DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Individual house thread

Frank Hovis

These are being scattered across other threads so I thought a new thread would help as being an obvious place to drop them.  Anything that you think is interesting.

The local Cornwall Live news site usually has an interesting house of a Sunday and today is no exception.

This one is up on its own on Bodmin Moor, one and a half miles from the nearest road so you will need a 4x4 in order to bump along the granite track from the moor.  And three miles from the nearest village.  This raises obvious difficulties for any deliveries of heating oil, food, or deliveries.  And would a postman trek out to it?  I suspect not.

It has nearly seven acres but this all moorland so you won't be growing your veg without importing a lot of soil and manure which would make it non-cost effective.  That it is in a area of poor soil is shown by the field in the foreground where despite millenia of habitation it has never been cleared of rocks for agriculture.  In the Bronze Age these upland moors were generally fertile in the warmer climate of that Age and covered in trees. 

0_GA_DCM_20082022BolventorStags_10jpeg.j

The best word to describe the house's situation is "bleak".  Without heating you will freeze in winter and it will rain an awful lot; far more than on the coastal plains of Cornwall.  And if the electricity ever goes off in a storm well you will be last in line to have it reconnected; think in terms of a week or more with no electricity in winter.

0_GA_DCM_20082022BolventorStags_11jpeg.j

If however you wish for somewhere extremely quiet where the only disruption is birdsong then it's the place for you.

I would think this a very hard house to sell as it would put off all but the hardiest DIYers; but it is a roof over your head in a very peaceful rural situation.

I was guessing maybe £400k because even though it has seven acres they are fairly unusable.

No.

£725k.

Even in the current Cornwall lockdown / wfh inflated property market they are having a laugh.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/property/gallery/find-quiet-life-secluded-moorland-7474928

Edited by Frank Hovis
Adding another piccie.
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 3
  • Lol 3

These are all minor details at the time these sort of houses are bought, driven though by some mental dwarf bollock nurturing mad, menopausal  woman.

However there is a total killer these days, which stops this sort of fuckwittery dead these days-

How fast the broadband?

I know of a few nice houses but in the back of beyond ,nether here or there, 4miels from main road.

Years ago, these would have been bought by some drippy couple, whod dram of keeping chickens and all that shit, rolling over what their kids want. ( I know a few who were brought up like this in the 80s).

However ... as soon as broadband - or total lack of it - is raised, the kids and the dad all put their foot down and say - Fuckit.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 2

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

These are all minor details at the time these sort of houses are bought, driven though by some mental dwarf bollock nurturing mad, menopausal  woman.

However there is a total killer these days, which stops this sort of fuckwittery dead these days-

How fast the broadband?

I know of a few nice houses but in the back of beyond ,nether here or there, 4miels from main road.

Years ago, these would have been bought by some drippy couple, whod dram of keeping chickens and all that shit, rolling over what their kids want. ( I know a few who were brought up like this in the 80s).

However ... as soon as broadband - or total lack of it - is raised, the kids and the dad all put their foot down and say - Fuckit.

Starlink answers the broadband issue....

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

These are being scattered across other threads so I thought a new thread would help as being an obvious place to drop them.  Anything that you think is interesting.

The local Cornwall Live news site usually has an interesting house of a Sunday and today is no exception.

This one is up on its own on Bodmin Moor, one and a half miles from the nearest road so you will need a 4x4 in order to bump along the granite track from the moor.  And three miles from the nearest village.  This raises obvious difficulties for any deliveries of heating oil, food, or deliveries.  And would a postman trek out to it?  I suspect not.

It has nearly seven acres but this all moorland so you won't be growing your veg without importing a lot of soil and manure which would make it non-cost effective.  That it is in a area of poor soil is shown by the field in the foreground where despite millenia of habitation it has never been cleared of rocks for agriculture.  In the Bronze Age these upland moors were generally fertile in the warmer climate of that Age and covered in trees. 

