DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

1 minute ago, DurhamBorn said:

All incredible companies,BUT at some point they will be valued at 10 free cash flow,all of them.So the question is only what will their max free cash turn out to be? Tesla has been cut in half already,but at todays price it needs to get to $50bill a year free cash flow,Nvidia needs to get to $200 billion free cash flow :Jumping: ,Microsoft $300 billion etc etc.

Funny money, how it continues is beyond me. But, then again, nothing surprises me anymore.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

goldbug9999
7 hours ago, Errol said:

If people just followed Celente they would be fine. He's been buying gold for decades, and advising others to do the same. And gold still hasn't really got going yet.

Yeah so long as they ignored his monthly stock market crash predictions.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

goldbug9999
1 hour ago, TNS said:

Funny money, how it continues is beyond me. 

Tech stocks have become a unsophisticated investors play on scarcity essentially meme crypto coins for people who don't like crypto, noone cares about P/E and whatever. And there is essentially an infinite supply of such "dumb money" courtesy of the Fed.

Edited by goldbug9999
  • Agree 9

Lightscribe
15 hours ago, geordie_lurch said:

Why don't you start your own thread @Mandalorian about S&P 500 trackers etc as you seem unable to read the room here and I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of reading your endless diatribe against what this thread is specifically here to discuss and the person who created it  9_9

I don’t know, I miss Stuey. Doesn’t feel quite the same without his ramblings of slashed yields, interest rates cut to zero and property prices to the moooon. 

I think Mandalorian should stick around to see  how much US passives that are weighted in tech sell off in the forthcoming shitshow.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 5

nirvana
4 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

@nirvana all have approaches to investing that differ radically from the main thread ideas

sort of......I can be lucky at BTFD......but then i get carried away and can be a bit of a reckless gambler o.O

we all did well when oil etc dipped during convid but yeah sold that too early......

boss man @DurhamBorn is good at BTFD too....he calls it laddering though

dunno I've always liked the idea of 'buying value'........maybe that's why I refused to live in the UK a while ago o.O xD

be lucky brother bread

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 4

Jesus Wept
4 hours ago, Lightscribe said:

I don’t know, I miss Stuey. Doesn’t feel quite the same without his ramblings of slashed yields, interest rates cut to zero and property prices to the moooon. 

I think Mandalorian should stick around to see  how much US passives that are weighted in tech sell off in the forthcoming shitshow.

The Nasdaq composite is down 7.6% from its recent ALL TIME HIGH of 16538 pts

IMG_1655.thumb.jpeg.a38726d3c2442c928a7312fa66d84cdc.jpeg

It currently stands at 15282 pts - 7.6% 

The S&P is down - 5.6 % since its ATH

(-4.6% in the last month).

IMG_1654.thumb.jpeg.35efa663247748f8978367b39621488e.jpeg

Has the crash started?

What is the definition  of a crash? 

How long will it last weeks/months/years ? 

Will the contagion spread to other equities in the DOW, FTSE, STOXX, EMs and gold, oil and commodities? 

Edited by Jesus Wept
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

BadAlchemy

Not sure what all the fuss is about. There's the "Ignore User" feature. If someone believes someone else is derailing and/or missing the point of a thread then use it and filter them out... for a while or for good.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis
32 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

I don't think that is true really. For example @Frank Hovis, @WICAO, @Harley and @nirvana all have approaches to investing that differ radically from the main thread ideas (and two of them have views quite similar to yours, I believ). They are all regular(ish) and welcome contributors, and nobody else kicks up a fuss about being presented with contrary views.

I'm not saying you aren't welcome, but I think what I don't so much appreciate, is someone trying to take over the thread with lots and lots of posts, most of which are loudly telling other people what to do, rather than just talking about what the poster, himself, does.

Stuey was a bit like that when he joined the thread, telling everybody that it was much better to bet on football results, rather than this stock market malarkey. However, he did settle down once he had basked for a while in the attention he wanted.

Yes, my main investments are low fee weighted trackers in developed economies, as long as you take a long term view on these you are always going to do very well IMHO.

Though I last year started up share trading again for fun so have had more interest in this thread as a result, though it's been mainly miners, baccy and defence sticks to date.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 8

Jesus Wept
1 hour ago, BadAlchemy said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about. There's the "Ignore User" feature. If someone believes someone else is derailing and/or missing the point of a thread then use it and filter them out... for a while or for good.

I like @Mandalorian and his posts. 

Even though I have the total opposite view to him regarding my position of staying out of the market in cash for now - or his “staying fully invested and adding monthly”.

I propose building cash and going back in when the “conditions / path ahead becomes clearer”.

However his points on dividends and global trackers and cost averaging and staying 90% away from individual shares are probably all things I will take on board. 

What I would like him to do is start picking shares / funds that do 600% in 2 years - but not everyone can do that ! 

If only I knew 4 years ago what I know now ….! The knowledge gain from here has been exceptional. 

Edited by Jesus Wept
  • Agree 8

RupertT
44 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

The Nasdaq composite is down 7.6% from its recent ALL TIME HIGH of 16538 pts

It currently stands at 15282 pts - 7.6% 

The S&P is down - 5.6 % since its ATH

(-4.6% in the last month).

Has the crash started?

What is the definition  of a crash? 

10% generally taken to be a correction and 20% a crash 

• Informative 4

headrow
4 minutes ago, RupertT said:

10% generally taken to be a correction and 20% a crash 

The ftse would need to crash about 40% from here to take out the covid low.

20% would take it back to around 6600 , roughly near the levels it traded at in 2014 when I was buying every month.

