DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property crash, just maybe it really is different this time

haroldshand

22 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Easy way around that I would have though BUT DYOR.... contact the buyer, explain the situation [and that their expenses won't be paid as contracts haven't been exchanged], and offer them half [or to pay their expenses to date] to get them to withdraw. I assume the buyer can withdraw without a fee/charge at any stage up to exchange of contracts, as they don't have a contract with the EA.

22 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

The mortgage bailout (AKA energy cap) helped people through what seemed the worst period.

...but if the war continues will the government have the will/sufficient funds to do it again?...the only reason the IR went down this week was the 'follow through' of lower fuel prices a couple of months ago; Core actually increased, is predicted toi go higher, and with winter only 6 months away it could be a 'Double whammy'.

20 hours ago, One percent said:

Miras ended a bit before the 15 percent interest rates. It’s ending is what drove the mad gaiz just before the 1990 crash. 

Are you sure?...if my memory doesn't fail me I had MIRAS when rates were 15%, and MIRAS was scrapped in April 2000.

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Hi Joe,

Yes its not just flats but new builds in general, not all builders are bad but I reckon its down to the quality of the trades they are using, incorrect spec of materials and just bad workmanship.

I wouldn't buy a flat or house that's been built in the last 25 years, unless it was built by a smaller top quality company, and there's not many of those about.

If I was going to buy a house today, I would go for one of the post war council houses, strong as fuck and usually a big garden.

Would you apply the same logic to bungalows, as being single storey they are only supporting a roof?

4 hours ago, Calcutta said:

Whenever I'm in London I notice a surprising number of Mediterranean looking people, I do wonder why the hell they've bothered. Moving here from Pakistan or Sudan or one of those shitholes I can understand, but swapping olive groves and sunshine for kebab shops and knife crime seems like a ridiculous decision. 

It's almost as if being stabbed to death isn't as big a risk as some people would have you believe if you're not a gang member, isn't it? And there are plenty of places on the Med where the nice weather doesn't make up for the lack of decent jobs.

One percent
6 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Are you sure?...if my memory doesn't fail me I had MIRAS when rates were 15%, and MIRAS was scrapped in April 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_interest_relief_at_source

In the 1983 Budget Geoffrey Howe raised the tax allowance from £25,000 to £30,000. Unmarried couples with joint mortgages could pool their allowances to £60,000, a provision known as Multiple Mortgage Tax Relief. This remained in place until the 1988 Budget, when Nigel Lawson ended the option to pool allowances from August 1988. Lawson later publicly expressed regret at not having implemented the change with effect from the time of the budget, as it is generally accepted that the rush to beat the deadline fuelled a sharp increase in house prices.[3]

MIRAS was completely abolished in April 2000 by Gordon Brown, who argued it had become a middle class

4 hours ago, Calcutta said:

Whenever I'm in London I notice a surprising number of Mediterranean looking people, I do wonder why the hell they've bothered. Moving here from Pakistan or Sudan or one of those shitholes I can understand, but swapping olive groves and sunshine for kebab shops and knife crime seems like a ridiculous decision. 

Well if you have the choice to move from Sao Paulo [and look European] you may consider it a better option.

• Agree 1

Bobthebuilder
4 minutes ago, AWW said:

It's almost as if being stabbed to death isn't as big a risk as some people would have you believe if you're not a gang member, isn't it?

I've been living in London for 25 years now, going by posters on here who are scared of the place, I should be dead multiple times from stabbings by now.

I get more species and number of birds in my garden than my sister gets in her place in Dorset.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortgage_interest_relief_at_source

In the 1983 Budget Geoffrey Howe raised the tax allowance from £25,000 to £30,000. Unmarried couples with joint mortgages could pool their allowances to £60,000, a provision known as Multiple Mortgage Tax Relief. This remained in place until the 1988 Budget, when Nigel Lawson ended the option to pool allowances from August 1988. Lawson later publicly expressed regret at not having implemented the change with effect from the time of the budget, as it is generally accepted that the rush to beat the deadline fuelled a sharp increase in house prices.[3]

MIRAS was completely abolished in April 2000 by Gordon Brown, who argued it had become a middle class

Yes, that's the source I got 'April 2000' from.

One percent
4 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Yes, that's the source I got 'April 2000' from.

I think you kept it as long as you didn’t move or change your mortgage. 

14 hours ago, tank said:

London has been very marmite for as long as I can remember due to its extreme racial diversity. Some people love it, whereas others find it an overcrowded dystopian nightmare that now looks positively third world

No.  This is untrue.

Up until the Blair years, almost all of London was ethnically divided.  You certainly had jews in Muswell Hill, Afro-Caribbeans in Brixton, Italian and Greek areas, etc, but the vast vast majority was white british.  

I grew up in  Greater London.  I didn't see a black person in my borough until my teens.  My primary school was 100% white, with some gyppos thrown in.

My family was - 2 generations back on the London side - all around Putney, etc.  All white.  I remember going to see a great grandmother on a council estate in the early 70s.  All white neighbours.  Croydon used to be mostly white, and a bit posh.  I worked in a shop there in my teenage years for a family friend and the number of non whites using the shop was way less than 1%.

The lie that Britain and London was always diverse is that - a lie.

• Agree 7

58 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Multiple buyers getting tax relief on one property ended in the late 80s. I can remember people starting to rush to buy in 1987 or 88.

Tax relief for single buyers was gradually withdrawn after that.

4 hours ago, xyz said:

Sorry have to completely disagree with this. Which white areas of London are available to people with average salaries? 

Also London hasn't always been this diverse, I know since I grew up there. The Borough I'm from was one of the whitest, but now appears to be about 40% third world and that change has happened in the last 10 years. 

