DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rental nightmare in coastal Cornwall (and coastal Devon, IoW)

Frank Hovis

1 hour ago, MightyTharg said:

Surely it’s a better use of resources to have holiday lets instead of permanent homes. It means that say 30 families can enjoy a week at the beach instead of one greedy local family hogging the place for the whole year.

That’s probably why holiday lets are encouraged by the tax system.

I’m rather disgusted by all these homes for locals schemes though. Isn’t it self evident that all men are created equal with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Apparently not to these scum councils who deny equality and shower riches on the people who did nothing for it except being lucky enough to be born in a desirable area.

That's what hotels, holiday and parks are there for.

As it stands in Cornwall, and in the IoW @Wight Flight, you have the holidaymakers in teh trhee bed houses and the locals forced to resort to living year round in caravans.

I appreciate that's a tongue in cheek post but I have read similar said in total seriousness by holiday let owners.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, MightyTharg said:

Surely it’s a better use of resources to have holiday lets instead of permanent homes. It means that say 30 families can enjoy a week at the beach instead of one greedy local family hogging the place for the whole year.

That’s probably why holiday lets are encouraged by the tax system.

I’m rather disgusted by all these homes for locals schemes though. Isn’t it self evident that all men are created equal with the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Apparently not to these scum councils who deny equality and shower riches on the people who did nothing for it except being lucky enough to be born in a desirable area.

That's fine just as long as the holidaymakers don't mind doing a shift at the restaurant, on the bins and in the nursing homes whilst they are on holiday.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

That's fine just as long as the holidaymakers don't mind doing a shift at the restaurant, on the bins and in the nursing homes whilst they are on holiday.

I thought they brought their own food so they didn’t need restaurants. If you are going to consistently whine, at least make your whines consistent.

Seriously though, regarding access to housing, If we are to believe that “no blacks, no dogs, no Irish” is bad and should be illegal, then how is “no mainlanders” or “no Inlanders” not only OK but enforced by the government.

The people who voted for this need to be put in prison.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MightyTharg said:

I thought they brought their own food so they didn’t need restaurants. If you are going to consistently whine, at least make your whines consistent.

Seriously though, regarding access to housing, If we are to believe that “no blacks, no dogs, no Irish” is bad and should be illegal, then how is “no mainlanders” or “no Inlanders” not only OK but enforced by the government.

The people who voted for this need to be put in prison.

I am consistent. I have always said I like the tourists. They bring revenue, and keep the restaurants and bars busy and open.

I am not so keen on Air BnB and second homes.

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I am consistent. I have always said I like the tourists. They bring revenue, and keep the restaurants and bars busy and open.

They have to have Air BnB or second homes because the scummy locals won’t let them have a cup of tea in their camper vans! 

• Lol 1

1 minute ago, MightyTharg said:

They have to have Air BnB or second homes because the scummy locals won’t let them have a cup of tea in their camper vans! 

They can if they park in an official site.

They just can't block up all the car parks and lay-bys

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

Agree with this, to an extent. But I preferred it when we had visitors to Cornwall, rather than the tourists of the last 20 odd years. Very differing in culture.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Agree with this, to an extent. But I preferred it when we had visitors to Cornwall, rather than the tourists of the last 20 odd years. Very differing in culture.

We have the advantage of a moat which is very expensive to cross, and naturally controls visitor numbers.

Edited by Wight Flight
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/07/2022 at 13:11, Frank Hovis said:

xD

This is absolutely standard anyway.

People buy £50k motorhomes so that they can fill them with supermarket goods and never need to pay to eat out.

Second homers arrive with a boot full of groceries.

They are about as beneficial to a local area as Japanese knotweed.

Speaking of Japanese knotweed:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11674447/Furniture-designer-Japanese-knotweed-shed-700k-home-successfully-sues-seller.html

Few things I don't understand about this story.

1. How does a 30 year old designer afford a £700k starter home. Looks to be a bit of a chinless wonder so I suspect he was given most of it by parents.

2. Japanese knotweed can be removed at a cost of around one twentieth of the £200k fine amount, by any ripoff knotweed removal company.

• Informative 2

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Speaking of Japanese knotweed:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11674447/Furniture-designer-Japanese-knotweed-shed-700k-home-successfully-sues-seller.html

Few things I don't understand about this story.

