DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

John Lewis - Never Knowingly Having Retail Experience.

Battenberg

John Lewis SHOULD be able to continue to outperform shareholder earned retail businesses, as it can ignore the short term reporting/profits cycle and invest over a longer time frame.  The staff should also be higher motivated than bottom monkeys at ASDA on minimum wage.

Funny how diversity hire Sharon has fucked the first (by flip flopping with short term business plans, announcements out of the blue about massive changes in direction, and spunking money on consultants) and is now fucking the second (fucking the staff morale by smashing contract terms for existing staff, leaking to the press large scale redundancies, etc).

ALMOST AS IF SHE WAS PUT IN PLACE TO DELIBERATELY ATTACK WHAT MADE JL STRONG

see my above post.  I have no doubt at all, none, that all these changes were approved by her on the back of expensive consultants who, funnily enough, have massive clients in competing businesses.

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

One percent

Why does jl even exist?   Ive just bought two items from them online. The first was a Laura Ashley branded product and yes i could have bought this elsewhere but the price was the same wherever I bought it.  Jl never had the thing in its possession. It was stored and shipped by a third party.  The other item is stored and shipped by amazon.  It was jl branded.   It’s incredibly wasteful as the two things have obviously been shipped separately.  What exactly is their purpose, other than hosting a website, which amazon do better?  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Why does jl even exist?   Ive just bought two items from them online. The first was a Laura Ashley branded product and yes i could have bought this elsewhere but the price was the same wherever I bought it.  Jl never had the thing in its possession. It was stored and shipped by a third party.  The other item is stored and shipped by amazon.  It was jl branded.   It’s incredibly wasteful as the two things have obviously been shipped separately.  What exactly is their purpose, other than hosting a website, which amazon do better?  

There was a woman on radio going - Jl .. its a national treasure ......

Id not heard of it, never mind been in one, til I was ~24.

JL is mainly a London/SE thing.

Waitrose Harrogate opened in 2004 if web is correct)

Waitrose (food) got its rep by being not as expensive as MnS, but a lot better than Tescos.

Jl (dept stores) got their rep by making decision n choice for people, so they could reliably buy a good brand/model.

I remember talking to a JL person who was saying that some Tvs n shit make model especially for Dixons i.e. they strip away expensive components and good stuff./

he was right

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Id not heard of it, never mind been in one, til I was ~24.

I had heard of it. When I was a kid there was an expression if you were looking a bit aimless

"standing around like one of Lewis's"

In reference to the hookers who plied their trade in JL's spacious and protected from the wind and rain shop entrance in Piccadily Gardens, Manchester.

I never heard of the associated brands though such as Waitrose and Heelas.

• Informative 1

Rare Bear
On 30/01/2024 at 21:45, GTM said:

Imagine being this innumerate.

Well, 11,000 is more than 7,600 which is 10% of 76,000 so it does fit the desiof being at least 10% of 76,000. 

But I do take your point.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, One percent said:

JL was, when at it's best, somewhere where you knew the quality of goods was high (wouldn't break in the first week, seams on clothes wouldn't give way, etc), prices were not excessive, and staff were knowledgable and helpful because they got a share of the profits.

The internet challenged the price point, but not the quality and staff points.  Luckily shazza diversity has smashed those two.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, One percent said:

There isn't one. I've no idea why anyone would shop at jl. Presumably it's mainly those 50+. Once that generation is gone jl will be gone as well.

• Agree 2

Well, everything is linked.

The expansion of JL - in London/SE is tied up wit hte expansion of the finsec and high paying jobs, in London/SE

Look at when the stores opened - 

https://waitrosememorystore.org.uk/content/category/branches-3/branches-f-h

Lots from 80s to 90s, pause, then the ruinous expansion from 00s.

The 00s onwards one could not support JL.

And, now, with the contraction of London/Se finsec jobs n pay, neither can the ones from the 80s+

• Agree 1

Today I received an email ‘Thank You’ with a discount voucher from the new Executive Director who is now leading the company and has been in situ for three weeks. There were several flashing pictures in the email, two with various products and two with people. The first people-picture was a headshot of a young African man wearing large white headphones and the second was of a young African woman with dreadlocks dressed in a denim shirt. To be fair they were both good looking young people who I assume must represent the new John Lewis and the new John Lewis shopper rather than the old white gammon (me) who received the email.

Still at least … mi wi ave a discount eff mi need mi a weave or item fi mi crib o di yard an mi wi shop a John Lewis.