I've not bought any stocks for months now , even opened a cash ISA instead of sticking it my S&S ISA. I'm quite happy accumulation cash and leaving it as cash at the moment as I feel the market is ahead of itself. I think I've entered wealth preservation mode after spending the past 15 years in accumulation mode.

A nice deep correction would suit me fine too , but Ukraine didn't even provide that .

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2

Axeman123
1 hour ago, Jesus Wept said:

Has the crash started?

We haven't seen the requisite mania yet IMO.

It could just be that even a contrarian like me has been so numbed to mania by the QE era that I didn't see it though. We haven't had the first Fed cut though, so I therefore find it hard to beleive we have seen the sentiment peak.

If anything indexes being off their highs and sentiment mixed is a prerequisite for a Fed cut, as they wouldn't want to cut into mania in an election year. In a way bearishness is bullish...

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, headrow said:

I think I've entered wealth preservation mode after spending the past 15 years in accumulation mode.

This is where we are and it's been an interesting struggle to define what that should look like.  But we have been very thorough.  We would be an FAs dream, but doubt they would be ours!  We'll keep an eye on our friends journey with one though!

We initially went into dividend investing but are unsure about that.  The 2020 crash taught us a lesson, as did our work on reward:risk, etc.  The main reason we would hold stocks for yield is to diversify from the counterparty risks of holding funds (which are not to be ignored and where we have suffered in the past).  So we've been off looking for a "better" way.

We have a small equity allocation atm.  Say about 14%, mainly in those accounts we can't easily change.  We hold about 25% in hards, mainly PMS.  We sold almost all our bonds but are buying back corporates for the yield.  The rest is in diversified cash equivalents.  We will increase our equity positions when the basic techs go positive and may also increase our single holding of gilts held to maturity.

We are currently structuring things to provide the low volatility cash flows to meet "needs" (hence certain corporates and various money market funds), combined with a mix of allocated funds and trading to meet "wants" and maybe top up the "needs" to meet inflation, etc. 

By "allocated funds" we mean certain funds, the allocation of which we will flex (from say 2% to 5% each) depending on the intermediate term techs.  We were doing this quite well last year but have various learnings to incorporate such as the optimum definition of "intermediate" and granularity of the funds.

Above all, we want a quiet life with time to devote to other things.  We want to dabble and be stimulated but not for things to consume too much time.  So a few hours a day is fine, especially as we don't have a TV licence!

PS:  And here is a direct example of my comment about posting stuff to challenge, etc myself.... 

I read that back and could hear someone say "but what about the Permanent Portfolio you were so keen on?".  Blooming good question that had me off looking for an answer and doing some sums.

The bonds bit was a particular challenge.  A bit of thought and what we've done is combined the cash and bond 25%'s to deliver our "needs", probably plus a little bit more.  We'll hold some bonds in that if/where it adds value, but short duration only atm. 

So an investment in one post and I've usefully gained further clarity.

Edited by Harley
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 5

Lightscribe
1 hour ago, wherebee said:

The other thing is to invest contrary to your personal income/work stream.  For example, if you work in real estate, and your main income depends on that, investing online in real estate linked businesses risks if the sector collapses you lose twice - your job and your investments.  

if the plates keep spinning for 3 years, I will continue to have 3 years of income from my clients and skills base.  If there is a fiat collapse/BK, consultancy work stops dead in my field, but my investments in gold miners should do pretty well.  

So for each individual, investing will have different drivers.

I’ve recently moved departments and my new role is centered around crypto and digital currency. (Some on here know) so essentially I’m doing that very thing.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 2

Jesus Wept
1 hour ago, Axeman123 said:

We haven't seen the requisite mania yet IMO.

It could just be that even a contrarian like me has been so numbed to mania by the QE era that I didn't see it though. We haven't had the first Fed cut though, so I therefore find it hard to beleive we have seen the sentiment peak.

If anything indexes being off their highs and sentiment mixed is a prerequisite for a Fed cut, as they wouldn't want to cut into mania in an election year. In a way bearishness is bullish...

I think we have - since Covid it’s been mania in the US mainly - everyone dabbling in S&S, crypto, property. Spending all that printed money. 

I think the peak in late November 2021 and subsequent drop to dec 2022 was a “bear trap”, before the final 18 month blow off and predicted / eventual massive prolonged crash. 

IMG_1665.thumb.jpeg.2041b794868af1e355db47f59f09cadb.jpeg

The graph is the classic fear and greed cycle. 

No doubt there will be a bull trap just around the US election when people think the market will recover - it may get back a little and then crash  - big falls.

IMG_1666.thumb.jpeg.ed41bc21a3435251a282ec95bd08d72d.jpeg

2025 will (edited to say -  “probably” !) see the main capitulation.  

Edited by Jesus Wept
  • Agree 6
  • Informative 1
  • Love / Hugz 1

Calcutta

I play the idea that tech works in 20-25 year cycles of innovation, investment and consolidation. Obviously haven't got many examples but where we are now looks very similar to where we were 99-00-01.

The market at large got fucked over repeatedly for a few years. A lot of big companies didn't really recover until the runup to the GFC.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

6 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

2025 will see the main capitulation

Whoops!  :S

But a tidy bit of reflexion and a very valid hypothesis.  If so, we may get the bull trap first?  That's the one that got them jumping out of windows in 1929!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

I play the idea that tech works in 20-25 year cycles of innovation, investment and consolidation. Obviously haven't got many examples but where we are now looks very similar to where we were 99-00-01.

The market at large got fucked over repeatedly for a few years. A lot of big companies didn't really recover until the runup to the GFC.

Another great one.  You can start to weave quite a good "going in hypothesis" as my McKinsey friends would call it.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 2