DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

Wight Flight

Weymouth probably ought to be added to the list. Only 12 properties available 2+ beds.

And then there is this ...

Application Process - Due to the current high level of demand, we are asking all prospective tenants to submit an application prior to viewing. Once in receipt of an application, the landlord will shortlist those applicants to a select few, ensuring we are only conducting viewings with relevant parties.

So the losers don't even to get to look at what they could have got.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124532228#/?channel=RES_LET

• Informative 2

One percent
35 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Imagine how much cash is going to be brought in by removing SBRR for FHLs.

~8k/FHL.

Rather than 4k/2nd home.

Money, just sat there ,waiting to be taken.

Property is an illiquid asset. The government have been kind to landlords of every type.  It’s dead easy to tax though as you can’t really hide it. Well, unless you can get hold of loads of bales of hay.  xD

Frank Hovis
39 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Weymouth probably ought to be added to the list. Only 12 properties available 2+ beds.

And then there is this ...

So the losers don't even to get to look at what they could have got.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124532228#/?channel=RES_LET

I know that I'm not alone in liking Weymouth, I had many happy childhood holidays there as my grandparents had a permanent caravan there, and it's always been very unpretentious and cheap and cheerful.  This is much of its appeal along with the long sandy beach and the child friendly shelf of the bay where you can be a two hundred yards out with the water still only up to your knees and, because of its shallowness, warm.

That looks a decent house but it's now comparable with coastal Cornwall rents; e.g. this from Bolingey, a village just inland from Perranporth (and a LONG UPHILL walk back from the beach).

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124451276#/?channel=RES_LET

One percent

They can all fuckoff. They don’t care that they have priced out local people. Bring it on

https://www.thisisthecoast.co.uk/news/local-news/second-home-owners-rail-against-north-yorkshire-crackdown/?fbclid=IwAR0rjHbSUlj6EZBbtryt6k6XbCDJDxWgc9kwh--7fE2mhY2em6eLnYmTZR4

Second home owners have slammed a proposal to introduce council tax premium in North Yorkshire, saying they are “easy targets for a complicated problem”.

Just days after North Yorkshire County Council’s executive agreed to investigate whether it could effectively levy a 100 per cent council tax rise on second homes, people who have owned a holiday home in the county for decades said the move would simply make second homes the privilege of the wealthy.

Last month, residents in Whitby voted overwhelmingly in favour of introducing measures to reduce the number of homes being used for holiday accommodation. That followed last year’s Rural Commision recommending actions to reverse the ongoing exodus of young families from areas where house prices are many times above average wages.

The county council’s leadership says interventions are needed more than ever to release homes for local residents, particularly following the widely reported post-pandemic surge in second home purchases in North Yorkshire villages.

Second home owners have said if the premium is introduced they would recoup their losses by shipping in groceries instead of using local shops and services less frequently.

go on, do you worse  xD

• Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
28 minutes ago, One percent said:

Second home owners have said if the premium is introduced they would recoup their losses by shipping in groceries instead of using local shops and services less frequently.

xD

This is absolutely standard anyway.

People buy £50k motorhomes so that they can fill them with supermarket goods and never need to pay to eat out.

Second homers arrive with a boot full of groceries.

They are about as beneficial to a local area as Japanese knotweed.

• Agree 6

One percent
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

xD

This is absolutely standard anyway.

People buy £50k motorhomes so that they can fill them with supermarket goods and never need to pay to eat out.

Second homers arrive with a boot full of groceries.

They are about as beneficial to a local area as Japanese knotweed.

The worst are the ones who park for free in their camper vans not bothering with a proper, paid for pitch.  Last week apparently, one was parked on the side of the road overlooking the sea.  Walked out the van and had a piss in the street.  The other week, i was mooned by the bloke getting changed outside his van, in full view of everyone.  :Sick1:

• Agree 2

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

The worst are the ones who park for free in their camper vans not bothering with a proper, paid for pitch.  Last week apparently, one was parked on the side of the road overlooking the sea.  Walked out the van and had a piss in the street.  The other week, i was mooned by the bloke getting changed outside his van, in full view of everyone.  :Sick1:

We don't have that problem. Possibly because it is an offence to even have a cup of tea in your van, let alone sleep in it, if you aren't on a recognised pitch.

And I think the traffic wardens are fairly hot on it.