The best word to describe the house's situation is "bleak".  Without heating you will freeze in winter and it will rain an awful lot; far more than on the coastal plains of Cornwall.  And if the electricity ever goes off in a storm well you will be last in line to have it reconnected; think in terms of a week or more with no electricity in winter.

If however you wish for somewhere extremely quiet where the only disruption is birdsong then it's the place for you.

I would think this a very hard house to sell as it would put off all but the hardiest DIYers; but it is a roof over your head in a very peaceful rural situation.

I was guessing maybe £400k because even though it has seven acres they are fairly unusable.

No.

£725k.

Even in the current Cornwall lockdown / wfh inflated property market they are having a laugh.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/property/gallery/find-quiet-life-secluded-moorland-7474928

lol. i walked up to the front gate of that house few months back.

access track is solid granite, not steep ..  not bad except a few days in winter. oil will deliver probably dont even need a baby tanker which costs 10% more.

bigger problems are listed status and it looks a bit crap inside. probably too bleak to coppice firewood so need to buy, maybe add 50k for some woodland nearby.

maybe an hour walk on non traffic roads to pub and a30 access at alturnum so not inaccessible at all by north england standards.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125820794#/map?channel=RES_BUY

can probably walk the other way to famous jamaica inn ... closer. positively metropolis

Edited by BWW
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, BWW said:

lol. i walked up to the front gate of that house few months back.

access track is solid granite, not steep ..  not bad except a few days in winter. oil will deliver probably dont even need a baby tanker which costs 10% more.

bigger problems are listed status and it looks a bit crap inside. probably too bleak to coppice firewood so need to buy, maybe add 50k for some woodland nearby.

maybe an hour walk on non traffic roads to pub and a30 access at alturnum so not inaccessible at all by north england standards.

What a small world!

I agree that it's liveable with a bit of an effort but I find the price pitched far too high as the land is unusable so you may as well not own it.

Seven acres not on the moor would be useful indeed but not there.

As I said in the OP even in the current inflated market I'd say £400k and not £725k.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What a small world!

I agree that it's liveable with a bit of an effort but I find the price pitched far too high as the land is unusable so you may as well not own it.

Seven acres not on the moor would be useful indeed but not there.

As I said in the OP even in the current inflated market I'd say £400k and not £725k.

what price the guarantee of no cunts next door plus the value of the view.

3 minutes ago, BWW said:

what price the guarantee of no cunts next door plus the value of the view.

The poorest weather in Cornwall is in that central high ground and is at its worst on the high moor.  You wouldn't be enjoying that view for many days outside high summer.

And I say that as someone who actively wanted to live up there until after driving the A30 many hundreds of times I realised just how bad was the weather on the moor.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

The poorest weather in Cornwall is in that central high ground and is at its worst on the high moor.  You wouldn't be enjoying that view for many days outside high summer.

And I say that as someone who actively wanted to live up there until after driving the A30 many hundreds of times I realised just how bad was the weather on the moor.

well yeah but would you choose the weather which is mostly only part of or some days or paying 5x as much to be in close proximity to gordon ramsey at rock?

pays your money takes your choice.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BWW said:

well yeah but would you choose the weather which is mostly only part of or some days or paying 5x as much to be in close proximity to gordon ramsey at rock?

pays your money takes your choice.

Living in Rock would be on a par with living on Pengegon estate in Camborne in my view! 

In both you're surrounded by utter tossers making noise and causing trouble; the only difference is in their bank balances.

There are plenty of nice places left that the tourists haven't found and which will never be developed.  Dawn French moved out of the "Rock of the south coast", Fowey, last year because it was getting so lousy with tourists and traffic and moved to somewhere quiet in the Tamar valley.

There are loads of rural inland villages in east Cornwall and west Devon which are and will remain nice because they don't appeal to tourists or second homers.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Living in Rock would be on a par with living on Pengegon estate in Camborne in my view! 

In both you're surrounded by utter tossers making noise and causing trouble; the only difference is in their bank balances.

