DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 8)

spunko

48 minutes ago, One percent said:

Rookie question incoming.  What are ‘capital controls’ and what do they look like please?  

They look like this:

CONTROLS

• Love / Hugz 1
  • Lol 6
  • Cheers 1

One percent
2 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

No they're not currently formally in place. There are regulations on areas like Crypto that could be argued to have that effect. Crypto is a method of moving large sums across borders.

Capital controls would be brought in to defend the pound. We don't export enough so excess sterling either buys dollars and weakens the pound or it buys UK assets. The latter has a multiplier effect leading to the profits buying more assets or dollars. As you would expect there is no free lunch - a balance of trade deficit makes the country poorer over time. At some point the UK is no longer credit worthy in the eyes of exporting nations or they can't find any assets they want to buy. At that point we have to equalise imports to exports.

I'm sure that an old edition of Top Gear, lamenting the decline of UK car manufacturers, pointed out that in 1948 we only imported 57 cars* whilst we exported 10s of thousands. This was because of capital controls and the imports were luxury cars. The rich are too important to inconvenience. The modern version would restrict foreign holidays. Arguably climate legislation will be used as a form of capital control. Using less imported fuel and travel less means spending less on foreign goods.

*It was a two digit number.

Lol, you must have known that is impossible these days.

Thanks, still out of reps.  
re the bolded bit, we can but dream.  

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder

What is the hive minds thoughts on Abrdn at this price point? I am currently 30% down, but thinking off another small ladder.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

56 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

Capital controls are restrictions on the transfer of a currency outside the jurisdiction of issuance.

I'm too young to remember personally, but they were a feature of British life between WWII and the Thatcher era.

I remember them. I went on a school trip and I had a "British Visitor's Passport" issued at the dole office. I remember because the girl there had a micro-skirt popular at the time and I had a good gawp at her knickers. I took the passport to the local bank branch and they stuck a piece of paper in the back and wrote down my tiny allowance of French francs and Deutschmarks.

• Informative 3
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Cheers 1

Axeman123
47 minutes ago, One percent said:

It amazes me that other countries have all sorts of rules (rightly imho) about who can buy property, who can take money out and how much. Yet our illustrious leaders will sell anything to anyone.  Apparently, Whitehall, which houses most of gover Has been sold off and is leased back.  

Balance of trade comes into play. Most countries want their imports to be balanced by exports of high value manufactured goods or services. Stopping their trade partners buying up assets and land actually forces them towards this. The UK doesn't have those exports to make in any where near the value of our imports, so when we give foreigners our pounds for imports they either have to sell them for their own currency (and drive down the value of the pound) or buy UK assets.

@DurhamBorn (quite rightly) likes to equate the printing and benefits bill: a similar relationship exists between fat Tracey's kids' trampoline she bought from China with her benefits, and Chinese buying up central London and major UK companies. It isn't a fault, it is intentional govt policy to balance the trade. Lax money laundering controls for overseas buyers are the same.

Just wait until the assets available to buy run out though...

43 minutes ago, One percent said:

Huge swathes of property are owned and left empty by foreigners who see it (rightly at the moment) as an investment.

Some of them just want an asset denominated in a strong-ish currency.

• Agree 9

One percent
14 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

Balance of trade comes into play. Most countries want their imports to be balanced by exports of high value manufactured goods or services. Stopping their trade partners buying up assets and land actually forces them towards this. The UK doesn't have those exports to make in any where near the value of our imports, so when we give foreigners our pounds for imports they either have to sell them for their own currency (and drive down the value of the pound) or buy UK assets.

@DurhamBorn (quite rightly) likes to equate the printing and benefits bill: a similar relationship exists between fat Tracey's kids' trampoline she bought from China with her benefits, and Chinese buying up central London and major UK companies. It isn't a fault, it is intentional govt policy to balance the trade. Lax money laundering controls for overseas buyers are the same.

Just wait until the assets available to buy run out though...

Some of them just want an asset denominated in a strong-ish currency.

Thanks

King Penda
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Ta. From replies, i seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.  Silly me thought it would be a mechanism for protecting British citizens.   

It’s Everyman for himself. 

2 hours ago, One percent said:

It amazes me that other countries have all sorts of rules (rightly imho) about who can buy property, who can take money out and how much. Yet our illustrious leaders will sell anything to anyone.  Apparently, Whitehall, which houses most of gover Has been sold off and is leased back.  

HMRC sold most of their buildings off some time ago to a company that they lease them back from.

The company they lease them from are based in the Cayman Islands - a tax haven.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Lol 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Cringe 4

One percent
5 minutes ago, Starsend said:

HMRC sold most of their buildings off some time ago to a company that they lease them back from.

The company they lease them from are based in the Cayman Islands - a tax haven.

And one of their mates is no doubt skimming a load off the transaction.  

• Agree 7

Joncrete Cungle
2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

What is the hive minds thoughts on Abrdn at this price point? I am currently 30% down, but thinking off another small ladder.

I have added a little bit more to our holdings. Happy to sit, wait, collect divis or sell a portion for profit if it moves higher. Ditto Jupiter, I have about as much asset managers / telcos as I want without being overweight.

• Agree 3

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

I have added a little bit more to our holdings. Happy to sit, wait, collect divis or sell a portion for profit if it moves higher. Ditto Jupiter, I have about as much asset managers / telcos as I want without being overweight.

I was thinking of selling my remaining TEF Brasil and swap it with the almost 10% divi payer.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

it found support at 151p last year.......incoming......needs to hold that

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Looking at the state of the UK sterling will need rates 2.6% higher than other relative economies,rising to 4.6% higher later in the cycle unless they sort out spending/immigration/pensions etc if it is to lose real value at around 2% a year.Without those rates currency control will be needed to stop a run.Pretty much half of young people are trying not to ever work due to bennies.Massive structural problems built in with no escape valve.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68404573.amp

“Marks & Spencer has announced pay rises for staff from April, as supermarkets fight to keep employees.

It will increase minimum pay for workers outside of London to £12 per hour, with staff in the capital seeing a raise to £13.15 per hour.

The increase means all of its workers will be paid the voluntary Real Living Wage, which is higher than the compulsory National Living Wage.

About 40,000 staff across the food and clothing retailer will get a raise.”

Another day another large percentage wage rise coming in. Presumably supermarkets will aim to push their suppliers but hey they will just import more?

A national insurance cut is unlikely to fix things as their core grey vote will not like it one bit. They’ve totally f’d this up freezing personal allowances out to 202x whenever and now having to scramble policy. 
I don’t think Labour will do better. Starmer would bring in special experts like Gordon Brown I think.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1