Edited by satch
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 8
  • Cheers 1

TheNoSnowMan
3 hours ago, satch said:

Still at least … mi wi ave a discount eff mi need mi a weave or item fi mi crib o di yard an mi wi shop a John Lewis.

Maybe they're planning on a new name for their current year clientèle: Jamel Lewis ('n sheeeeiiiiitttttt)

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

2 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Maybe they're planning on a new name for their current year clientèle: Jamel Lewis ('n sheeeeiiiiitttttt)

John Lewis is rebranding like Marathon is now Snickers, Jif is now Cif, and Opal Fruits are Starburst.

To reflect their modern values and cultural diversity, John Lewis will be rebranded as Oluwaseun Osamasomasolumo and a new tag line to replace ‘never knowingly undersold’ with ‘neva sel mi no oddah cos no bady betta sel dan mi’.

• Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

sancho panza
8 hours ago, spygirl said:

Well, everything is linked.

The expansion of JL - in London/SE is tied up wit hte expansion of the finsec and high paying jobs, in London/SE

Look at when the stores opened - 

https://waitrosememorystore.org.uk/content/category/branches-3/branches-f-h

Lots from 80s to 90s, pause, then the ruinous expansion from 00s.

The 00s onwards one could not support JL.

And, now, with the contraction of London/Se finsec jobs n pay, neither can the ones from the 80s+

Whilst on the surface it ooks like wages kept pace with CPI there are a number of problems with both stats.between 2000 and Q4 2023 wages went up 80% and inflation up 85%.

The two elephants in the room being a huge increase in part time work/benefit claimant count and on the inflation side that CPI did not include the huge rise in hosue prices.

Between thsoe two petards has JL blown up.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1002964/average-full-time-annual-earnings-in-the-uk/

image.thumb.png.060812b339f9a2a1bfbfb6ebc34d1474.png

image.thumb.png.7a9bfb3d88726eee1a8329b5c5cd8e84.png

• Agree 2

sancho panza

parody always ends up eating itself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/02/john-lewis-denies-blocking-staff-joining-union-job-cuts/

John Lewis denies blocking staff from joining union ahead of mass job cuts

John Lewis has denied discouraging workers from joining trade unions as the department store owner prepares to cut 11,000 roles.

GMB bosses this weekend accused the John Lewis Partnership, which also owns Waitrose, of pressuring staff not to join the union. One insider claimed they felt it was “unofficially frowned upon” while another claimed managers preferred union representatives not to be involved in meetings, although admitted there is no formal block.

John Lewis denied this, saying staff were “free to join a union”. A spokesman added that “as an employee-owned organisation, we… provide many benefits of a union, without any cost”.

Edited by sancho panza
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

5 hours ago, sancho panza said:

parody always ends up eating itself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/02/john-lewis-denies-blocking-staff-joining-union-job-cuts/

John Lewis denies blocking staff from joining union ahead of mass job cuts

John Lewis has denied discouraging workers from joining trade unions as the department store owner prepares to cut 11,000 roles.

GMB bosses this weekend accused the John Lewis Partnership, which also owns Waitrose, of pressuring staff not to join the union. One insider claimed they felt it was “unofficially frowned upon” while another claimed managers preferred union representatives not to be involved in meetings, although admitted there is no formal block.

John Lewis denied this, saying staff were “free to join a union”. A spokesman added that “as an employee-owned organisation, we… provide many benefits of a union, without any cost”.

CAR

CRASH

once the members don't see the organisation as 'theirs', you're fucked.  I knew some people who used to work for JL and they would look on the wage slaves at debenhams, etc, with pity.  Not any more, I bet.

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
Lightly Toasted

You'd think they'd stop digging.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240215231345/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/15/john-lewis-staff-magazine-breast-binders-trans-children/

John Lewis magazine gives tips on breast binders for trans children
Partnership faces calls for boycott after critics brand guidance in staff publication ‘dangerous’ and ‘irresponsible’

John Lewis has launched a magazine for staff which advises parents on how to find breast binders for trans children.

The partnership, which also owns Waitrose, faced boycott calls on Wednesday after it issued a new publication to more than 70,000 staff members.

The Identity magazine, produced by the “LGTQIA+ network”, warned parents their support “can determine their child’s mental wellbeing” before quoting figures from controversial charity Stonewall, which suggested that the number of trans children attempting suicide is “double the national average”.

The magazine recommends support from the charity Mermaids, which is currently under investigation by the Charity Commission amid safeguarding concerns, and praises private clinic Gender GP for prescribing cross-sex hormones.

James Esses, co-ordinator of the Declaration for Biological Reality, who was sent the magazine by a concerned staff member, said  “My main concern is that we have an employer pushing a divisive and dangerous ideology on to its staff members.