There are plenty of nice places left that the tourists haven't found and which will never be developed.  Dawn French moved out of the "Rock of the south coast", Fowey, last year because it was getting so lousy with tourists and traffic and moved to somewhere quiet in the Tamar valley.

There are loads of rural inland villages in east Cornwall and west Devon which are and will remain nice because they don't appeal to tourists or second homers.

I holidayed in Fowey about 20 years ago. Not yet spoilt but you could see where it was heading. 

• Agree 1

Just now, One percent said:

I holidayed in Fowey about 20 years ago. Not yet spoilt but you could see where it was heading. 

They're now talking about banning cars in it during the summer months.

How about banning tourists - probem solved.

Fowey pedestrianisation plan would 'imprison residents in their own homes' between June and August

The newly published Fowey Town Centre Masterplan proposes barring motor vehicles (except buses, emergency vehicles and blue badge holders) from several streets between 11am and 4pm every day for the whole of June, July and August.

The plan is led by the Fowey Town Team, which includes the town council, the chamber of commerce, Fowey Forum, Cornwall Councillor Andy Virr and Fowey Harbour Commissioners.

The traffic restriction proposal reads: "We would like to restrict access to motor vehicles during the middle of the day 11 am - 4pm during the peak summer months, 1 June to 31 August on Lostwithiel Street (including Place View and Harbour View), Esplanade and Fore Street up to Caffa Mill. Buses, emergency services and blue badge holders (registered with Cornwall Council) would be exempt.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/fowey-pedestrianisation-plan-would-imprison-7482305

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

No.

£725k.

Bodmin, hell no, you can tell how bleak it is driving across it in the middle of summer.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

They're now talking about banning cars in it during the summer months.

How about banning tourists - probem solved.

Fowey pedestrianisation plan would 'imprison residents in their own homes' between June and August

The newly published Fowey Town Centre Masterplan proposes barring motor vehicles (except buses, emergency vehicles and blue badge holders) from several streets between 11am and 4pm every day for the whole of June, July and August.

The plan is led by the Fowey Town Team, which includes the town council, the chamber of commerce, Fowey Forum, Cornwall Councillor Andy Virr and Fowey Harbour Commissioners.

The traffic restriction proposal reads: "We would like to restrict access to motor vehicles during the middle of the day 11 am - 4pm during the peak summer months, 1 June to 31 August on Lostwithiel Street (including Place View and Harbour View), Esplanade and Fore Street up to Caffa Mill. Buses, emergency services and blue badge holders (registered with Cornwall Council) would be exempt.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/fowey-pedestrianisation-plan-would-imprison-7482305

Spastic card holders exempt. The problem will not go away then.  

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The best word to describe the house's situation is "bleak". 

No kidding, it's surrounded by green desert in every direction. You'd see more variety of plant and animal life each day while living in a flat in zone 2 London.

Edited by Guest

Ha! I've been on this part of the moor often enough, remember when the last owners moved in and they put the track in. Initially was just a dirt track from the moorgate but got so muddy they started "metalling" it with coarse granite gravel. But even that causes them to veer off enough in winter.

Ideally someone who wants to live well away from it all should live there, just head out once a week or so for groceries. Long time ago the then local shop owner did take out deliveries there (the old days, 1970s I think). Friends lived for years on moorland not far away, higher ground and more exposed, and had an astonishing garden with veg and flowers. Slightly walled, but it can be done.

It's good that not everyone wants to live on the moor, but you can keep your coast! Yes, weather can be wetter, windier but other times you can be above the clouds and smirk at the softies on the coast getting wet. 

Sadly though, East Cornwall villages (inc moorland) aren't devoid of second homes and AirBnB. Communities splintered too from *excessive* incoming people, the balance tipped.

Oh well, a kind of intro from me, in East Cornwall. Thanks for flagging this house up @Frank Hovis, not that I can afford it. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 3

With a crooked smile
14 hours ago, Option5 said:

Have a look at https://www.revk.uk

He runs an ISP called Andrews & Arnold (A&A) and has starlink at his place. He's also developing stuff for it.