1. How does a 30 year old designer afford a £700k starter home. Looks to be a bit of a chinless wonder so I suspect he was given most of it by parents.

2. Japanese knotweed can be removed at a cost of around one twentieth of the £200k fine amount, by any ripoff knotweed removal company.

What kind of people take a course to embark on a career in furniture design? People who already rich.

£200k is legal bills innit.

I've seen loads of knotweed successfully killed on one local walk where it had previously been common, this is an old mining area and it seems to love the broken stony ground.

I know someone who used to treat it, I don't think it's difficult.

You inject a particular weedkiller into its growing stems in the spring (Glyco something). That usually kills it and if not then the same treatment next year will definitely do it.

It's odd that they call Raynes Park an "affluent" area, I lived near it for a few years and it's absolutely standard suburbia: red brick terraced houses, fairly quiet, reasonable place to live.

That a decent sized house with a big garden costs £700k in London even tells you that it isn't an affluent area.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What kind of people take a course to embark on a career in furniture design? People who already rich.

£200k is legal bills innit.

I've seen loads of knotweed successfully killed on one local walk where it had previously been common, this is an old mining area and it seems to love the broken stony ground.

I know someone who used to treat it, I don't think it's difficult.

You inject a particular weedkiller into its growing stems in the spring (Glyco something). That usually kills it and if not then the same treatment next year will definitely do it.

It's odd that they call Raynes Park an "affluent" area, I lived near it for a few years and it's absolutely standard suburbia: red brick terraced houses, fairly quiet, reasonable place to live.

That a decent sized house with a big garden costs £700k in London even tells you that it isn't an affluent area.

Yes glyphosate also known as Roundup also known as pretty much any weedkiller brand you can buy in any garden centre. The only difference is that they use the commercial grade that farmers use so slightly stronger and you need a PA2 license which costs about £300 and takes a few days to do the course. It is a complete racket, the kind of thing that you just cannot see other countries doing, only here in the UK would we pay thousands to a company to put down some weedkiller that you can buy yourself for £10 off Amazon.

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Yes glyphosate also known as Roundup also known as pretty much any weedkiller brand you can buy in any garden centre. The only difference is that they use the commercial grade that farmers use so slightly stronger and you need a PA2 license which costs about £300 and takes a few days to do the course. It is a complete racket, the kind of thing that you just cannot see other countries doing, only here in the UK would we pay thousands to a company to put down some weedkiller that you can buy yourself for £10 off Amazon.

That's what I'll do if I find any then.

For all that it was singled out and killed on the walk I mentioned (Great Flat Lode if anyone knows it, big loop south of Camborne / Redruth) it was no more invasive than, say, bracken.

I know that it's a non-native species but so is rhodedendron and we don't find councils requesting the public report that to them before despatching trained kill squads to remove it.

10 hours ago, spunko said:

Needs several years of stem-injection treatment to completely get rid. Any cut down plant material has to stay on site as it can regenerate from just a tiny bit. Hence why it speads so rapidly down streams and rivers (choking river banks). Nothing grows under it once it's taken hold.
Cornwall Council had a knotweed team until a few years ago, would treat any reported outbreak on council land or highways. But no longer, seen now as an invasive plant we have to learn to live with.

• Informative 3

• 5 months later...
Frank Hovis

It's no longer regularly on the news but I keep seeing appeals for rentals on social media and this one, a no fault eviction after a lengthy tenancy, serves to underline how mental have been the increases.

Though tbf a three bed semi would be more like £1,400.

Newquay family being 'split up' after eviction from home of 10 years

The mum-of-two currently pays £850 a month for the four-bedroom home and faces rents of around £3,000 for a similar size property nearby - which she could never afford.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/newquay-family-being-split-up-8615520

On 21/07/2023 at 11:32, Frank Hovis said:

It's no longer regularly on the news but I keep seeing appeals for rentals on social media and this one, a no fault eviction after a lengthy tenancy, serves to underline how mental have been the increases.

The mum-of-two currently pays £850 a month for the four-bedroom home and faces rents of around £3,000 for a similar size property nearby - which she could never afford.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/newquay-family-being-split-up-8615520

Mum with 14p ... relocates to low/no job town by the sea...