I've nothing against Greeks or Italians and would prefer to have more immigration from Europe, but saying they are just as British as native British people because they attended a coronation street party is completely ridiculous. 

Also I'm sure racists don't like seeing their capital city rapidly turned into a third world shithole, along with anyone else who gives a toss about the future of this country.

it was an example, and I'm not sure why it's a ridiculous one. There are plenty more examples, but your mind is obviously made up. Some bits of London have integration issues. Most places don't. My neighbour is first generation Gambian. He drives a London bus for a living. He shuns the benefits he could easily claim. Loves his new country. Third world? Yeah. Turning the place into a shithole? No.

My original point, that people who don't live in a London are so keen to tell everyone how bad it is, still stands. I don't go around telling everyone that e.g. Bradford is a shithole.

• Agree 2

King Penda
1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I've been living in London for 25 years now, going by posters on here who are scared of the place, I should be dead multiple times from stabbings by now.

I get more species and number of birds in my garden than my sister gets in her place in Dorset.

That might be true I went to school from 5/15 and in those 10 years I saw only 1 Chinese kid no half castes no blacks in any school. My grandkids won’t beleive me 

Wight Flight
8 minutes ago, AWW said:

it was an example, and I'm not sure why it's a ridiculous one. There are plenty more examples, but your mind is obviously made up. Some bits of London have integration issues. Most places don't. My neighbour is first generation Gambian. He drives a London bus for a living. He shuns the benefits he could easily claim. Loves his new country. Third world? Yeah. Turning the place into a shithole? No.

My original point, that people who don't live in a London are so keen to tell everyone how bad it is, still stands. I don't go around telling everyone that e.g. Bradford is a shithole.

Mr perception of London isn't that i am going to get stabbed, but people on the whole seem to be bloody rude and everywhere is too busy.

However London is a big place, and i only ever walk around the centre bit.

King Penda
7 minutes ago, AWW said:

I don’t want to intergrate with people from abroad I have no time for my own religion never mind other peoples .I put the Kurds bin out and say hello because if I don’t they will lob bin bags around .

• Agree 3

Lightscribe
King Penda
25 minutes ago, Lightscribe said:

At the place I’ve been for 2 weeks they just set another camaroon woman on .the new one is fucking bone idel. She is now on week 2 of shadowing they normaly get 3 days .she was recommended by the 1st. She tells me off for swearing when I’ve just got back from answering about 10 buzzers in a row in a 3 story building and it’s my job I’m like is your job to sit on your fat arse and answer none.the supervisor had to walk out of the room (he was doing paperwork).both are polite but one seems to think she has to do nothing both have a sense of entitlement and constantly pester for lifts home. They don’t take the hint I’m like I’m not going on an 8 mile detour it’s that simple 

Edited by King Penda
  • Agree 2

Bobthebuilder
18 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Mr perception of London isn't that i am going to get stabbed, but people on the whole seem to be bloody rude and everywhere is too busy.

However London is a big place, and i only ever walk around the centre bit.

When I first moved to London it took me a good few years to get a feel for the place and the people. Most of the rude people you meet tend to be visitors who have their heckles up and think they have to act a bit aggressive. I have been a passenger in a car with friends visiting, and have had to tell them to calm down and stop driving so aggressively.

As for finding everywhere busy, you need to know the places to go, next time you are up visit Temple church and fountain court in Temple gardens, a lovely peaceful place right in the middle of the city. Two security guards stand at the gated entrance to put the visitors off, but they cant stop you, just walk right past them, they will not say a thing. Samuel Pepys wrote about the spot in the mid 1600s and said "its where the birds come to play pretend country".

• Informative 3

Joncrete Cungle
36 minutes ago, King Penda said:

That might be true I went to school from 5/15 and in those 10 years I saw only 1 Chinese kid no half castes no blacks in any school. My grandkids won’t beleive me 

At my primary school there was one Indian girl, everyone else white British. At my secondary school there was one Chinese girl in my year and her older brother was in the year above. The rest of the 1000 pupils white British and one white American.

That was 1990-1999, the primary school is now about 50% non indigenous and the secondary school about 40% non indigenous.

• Agree 5

King Penda
8 minutes ago, Joncrete Cungle said:

At my primary school there was one Indian girl, everyone else white British. At my secondary school there was one Chinese girl in my year and her older brother was in the year above. The rest of the 1000 pupils white British and one white American.

That was 1990-1999, the primary school is now about 50% non indigenous and the secondary school about 40% non indigenous.

But we must embrace it.fuck that

• Agree 3

King Penda
13 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

When I first moved to London it took me a good few years to get a feel for the place and the people. Most of the rude people you meet tend to be visitors who have their heckles up and think they have to act a bit aggressive. I have been a passenger in a car with friends visiting, and have had to tell them to calm down and stop driving so aggressively.

As for finding everywhere busy, you need to know the places to go, next time you are up visit Temple church and fountain court in Temple gardens, a lovely peaceful place right in the middle of the city. Two security guards stand at the gated entrance to put the visitors off, but they cant stop you, just walk right past them, they will not say a thing. Samuel Pepys wrote about the spot in the mid 1600s and said "its where the birds come to play pretend country".

If you’ve ever seen the Canadian war memorial with a water feature in central london you might be surprised to know it’s only brown and black kids that I’ve seen parents let play in and on it .the young Canadians would probably smile if they could but that’s not the point . Fucking disrespectful cunts

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Wight Flight
19 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I agree there are several quiet places in central London if you are working there and want a peaceful break.

However i doubt i will ever visit again unless i get grandkids that want to go.

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I agree there are several quiet places in central London if you are working there and want a peaceful break.

However i doubt i will ever visit again unless i get grandkids that want to go.

I find Dorset to be changing rapidly, much more so than London, I am turning into a grumpy old man, the world has turned and left me here.

• Agree 1