Be warned, he's a geeks geek :D

I wouldn't worry about a lack of cabled in broadband myself. I see quite a few come up in Cumbria with the same issue. Caravan parks often have the sane issue. They always sell. Satellite broadband, B4RN, GSM router connected to an areil. There's some sort of wireless Internet using basestation repeaters in some valleys. There's always a way of getting it in these days. 

Wack on some oil fired heating and good to go.

Not a cheap to run as living in a village sure. But it'll be bought by someone who can afford the premium and values the tranquility. 

Skiddaw House near me was on for 1.5 million with no Internet or electricity and looks like its sold as I can't see it advertised any more.

• Informative 1

15 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

I wouldn't worry about a lack of cabled in broadband myself. I see quite a few come up in Cumbria with the same issue. Caravan parks often have the sane issue. They always sell. Satellite broadband, B4RN, GSM router connected to an areil. There's some sort of wireless Internet using basestation repeaters in some valleys. There's always a way of getting it in these days. 

Wack on some oil fired heating and good to go.

Not a cheap to run as living in a village sure. But it'll be bought by someone who can afford the premium and values the tranquility. 

Skiddaw House near me was on for 1.5 million with no Internet or electricity and looks like its sold as I can't see it advertised any more.

Starlink also do a system for camper vans, trucks, holiday homes etc. 

Expensive but gives the flexibility people may need. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Option5 said:

Starlink also do a system for camper vans, trucks, holiday homes etc. 

Expensive but gives the flexibility people may need. 

I think it's £129. I pay 40 euros a month for 300gb 4g which can roam anywhere in Europe. I think British people get a false impression of 4g as something patchy, but in Europe I get superfast speeds almost everywhere. Starlink is for the yanks.

Edited by honkydonkey

This is an odd one 

It's up for £95k which sounds about right.

It's a one bed bungalow with a separate garage but looks like it was a side building of another house which was turned into a self-contained annexe.

Not only is there no way to get your car to it, despite the garage, but you seem to have to walk through other people's gardens to access it.

Go to the map, zoom in and switch to satellite view.

This is a very odd one indeed.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/124721885#/?channel=RES_BUY

• Agree 2

Lightly Toasted

This one is of interest to me because it's the first house I bought, 33 years ago aged 27.

Obviously I benefited from cheaper prices, then again I was also paying 89% marginal tax rate (NL used to have a special tax band for young people on the grounds they were receiving support from their parents. Yeah, right 9_9 A big reason for me buying was the mortgage interest deduction, which iirc was 100%.)

https://www.funda.nl/koop/apeldoorn/huis-42873326-valkenweg-146

Extended, enlarged, stripped of every vestige of its 1930s Dutch charm, turned into an Ikea show room.

I paid NLG 155k, which would be about EUR 70k at the EMU lock-in rate. Now asking EUR 375k.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

49 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lottery win needed
it's in 
@Wight Flight's territory.  
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125509073

Unique property. It has a shell room. Which being on the Isle of wight you might think meant sea shells.

£2m becomes £2.6m as you read down if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Fascinating place though, I'd love that.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

50 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lottery win needed
it's in 

Unique property. It has a shell room. Which being on the Isle of wight you might think meant sea shells.

Could be a possible location for dosbods island. Not an island of course but sounds to be potentially defendable. And extra cottages 

• Informative 1

• 4 months later...
On 24/08/2022 at 11:58, sarahbell said:

Lottery win needed
it's in 

Unique property. It has a shell room. Which being on the Isle of wight you might think meant sea shells

Still for sale! What could be wrong with it? https://www.spencewillard.co.uk/listing/bembridge-isle-of-wight-24/
Hardened against artillery...ideal place for a last stand. 

The owner was Thorneycroft of Vosper Thorneycroft, now part of BAES: https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/vosper-thorneycroft

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1