where we would need it badly, its all sleep in the living room time or get a fan hitched up to the solar batteries to blow the heat round.
I didnt find the little stove top fans to be of any use but it might depend on your room/circulation etc.

The seasoning is pretty much as it says, couple of seasons (6 months or so) for softwood, at least 4 seasons for hardwood. Although you can buy pre seasoned hardwood which has been sitting in a shed for 3/6 months to get you a start.
If the wood has a darker, greyer, less pure new wood look its on its way to being fully seasoned, if the logs have big cracks or splits in them not made mechanically then its good to go usually.
Seasoned is usually less than 20% moisture and its more air flow and relative humidity than temperature.
If you have pre seasoned or green wood then you can get an axe and split it up into smaller chunks (inch thick or so) as mentioned. They will burn quicker to get the fire started and the less seasoned stuff wont burn as hot and give off more smoke but it will at least get you going. I usually keep a ton or two at least a year here and rotate another ton of each bought pre seasoned each year. I did get some felled green wood two years ago and piled it up and have only just split that in the last week so it will probably be ok too.
Love the look of those stoves posted above but I'll do with the old 1990s parkray painted in the meantime ;-)

11 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

They are stunning. Love the little built in oven, perfect for a lasagne or one of DBs chicken pies.

Going to look into one of those cheers, hearts ease.

Iv been buying it heavy,more today.It can easily serve us more pain,but all the structural headwinds are now turning to tailwinds.Lets see,but a treble could be on the cards,or at least a double,some big buys come for if from the French countryside as well from real face.

46 minutes ago, Heart&#x27;s Ease said:

You and I are on the same wavelength. Got a couple of ecosy+ 5kw installed. Really pleased with how efficient they are compared to previous ones which were probably 15 years old by the time we replaced them. Smaller stove is multifuel to keep us ticking over, overnight. Stove in our hut (under construction) will be used for cooking during the work day too.

Ekol apple range and Salamander both have ovens in their range. 

Ekol is the eye candy one (!).

I have clear memories of my dad getting up at 5am and lighting the fire before he left for work so the back boiler took the edge off the house (jack frost on bedroom windows) plus toast on toasting fork for breakfast.  No gas to his property until early 1990s so we relied on that open fire for all our heating - like many on here!

download.jpeg

Agreed.  The ones for outside the fireplace are more sexy and perform better.  The fireplace limits the size too as you have min spacing regs.

1 minute ago, Harley said:

Some dodgy bloke in Durham used to sell tatty Chinese fire pits.  May be worth a try?

Ive had an old cast iron chiminea for about 20 years now, every 2-3 years give it a sand down and spray with high temperature paint. See them for sale on fb etc when they get rusty and people cant be arsed with the effort (or just leave them rusty!)

I have to say though I made a burner with an old washing machine drum about 5 years ago and its the best outdoor burner Ive ever had! Even bought a new bbq metal grill in the sales a couple of years ago and use that the odd time as well.

4 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

I made a burner with an old washing machine drum

I'm up for a bit of that! is it on legs? cheers

2 hours ago, Transistor Man said:

It's a brand new reactor, if the reformed CEGB ordered 15 now. They'd be 10 years away. 

Unless you went at it like a wartime effort. Which is what should happen. 

I think a 'war economy' is exactly what we will get. It would definetily suit tptb... but with the right teams, throwing huge money into the pot, working 24/7, etc, do you think we build the nuclear infrastructure within say 5 years?                                                                                                                                                                                                I was watching 'A house through time' the other night, it's bit woke like most BBC programs. But one of the resident families of the featured house were a local engineering family from the late 1800s. Anyway the Leeds railway terminus burnt down in 1880s and the city urgently needed to reopen its railway supply routes. The local engineering company built a temporary wooden railway bridge in six days!!! And they tested it by running trains over it at higher and higher speeds!!! ...Not saying we should adopt the exact same approach for our future nuclear plants, but I do think with the right engineers and management this country could achieve 'the impossible'.

9 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

to get the fire started

thin willow branches are ace for that too! ie ones you can snap easily without doing your knees in.....

Just now, nirvana said:

I'm up for a bit of that! is it on legs? cheers

Yeah! Have made a couple for friends.
One it was easy to use the pulley that comes with it, just reverse it when you take it off and weld it to the bottom of the drum, but the rest have been Aluminium pulleys so a pita. I had legs from old metal computer desk I used as the base of one and the rest Ive just used some spare metal piping (old plastic greenhouse frame/cheap screw together metal bed type tubes) with screws and bolts through the side of the drum to make legs.
Burn any aul crap in it, keep the chiminea for real wood and use the ash as fertiliser in the garden!

geordie_lurch

Wow - "According to the European Commission, such a register is necessary to prevent tax evasion and money laundering. It provides the authorities with more information to map out money flows". I bet it will work nicely with the Vaccine Passport / Digital IDs :ph34r:

The original Dutch article is here to put through Google translate

6 minutes ago, geordie_lurch said:

Wow - "According to the European Commission, such a register is necessary to prevent tax evasion and money laundering. It provides the authorities with more information to map out money flows". I bet it will work nicely with the Vaccine Passport / Digital IDs :ph34r:

The original Dutch article is here to put through Google translate

It's lucky didn't spend 40 years closely tied to the communists.

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Just a skim read was enough for me to look at a log burner and building a log stash.

Anyone any advice?Are there any you can put a pan on in extreme cases?

I can get a few crates of logs for £150 each.

genuinely,I've read some depressing posts in this dimly lit basement but that's one of the msot honest,bleakest assessments of where we actually are rather than where the govt would want us to be in terms of windmills.Breath taking how much they've stuffed down the gills of Fred Goodwin and RBS with zero return and how little they've looked after the basics.

Last two weeks and all of a sudden I feel there might come a time when we can stop calling it the scottish play.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind SP? And maybe bit ott for the living room... but must admit it would be a great conversation piece!!                                                                                                                 image.png.60afa22b977a73ae66dd0b6868e970f9.png                                                

1 minute ago, JMD said:

Not sure if this is what you had in mind SP? And maybe bit ott for the living room... but must admit it would be a great conversation piece!!   (but more seriously, if you Google wood burner with hot plate, you get lots of info)                                                                                                             image.png.60afa22b977a73ae66dd0b6868e970f9.png                                                

Archived