DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 2)

spunko

3 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Plus the Scottish play looks primes for a big run up :ph34r:

Funny, I noticed the same!  Things really are 50:50 atm on a number of value stocks.  Another monthly candle completes this weekend so a time to review.  All quite exciting.  I watched a bit of Cramer tonight about GME and he just said hallelujah, a stock pickers market!

PS:. To add, my main concern with the Scottish play was whether this was more a sign of a late stage bull run.

• Replies 35.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AWW said:

They should try to break COMEX. I think it's eminently do-able.

Just buy up silver contracts with the same expiry and stand for delivery.

Didn't they change the contracts a while back to potential cash settlement?

2 hours ago, planit said:

BTW I enjoyed this fun week, hedge funds getting over-confident deserve to go to the wall so the wider market can reappraise risk efficiently (it was a good kick up the arse).

It's given those reading up on it a good look under the covers to prep for, as I used to bang on about!  We've been warned!  WSB today, whatever tomorrow, the systemic risks are the same and pretty much any inconceivable thing could happen at such a turning.

7 minutes ago, Harley said:

Didn't they change the contracts a while back to potential cash settlement?

I remember hearing about it, that's my understanding too

30 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Robinhood has restricted AG, and SLV to only a single share per person.  I'm livid about it.  It cuts right into the idea of a fair market.
Declaration:  Been holding AG, and waiting for things to start moving as Biden admin starts talking electric cars and solar panels.  It happens, silver moves, and these jerks manipulate the market to reduce demand.  WTF!

https://investorplace.com/2021/01/robinhood-bans-reddit-stocks-wallstreetbets-gme-cciv-sndl-jagx-amc-nok-bb/

I hate being right about shit stuff.

1 hour ago, AWW said:

They should try to break COMEX. I think it's eminently do-able.

Just buy up silver contracts with the same expiry and stand for delivery.

Comex, naked shorting PM miners, etc, these guys are the top long standing predators.  Only hope is they've become flabby or found god.

32 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Robinhood has restricted AG, and SLV to only a single share per person.  I'm livid about it.  It cuts right into the idea of a fair market.
Declaration:  Been holding AG, and waiting for things to start moving as Biden admin starts talking electric cars and solar panels.  It happens, silver moves, and these jerks manipulate the market to reduce demand.  WTF!

https://investorplace.com/2021/01/robinhood-bans-reddit-stocks-wallstreetbets-gme-cciv-sndl-jagx-amc-nok-bb/

Don't get hitting SLV, an ETF, as a strategy.  Too broad a play and plenty to break within the ETF first before hitting the wider market.  The ETF is a bit like a fire break.

2 hours ago, Errol said:

First Majestic is the next target for WallStreetbets. They are discussing it in a variety of places.

Lets hope so i've £1300 worth of them, just need them to go up 100 times their current value and i can retire a little earlier.

Just now, planit said:

What is "The Scottish Play"?

Sometimes you buy a share and it falls a bit.

Oh well, you think, the fundamentals are sound, it will rally, I'll hold for now.

Then it falls a bit more - you're amazed! How can the market be looking the wrong way on this share? You top up and double your position. It's good to be a contrarian, and anyway, the divis will help offset any losses.

But then it falls some more...

And some more...

Until you can't even call it by its name anymore because you're down 80% and you missed your chance to sell...

TL:DR, it's Centrica

BP ADR down to 22.25 close of play NY.  That's down 50cents from my sale on Thursday morning.

I'll go back in if it hits 20.  I still assess DB'd guidance for the long term as right on the money.

Every one of my holdings is in the red for the day except for some small silver miners.

2021 is shaping up to be incredibly volatile.  If the GME short squeeze continues, or another target runs out, I think the fear in the market and the forced selling to cover positions will snowball.

1 hour ago, wherebee said:

2021 is shaping up to be incredibly volatile.  If the GME short squeeze continues, or another target runs out, I think the fear in the market and the forced selling to cover positions will snowball.

SVM's latest musings suggest watching GDX, if it falls here its a proxy for short liquidity, so if GME really starts to suck in broader market it's going to push bonds way higher before they collapse...

Bricks & Mortar
57 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

SVM's latest musings suggest watching GDX, if it falls here its a proxy for short liquidity, so if GME really starts to suck in broader market it's going to push bonds way higher before they collapse...

