DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Individual house thread

Frank Hovis

6 hours ago, One percent said:

Not in this country and the price is eye watering. I like it though

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-12421969/Diane-Sawyer-lists-Marthas-Vineyard-beachfront-estate-24M.html

Diane Sawyer hopes to turn a $19 million profit on her Martha's Vineyard estate, named 'Chip Chop' as she listed the stunning property on the market. The actress, 77, has listed the 20-acre beachfront property, which includes several houses and two private stretches of beach, for $24 million.

image.jpeg.13310b911bd93858c369dd4b7066fed9.jpeg

See if you can snare a rich tourist 

With a crooked smile
On 15/08/2023 at 12:39, One percent said:

Im posting this because of the massive increase in price. On for 900k (just reduced). Last sold 275 in 2015.  
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/135161465#/?channel=RES_BUY

Exactly the sort.of thing my wife and I plan to go for in the future when we bring everything together in very early "retirement".

Decent main house and circa 50k gross income from the second.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

With a crooked smile

I started a new business recently its doing pretty well, for some reason on the Facebook page I get lots of adverts for Scottish and Northern Irish properties (I don't get this on my personal page).

@JoeDavolacomments about the number of English buyers going over. If this one that came up in my feed is typical I can see why.

So @JoeDavolawhy should someone not buy this is the location rough or just a bit to remote for employment?

Looks like a bargain to uneducated English eyes.

https://www.propertypal.com/170-gortgole-road-portglenone-ballymena/805649?fbclid=IwAR2NZgHLfjjuofQyAhuABeQ3msE3ZAuWdq3tzmwEJn67TiCHKhKpcDwniRc

Wight Flight
12 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

I started a new business recently its doing pretty well, for some reason on the Facebook page I get lots of adverts for Scottish and Northern Irish properties (I don't get this on my personal page).

@JoeDavolacomments about the number of English buyers going over. If this one that came up in my feed is typical I can see why.

So @JoeDavolawhy should someone not buy this is the location rough or just a bit to remote for employment?

https://www.propertypal.com/170-gortgole-road-portglenone-ballymena/805649?fbclid=IwAR2NZgHLfjjuofQyAhuABeQ3msE3ZAuWdq3tzmwEJn67TiCHKhKpcDwniRc

I really wouldn't want to heat that in winter. Bills will be eye-watering.

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Horses for courses I guess. I'll never forget throwing a party in a 5 bedroom 3 reception Edwardian house with high ceilings and no double glazing. Someone I know who did EPCs came in and exclaimed about what the heating bills must be like. Another friend remarked later that he thought the bloke was an idiot and he'd love to live in a house like that one.

As I get older I do think about costs of things like energy more but I also tend to think if I can earn x on the side simply and easily and that pays for y then let's go for it.

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Horses for courses I guess. I'll never forget throwing a party in a 5 bedroom 3 reception Edwardian house with high ceilings and no double glazing. Someone I know who did EPCs came in and exclaimed about what the heating bills must be like. Another friend remarked later that he thought the bloke was an idiot and he'd love to live in a house like that one.

As I get older I do think about costs of things like energy more but I also tend to think if I can earn x on the side simply and easily and that pays for y then let's go for it.

15 years ago my gas bills were about £8k a year.

Electricity about half that.

And the house was never warm in winter.

Yes, it was a great house, but you need an awful lot of spare cash just to live in it.

With a crooked smile
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

15 years ago my gas bills were about £8k a year.

How? Wtf were you doing to use that amount? As a kid I remember having to bring down duvets to the living room when growing up.

With a crooked smile
28 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Tagging @belfastchildfor input as well.

With a crooked smile
16 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I think over in NI they had some kind of logburner, biomass heating scam going on for rural properties at something. Some sort of subsidy from Stormont that wasn't well planned out.

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

How? Wtf were you doing to use that amount? As a kid I remember having to bring down duvets to the living room when growing up.

16 room 15th century listed house.

Living room was 40 * 20.

Single glazed. Wattle and daub walls. Heated by a gas fired AGA.

Draughty as fuck.

• Informative 2

With a crooked smile
9 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Heated by a gas fired AGA.

Ahh there's many a cottage I've looked at on Rightmove and immediately discounted on the basis of having an AGA when you see the energy consumption stats on those are incredible... 

