DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

Starmer on Sky news, when put on the spot about mortgage help he wouldn't comit to anything (even though he couldn't be held to it as leader of the opposition for over a year). His weasel answer was tightening loopholes in the energy widfall tax would help mortgage holders indirectly by lowering energy bills. Also tried to link windfarms to mortgages(!), just total deflection. Mentioned vaguely about looking at long-term stuff.

The fix is in, mortage help is toxic and not happening IMO.

(~4 minutes in, the rest is energy and honours stuff)

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Axeman123 said:

The chances for and scale of embezzlement are both probably higher overall for the SA elite than here.

I have watched one go up, the rooms were prefab with all the internal fittings and then stacked on site like shipping containers. A Brick and render facade was added (and presumably connecting up the pipes/wires etc) then it was all done within a few weeks.

I assume they are ~50 year lifespan and have little scope for redevelopment without starting over, but they must not care.

Armstrong Economics The push for the 15-minute city is underway. Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are becoming increasingly popular as cities across the globe are rezoning neighborhoods to permit additional properties to be built on the same land as existing homes. Some are now referring to these units as “backyard homes” as they are becoming a normalized part of life amid the housing crisis.

• Informative 6

1 hour ago, leonardratso said:

im always quite surprised at how quickly things turn to shit, its as if the normal or good times were operating on a razors edge between being 'normal/good' and being complete shit, a bit like a bank balance that hovers at £1 and varies little, then suddenly its -£1 then -£2 etc etc. Getting it back to that +£1 always takes massively longer than getting it to -£19.8Billion.

Agree. My husband's parents had a 40 bed hotel in Newquay on a busy input road and great for passing trade.  Then came black Wednesday and the tourists stayed home. We are slowly entering this same scenario imo.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 3

7 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Is it time to start buying yet ?

That is contrarian thinking!

If the dollar weakens and our politicians actually do anything sensible Gilts could appreciate quite easily. Its still up in the air IMO whether we get systemic collapse or clear-headed action to avoid it, but we should find out fairly soon - the country is definitely at a cross-roads. 

The unified front (barring some "Tory mortgage penalty" carping from Starmer) both parties are presenting on "no direct mortgage help" looks like clear-headed action is at least a possibility.

28 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

That is contrarian thinking!

If the dollar weakens and our politicians actually do anything sensible Gilts could appreciate quite easily. Its still up in the air IMO whether we get systemic collapse or clear-headed action to avoid it, but we should find out fairly soon - the country is definitely at a cross-roads. 

The unified front (barring some "Tory mortgage penalty" carping from Starmer) both parties are presenting on "no direct mortgage help" looks like clear-headed action is at least a possibility.

But aren't the value of Gilts (UK Gov. Bonds)  inverse to the yield (interest) paid on them? So in effect Gilts already in existence are worth less as new Gilts issued pay a better return and so are worth more as a result.

So that chart represents the value of Gilts in existence falling in price, It was around 2 Trillion total gilt value last year.

So if we expect interest rates (Gilt Yields) to fall) then the price goes back up.

Do we expect interest rates (Yields) to fall any time soon?

Edited by Plan-b
  • Agree 3

desertorchid
8 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

But aren't the value of Gilts (UK Gov. Bonds)  inverse to the yield (interest) paid on them? So in effect Gilts already in existence are worth less as new Gilts issued pay a better return and so are worth more as a result.

So that chart represents the value of Gilts in existence falling in price, It was around 2 Trillion total gilt value last year.

So if we expect interest rates (Gilt Yields) to fall) then the price goes back up.

Do we expect interest rates to fall any time soon?

It is entirely conceivable that cost push inflation pressures continue to ease and alongside credit deflation causes a significant fall in CPI over the next few months. In fact, this is what the CB's keep telling us will happen.

If this is true they will jump at the chance to pivot on rates and these gilts then become a one way bet. Indeed today could be the best opportunity this decade to capture almost risk free gains and a decent long term yield.

Or maybe not:)

• Agree 4
  • Cheers 1

Joncrete Cungle
1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

Has anyone had the Telefonica SA divi land yet?,i thought it was due friday,but nothing yet.

Nothing showing in our HL accounts.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, desertorchid said:

a significant fall in CPI over the next few months. In fact, this is what the CB's keep telling us will happen.

Indeed they have been telling us a lot of things that have turned out to be wrong xD

17 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

If yields eased off gilt prices would rise, as per the bold above.

