DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Coronavirus Economic Impact Thread

No One

I teach a class at one of those budget gyms and class numbers don't seem to be affected yet. I'm hoping for a government mandated gym shut down to be honest, that way I can not teach until this blows over without losing my classes. I did give up my class at a central London student gym though.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Metro bank is being properly hammered by the virus 

Anyone know why? 

Coins and notes are infected?) 

Aren't they paying lots of interest? Question is, why were they not hammered more

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Metro bank is being properly hammered by the virus 

Anyone know why? 

Risk Chief left after two weeks in the job. Slightly odd, to say the least.

The Idiocrat

Had a beer last night with my pal who works in London Theatreland. Ticket sales are down 30%, into losses, they're looking at cutting staff/salaries and talking about stopping shows in future, especially if a cast member becomes ill. He thinks there's a good chance he will have no pay for 6 months as the management must cut their pay if they're imposing cuts on staff.

TheCountOfNowhere
2 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

Had a beer last night with my pal who works in London Theatreland. Ticket sales are down 30%, into losses, they're looking at cutting staff/salaries and talking about stopping shows in future, especially if a cast member becomes ill. He thinks there's a good chance he will have no pay for 6 months as the management must cut their pay if they're imposing cuts on staff.

Iirc Northampton theatre received tax payer handouts. The working classs were effectively subsidising the middle class. 

Is there a free marjet anywhere? 

The Idiocrat
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Iirc Northampton theatre received tax payer handouts. The working classs were effectively subsidising the middle class. 

Is there a free marjet anywhere? 

Isn't that what the National Lottery is for?! 

TheCountOfNowhere
22 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Isn't that what the National Lottery is for?! 

Same same. 

Like housing benefit, legal aid etc

On 05/03/2020 at 22:30, gibbon said:

Gyms, one of the worst places you could catch it I'd imagine. Thin margins in a saturated market. Plus lots of people on 1 month rolling contracts so easy to cancel and then re-join at a later date.

Was actually thinking about cancelling my membership this week as I'm on a 1 month rolling contract. Thoughts?

You are correct. The gyms where one of the business types that collapsed first in 2008. There was even a BBC piece.

8 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Keep spending (and working) fuckers, the Banksters are depending on you.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/07/economic-race-to-stop-victim-coronavirus-central-bankers

From the article:

”Carney, after seven years at the Bank, is viewed as one of the UK’s most trusted public officials”.

I had to scroll down to see if @Bedrag Justesen was the author.

Cambodia has a surfeit of fresh food and drink produce here. It’s almost impossible to stop things growing in my garden for example.

That and lots of spare airline capacity is leading me to think about opportunities for  sending produce to net food importing countries.

Still, both I and the prospective buyers need to be alive for this plan to work.

Noallegiance
3 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

Still, both I and the prospective buyers need to be alive for this plan to work.

Pff. Details.

sancho panza
4 hours ago, BearyBear said:

Impressive.A friend delivers for the Coop and he was saying that some of the more ruthless managers have been taking cheaper coop own brand stuff off the shelves to drive sales of higher margin branded items.

Cant critiscise hoarders too much.Finished mine weeks back.

16 hours ago, spygirl said:

Saudi Arabia.

Allthe mental muzzers that it hosts will kick off when the  free money stops.

Been busy recently arresting a load of "coup plotters"!

Wight Flight

A LOT of firms are going to collapse.

My mate in the events logistics business has already laid off staff and is starting to sell trucks to keep cash flowing.

I doubt he will last six weeks.

Even if you think your business will be unaffected, you need to have a good look at your customers if you are B2B

Have put three of mine on stop today as I think they will struggle. Credit control will be VERY important over the next two months.

27 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

A LOT of firms are going to collapse.

My mate in the events logistics business has already laid off staff and is starting to sell trucks to keep cash flowing.

I doubt he will last six weeks.

Even if you think your business will be unaffected, you need to have a good look at your customers if you are B2B

Have put three of mine on stop today as I think they will struggle. Credit control will be VERY important over the next two months.

Do I hear rotors spooling up?

Archived