DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property crash, just maybe it really is different this time

haroldshand

Bobthebuilder
10 minutes ago, Xtal said:

I didn't remember it being quite so bad! 

I think this is a problem in a load of places, traditionally a bit of a shit hole that is a center for arts and music. |Then all the wankers come in paying £850,000 for a fucking flat, hoping they will price all the underground out and make a fortune. See Hackney for the same type of property tossers.

There's a saying in London spots like Camden, "its a shit hole, but its my shit hole".

• Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I think this is a problem in a load of places, traditionally a bit of a shit hole that is a center for arts and music. |Then all the wankers come in paying £850,000 for a fucking flat, hoping they will price all the underground out and make a fortune. See Hackney for the same type of property tossers.

There's a saying in London spots like Camden, "its a shit hole, but its my shit hole".

Funnily enough I have a similar saying about London!

"It's a shithole"

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Funnily enough I have a similar saying about London!

"It's a shithole"

The thing I have always noticed about London is how all the shire country mice hate the place, and say that they live in rural Eden. Where as every Londoner loves London and loves your shit hole of a rural market town as well, its a win win for us, easy pickings.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

The thing I have always noticed about London is how all the shire country mice hate the place, and say that they live in rural Eden. Where as every Londoner loves London and loves your shit hole of a rural market town as well, its a win win for us, easy pickings.

I was born and raised in a general suburban place about 20 miles from London not rural Eden, but I worked there for a couple of years every day and still never got the attraction

• Agree 2

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I was born and raised in a general suburban place about 20 miles from London not rural Eden, but I worked there for a couple of years every day and still never got the attraction

I suppose it depends on what you do to earn your money, and the lifestyle that comes with it.

I could never have made a living in a punk rock band in Chipping Norton, but I visit there regularly.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I suppose it depends on what you do to earn your money, and the lifestyle that comes with it.

I could never have made a living in a punk rock band in Chipping Norton, but I visit there regularly.

You probably could now;)

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

to drive 2 miles takes over an hour.

Are you just flat out baiting him now?  (I'm totally OK with it)

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, spunko said:

to drive 2 miles takes over an hour.

I drove 7 miles to a job today in London, took me 30 minutes.

11 minutes ago, spunko said:

they can't go out after dark for fear of being stabbed or robbed

I am not even going to comment on that.

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

They go to the countryside and it's like an alien world.

Its worse the other way around, country folk stand out like a sore thumb in the smoke, they usually act aggressive, because they think that's how it is.

• Informative 1

Bobthebuilder
12 minutes ago, Loki said:

Are you just flat out baiting him now?  (I'm totally OK with it)

Hes a Kent boy, they usually have the strongest east end accents of anyone.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I drove 7 miles to a job today in London, took me 30 minutes.

I am not even going to comment on that.

Its worse the other way around, country folk stand out like a sore thumb in the smoke, they usually act aggressive, because they think that's how it is.

To be fair I'm basing this on Croydon which is notoriously bad.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, spunko said:

To be fair I'm basing this on Croydon which is notoriously bad.

To be fair, I don't class  Croydon as London, its Kent.

9 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Hes a Kent boy, they usually have the strongest east end accents of anyone.

Oh I didn't mean you  xD  

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Oh I didn't mean you  xD  

Where you from then Mr Loki? 20 miles from town? Surrey?

leonardratso
18 minutes ago, Shamone said:

We used to make toast with them.

with a big brass fork? terrible, used to make big holes in the bread and always untoasted at the points the grill hit. An electric toaster after that or even the cooker grill was like a brave new world.

• Lol 1

leonardratso
21 minutes ago, Loki said:

Yep

i used to live in caterham, worked in whyteleaf, was lovely back then, other parts of it were and stil are a bit shit though.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I was born in and lived and worked in London till I was 50.  Loved it but from a young age knew I would leave at some point for the country and proper rural country not the Home Counties which I always hated.  Love coming back to London which I do regularly and it’s always better than I expect it to be.  Except Stratford.  Which is an absolute third world dump, only partially made better by the London Stadium 😏

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

The Grey Man
6 minutes ago, Innkeeper said:

I was born in and lived and worked in London till I was 50.  Loved it but from a young age knew I would leave at some point for the country and proper rural country not the Home Counties which I always hated.  Love coming back to London which I do regularly and it’s always better than I expect it to be.  Except Stratford.  Which is an absolute third world dump, only partially made better by the London Stadium 😏

Thanks for that. Added to my knowledge Good Sir.

Nowadays, I want to send my heart out to my southern English friends.

We are the same. The Manc.

• Cheers 1

sancho panza

image.png.371fb2120bee3e76569b1a97518ebad9.png

'Private renters are almost twice as likely to be struggling with problem levels of debt as the general population, with a sharp rise in the numbers in serious financial difficulty since January, research shows.

The figures come against a backdrop of private rents in the UK hitting record highs, and days after the government announced a shake-up of the sector to tackle the “injustices” that many tenants are facing.'

• Informative 4

sancho panza

https://thenegotiator.co.uk/off-plan-property-sales-plummet-as-investors-back-out/

Off-plan purchases are falling rapidly as buy-to-let investors pull out of new builds, new data shows.

Property sales prior to completion were at the lowest level in 10 years in 2022, with just 34% of new homes sold off-plan, according to research by Hamptons.

Last year’s fall in off-plan sales was the fifth in six years, and they are now well below the peak of 46% seven years ago.

Just 21% of off-plan homes were bought by investors last year, down from 70% in 2016.

Meanwhile first-time buyers made up just over two-thirds (67%) of off-plan purchases last year.

• Informative 5
  • Love / Hugz 1

Wight Flight
7 hours ago, sancho panza said:

'Private renters are almost twice as likely to be struggling with problem levels of debt as the general population, with a sharp rise in the numbers in serious financial difficulty since January, research shows.

The figures come against a backdrop of private rents in the UK hitting record highs, and days after the government announced a shake-up of the sector to tackle the “injustices” that many tenants are facing.'

Part of the reason for that could be that renters will pay much higher interest rates than home owners on any debt.

• Agree 1

HousePriceMania
9 hours ago, sancho panza said:

By proxy....the landlords will be struggling

• Agree 2

CPI latest [sub 10% but not as good as expected, and only lower due to lowered fuel prices feeding through to the stats] now means markets are pricing in 5.5% interest rates, housebuilders have '$hit the bed' [down around 4%], and I am sure those with vested interests will be along in a moment to tell us the property market is fine!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Where as every Londoner loves London

Well not every Londoner! :-)...moving away and then revisiting makes me realize that is great to visit there but not to live there. Transport links [and low TFL zone prices] means you can live outside in pleasant surroundings/countryside and still enjoy the benefits of entertainment etc that London has to offer.

Edited by MrXxxx
  • Agree 2