DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Individual house thread

Frank Hovis

Wight Flight
11 minutes ago, cedric said:

Still for sale! What could be wrong with it? https://www.spencewillard.co.uk/listing/bembridge-isle-of-wight-24/
Hardened against artillery...ideal place for a last stand. 

The owner was Thorneycroft of Vosper Thorneycroft, now part of BAES: https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/vosper-thorneycroft

It's ugly.

And look at the EPC rating.

Going to cost £50k+ a year to live there.

I'm out.

Democorruptcy

This clothes airer above an open fire isn't going to pass fire safety! I once experienced one collapsing when I wasn't in the room but the stuff fell in front of a wall mounted gas fire, no blaze.

spacer.png

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This seems incredibly cheap, £275k for a four bed cottage in a nice village in east Devon.

The only obvious downside is that it's thatched but that might be a positive to someone.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/61485157/?search_identifier=b43641523cafb99b48903e150f486393

Did you get this from mumsnet or are you actually mumarooni? :Jumping:

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/property/4721070-why-is-this-house-so-cheapnot-selling

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

So do they not own the panels?

that's an interesting question.....it was that scheme from years ago.....

a mate of mine bought 4kw outright for about 14 grand cos after 10 years they'd have paid for themselves and the rest was just 'free money' for 15 years....

the others who didn't buy outright in effect 'leased their roof' to the 'solar cowboys'.....I think they had to sign their roof away for 'free leccy' lol but in effect it was the cowboy installers who were getting the money direct from the government......

must be some stories out there about cancellations and them coming to take away the panels....but methinks most of em went bust and/or it's not worth the agro to go get the panels back.....

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, nirvana said:

that's an interesting question.....it was that scheme from years ago.....

a mate of mine bought 4kw outright for about 14 grand cos after 10 years they'd have paid for themselves and the rest was just 'free money' for 15 years....

the others who didn't buy outright in effect 'leased their roof' to the 'solar cowboys'.....I think they had to sign their roof away for 'free leccy' lol but in effect it was the cowboy installers who were getting the money direct from the government......

must be some stories out there about cancellations and them coming to take away the panels....but methinks most of em went bust and/or it's not worth the agro to go get the panels back.....

I know at least one sale that fell through because of rent a roof panels.

Solicitors now have to complete a mortgage checklist for lenders and there is no discretion allowed.  All yes / clear or the mortgage application fails.

Most mortgage lenders will not lend if there is already a lease on the property, as there is with rent a roof solar.  The contracts are usually more onerous than you would think with the householder who has signed the roof lease required to pay the expected tariffs if the panels are removed even temporarily, e.g. for repairing the roof.

In the case I know the initial installer had sold all the leases and panel income to another company before winding up. I had teh impression that this was typical; one wants to make money qucikly and the other wants a long, guaranteed, RPI inflating revenue stream.

The seller and solicitor had both tried to contact this second company but were unable to do so.

The only suggestion the solicitor could give for the checklist to be completed and the mortgage company to lend was that the existing homeower, who had signed the lease, remove the panels from the roof and place them in the garden so that the new buyer would not have the panels on the roof when they bought and would not be signing a lease.

Meaning that the seller would have to unilaterally break teh lease and then potentially be on the hook for the anticipated revenue stream from the panels, which inflates at RPI annually.  As an estaimte this would have 15 years to go, woudl be paying £500 a year inflating so the seller woudl potentially have to stump up up to ten grand if the company which had bought the revenue stream pursued them.

The seller unsurprisingly did not want to do this and the solicitor would not sign the mortgage checklist without it.

Stalemate and the person I knew bought a different house instead.

That particular house would only sell with a cash buyer up to the point when there is litle time left on the lease, two years maybe, and the seller isn't then going to risk the sale for the sake of a potential laibility of, say, £1,500 so will be prepared to remove the panels.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3
  • Bogged 1

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/19848106.hornblower-lodge-rare-historic-property-sale-whitby/

13377505.jpg?type=mds-article-962

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130663496#/?channel=RES_BUY

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4389240/cliff-top-home-north-sea-views-for-sale-whitby-north-yorkshire-525k/

Luckily for their sole neighbour, they won't be woken at all hours by the sound of foghorns as the horns no longer sound.

