DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 3)

spunko

Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, kibuc said:

Keep in mind, the purchase was made before or on the 25th when Poly was still flying relatively high in low-mid 700s. They are 50% down on their investment already.
https://www.polymetalinternational.com/upload/iblock/809/2022_03_01_TR-1_(Blackrock)_eng.pdf

They were fuming they were in the red at 1100 so bought the 700 to bring their average price down to 900, to try escape quicker. If they double their holding at 300 they can get their escape average down to 600!

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

They were fuming they were in the red at 1100 so bought the 700 to bring their average price down to 900, to try escape quicker. If they double their holding at 300 they can get their escape average down to 600!

Hey that's been my strategy. Saying something wrong with it?

19 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

Anyone still laddering into Poly ?

16 foot ladder down the 13 foot deep hole | excavated 2 feet… | Flickr

No, the difference there is that has the potential to be a bottomless pit!

leonardratso
22 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

That's dated 31st Dec and not in the HL list but there's no date there

ah so i see, good spot. maybe they got shot of it or it never was there.

anyway i rang lloyds, they just said feck off its fucked, well, not in so many words, but they said their dealers were looking at it to try and see what they can do as an alternative, so basically looks like counter party moscow isnt dealing, might come back might not,

In other news EVRAZ is fine since its a uk co.

Fine if you like 80% loss that is.

Wheres poly in all this?

leonardratso

so for now, ill have to write off gazp, put in the bad list there will you, add it to ukog, but hang on just take cna out for now.

1 hour ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

A part of the reason for BP and Shell getting rid of Russian assets. They'd have had a larger share price decline keeping hold of them in the short term as woke investment groups sell shares they hold on behalf of others as a loss. Easy to take a loss with other people's money.

Agree with others that it is nuts for the Government to encourage business to give away assets.

I have been thinking about the comments regarding gambling or investing.

I don't like to think of myself as a gambler but a couple of my key investing techniques are 

• Weigh up risks better than the market effectively in times of an emotionally driven market
  • Make use of anti-woke thinking to profit from 'woke idiots' (in quotes as it might be me who is the idiot)

When I stood back and looked at this it's clear I need to make bold decisions now in things like POLY. After weighing up the information available to me; it is high risk geopolitically but the company is not Russian (so there is some value) and there seems to be woke virtue signalling going on by woke fund managers and woke politicians who are willing to lose other people's money for 'the cause'.

I had the opportunity to swap 403 shares in TGA with 985 shares in POLY today which I did.

One month ago I would have got 168 POLY shares.

This morning I was 17% down in my portfolio from my Jan 20th peak and my average cost per POLY share is now 575p.

Today currently further 3% down.

19 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Wrong!...they bought the second trance as the [potential] divi yield had increased by ~60%!

Democorruptcy
5 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

ah so i see, good spot. maybe they got shot of it or it never was there.

The strange thing is that the top few holdings are identical %'s at both. Surely buying or selling what would be their largest holding, hasn't also changed those %'s?

Noallegiance
55 minutes ago, Majorpain said:

I think that its going to start with a 1 at end of week,

Trigger finger poised over Gazprom if that gets to $1.xx.

It touched into it today.

What a buy that would be, asset-wise.

Morally questionable, but they're going to be fine long-term even if they sell zero product to the west. They'll do what they're going to do with or without my £s anyway.

If western investors aren't allowed to hold it, so be it. 

But if they are it's a company that produces the stuff that this thread is all about. And it's a solid dividend payer that's 70% off right now.

Democorruptcy
14 minutes ago, 23rdian said:

Hey that's been my strategy. Saying something wrong with it?

It can result in escape (or even profit) sometimes. Others well....

