DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

How Scabby is Scabby?

swiss_democracy_for_all

On 26/10/2022 at 16:52, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Those 2 links look like very la-di-da and not at all as I imagined it. But prices are like the south as well.

Going from what you say, the place to buy longterm would be North Marine Road, and just wait for the HMOs to fade out, assuming the council don't change policy. It's right next to the sea and the cricket ground, in theory it should be posh, or should one day become posh.

I agree. That's a great contrarian macro buy. If you want summers by the seaside it will be great. I've been visiting Scarborough all my life and really like it.

Ignoring the lack of major employers now, it's the remoteness that leaves Scarborough in ruin. Timewise the med' is closer for most people.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, PETR4 said:

I agree. That's a great contrarian macro buy. If you want summers by the seaside it will be great. I've been visiting Scarborough all my life and really like it.

Ignoring the lack of major employers now, it's the remoteness that leaves Scarborough in ruin. Timewise the med' is closer for most people.

Hah, it’s the scratters, bennie brigade and imported scum that’s done that.  

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

And mini golf. Everyone loves mini golf.

Hmm. Scabies got pirate golf, which is expensive.

Whitby has *the* traditional crazy golf.

arnold-palmer-(image-1)-4698810.jpg

It's great.

It's also a fantastic business.

I've sat up tye seats with my mum, counting the people going in. £3/head, about 5groups going thru at a time.

• Cheers 1

swiss_democracy_for_all

Made to look and sound glam in this cheesy MSN article.

Inside the Yorkshire seaside town that's known as 'Scarbados' (msn.com)

Edit :- No mention of one of the most polluted beaches in the UK, druggies and HMOs and the like, it's all sweetness.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

5 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Made to look and sound glam in this cheesy MSN article.

Inside the Yorkshire seaside town that's known as 'Scarbados' (msn.com)

Edit :- No mention of one of the most polluted beaches in the UK, druggies and HMOs and the like, it's all sweetness.

All seaside towns have druggies n hmos.

I'd put Scabby better than Brighton, which is a dump. And Hastings, which is an uber dump.

I'd swerve Brid though.

leonardratso
38 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Weirdly

My only comment us   all the scum have Ben imported.

Changed benefits so scum have to work or stay wherever - poof!

Its unfair to put your family on you tube sir, its not their fault they are all drug addled alcoholics.

• Agree 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
13 hours ago, spygirl said:

Weirdly

My only comment us   all the scum have Ben imported.

Changed benefits so scum have to work or stay wherever - poof!

Scarborough didn't look that bad. But it has that "thin" Northern light that looks like it will be cold even if it isn't.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Scarborough didn't look that bad. But it has that "thin" Northern light that looks like it will be cold even if it isn't.

It can blow thru the cwentral bit.

Howver, the bits tucked away are prety sheltered.

• 1 month later...

Journo mangling.

It's got a hugh rate of oaps as there 30y of missing kids, well, the working ones.

Noones retiring to Scabby or anywhere these days. People work too long and are wise to holidaying abroad.

I'd doubt Scabby oap ratio comes close to Chrustchuch, or other Southern towns.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

'Your lungs open and you feel like you can breathe again': Why retirees are flocking to Scarborough

Scarborough was named Britain’s retirement capital, with more than one in four residents aged 65 or over – and it’s not hard to see why

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/why-retire-to-scarborough-north-yorkshire/

They’ve not been down westborough have they?  o.O

• Lol 1

26 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Journo mangling.

It's got a hugh rate of oaps as there 30y of missing kids, well, the working ones.

Noones retiring to Scabby or anywhere these days. People work too long and are wise to holidaying abroad.

I'd doubt Scabby oap ratio comes close to Chrustchuch, or other Southern towns.

At 30% we are close to 1 in 3.

Visited Scabby over the summer this year for the first time in my life. Impressive place in some ways - the buildings, the madly overbuilt Victorian infrastructure.

But take a short stroll up Harcourt Place towards The Grand, and then a left swerve into St Nicholas Street - in what seems like the centrepiece of the town - and the penny will soon drop as you pass the third mobility scooter shop in 300 yards.