They sold the building to a private owner in 1992, who in turn sold it to the Evans'.

The main house, appropriately called Hornblower Lodge, has a kitchen/dining room, snug sitting room and three bedrooms, and there is also a one-bedroom annexe and a one-bedroom cottage, both currently used as holiday lets.

There is also a disused swimming pool in the garden, a small paddock and garage.

Mr Evans, 50, said: "One of the best bits about the Whitby foghorn station is the beauty of its location. We are lucky to be next to both coast and country, so really we have the best of both worlds.

And the fuckwit has been tryign to sell it ever since.

This is his nth time.

Heres why - 

DhfFdg_XcAA-zrq?format=jpg&name=900x900

A1-Whitby-Foghorn-Buildings-To-The-Right

Address: Hornblower Lodge, ,
Hawsker
Whitby, YO22 4JY
Type: Detached
Tenure: Freehold
New build: No
Estimated value: £689,500
Links: Map icon Price map Wikipedia icon (Whitby)
Transaction type: Standard price paid transaction

Registered sales:

Date Sold Price Paid Nominal
change
Real
change
04 Oct 2007 £495,000 n/a n/a

• Bogged 2
  • Lol 4

I give it about five years before the cuncil insist upon demolition to avoid it falling onto the beach.. 

What would be the rent on that place, maybe £1,500 per month.

£1,500 x 5 x 12 = £90,000

That's what it's worth.  That's all that it's worth.

nintchdbpict000350232074-e1504537518914.

• Agree 4

19 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I give it about five years before the cuncil insist upon demolition to avoid it falling onto the beach.. 

What would be the rent on that place, maybe £1,500 per month.

£1,500 x 5 x 12 = £90,000

That's what it's worth.  That's all that it's worth.

nintchdbpict000350232074-e1504537518914.

I dont think itll be over in 5y - but you neverknow.

The cliff is lias rather than mud, so theres some - but not much - strength to it.

However the cliff is very high and steep - its long way down to the beach. and splat.

It not somewhere Id sleep soundly.

, it may not go over in 5. But it sure as hell is going to go over over ~50.

Anyone buying it would probably be the last buyer i.e. no one will buyit off you.

• Agree 1

I walked round this area a few years ago, if anyone knows Camborne then you have my heartfelt sympathy.

I mean, if you know Camborne it's all part of the big development bounded by the Kerrier Council offices as was and the street running up past Tesco.

It's a big old estate of new builds with the oldest less than fifteen years old and the newest less than five.  This road was one of the last developed and was only just being finished the last time I saw it.  The paper says under five years which would be right.

I've said previously about the shocking state of the whole estate (mostly private rather than social) with render mouldy and falling away and the bottom of projecting balconies beginning to drop down leaving gaps.

And now the walls are falling off.

This building is practically new: look at the brickwork.

In twenty years time I can see the whole sorry mess being bulldozed.

Anyone who has bought here, as in the whole estate and not just this particular road, is going to have a very impoverished old age IMHO as their house will become worth the value of the plot of land.

Side of Linden Homes block of flats falls away in Camborne

The building is less than five years old. Safety work is being carried out

0_Image-1jpeg.jpg

Safety work is underway in Camborne after the wall of a property started to fall away. Drop Stamp Road has been a hive of activity today (Monday) with Cornwall Council building control bosses and the building’s owners at the scene, discussing how best to make the building safe.

The building, a block of flats, was constructed by Linden Homes and is less than five years old. Pictures taken at the scene show the side of the block of flats hanging off and resting on a neighbouring property. The wall first came away last week and some residents are believed to have been moved out.

One resident who lives in the next door property, said: “There are structural issues with these newly built flats in Camborne. The actual wall of the flats is starting to peel away, it is resting on my own house stopping it falling completely.

“The council are contacting the original constructors, Linden, asking them difficult questions in regards to how this has happened, and it is unclear if the other homes and flats will end up having the same fate. It’s currently a mass of workers, a cherry picker, fire service and building managers on site.