Combination of kids being 18+ and a scratter moving somewhere nice with tax payer footing the bill.

A devastated mum is facing more than a £2,000 rent increase after being evicted from the home she's lived in for ten years. Joni Cartright, 50, moved to Trencreek, near Newquay, with her partner and two children a decade ago

We're still dealing with all the trauma from that," she said. "The last time we went through something like this the kids (now 23 and 19) were really young and we had each other so were able to shelter them from it but it's bringing all those memories back.

riser17063 DAYS AGO

Sorry to hear it but it's not a special case. We just have to get on with it and keep going. If your kids are old enough to live elsewhere, then a four bed house isn't needed, and honestly, £850 per month for a four bed home for the last decade is ridiculously cheap, and no one saved up any money, no one was prepared for anything like this? This has been a story around the country. If you can get help, fantastic, if not, you gotta do what everyone else does and get on with it. The council should help if you got kids, but it doesn't sound like they're young enough to require it. Sorry this has happened, but I'm so desensitised to these things now, it's too common

• Agree 3

jojo6662 DAYS AGO
Reply to sc-12 - view message

Thank you so so much my daughter and her fiancee lived with us to help them save up for their start in life as did u when I was younger they were planning on leaving in couple years but have had to move to her fiancee mums in Polperro having to leave their jobs and my other daughter is going back into education so I will do anything for my children some keyboard warriors need to stop being bullies they wouldn't say it to my face to why do it publicly I am known as newquay mum by alot of people in town as I care and look out for people I have lived here for twenty years and we were promised by the landlord he would sell to us even with the holes in the walls where the rats would come in hence to complaint to the council and no epc and gas check for 9yrs then boom said now he wouldn't sell to me, he's such a cruel man wish I was able to share the state of how we stayed to support him keep his home and due to us last seeing Simon there and promised security he said it before then apologised prefusely and promised we were safe so I never thought it would come to this .. I feel so lost thank you so much for your kind words I had five jobs last year so I work hard and the fact that I'm judged for nose piercings and told to put my baby to sleep.. Keyboard warriors hide and feel powerful with words... Words hurt thank you once again there's so much people don't know

Lived .. but had benefits HB...

She even pulls the usual-

jojo6662 DAYS AGO

It is a two or three we are looking for all of us work and have been seperate now due to this for the first time as my daughter and her fiancee were saving so yes family sticks together and I work very hard very hard five jobs the house is in disrepair hence the price this was reported many years ago and we have been looking since we were then told is t has always been the same and please to the 'person' if you can call yourself that you said put the cat down well shame some mothers cannot do the same for some awful people, but I would never stoop so low family is family and that's how it should be keyboard warriors yet again at a families expense think if you were in the situation I work hard have alot of pride and have been looking so please think how hurtful comments can be people before commenting

One percent
On 21/07/2023 at 11:32, Frank Hovis said:

I wonder how much her nails cost?   

• Agree 2

One percent
4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Earning 70k+ nmw x 5 - and still can't afford to rent....

Nose ring.

Priorities.  All wrong. I guess she thinks she’s worth it.  

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Priorities.  All wrong. I guess she thinks she’s worth it.  

Couple of posters could be me. They are not ...

16fairfield2 DAYS AGO

Why is it brave to come to CL? Why should people not live within their means as far as possible? They are not a special case the children are not young , yes it is admirable to want to stay together but they don't need a 4 bed house and they are obviously not at the top of the housing need list. They were lucky to have had somewhere "cheap" for the last few years. Life is sadly hard but why do they think they are special? Lots of families are in much worse situations - sadly.

16fairfield2 DAYS AGO

They are not brave in the true sense of the word - they are after getting something they are not entitled to (whether that is right is a different matter) by going for publicity. They know they will be subject to certain comments (and so do CL which is why they publish it) but still want to be in the "limelight". There has to be better ways to get accomodation - others families do it without resorting to this. Its 3 adults not a mother with young children.

It's literally mum on uc with 14p in Newquay.

I'd bet big money she's a Brummy.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
Frank Hovis

Council reduced to begging for somehwere to rent for three elderly women made homeless by a fire.

