DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

How does this help me buy high and sell low

I don't think any form of studying price will help you there as you probably really shouldn't be doing that!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

@Harley I actually do follow TA, to some extent, but never rely on it completely. 

Sorry, I'm physically tired and a bit on the spectrum or whatever to keep up with the thread twists and turns!  Pizza ovens I get, anything closer and......!  Plus I have invested in these topics (the whole integrated thing, not just TA) from Uni onwards.

Everything in moderation.  It's just people saying TA is bad is like saying food is bad.  There's a far more grown up, nuanced, and beneficial conversation to be had.  But it never happens. 

And I reckon that's 'cause people don't want the brain ache or don't have the required temperament (Mr Market sucks in all types!).  Fine if they're just playing with some play money, else FFS, be professional or hire one.

The most addictive part about studying the markets is to realise it's really about the study of human frailties, as we have seen tonight.  Truth is it's a temptress of a Gordian knot.

The lucky are the ones who avoid the rocks long enough to drop their delusions and give themselves up to the mere probabilistic series of events it is.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 4
  • Love / Hugz 2
  • Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, Loki said:

In my line of work I can't get away with saying "LOL ur building might catch fire LMAO" but anything financial seems to be very much "No refunds" based.  Nice work if you can get it

I might as well just do it myself, and hold myself accountable - that's one more person than I can hold accountable with a pro

Talking to a friend today who's been to see several financial advisors.  Very interested to hear what they had to say.  There clearly was a benefit in those who knew the ins and outs of the rules, possibilities, etc for those where such stuff was relevant.

None of the tax stuff was new to me and the rest (e.g. planning) was not rocket science but probably would be to many others so fair enough.  But then they are not fund managers, traders, etc so that's another lot.  Nice if you've got most of the rare skill set and unique opportunity to do the full end to end.  I wouldn't want to be a standard FA though.

There is a real danger with DIY in not knowing what you should know on a wide range of topics.  Maybe though things are pretty straightforward for most folk, although reading the pension pages in The Telegraph had me a tad worried (both the mistakes people apparently make, and the mistakes the journalists made!).

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 5

montecristo
1 hour ago, Harley said:

Talking to a friend today who's been to see several financial advisors.  Very interested to hear what they had to say.  There clearly was a benefit in those who knew the ins and outs of the rules, possibilities, etc for those where such stuff was relevant.

None of the tax stuff was new to me and the rest (e.g. planning) was not rocket science but probably would be to many others so fair enough.  But then they are not fund managers, traders, etc so that's another lot.  Nice if you've got most of the rare skill set and unique opportunity to do the full end to end.  I wouldn't want to be a standard FA though.

There is a real danger with DIY in not knowing what you should know on a wide range of topics.  Maybe though things are pretty straightforward for most folk, although reading the pension pages in The Telegraph had me a tad worried (both the mistakes people apparently make, and the mistakes the journalists made!).

How much would that have cost?  If your friend just stuck his money in a S&P ETF  he would be quid's up and saved financial advice fees. 

• Agree 2

leonardratso

games back on, couldnt sleep so had a quick look online.

• Agree 1

leonardratso

hmm not much jumping going on, must be some low grade missiles.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, montecristo said:

How much would that have cost?  If your friend just stuck his money in a S&P ETF  he would be quid's up and saved financial advice fees. 

FFS, you don't know his situation, etc so pure speculation on your part.

montecristo
1 hour ago, Harley said:

FFS, you don't know his situation, etc so pure speculation on your part.

It's all speculation.

12 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

Are we still on with tracker/passive v active investment?

Passive investments have done well and are easy for retail Joe Public….and that might be the case in the future but today, right now I am watching a world madness because it feels like we have inflated assets and whether they pop or are slowly deflated I want to beat the markets during that process because otherwise it feels like it’s going to be very costly. 

If the is thread was called ‘a helpful guide to creating wealth over a lifetime’ then the advice for a 22 year old might be to drip feed into the stock market in a well balanced portfolio over 45 years….retire, enjoy 15 years, get old and die.

Buts it’s not that……this is about it potentially being 1928, the shoe shine boy has just given his stockbroker a share tip and things don’t feel right. The thread is like it’s 1928 and someone is tapping you on the shoulder and offering a bit of a heads up saying ‘wow these good times don’t feel right and then suggesting what might happen in the relatively near future’.

Now often contrarians never feel things are right….but anyone ignoring what’s going on today is a braver man than me. Provoked wars, huge debts, eye watering deficits, unaffordable houses, 700k immigrants last year to fiddle the GDP, only 0.6% of GDP being agriculture against 10% of imputed rents, 50% of people not working, unelected PMs, corrupt politicians……and the media just reporting on misuse of pronouns. 