And then you notice the last one is smack bang opposite the PIP office and you realise this isn't just a town, it's a parable for the predicament of an entire nation.

Highly recommended, I'll be visiting again in 2024.

Edit to add: here is the streetview of Scab's jewel in the crown: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sRXda5Mown4Lf68t9

Edited by jamtomorrow
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Well at least someone from scabby has achieved something. Don’t knock it. 

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2023 at 07:39, jamtomorrow said:

Visited Scabby over the summer this year for the first time in my life. Impressive place in some ways - the buildings, the madly overbuilt Victorian infrastructure.

But take a short stroll up Harcourt Place towards The Grand, and then a left swerve into St Nicholas Street - in what seems like the centrepiece of the town - and the penny will soon drop as you pass the third mobility scooter shop in 300 yards.

And then you notice the last one is smack bang opposite the PIP office and you realise this isn't just a town, it's a parable for the predicament of an entire nation.

Highly recommended, I'll be visiting again in 2024.

Edit to add: here is the streetview of Scab's jewel in the crown: https://maps.app.goo.gl/sRXda5Mown4Lf68t9

Talking about thus topic with brother.

His idiot GF wanted to invest in Scabby n have brother looking after place.

The centre, bound  Columbus ravine to  Queen Street is lost.

Other than MnS there's no shops in town.

That's not to say theres no shops, last 30y has seen a big Tescos n Sainsbury open.

But forget it for none  supermarket stuff.

I kniw aa few who have nice houses on tte edge, wholl only walk in when we go fir aa beer. Thats sad. Scabby used to be a good place for a crawl.

Now the Centre- and the under 40s has been lost to scum.

The centre gas stopped getting worse. A brutal reduction in vebefits will be a bonus.

• 3 months later...

Centre of the world this week.

TE Bagehot column

Local British politics is a mix of the good, the bad and the mad

Devolution is messier—and weirder—than people think

https://www.economist.com/britain/2024/04/17/local-british-politics-is-a-mix-of-the-good-the-bad-and-the-mad

20240420_BRD000.jpg

Buildings of england”, the Bible of architectural historians, is effusive about the Grand Hotel in Scarborough, a chilly, rather tired seaside resort on the coast of Yorkshire. It is “a High Victorian gesture of assertion and confidence: of denial of frivolity and insistence on substance, than which none more telling can be found in the land”.

Other reviews vary. “ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS,” reads one. “If I could give it 0 i would!!!” says another. A third vividly recalls: “The first room I got had pubic hair all over the sheets.” When Bagehot visited, he avoided that fate. But he found that the “glorious hall” highlighted in “Buildings of England” now hosts an air-hockey table and a luminous arcade machine, where punters can win prizes like an Xbox controller or a bottle of Prime, a sickly energy drink. In the bar four bored pensioners watched “The Chase”, a quiz show, at a disconcertingly loud volume.

Listen to this story.  Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS or Android.

“Buildings of england”, the Bible of architectural historians, is effusive about the Grand Hotel in Scarborough, a chilly, rather tired seaside resort on the coast of Yorkshire. It is “a High Victorian gesture of assertion and confidence: of denial of frivolity and insistence on substance, than which none more telling can be found in the land”.

Other reviews vary. “ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS,” reads one. “If I could give it 0 i would!!!” says another. A third vividly recalls: “The first room I got had pubic hair all over the sheets.” When Bagehot visited, he avoided that fate. But he found that the “glorious hall” highlighted in “Buildings of England” now hosts an air-hockey table and a luminous arcade machine, where punters can win prizes like an Xbox controller or a bottle of Prime, a sickly energy drink. In the bar four bored pensioners watched “The Chase”, a quiz show, at a disconcertingly loud volume.

The Grand Hotel’s owner is Britannia, which is consistently ranked the country’s worst hotel chain. Soon it could have a new one: British taxpayers. Keane Duncan, the 29-year-old Conservative candidate for the newly formed York and North Yorkshire Combined Mayoral Authority, has pledged to buy the decaying hotel if he wins office in local elections on May 2nd. If Britannia refuses to sell, then Mr Duncan says he will use compulsory-purchase powers bestowed on the mayor to force it to do so. “Sounds bonkers, I know,” says Mr Duncan.