“It is particularly concerning that it suggests to potentially vulnerable parents in a difficult situation that the answer to their daughter’s distress with their bodies would be to get them a breast binder, that is the most alarming thing of all.”

Calls for boycott
Calls for a boycott of the stores come as the company is already struggling financially, with multi-million pound losses prompting plans for a major turnaround.

Earlier this week, it emerged that staff, braced for sweeping job cuts, have been warned they face disciplinary action if they post abusive comments on its internal forum.

It is not the first time that John Lewis has sparked controversy over trans issues. In 2019 it caused a row over protection of single sex spaces after telling customers they can use “whichever fitting room makes them feel most comfortable”...

• Agree 3
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1
  • Vomit 1

• 2 weeks later...
spygirl

Pay me 10m and Ill black up and wear a dress to pitch this ....

Ive thought about JL.

There is only one solution to JL.

Become a middle class English CostCo.

Charge a £200/household family membership.

Devlier lower price food n whatnot.

Subs will keep the scummers out, which will make the customer happy.

Youll more than get your 200 back on lower margins a la CostCo.

HL will get that operating cost from the sub, plus higher sales of goods at lower margin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

HousePriceMania
9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Ive thought about JL.

HL will get that operating cost from the sub, plus higher sales of goods at lower margin.

I thought about JL yesterday.

Their decision to get into Built To Rent Salvery is going to bring them down.

7 hours ago, spygirl said:

Ive thought about JL.

That's a genuinely good idea. Over in the deflation thread the BoE complaining too many people don't care about price increases. I would bet a large component of being a JL shopper is feeling superior and you deserve a proper level of sycophancy from the staff. Suits you sir!  Annual membership would go like hot pains au chocolats.

"JL card? That'll do nicely. And would you like to rub my tits?"

• Agree 1

spygirl
2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

That's a genuinely good idea. Over in the deflation thread the BoE complaining too many people don't care about price increases. I would bet a large component of being a JL shopper is feeling superior and you deserve a proper level of sycophancy from the staff. Suits you sir!  Annual membership would go like hot pains au chocolats.

Thats why I want 10m for it - and I'm prepared to black up, and use my efnik name Spnzzeeexx

I've been looking at retailers while managed to survive amazon.

Costco leaps out.

Just now, spygirl said:

Thats why I want 10m for it - and I'm prepared to black up, and use my efnik name Spnzzeeexx

I've been looking at retailers while managed to survive amazon.

Costco leaps out.

I have a costco membership from the days when I was a family of 4 and made the most of bulk buys. Don't use it a lot anymore but still keep up the membership. Bought a TV in 1990s which had a lifetime guarantee and when it broke exactly 10 years later they refunded me the entire cost and tellies were not cheap back then. Probably repaid that 600 quid by now on membership I don't use enough but I appreciate good service.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

spygirl
17 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Imagine, turning up at Heelas or another large JL, flashing your card and walking by some scatters being refused entrance.

Oh Henry, look at the Argis povos!

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
spygirl

Oh the shame ...

John Lewis appoints Tesco veteran as new chair

Jason Tarry will take over from Sharon White in September

Comments are good.

What John Lewis people say about Sharon White's tenure, as quoted in The Observer (Oct-23 article):

"One former staffer said White was failing to listen enough, and was ill-equipped for the job despite boundless self-belief"

"One former adviser said missteps emerged as White built a team who were “all theory people”, and made changes without listening enough"

"Another source and several former staffers agreed: “Her people judgment has been really poor.”"

"The source said White was used to the “genteel decorum of civil service life”"

The article was written by a woman and I don't think anyone can accuse The Observer of having rightwing bias.

She lauded Tarry for having “a combination of fantastic retail experience with leadership through transformation”.
So exactly what Sharon White didn't have. I've got nothing against her personally but she was a crazy choice and shouldn't have thought she could do the job.
She's picked up a couple of million quid on the way, though.
Let's see if Tarry can bring the best of Tesco (clarity, efficiency) to John Lewis while keeping/reviving the best of John Lewis (customer service, quality, trust).

• Agree 1

Ash4781b

Blimey they have gone the other way appointing a chap who without checking through his background is core Tesco through and through. 33years at Tesco!  Maybe turn them into Tesco 2.0 or something. 

• Agree 2

Ash4781b
6 hours ago, ccc said:

Wonder if this may be the start of a reverse trend. Hopefully. 

It Will be interesting but I think they’ll write what they want to on that. Even if he turns them around

• Agree 1