• Informative 1

@Wight Flight - what's the housing situation like where your son is in America? Are there bible belt states that have been spared most of the madness of the last two years that have happened in places like Miami?

(I will have to ask my friend in Missouri about this next time I speak to her too.)

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

@Wight Flight - what's the housing situation like where your son is in America? Are there bible belt states that have been spared most of the madness of the last two years that have happened in places like Miami?

(I will have to ask my friend in Missouri about this next time I speak to her too.)

Not something I pay a great deal of attention to. But a young couple (23ish) that he knows have just bought a nice three bed semi in a decent road - so it can't be too bad.

Rentals are plentiful because they have decent corporate landlords that just build more if there is the demand.

• Agree 1

Just now, Wight Flight said:

Not something I pay a great deal of attention to. But a young couple (23ish) that he knows have just bought a nice three bed semi in a decent road - so it can't be too bad.

Rentals are plentiful because they have decent corporate landlords that just build more if there is the demand.

Yeah I get the impression as long as you have a stable job it's more manageable than somewhere like the south of england.

And as you say there has been a lot of building happening so there isn't the severe lack of homes that we have here.

Frank Hovis
19 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I get the impression as long as you have a stable job it's more manageable than somewhere like the south of england.

And as you say there has been a lot of building happening so there isn't the severe lack of homes that we have here.

It's certainly cheap in Tennesse which is somewhere I know.

If you want to go very cheap then go a bit out of town, I searched Nashville, then here is your home and smallholding of five acres.

$160k for

• 3bed
  • 2bath
  • 700sqft700 square feet
  • 5.17acre lot

d4d8e6ff5b8898a687207161ee424f37l-m53828

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8328-Old-Pond-Creek-Rd_Pegram_TN_37143_M74951-66401

• Agree 3

Uncle Buck Rogers
3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

We don't have that problem. Possibly because it is an offence to even have a cup of tea in your van, let alone sleep in it, if you aren't on a recognised pitch.

And I think the traffic wardens are fairly hot on it.

Does that include Pikies or are you blessed by not having thier company down there?

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck Rogers said:

Does that include Pikies or are you blessed by not having thier company down there?

Yes. I think there is an official site somewhere but I have never heard anyone moan about the field occupying types.

The jungle drums are so good here I doubt they would get away with their usual antics for very long.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's certainly cheap in Tennesse which is somewhere I know.

If you want to go very cheap then go a bit out of town, I searched Nashville, then here is your home and smallholding of five acres.

$160k for

• 3bed
  • 2bath
  • 700sqft700 square feet
  • 5.17acre lot

d4d8e6ff5b8898a687207161ee424f37l-m53828

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/8328-Old-Pond-Creek-Rd_Pegram_TN_37143_M74951-66401

Wonder why?

image.png.c9f5e87107eab190ed33db6494beb9ed.png

• Lol 2

On 01/07/2022 at 15:04, Frank Hovis said:

I know that I'm not alone in liking Weymouth, I had many happy childhood holidays there as my grandparents had a permanent caravan there, and it's always been very unpretentious and cheap and cheerful.  This is much of its appeal along with the long sandy beach and the child friendly shelf of the bay where you can be a two hundred yards out with the water still only up to your knees and, because of its shallowness, warm.

That looks a decent house but it's now comparable with coastal Cornwall rents; e.g. this from Bolingey, a village just inland from Perranporth (and a LONG UPHILL walk back from the beach).

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124451276#/?channel=RES_LET

I have never been to Weymouth but spent a while investigating it because I also had the impression and am attracted by "unpretentious and cheap and cheerful. "

But can't you say the same for plymouth which i undetstand you dislike?

I am currently looking at spending some time there and the property market is insane + 50 to 100% in the last 2 years. Weymouth the same? I always think the last 2 years gain is not yet permanent though so we'll see what gov stimulus next year brings.

Weymouth property seems nicer than plymouth too. Principally because many inplymouthhave no garden at all.

Frank Hovis
45 minutes ago, BWW said:

I have never been to Weymouth but spent a while investigating it because I also had the impression and am attracted by "unpretentious and cheap and cheerful. "

But can't you say the same for plymouth which i undetstand you dislike?