Daft things about value, bubbles and money…..a tiny $14 bn US company being bought by a Japanese company being reviewed by their government because it presents a risk. US steel if that important surely should be valued at more than $14bn with Microsoft worth $3,000 billion  

This isn’t about where to invest in 20 years time, it isn’t about what has been the best approach over certain periods in the past……. this is suggesting we are at a turning point, things not being right, mainly printing and debt at unprecedented levels. 

After any collapse/slow erosion of wealth….. then I will review the approach. 😉

Lovely.  It's about spending as much, probably more, time on the question rather than the answer.  Doing that has huge benefits.  People rush in and a bunfight ensues as we see here and on other threads.  Some do it by accident and maybe some do it deliberately because winning an argument on some peripheral forum matters to them.  As I said, Mr Market loves to highlight people's frailties.  Mine too so I'm off for another break!

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 3
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Tea leaves and entrails.

xD

TA is just not scientific.

Anyone like to borrow my astrology book on how to really do things? Just PM me

IMG_20240419_083348 - Copy.jpg

• Lol 11

belfastchild

This thread has been an education for me.
I used to use TA to rate things. Tits and ass. Im glad Im now enlightened.

• Love / Hugz 1
  • Cheers 3

baffledbyzirp

Shit, my portfolio went down £3K in the time it took me to write that damn reply! Perhaps @Harleyis on to something. You figure out your strategy and adapt it over time. Everything else is just meaningless politics. In the end someone will be proved correct by the data but at that point we will have long forgotten all this bluster.

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 1

leonardratso
22 minutes ago, baffledbyzirp said:

Shit, my portfolio went down £3K in the time it took me to write that damn reply! Perhaps @Harleyis on to something. You figure out your strategy and adapt it over time. Everything else is just meaningless politics. In the end someone will be proved correct by the data but at that point we will have long forgotten all this bluster.

was it dividends? £10, left pocket, right pocket, middle pocket etc

Nay looks lie the whole shitshow is in correction+ mode after this mornings misfires, like everything just said shit, go up go up, ah hang on go back go back, tell you what fuckit just got back a lot more.

Bitcoin? halving probably boosting it also in this case.

image.png.9001fc542d28ca8adc525b98593bed0e.png

Edited by leonardratso
  • Cheers 1

ThoughtCriminal
17 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

But remember.  The overwhelming majority of active traders fail to beat a global tracker over the longer term.  Mostly because the vast majority of stock market returns come from a small number of companies* (typically 1.3% of companies.)  And as an active stockpicker, what are the odds of you having those specific companies consistently in your portfolio?

What's your objective?  To make money or to have a mental exercise aiming to beat the market?  This is why I have an 80/20 serious money/fun money allocation.

I just sometimes get the idea what you have on this thread is a bit cult like where:

- some people making gloomy predictions about the future (some of whom have arguably been successful as active investors  - but again, compared to a global tracker, how successful?) making out that certain individual companies are likely to be good investments (- who knows?)

- other people who, perhaps, aren't as well off / aren't as sophisticated an investor / don't have a large capital base "tuning in" and then actively trading with money that has a higher chance of doing well when placed in cheap tracker funds or a higher chance of "doing a VOD" than a tracker.

Having money in carefully selected pots is fine as long as you have plenty pots containing plenty money. 

This is why I favour trackers.  Your money is automatically diversified across thousands of companies.  Imagine having the bulk of your cash in BATS and VOD over the last 5 years because some bloke on the internet says they are growth shares.  O.o

The fact that some on here genuinely think dividends are free extra money like bank interest was the first thing that made me pause for thought**.  They don't actually understand something as basic as that, so are they really in a good position to be making punts on which individual companies are likely to beat the market?  Though ultimately, grown adults can do what they like with their money.  I'm just trying to put across the alternative.

* Studies of 'asymmetry' by Hendrik Bessembinder – which looked at global stock market returns between 1990 and 2018 – established that just 1.3 per cent of stocks contributed all of the net gain when compared to the performance of US Treasury bills. https://magazinebailliegifford.com/lessons-from-bessembinder/

** I'm not strictly speaking against dividends as such. I just think they are an irrelevant distraction.  And I certainly don't see them as akin to interest.

And yet, you have STILL not demonstrated that Divis aren't a net gain.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

And yet, you have STILL not demonstrated that Divis aren't a net gain.

Even if it's all the same, if you were selling and buying accordingly you'd get trading fees etc every time 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1