"There’s a lot of shock here at the moment and no wind is capable of pulling off the side of some flats so it’s clearly structural. Everyone is quite worried, some people have moved out I believe and a pathway access has been completely closed off.”

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/side-linden-homes-block-flats-8064480

Edit: the area is former mining land with many of the street names referencing this; here is a "Drop Stamp".

Cornish stamps are stamp mills that were developed in Cornwall for use in tin mining in around 1850. Cornish stamps were used to crush small lumps of ore into sand-like material. The stamp was constructed from heavy timber with an iron "head" at the bottom. It was lifted by cams on a rotating axle, and fell on the ore and water mixture, fed into a box beneath. The head normally weighed between 4 and 8 cwt (about 200 to 400 kg) each, and were usually arranged in sets of four, in timber frames. Small stamps were commonly powered by water wheels and larger ones by steam engines.

220px-Geevor_waterwheel_stamps.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_mill

Edited by Frank Hovis
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

This one -

Spa-Chalet-1024x742.jpg

Every fucking years theres a feature piece going - blah blah unique ...

3343C96500000578-0-image-m-117_146090639

Council had it for years.

Derelict, total tramp and teen smokers magnet.

For most of my life you could smell the piss before you got anywhere near.

Heres one of the its for sale from 2016 -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3544561/Swiss-style-chalet-timber-veranda-airy-interiors-goes-sale-600-000-beautiful-views-SCARBOROUGH.html

The manager of the spa lived in the property until the 1950s, when ownership passed to Scarborough Borough Council.

The current owners bought the chalet in 2008 from the local authority after the death of its long term occupant and tenant.

Apparently its now owned (Im not sure if it sold) by usnooz

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-and-gardens/in-pictures-take-a-look-inside-scarboroughs-iconic-spa-chalet-3395478

Its worth menti0nign as the fuckwit who has ewemove also runs usnooz

Both are hopelessly money loosing properdee setups.

https://propertyindustryeye.com/ewemove-founders-sacrifice-7m-earn-out-fees-as-they-walk-away-from-the-business/

The two founders of hybrid agents EweMove, famous for its puns and jokes and bought by Martin & Co in only September for a total of £15m, are sensationally quitting – sacrificing a two-year earn-out worth £6m.

David Laycock and Glenn Ackroyd will leave what is now the Property Franchise Group at the end of June, with millions in their pockets. It now looks as though Martin & Co will re-examine how, if they wish, to get into the online/hybrid agency market.

Laycock and Ackroyd will, however, quit taking with them the £8m paid upfront some seven months ago in the form of £5m cash and £3m in shares. A further £7m was promised in the two-year earn-out.

Now however the pair will sacrifice most of that, taking with them a further £1m in cash. Some will be payable in July, and the rest at the end of the year.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131206103#/?channel=RES_BUY

Leave the PCP'd Audi on the drive for the photos please, it will attract the sort of people who will love the interior.

Monthly repayments: £3,631

Youd need a household income of £12k/m to squeak thru MMR.

That's gives some small fraction of 1% of the population.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Just now, spygirl said:

Monthly repayments: £3,631

Youd need a household income of £12k/m to squeak thru MMR.

That's gives some small fraction of 1% of the population.

If I was in the top one percent, I wouldn’t want to be living there.  

• Agree 1

Oh, had this one on another thread.

Belongs on here.

Been floating about like an unflushed turd for years.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/122305337#/?channel=RES_BUY

https://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/homes-and-gardens/see-inside-this-6-bed-7-bathroom-ps3m-yorkshire-super-mansion-with-its-own-car-showroom-and-pool-2853808

b25lY21zOmMzYWFlOGMzLTE1M2MtNDYzYi1iZWZj

One if those - How can you spend soo much and end up with something soo tacky?

Be ok in Miami.

Wakey? nah.

• Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Sold for £460k in 2012, then £655k in 2018, so how much now prices are supposed to be falling?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131230469#/?channel=RES_BUY

You can probably see Wylfa Nuclear from the rear windows.

fed by London escape money, Anglesey is popular now, unique property finished to a high standard