I am currently looking at spending some time there and the property market is insane + 50 to 100% in the last 2 years. Weymouth the same? I always think the last 2 years gain is not yet permanent though so we'll see what gov stimulus next year brings.

Weymouth property seems nicer than plymouth too. Principally because many inplymouthhave no garden at all.

You're wrong to say that I dislike Plymouth so I apologise if I have given that impression.

Plymouth has some very nice suburbs and the whole Hoe / Barbican / Sutton Harbour area is lovely on a summer's day.  If you ever visit I recommend seeking out Crownhill fort - an intact inland Palmerston fort built to defend Plymouth from a Napoleonic landing along the coast foillowed by a land attack.

It is however a big city with some very rough areas (Stonehouse, Devonport, Mutley Plain) and doesn't really have a beach though there is the lido and some scraps of sand.

It depends upon your stage of life.  If your priority is a decent job without much travel: live in (a nice bit of) Plymouth as there are loads of jobs and good jobs there.  And it's very good for a pleasant night out.

If your priority is seaside and country walks and lazing on the beach in a town with a relaxed holiday atmosphere then it's Weymouth.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Thanks for that.

I walked through Stonehouse and noticed immediately it looked the sort of place where asbo neighbours are probable.

Mutley or at least university side seemed ok, student hmos different type of asbo crowd i suppose. maybe m.plain is further east. Houses too close together though.

People were swimming at tindide beach when i was there. think the lido was covid closed. Guessing its dog free though so maybe a shortish drive to jennycliff area will work for me. Now i.m almost an hour from n cornwall coast which is a bit too far for a swim.

Planning some trips to Plymouth and hoping the property market will become more sane next year. under supply and mad fast increases atm so good to take time and get to know some areas.

• Agree 1

On 13/07/2022 at 10:01, BWW said:

Thanks for that.

I walked through Stonehouse and noticed immediately it looked the sort of place where asbo neighbours are probable.

Mutley or at least university side seemed ok, student hmos different type of asbo crowd i suppose. maybe m.plain is further east. Houses too close together though.

People were swimming at tindide beach when i was there. think the lido was covid closed. Guessing its dog free though so maybe a shortish drive to jennycliff area will work for me. Now i.m almost an hour from n cornwall coast which is a bit too far for a swim.

Planning some trips to Plymouth and hoping the property market will become more sane next year. under supply and mad fast increases atm so good to take time and get to know some areas.

I'd be wary of Mutley, student ghetto, you'll also be competing against BTL landlords so you'll be paying way over the odds.

Be aware that it also rains a lot in Plymouth, has it's own micro climate. The rain is horizontal as well due to the sea wind so when you get caught in it you get soaked as there's no protection.

I remember there being some very nice hidden housing all over the shop right next to some of the less affluent areas. Probably old merchants houses etc

Had a quick look on rightmove, jesus everything looks far too overpriced.

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

One just came on the market here. £1,350 per month. But they will kick you out in six months.

The rude but is it is council tax band A.

Isn't that where the low paid are meant to live?

16 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

One just came on the market here. £1,350 per month. But they will kick you out in six months.

I do wonder if Truss is going to get on with abolishing S21 or if it's going to be kicked into the long grass again and ignored until after the next general election. May promised to abolish S21 in April 2019, two prime ministers later and no bill has been presented to Parliament.

We rent in Scotland, it is nice knowing that S21 is not possible.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Darude said:

I do wonder if Truss is going to get on with abolishing S21 or if it's going to be kicked into the long grass again and ignored until after the next general election. May promised to abolish S21 in April 2019, two prime ministers later and no bill has been presented to Parliament.

We rent in Scotland, it is nice knowing that S21 is not possible.

I think, for me, removing s21 would be the worst possible decision.

Rents would go through the roof.

I enjoyed the (asymetric) six month notice period during lockdown. Making that the norm would be my preferred solution.

4 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

That's barely 1% of annual salary. Pretty cheap really... xD

Surely it’s a better use of resources to have holiday lets instead of permanent homes. It means that say 30 families can enjoy a week at the beach instead of one greedy local family hogging the place for the whole year.

That’s probably why holiday lets are encouraged by the tax system.

I’m rather disgusted by all these homes for locals schemes though. Isn’t it self evident that all men are created equal with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Apparently not to these scum councils who deny equality and shower riches on the people who did nothing for it except being lucky enough to be born in a desirable area.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1