Anyone buying/own something in Aluminium? I'm looking for something that hasn't already turned in to a meme stock :ph34r:

(apologies in advance for mentioning something that isn't dropping 50% each day)

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

leonardratso
15 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

The strange thing is that the top few holdings are identical %'s at both. Surely buying or selling what would be their largest holding, hasn't also changed those %'s?

hmm lloyds data says;

https://www.investments.lloydsbank.com/investment-trust-centre/details/GB0003165817/JE95

Top 10 Holdings

Top 10 Holdings
Security Weight
Mec co 3.40%
Raito kogyo co 3.20%
Benefit one inc 3.00%
Taiyo yuden co 2.80%
Litalico inc 2.60%
Monogatari corp 2.50%
Iriso electronics co 2.30%
Visional inc 2.20%
Raksul inc 2.10%
Cosmos pharmaceutical corp 1.90%

11 minutes ago, planit said:

When I stood back and looked at this it's clear I need to make bold decisions now in things like POLY

Exactly, everyone's a contrarian till they get smacked in the face

leonardratso
3 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

What's happening with ABDN ?

Market Summary > Abrdn PLC
197.08 GBX-27.60 (-12.28%)past 5 days
1 Mar, 11:21 GMT • Disclaimer
LON: ABDN

maybe they bought POLY on the dip, with side orders of EVR and gazprom

Democorruptcy
8 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

It was reported they were unable to find a buyer for £5m of Rosneft but that's a not that big?

Democorruptcy
20 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

hmm lloyds data says;

https://www.investments.lloydsbank.com/investment-trust-centre/details/GB0003165817/JE95

Top 10 Holdings

Top 10 Holdings
Security Weight
Mec co 3.40%
Raito kogyo co 3.20%
Benefit one inc 3.00%
Taiyo yuden co 2.80%
Litalico inc 2.60%
Monogatari corp 2.50%
Iriso electronics co 2.30%
Visional inc 2.20%
Raksul inc 2.10%
Cosmos pharmaceutical corp 1.90%

No date? All the providers should date their lists, so people know which is closest to up to date.

geordie_lurch
12 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

I bought them a few weeks ago so it's probably my fault :$

12 hours ago, wherebee said:

Back to the macro discussions:

GDXJ and PSLV both risen steadily all week.  PSLV looking the strongest for some time (I have it in my metals section as a long term hold; been in the red for a while).

Hard to say whether it's the war or the rotation into PMs, I suspect both.  I wish I had picked up more GDXJ (I sold a bunch at 46, picked up some again at 38).

I've sadly divested of almost all things Canadian and moved to alternatives.  Sprott is great but I don't trust those holding their metals (or rather those making up their rules).

11 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

I know most on this thread now prefer to put everything on red or black,but for those who are trying to build a diverse portfolio im going to start buying this Investment Trust.

JP Morgan Japan Small Cap Growth and Income Trust (JSGI) .

I really like Japan this cycle,and i havent really got around to investing in it.Iv decided this is a good place to start as it offers the quarterly divis.They pay 4% of assets pa and its trading at a 9% discount so roughly a 4.4% yield here.

Japan has had to become very very efficient due to a long deflation and China,but some inflation should help them.The downside is they have few natural resources so will be hit with commod/energy inflation,but should manage it better than most.

These investment trusts are becoming a bigger part of my portfolio,but still small.I intend to grow them.Im prepared to give up some returns to have more diverse regions in holdings.Il be looking for exposure to bigger Jap companies as well.

Specifically small company?

4 hours ago, Barnsey said:

Thanks for the recommendation, my work AVC scheme is being butchered in the name of social responsibility so I've finally plucked up the courage to transfer it out into a SIPP with my S&S ISA provider ii. Starting off with this one along with Henderson Far East, Murray Intl and Blackrock Latin America, along with a few chunks of hefty dividend shares. 

Are you watching the trusts' premiums and discounts?  Nothing better than buying into all those historic holdings at a discount! :)

1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

This is a long bow in ordinary times but given gofundme donors are domestic terrorists is it not possible that people buying Soviet linked shares could be singled out in the same way?

And China when that kicks off....and most other places as they lock us down.

Archived