I disagree strongly.  GME, (for the Redditors), was basically shut down yesterday, in collusion with the hedgies, while the price went from around $480, down to $113.  The hedgies are professionals, they could keep trading on their own platforms.  Surely they put more shorts on at $480, and covered their low price shorts at, or close to, $113.  They'd be pretty shit hedgies if they didn't.

But, I do think there's a risk of a market crash.  And I think its being set up to blame the Redditors, just like an open door and an invite inside from the cops at the Capitol a few weeks back.  Joe Biden has been elected on a "build back better" slogan.  This is the Party of Davos slogan.  I think think he, or rather, the Party of Davos, are wanting a global collapse, so they can get on with it.  From the Biden admin's perspective, the sooner this happens the better, as they can shuck off more blame to the Trump admin the closer it is to that time.  And also, the sooner it is, the more of their term they have left for the voters to forget.

For me, the SEC, President, Treasury Secretary, should have come out to condemn the market manipulation of Robin Hood, Citadel, Melvin Capital and the other brokerages who followed suit.  USA is the home of the free market, and they just bent it to all hell, in my opinion.  That they didn't, even though I wasn't playing, rang all kinds of alarm bells.  When it transpired they were doubling down, and manipulating AG today, (I didn't find out until after market close), I decided to pull a large chunk from NYSE on Monday, and bring it home, probably to cash.

EDIT TO ADD - I didn't explain this well enough.  The liquidity issue, is Redditors and other investors pulling their cash from the market as it's revealed to be rigged, and the administration reveal themselves to quite like it that way.  Did you check the bitcoin price today?  That was Redditors saying, "fuck this for a game of soldiers."

Ej6K8SKWAAAi987.jpg

1 hour ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Surely they put more shorts on at $480, and covered their low price shorts at, or close to, $113.  They'd be pretty shit hedgies if they didn't.

Who were the counterparties to these trades, then? Serious question :) .

On 24/01/2021 at 21:53, Loki said:

Daft how they've gone all in on electric with LPG infrastructure already being available and LPG plentiful.  I know the valves need flashlube etc but compared to the work needed to build a load of electric cars and associated chargers, and the electrical infrastructure for those...

Edit: Wonder if the hydrogen blend could work just as well in ICE as boilers.  Not qualified to say but fits in with their bonkers green criteria anyway 

Sorry to drag up something from days ago, I know we're all enjoying watching the GME fiasco now, but I find it hard to keep up to date with this thread.

Anyway for various reasons hydrogen makes a pretty poor fuel for internal combustion engines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_internal_combustion_engine_vehicle

Extracting <40% of the energy in it by burning it in a reciprocating engine would be pretty dumb when you can get about 90% out of it using a fuel cell.

Ultimately however the main problem with compressed hydrogen as a fuel is that making it in the first place is so energy intensive that however efficiently you can extract the energy from it at the point of use, the round trip efficiency will always be poor. On a local scale where there is surplus renewable power with no way of exporting it, like on a Scottish island with a wind turbine or whatever, then producing hydrogen is better than simply wasting the power. However on a national scale the UK is a long, long way from having a surplus of renewable energy, and we are considerably more advanced, and blessed with renewable energy resources like wind and waves, than most of the rest of the world. It will be many years before hydrogen has a genuine contribution to make to reducing CO2 emissions, and indeed it might never make much of a contribution at all, particularly if, say, CO2 capture to make synthetic liquid fuels ends up offering better round trip efficiency.

I note that various 'hydrogen stocks' have multibagged over the last year. This in my opinion is very much a play on governments continuing to be run by scientifically illiterate fools in the future, rather than on a fundamentally good and viable technology. That might well continue to be a good play of course, I'm just saying :) .

On 25/01/2021 at 13:22, Popuplights said:

Yes, used to mix it 50/50 with diesel. Couldn't tell the difference. You can't do it with modern diesels though, something to do with the pump lubrication

Another bit of minor thread necromancy. In fact the lubricity of veg oil is better than dino diesel. You might have problems with the pump if it's cold and the veg oil thickens up; it might struggle to generate the pressure that common rail systems need, or pop seals etc. But generally, a modern diesel will run OK on veg oil...for a while.

The problem is that modern diesels are 'direct injection' as in they inject the fuel straight into the cylinder, rather than burning it in a 'pre-chamber' in the head. Straight veg oil contains glycerol, which doesn't burn all that well, and will eventually get under the piston rings and gum them up. When that happens the engine will sooner or later start sucking the sump oil up past the rings into the cylinder, at which point unless you stall it or deprive it of air it will run away until it seizes catastrophically.