I feel like yields will either fall or rise significantly from here. I know that sounds like the most hedged non-statement ever, but what I mean is they won't stay at this level for long. Current yields are IMO pricing in the non-zero chance of systemic collapse, and bond-traders are said to be the smartest guys in the room. The nature of the systemic collapse IMO would be a spiral, rising yields crush the economy and tax take leading to increased defecits feeding back in to yields.

TL:DR up or down, not sideways for long IMO.

UST yields and the dollar look to have peaked, and that would also likely give a tailwind to any such move. Such a move might be something like 10 or 20 % on a long duration Gilt fund in a few weeks or months, so not huge but potentially attractive to some.

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

Has anyone had the Telefonica SA divi land yet?,i thought it was due friday,but nothing yet.

Yes, ii landed today.

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

Castlevania
4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Agreed.

And when a landlord has 200 properties in a complex to rent they care very much about their reputation, and the reputation of that complex.

From my experience of a corporate landlord who owned several blocks in London, they were much better than your average BTL muppet or an accidental landlord. They had a plumber; handymen etc on the payroll. Any issues got sorted quickly and they didn’t seem averse to repainting between tenancies. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2

Long time lurking
1 hour ago, Axeman123 said:

To announce mortgage help will just compound the problem even further

Extend and pretend looks very much like it`s turning into put up or shut the fuck up 

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

HousePriceMania
55 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

That is correct.

If you expect inflation to fall and rates to fall then you should buy these at some point.

I have always planned to buy into it, but I am waiting for rates to hit 10% first.

• Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

Castlevania
2 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

There’s usually a couple days lag on foreign shares

36 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

US onshoring of manufacturing isn't just talk, it's happening:

image.thumb.png.5a0af0174547a454d100c4407a45425e.png

To be clear, this is construction spend in the manufacturing sector. This kind of stuff:

image.png.61ec4979ac325a475f4d81db0190be3f.png

In other words, building factories. Isn't it amazing how a market will respond to well targeted government incentives ... and the indirect crushing of European industry. No wonder the EU are in a panic about it. What is the UK doing about it?

image.png

I was musing the other day of the need to get Manhattan project scale brains and resources concentrated again to move forward, so I was shocked to see this:

I had no idea that there has been a Manhattan Project sized Federal support to US manufacturing already. I wouldn't bet against the US for a while yet. As I said, if they are going to produce stuff that the EM world wants or needs, they will keep going for some decades yet I think.

I wonder if Biden Stopped the Canadian Keystone XL oil pipeline for a reason - perhaps saving it for the future?

The US is certainly going to need huge energy supplies in the future if they want to onshore massively.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

That is correct.

If you expect inflation to fall and rates to fall then you should buy these at some point.

I have always planned to buy into it, but I am waiting for rates to hit 10% first.

My thought is that the UK has features of an EM country, and yet also of a DM one. If you wanted the "security" of DM while betting on falling UST yields you could go directly to a UST ETF. If you wanted the supercharged returns of EMs response to the same you could go for an EM govt bond fund. The UK Gilt seems to sit in the middle right now IMO, certainly the big boys will want to diversify their govt bond holdings but should an individual investor?

• Informative 1

Long time lurking
3 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

I wonder if Biden Stopped the Canadian Keystone XL oil pipeline for a reason - perhaps saving it for the future?

The US is certainly going to need huge energy supplies in the future if they want to onshore massively.

They are not going to onshore jack shit and they know it ,that`s why Blinken just went begging to China without them even inviting him,the most senior person to greet him when he landed was the US ambassador to China 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Long time lurking
56 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

US onshoring of manufacturing isn't just talk, it's happening:

image.thumb.png.5a0af0174547a454d100c4407a45425e.png

To be clear, this is construction spend in the manufacturing sector. This kind of stuff:

image.png.61ec4979ac325a475f4d81db0190be3f.png

In other words, building factories. Isn't it amazing how a market will respond to well targeted government incentives ... and the indirect crushing of European industry. No wonder the EU are in a panic about it. What is the UK doing about it?

image.png

I was musing the other day of the need to get Manhattan project scale brains and resources concentrated again to move forward, so I was shocked to see this:

I had no idea that there has been a Manhattan Project sized Federal support to US manufacturing already. I wouldn't bet against the US for a while yet. As I said, if they are going to produce stuff that the EM world wants or needs, they will keep going for some decades yet I think.

It`s strange how this is being pushed hard by the like of Peter Zeihan et al ,the very same people that pushed .......

• Lol 4

Cattle Prod
19 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

Yes I've suggested here that Canada is the real strategic reserve for the US.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1