Edited by With a crooked smile

45 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

1 - it's a new build.  shitty.  if done wrong, it'll rot out from under you in the belfast weather in a decade.

2 - it's completely wrong for the climate.  northern irish housing is low and squat for a reason - for 6-9 months of the year it's all about keeping heat in.  That means low ceilings, small windows, etc.

3 - looking at the terrain, it isn't a high spot.  It might well be a low spot.  that means pooling of water in the winter and spring.  *edit*.  looking at the map, there is a river right next to it.  Note no other houses are that close to the river.  Hello flooding risk.

4 - Area's OK, in my view.  A bit away from the border, so less chance of digging up an IRA gun dump...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

belfastchild
45 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Ive told the story before about how I remember a developer building an estate of 250k houses up near the airport. I actually met the guy and asked what the actual fuck, who on earth would pay 250k for a house in NI and he said he wasnt marketing in NI, he was marketing in london as that was fuck all for them and they could fly in and out every week, have their wife and kids stay in a lovely big house, with good schools (templepatrick) and look out at fields every morning.

I just clicked on that and went 'fuck me half a million quid, what the actual fuck?'. Its in the arse hole of nowhere (portglenone) and for that sort of money Id expect a decent acreage as well, like at least 10 of them.
Of course if you market it in England its an absolute fucking bargain, right next to the river and not far from marinas, 10 mins or so from the hills/mountains and not that much more to the north coast. Great for fishing, watersports and anything outdoors, an hour away from Belfast which local people think you need a passport to visit and so on. The only people who would buy that locally are people within a 10 mile radius as most buy close to family and if they had that sort of money to spend would probably do as the people who are selling did (maybe?) and get some land and build on it instead.

This is either next door or part of their business https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/features/foxborough-bubble-den-spend-a-serene-night-under-the-co-antrim-sky-at-this-hideaway-with-a-difference/38921857.html

Im not as down on it as @wherebee is but thats a straight view through to the north and its going to cost a fortune to heat just as he says. Then again anyone buying a half a million quid house isnt going to worry about a few grand in heating costs per year.

If it was half a million, including the woodland and river rights then Id say yeah, probably in the right ball park.
If I had to make a complete stab at it Id say the original builders were probably related to the nearest farmhouse as it might be difficult to get planning for that if it wasnt your own land. Of course that also means there might be problems over access as well (down the line perhaps).

• Informative 1

belfastchild
32 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Tagging @belfastchildfor input as well.

I'll add a comment here about something sort of unrelated but related at the same time.

Pre-covid I was looking at a series of tumbledown cottages over the border. They were all about the 10-20k mark and at least 2-3 times that in renovation costs if doing it myself. They introduced a grant to cover a percentage of costs if it was going to restore to full living capability.
Went to look at a right few, particularly those with a bit of woodland and land around for self sufficiency.
Covid fucked all that up and then prices started going mental, people paying NI prices (limited by housing benefit) for piles of stones in the ground.

For some reason the last week youtube algorithm has been showing me lots and lots of post lockdown videos of people doing up their tumbledown cottages in rural ireland. Pretty much all english. Pretty much all fucking stupid. I looked at a series of a couple with young child in a house I went to look at. Fuck me. No, seriously, fuck me. They saw them coming. They might make a go of it but anyone thinking with the prices these days of materials they can build their dream off grid cottage with no prior knowledge, no local knowledge (I was looking within 10 miles of friends) etc are absolutely fucking mad. Of course give it a year or two and there will be a fair few partial projects up for sale for etc.
The only one I noticed I gave any hope to was a young couple from dublin who had family in the area and could call on them for help and not have the piss taken out of them by local tradespeople.

Was funny watching a couple of videos of a  place I looked at in the rainiest county in Ireland. Lots of people giving off about the lack of health and safety by the irish locals... yeah...