"The three women, one of whom is 91, were forced to leave all their belongings behind when they were evacuated from the Enys Quay retirement housing and, despite the best efforts of the City Council and its partners, so far we have not been able to find any suitable accommodation for them in the city.

"All three women are currently in temporary emergency accommodation in other parts of Cornwall but all desperately want to return to Truro as soon as possible. We would like to hear from anyone who has a flat or any other single unit in the city which is available for use now.

"The units will need to be fully furnished. One of the women has mobility issues and so would need ground floor accommodation.

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/23694677.truro-city-council-looking-housing-women-fire/

This is ridiculously bad, as bad as it was during lockdown and I keep seeing appeals for rentals in seaside towns.

I know it's the town council but they will be in contact with Cornwall Council housing and also HAs and there is not a single place in Truro suitable for these people.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

One percent
20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Council reduced to begging for somehwere to rent for three elderly women made homeless by a fire.

"The three women, one of whom is 91, were forced to leave all their belongings behind when they were evacuated from the Enys Quay retirement housing and, despite the best efforts of the City Council and its partners, so far we have not been able to find any suitable accommodation for them in the city.

"All three women are currently in temporary emergency accommodation in other parts of Cornwall but all desperately want to return to Truro as soon as possible. We would like to hear from anyone who has a flat or any other single unit in the city which is available for use now.

"The units will need to be fully furnished. One of the women has mobility issues and so would need ground floor accommodation.

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/23694677.truro-city-council-looking-housing-women-fire/

This is ridiculously bad, as bad as it was during lockdown and I keep seeing appeals for rentals in seaside towns.

I know it's the town council but they will be in contact with Cornwall Council housing and also HAs and there is not a single place in Truro suitable for these people.

All these stories are beginning to sound like problem/reaction/solution. Where exactly is the sudden pressure coming from in a place like Truro?   I doubt it will be the new British. It could be second homes and fhl. More than likely, the establishment is planning a bonfire of planning laws. Not that I’m an untrusting cynic of course 

• Agree 5

Frank Hovis
1 minute ago, One percent said:

All these stories are beginning to sound like problem/reaction/solution. Where exactly is the sudden pressure coming from in a place like Truro?   I doubt it will be the new British. It could be second homes and fhl. More than likely, the establishment is planning a bonfire of planning laws. Not that I’m an untrusting cynic of course 

Tbf it's been really bad for years, as with the coastal towns.

As you say it isn't the "new British" but it is the retirees with money pricing locals out plus the wfh crowd during lockdown.

I know someone on a good kick who was losing their rental in Truro and had a long search for a new one, it looking for a while that she would have to move which would have been difficult (kids in schools, clubs).

They were a respectable family with a good income with the only real sticking point being that they had a dog.  They did get one in the end after several months looking and with the clock ticking down on their existing home.

This was maybe eight years ago before the Lockdown influx.

The "solution" in most cases is moving to somewhere much less nice as that's going to be a lot cheaper and rentals are freely available: Liskeard, Camborne / Redruth and so on.  There are a lot of new builds going up around any decent sixed town in Cornwall but again these will probably be bought by retirees leaving the generally low paid locals to scrap over any up for rent.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

One percent
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Tbf it's been really bad for years, as with the coastal towns.

As you say it isn't the "new British" but it is the retirees with money pricing locals out plus the wfh crowd during lockdown.

I know someone on a good kick who was losing their rental in Truro and had a long search for a new one, it looking for a while that she would have to move which would have been difficult (kids in schools, clubs).

They were a respectable family with a good income with the only real sticking point being that they had a dog.  They did get one in the end after several months looking and with the clock ticking down on their existing home.

This was maybe eight years ago before the Lockdown influx.

The "solution" in most cases is moving to somewhere much less nice as that's going to be a lot cheaper and rentals are freely available: Liskeard, Camborne / Redruth and so on.  There are a lot of new builds going up around any decent sixed town in Cornwall but again these will probably be bought by retirees leaving the generally low paid locals to scrap over any up for rent.

Yep. There are massive amounts of newbuild going up here. Four significant sized estates either just finished or halfway to completion.  Strangely, the number of people registered as residents has actually decreased in the last ten years.  

• Agree 1