When it comes to devolution in England, there is a broad consensus. The Conservatives are proud of introducing regional mayors in every major urban area and now in some rural ones. Under a future Labour government the powers of mayors will be juiced up further. Wonks generally agree that devolution is “a good thing”. What gets forgotten is that it is also a very messy thing. Some ideas will work. Others will fail. Some will be insane. Local politics is always a mixture of the good, the bad and the mad.

For a taste of all three, drive 70 minutes north up the a171 to Teesside, a struggling industrial region. Ben Houchen, the Conservative mayor of this traditionally Labour region, is fighting for re-election. His offer to voters is one of unapologetic economic interventionism. Almost £560m ($700m) of public money has been pledged to overhaul a 1,800-hectare site by the Tees in an effort to turn the graveyard of a former steelworks into something productive. Lord Houchen even bought a loss-making airport on the basis that executives could fly in to invest while Teessiders could fly out to spend the proceeds on the Med. “Dirigisme” is the idea that the state can orchestrate an economy; “Houchisme” is a shrunken version, with a local economy bossed by a regional big man.

The scheme has been dogged by accusations of mismanagement and worse. Andy McDonald, a local mp, made allegations of “industrial-scale corruption” while speaking in Parliament, which is exempt from England’s libel laws. Lord Houchen in turn labelled Mr McDonald a “liar”, a “coward” and a “disgrace”. A report has found no evidence of corruption but a litany of governance failures, with 28 changes recommended for the complex set-up.

The project has, at times, taken a unique approach to stakeholder management. During one disagreement about access rights to the site with a neighbouring business, the then vice-chair of the development corporation opted for film-dialogue threats: “I want your eyes out of your head; I want the fucking roof off your house; I want your kids out of private school; I want no shoes on your fucking feet.” Devolution succeeds in putting the spotlight on sometimes forgotten areas; the glare will not always flatter.

Sometimes devolved schemes are wacky but largely harmless. In the West of England Combined Authority, the mayor introduced a birthday bus pass, giving people free travel during the month of their birthday (at a cost of £8m). Other local decisions have bigger consequences. In Greater Manchester Andy Burnham, the Labour mayor, has attracted plaudits for bringing the region’s bus system into public ownership but chickened out of a “clean-air zone” that would have charged polluting vehicles for driving in the centre of the region. In London Sadiq Khan expanded a similar scheme at some political cost. Pollution in the capital has plunged; pollution in Manchester is the country’s worst. If Manchester’s residents choke, at least it is due to their own choices.

This is part of the point of devolution. The British government and, in particular, its mighty Treasury are good at stopping sins of commission. White elephants do exist but they are rare, since so many projects are aborted moments after conception. As a result, however, sins of omission are common. Devolution means more things will be tried because of decisions made by local politicians. But that will, inevitably, lead to mistakes.

Having a right mayor

At the moment, a place like Scarborough is stuck in limbo. Central government has neither the guts to let it die nor the will to try to resuscitate it. A mayor will neither change the weather (it is still woolly-hat temperatures in spring) nor return the town to its Victorian pomp. But someone might end up cleaning the layer of grime and seagull droppings that covered the window in Bagehot’s filthy hotel room. Whether that is a good use of taxpayer money is for voters—or at least the fraction of them who bother to vote in local elections—to decide.

Devolution is a long-term punt that local politicians will, on the whole, make better decisions about their area than national ones. Boosters insist a virtuous circle will kick in: more powers will attract higher-calibre candidates, which will lead to more scrutiny, which will mean better policy. Everyone in British politics has signed up to the gamble. The price in the short term? Whatever a 413-room Victorian hotel in Scarborough goes for these days. 

Id add, for whatever reasons, Kittiwakes have decided to nest all over Scabby/

Not sure why. Its only occured over the last 20 odd years.

Kittiwakes are very very protected, so you cant do anything.