With a crooked smile
6 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Of course if you market it in England its an absolute fucking bargain

I went out with a girl from Bangor early 2000s. Sometimes we'd fly out of Gatwick to Belfast on a Friday evening (regional operator now gone). The Friday evening flight was always more expensive than say a Thursday and was packed with NI IT contractors and  general Business types. I guess locals contracting in London etc must love it.

belfastchild
1 minute ago, With a crooked smile said:

I went out with a girl from Bangor early 2000s. Sometimes we'd fly out of Gatwick to Belfast on a Friday evening (regional operator now gone). The Friday evening flight was always more expensive than say a Thursday and was packed with NI IT contractors and  general Business types. I guess locals contracting in London etc must love it.

Part of the reason I had the cash for the house deposit was that I was working 3-4 days a week in London, living off expenses and my salary was pretty much all going into the bank. I took my holidays over there to see relatives and work even paid for a bit of that because I wasnt flying home so they paid for the train etc.
Was out pre covid in England for a week with a load of local young people contracting there but living at home in Belfast at weekends. They pretty much couldnt spend the money they were earning, eating out every night, breakfast lunch dinner paid for, taxis to/from airport etc etc. Would kill me to do that now but when I was young it was superb.

• Informative 1

23 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

@wherebee and @belfastchild have summarised it well.

It's far enough out from where the jobs are IMO that for most people you'd need to WFH most of the time, and I'm skeptical as to whether that's going to last forever.

I think you're also thinking about £500K as someone both equity swapping and as someone who earns an especially high wage. At 6%-ish interest £500K is a lot of money again if you need to actually borrow it.

And then you have the cost of fuel to commute to say Belfast for work, and to heat the house. My mate has a 'big' house that's still a fraction of the size of that house and having heard the cost of keeping it heated and the house and garden maintained....it's eye-watering.

I also don't trust newbuilds in NI. Heard too many bad reports.

I do appreciate that it's about 5 times the house as what you'd get for that money in parts of the south of England. But those areas are mental. Similarly there's parts of Belfast where £500K gets you a semi-detached house. Location, location, location....

EDIT: I think the fact you were shown the advert says a lot - the houses are probably marketed primarily at high-earning English folk or retiring English boomers with loads of equity.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Informative 1

Here's the kind of 'sensible' buy I'm probably going to buy outright in a couple of years:

https://www.propertypal.com/38-brooklands-crescent-whitehead/904009

This one has a main road behind the back garden, so not suitable, but others dont.

(It'll either be moving out to something like this, or buying a small flat in Belfast and investing the rest of my money - an overpriced pokey semi-detached in Belfast holds no appeal.)

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

With a crooked smile
2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Here's the kind of 'sensible' buy I'm probably going to buy outright in a couple of years:

https://www.propertypal.com/38-brooklands-crescent-whitehead/904009

This one has a main road behind the back garden, so not suitable, but others dont.

Nice house mate, won't go wrong with that

Just now, With a crooked smile said:

Nice house mate, won't go wrong with that

I think realistically it's the kind of size I'd want, some would argue it's too big for one person but any smaller than that and it would feel more claustrophobic than my current flat.

• Agree 1

belfastchild
1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I also don't trust newbuilds in NI. Heard too many bad reports.

I agree in the main but looking at that property (Ive been getting 3/4 to a million houses pumped to me on facebook recently as well, including a couple Ive been in - maybe thats why?) it could have been built by family for family and thats the type of new build you really want.
I may have mentioned before looking at my cousins house on the shores of lough neagh, fucking massive big house, built by most of the rest of that end of the family. Took their time and did it right. Only problem with it was the mayfly, for a month or so a year you cant get out of the house and you have to dig yourself out at times and power hose down all the walls after.

Have had these both prompted by facebook and mentioned by friends - probably will be bought by english. https://www.propertypal.com/659-seacoast-road-downhill-benone-limavady/900036/ and https://www.propertypal.com/32-ballywoodock-road-castlerock/792390/

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I think realistically it's the kind of size I'd want, some would argue it's too big for one person but any smaller than that and it would feel more claustrophobic than my current flat.

Id definitely argue that. Its too big for one person, saying that though mine is the same but Ive built on to make it bigger but also make the garden smaller. Thats a big garden for one person to manage. you can almost tell from the photos they are retired but its started to get to be too big to manage. Take all the clutter away from the rest of the house and it will echo with one person. I can see people making that big open plan living/dining room back into 2 rooms to save heating such a big space with big windows. Probably ex-security owned at one point judging by the alarms front and back as well as the abundance of pink pebbles.