DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

sleepwello'nights
3 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Long duration has been crushed. Take the Austria 100 year bond issued in 2020 at a coupon rate of 0.85%. It’s currently trading at 40 cents to the Euro. That’s a loss of 60% on a MTM basis.

https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/TVC-AT100Y/

That's what I don't understand. I bought some index linked gilts in a Vanguard fund. The price shot up from 2016 onwards and fortunately I sold most in 2021. The ones I held onto dropped 30% in 2022. As far as I know the yield is index linked and so is the redemption value. 

The mark to market price has obviously fallen but if they're held to maturity the redemption yield will increase in line with inflation. A puzzle for me as to why index linked gilts have fallen the same as non-index linked.

Here's a link to the fund details: https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-uk-inflation-linked-gilt-index-fund-gbp-acc/portfolio-data

Edited by sleepwello'nights
added link to fund details
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, belfastchild said:

Carrickfergus marina.

I'm going to my mate's in Larne on Saturday evening so I'll stop off in Carrick on the way and you can take me out on the boat.

The Simpsons Gifs

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Love / Hugz 1
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
24 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm going to my mate's in Larne on Saturday evening so I'll stop off in Carrick on the way and you can take me out on the boat.

The Simpsons Gifs

Are you designed for port or starboard tack?

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Anyone got a view on either Close Brothers or Investec in terms of their financial stability going forward? Close Brothers is rated Aa3 from Moodys and Investec is Moodys A1.

Both are near the top of the best buy fixed bonds tables (paying nearly 6% for 1 and 2 year bonds). Is this another Icelandic Banks from 2008 or am I seeing spooks. Any views appreciated.

• Informative 1

Transistor Man
21 minutes ago, Festival said:

Anyone got a view on either Close Brothers or Investec in terms of their financial stability going forward? Close Brothers is rated Aa3 from Moodys and Investec is Moodys A1.

Both are near the top of the best buy fixed bonds tables (paying nearly 6% for 1 and 2 year bonds). Is this another Icelandic Banks from 2008 or am I seeing spooks. Any views appreciated.

The Investec Fixed Rate Saver? 

It’s FSCS protected to £85k. Over that, you could put the rest somewhere else. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Im sitting watching my roadmap unfold and thinking how much companies could of saved with macro advice.Yep gilts are the tell,government and BOE are locked in a padded cell.

2 hours ago, Festival said:

Whilst we don’t follow the retail investment crowd on this thread it’s interesting to note I have seen a shift in ‘retail investment advice’ away from generic equity funds and moving towards cash, PM hedging and short term gilts.

I spoke with an IFA today and took the time to listen to their position rather than tell them what I think. Their advice was why mess with the Pru Fund aiming for 6/7% pa but last 12 months achieving 0.3%, why take the risk?  (ie vanilla generic funds are moving out of favour). 

I know 2 other people with managed portfolio’s and that has also been the shift in the advice and sentiment, plus a family member who went on an ‘event’ in Leeds with lots of ‘Bloomberg type speakers’ that were again talking cash/short term gilts rather than generic funds. 

That doesn’t mean they suggest their customers replace all the equities with cash/gilts but rather if you are a vanilla investor who has a vanilla fund for the first 30% of your investments as a reliable safe foundation of your investments then replace it (at the moment) with cash/short gilts. 

None of the IFAs are mentioning the EMs though. That’s a macro step too far😉

As an aside the IFA also mentioned some of my money (ie 10/15%) should be in what he  called ‘absolute return’ investments Ie PMs and commodities.

It’s this thread and those other investments (above and beyond cash) that may help try take us above and beyond inflation because cash will only lose money over the cycle.

In summary I guess I am saying increasing base rate to 5% has made cash to become ‘an increasing part’ of the portfolio in the ‘retail balanced portfolio advice world’ to replace vanilla foundation funds.

Edited by Pip321
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 8

27 minutes ago, Pip321 said:

a family member who went on an ‘event’ in Leeds with lots of ‘Bloomberg type speakers’ that were again talking cask

This cask thing again I thought we moved position into lout

• Love / Hugz 1
  • Lol 2

belfastchild
3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

The Simpsons Gifs

Saturday? Saturdays are strictly DD access only.

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Pip321 said:

None of the IFAs are mentioning the EMs though. That’s a macro step too far😉

That has been a general reliable basis of this thread for over 5 years, no IFA in the land would have told you to buy oil and potash companies in 2020. I dipped into EMs a while ago because of the thread, TEF+20%, Blackpool rock +20%.

• Agree 4
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 2

All this talk of yachts reminds me of a time when I was a student and asked a girl from the sailing society if I could come on her boat. Happily, she said yes.

