DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

Errol
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Noallegiance said:

The beginning of capital flight?

Capital flight to US equities is completely stupid.

People are going to get burned. Badly.

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 9

Mandalorian
23 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I like your posts, but I do sometimes think it would be more interesting if you had been posting here 4 years ago.

I just cant take you seriously,

That's a you problem, not a me problem

Mandalorian
11 hours ago, Axeman123 said:

Galloway is a fundamentally disagreeable personality, but when you see the horrors agreeable personality types have nodded along with in order not to rock the boat with regard to child transing etc, I say the importance of having a stubborn and argumentative minority of people in society is under-appreciated.

Don't really agree with much of Galloway's left wing politics.  But I do like the fact him winning that seat REALLY pissed them all off.

He's an agitator.  We need more of those.

• Agree 9

Mandalorian
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, spygirl said:

I knew it would nto be long ....

2 days later ...

SocGen trader fired for ‘unauthorised’ bets says ‘risk team and bosses’ share blame

Kavish Kataria complains he lost his bonuses and claims his options trades made money

ftcms:98e73ebf-b9e5-486f-8856-5c09300252

He claimed he had made $50mn for the bank in eight months and complained his “previous year bonuses were also withheld and I was just paid seven days salary”. “I would like to ask during all this time there was no one to check what has been happening on the desk?” he wrote. “I accept I did trade options on Indian indices and according to me it was in my mandate and well within the trading limits.” “Trading industry is so big but there are no rules or regulations which fight for trader justice,” Kataria said. SocGen declined to comment on Kataria’s statement.

If he's made that much then he'd have done something to disguise the reveal of his egg shaped head.  Hair transplants are only about £10k for a good one.

(easier to shave it off tbh)

Edited by Mandalorian
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 2

Axeman123
2 hours ago, Noallegiance said:

The beginning of capital flight?

Indeed.

Quite clever gamesmanship by the Tories though. Labour won't get the satisfaction of announcing a lefty "soak the rich policy" with a long phase in and then put off dealing with the fallout for later. Instead they will inherit the shitshow right at the start of their term for no political gain, and may even have to be the ones to unwind it with a politcally difficult pro-wealth change. A subsequent Tory govt will then be able to leave that in place knowing the issue will be off limits for Labour for a generation.

In an ideal world IMO the Labour fudge would be a return to 180+ days physical presence in a tax year as the only criteria for tax residency, perhaps discribed as a streamlining of complex rules that eliminates any preferential treatment for the wealthy. It could also be described as putting the UK on a level footing with many international comparables. The globally mobile wealthy would likely find London a lot more appealing on that basis.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 4

Mandalorian
3 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

Labour ....  may even have to be the ones to unwind it with a politcally difficult pro-wealth change.

Seriously?

None of them are pro wealth.  (Unless it's their own, held off shore)

• Agree 4

wherebee
3 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

Indeed.

Quite clever gamesmanship by the Tories though. Labour won't get the satisfaction of announcing a lefty "soak the rich policy" with a long phase in and then put off dealing with the fallout for later. Instead they will inherit the shitshow right at the start of their term for no political gain, and may even have to be the ones to unwind it with a politcally difficult pro-wealth change. A subsequent Tory govt will then be able to leave that in place knowing the issue will be off limits for Labour for a generation.

In an ideal world IMO the Labour fudge would be a return to 180+ days physical presence in a tax year as the only criteria for tax residency, perhaps discribed as a streamlining of complex rules that eliminates any preferential treatment for the wealthy. It could also be described as putting the UK on a level footing with many international comparables. The globally mobile wealthy would likely find London a lot more appealing on that basis.

Even as a non-wealthy bod, I remain aware and cautious of the UK tax regime grabbing me if I spent too many days there.  I had a very ill aunt (died recently) who I might have had to go back and look after - one of the impacts would have been me being caught by the UK regime.

Meanwhile those who can afford tax planners breeze in and out to events all year without giving a fig

• Agree 4
  • Vomit 1

Shamone
11 hours ago, Loki said:

Fucking state of it

You’re just jelly cos you can’t afford sunnies like that.

• Lol 3

Axeman123
3 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Seriously?

None of them are pro wealth.  (Unless it's their own, held off shore)

Fair enough, "pro-wealth" is what I should have put. Anti-capital-flight without getting coercive would be more accurate though.

If real capital flight sets in Labour are going to have some difficult decisions.

• Campaign on moderating the non-dom changes, or offsetting them in some way.
  • Lie, and then flip as soon as they get in.
  • Both these options then force tax rises or spending cuts on them to offset.
  • Get backed into a corner and have a really bad economic time, without even the satisfaction of being the ones to put the boot in first.
10 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Even as a non-wealthy bod, I remain aware and cautious of the UK tax regime grabbing me if I spent too many days there.  I had a very ill aunt (died recently) who I might have had to go back and look after - one of the impacts would have been me being caught by the UK regime.

Meanwhile those who can afford tax planners breeze in and out to events all year without giving a fig

It can be as little as 16 days in the tax year AIUI, which is ridiculous.

• Informative 2

DurhamBorn
56 minutes ago, wherebee said:

jesus, if @DurhamBorn is listening to me on anything financial we're all fucked.  I'm betting on the mendacity of Australian politicians under pressure when the lights go out, not some complex roadmap xD

I had been looking for LNG exposure as i think the US will limit exports in time and look decent longer term value.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 6

Harley
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

I had been looking for LNG exposure as i think the US will limit exports in time and look decent longer term value.

I see it bounced on @wherebee tip (oh yes, holding you to that one 'cause a larf trumps fair!) and your purchase but IMO still a (slightly less) shite time to buy.  But what do I know, you can't time the markets,.....! :)

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

ThoughtCriminal

This seems like one of the best summaries of money creation I've seen. Has he been featured on here before?  Starts at 5.50

• Agree 5
  • Informative 3
  • Love / Hugz 1

M S E Refugee

I raised some cash this morning and got rid of some funds exposed to China,Hong Kong and Taiwan.

After the Russia debacle I'm a bit jittery about owning assets in those Countries.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 4
  • Cheers 1

Pip321
18 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

.Iv bought some Woodside Energy with the divi in the SIPP seeing as the thread is pushing it,fag divi into oil and gas.ISA one withdrawn.

Are you buying the Woodside Energy listed on LSE under the ticker WDS or another version held elsewhere….

Imagine @wherebee has the Australian listing. 

Asking for a friend 😉

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Pip321
46 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

This seems like one of the best summaries of money creation I've seen. Has he been featured on here before?  Starts at 5.50

Thanks for posting……nice to hear an ‘argument’ where the listener listens.

Lots of interesting points and money creation is clearly the point….particularly when used for financial transactions ie buying assets rather than for production/technology innovation etc..

But my favourite

”Has the UK got a finance curse?”

“Is this a trick question, because the UK doesn’t have finance. The city of London has and it’s not part of the UK”

“It’s also not even part of the EU…it’s the banks that have the vote” Since 1688 the banking system is not part of the sovereign state.

Gold it is then…..😂

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 2