The process of making 'biodiesel' is simply removing the glycerol. Once that's done it's functionally pretty much equivalent to dino diesel and any engine will run on it safely (except for the fact that the residues of the methanol and caustic soda used in the cleaning process can rot fuel hoses and seals).

4 hours ago, Rave said:

Who were the counterparties to these trades, then? Serious question :) .

I think if you asked the rich billionaire cunt in charge of Interactive Brokers he'd say the 'clearing houses' and that's why they stopped them 'daft punters' from buying anymore shares.....to protect the collapse of these 'houses of ill repute' and therefore 'the system'

Methinks he might have been worried about the collapse of IB themselves o.O

Worldspreads collapsed a while ago.....can't remember the exact details....moral of the story, beware paddy firms*....notoriously dodgy gypo 'celtic tiger' snake oil salesmen xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldspreads

*also yankees registered in paddyland to avoid tax O.o

8 hours ago, Harley said:

Don't get hitting SLV, an ETF, as a strategy.  Too broad a play and plenty to break within the ETF first before hitting the wider market.  The ETF is a bit like a fire break.

SLV is a physical ETF. If more and more money flows in they have to go out and buy more physical silver.

5 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

I disagree strongly.  GME, (for the Redditors), was basically shut down yesterday, in collusion with the hedgies, while the price went from around $480, down to $113.  The hedgies are professionals, they could keep trading on their own platforms.  Surely they put more shorts on at $480, and covered their low price shorts at, or close to, $113.  They'd be pretty shit hedgies if they didn't.

But, I do think there's a risk of a market crash.  And I think its being set up to blame the Redditors, just like an open door and an invite inside from the cops at the Capitol a few weeks back.  Joe Biden has been elected on a "build back better" slogan.  This is the Party of Davos slogan.  I think think he, or rather, the Party of Davos, are wanting a global collapse, so they can get on with it.  From the Biden admin's perspective, the sooner this happens the better, as they can shuck off more blame to the Trump admin the closer it is to that time.  And also, the sooner it is, the more of their term they have left for the voters to forget.

For me, the SEC, President, Treasury Secretary, should have come out to condemn the market manipulation of Robin Hood, Citadel, Melvin Capital and the other brokerages who followed suit.  USA is the home of the free market, and they just bent it to all hell, in my opinion.  That they didn't, even though I wasn't playing, rang all kinds of alarm bells.  When it transpired they were doubling down, and manipulating AG today, (I didn't find out until after market close), I decided to pull a large chunk from NYSE on Monday, and bring it home, probably to cash.

EDIT TO ADD - I didn't explain this well enough.  The liquidity issue, is Redditors and other investors pulling their cash from the market as it's revealed to be rigged, and the administration reveal themselves to quite like it that way.  Did you check the bitcoin price today?  That was Redditors saying, "fuck this for a game of soldiers."

Ej6K8SKWAAAi987.jpg

I think it was the Treasury Secretary putting pressure on the brokers, to “maintain the stability of the system”. In other words Janet Yellen bailing out her paymasters.

11 hours ago, TMM said:

You're not on your own! I've been reading the thread here and on TOS, if only...

I've been buying and laddering as others suggest, but I think my problem is I started in the March crash and so think anything 10% above those prices are expensive :-) :-) :-)

34 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

SLV is a physical ETF. If more and more money flows in they have to go out and buy more physical silver.

ok but it's been proven the SEC have no balls and/or oversight is week, will they really purchase the silver?

sounds like the Fort Knox story, how much gold is actually in there and what proportion actually belongs to the people of 'the fatherland'? xD

ie the yankees stole the nazis gold! https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/02/world/nazi-gold-was-recast-and-issued-in-the-us.html

and the krauts got some back lol

https://globalbullionsuppliers.com/blogs/blog/why-is-germany-repatriating-gold

I guess anything goes in love, war and financial markets :Jumping:

ThoughtCriminal

"Yeah, so I was talking to this guy called Durham Born, or as we redditors call him The Sage Of Sedgefield, and he told me about using your mortgage as leverage.........." 

😂

Screenshot_20210129_143103_com.twitter.android.jpg

So lots of chatter about a rotation into Bonds.

Does that affect our hivemind view on investment positioning?  I must confess I've never invested in Bonds (not my area of knowledge), but I bet someone on here has...

Archived