• Lol 8
  • Cheers 3

leonardratso

Fundsmith update since i cleared it out about 13/14months ago but after that forgot to remove the £100/month DD, but then i though shag it its only a 100 quid a month ill let it ride, so far paid in £1700, think i might have left a few hundred to ride to begin with, and its worth 1803 today so about 6.10% in profit. So wasnt a bad idea to just leave it to ride.

Uncle terrys keeping up with the bank rates, but realistically falling short of real inflation, still ill carry on and see what old tel can do with it.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

Fundsmith update since i cleared it out about 13/14months ago but after that forgot to remove the £100/month DD, but then i though shag it its only a 100 quid a month ill let it ride, so far paid in £1700, think i might have left a few hundred to ride to begin with, and its worth 1803 today so about 6.10% in profit. So wasnt a bad idea to just leave it to ride.

Uncle terrys keeping up with the bank rates, but realistically falling short of real inflation, still ill carry on and see what old tel can do with it.

Buggering fuck this is hard

Which of this lot have you got? What does it mean?

Fundsmith Equity (Class I) Accumulation Fund Price & Information

Fundsmith Equity (Class I) Income Fund Price & Information

Fundsmith Sustainable Equity (Class I) Accumulation Fund Price & Information

Fundsmith Sustainable Equity (Class I) Income Fund Price & Information

Fundsmith Equity (Class R) Accumulation Fund Price & Information

Fundsmith Equity (Class R) Income Fund Price & Information

2 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Divorce is the biggest danger to most men .it can half your wealth instantly in many cases it can take 60/70% 

We sold our house and it was split 60/40 and my solicitor told me could have been much worse.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 3
  • Vomit 3

10 hours ago, janch said:

I love it.:D   In my family we have an "awkward gene" which one of my sons inherited from their father.................. (of course:))  and my ex, and now my daughter thinks her son has it too.:Jumping:

2 of my three kids have the 'heal really fast and cuts/knocks aren't a problem".  1 has my wifes 'brush my arm with a feather and a bruise will appear'

Makes it REALLY hard to work out who to punish when they fight....

• Lol 2

Democorruptcy
15 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Real yes,and the market prices them different all the time,so if your underwater 25% and need the cash tough,you need to sell.Gilts are always in real terms as they will never default they will just print,but inflation could be 1000% a year,so the gilts would be worthless,companies can put prices up,in a reflation cash and gilts are terrible investments over anything but the short term to hide from bank defaults and stocks market crash etc.

Re holding short term, I read that big hitters with cash outside ISAs and SIPPs were piling into gilts, those not long from expiry and selling below par because the yield was poor. The profit being in the uplift from the below par price to £100 on maturity because it's CGT free on gilts.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 8

Democorruptcy
22 hours ago, belfastchild said:

Just chatted with one of my neighbours, they owe 7 grand on the mortgage, got a letter yesterday, their variable rate is now 7.99%

Update on marinawatch. Small boats berths are pretty much full (6m or thereabouts). Fees are charged per metre per month. A lot of empty spaces in the larger yacht category. Might explain why some are being sold at any price recently. Yes 10 grand for a decent 26ft yacht but thats around 4 grand a year to berth.. Cant really trailer those sorts of sizes of boats, so have to be stored somewhere. Saw a few boats with things printed out and stuck to them. Those are the ones with arrears on berthing fees. Never seen that before.

If I could buy a bargain to live on, would you drive it to a sunnier country with cheaper moorings for me? Cheers.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 4

geordie_lurch

The digital £ keeps creeping on... https://finbold.com/uk-finance-wants-banks-to-limit-digital-pound-holdings-to-5000/ emphasis mine

On July 4, UK Finance, an organization that represents UK-based banks and financial firms, weighed in on this matter. 

Namely, the group said the individual holdings of the proposed digital pound should be limited to £3,000-£5,000 in a bid to avoid panic and the risk of bank runs.

UK Finance’s suggestions come after initial recommendations from the British government and central bank to impose a temporary cap of £10,000-£20,000 to help banks evade deposit flights. 

The finance membership organization said the limit should be significantly lower, citing risks of the digital pound potentially exacerbating deposit runs in times of financial turmoil. 

In addition, the group argued that the UK authorities are yet to lay out “clearly what objectives and needs the digital pound is expected to meet and why it is best suited to meet those needs. It is not clear from the consultation what place in the market digital central bank money is expected to take.”

The UK Treasury and the central bank are still exploring potential use cases of a CBDC, with the final decision being expected by 2025. 

Yeah I'm sure it's not a done deal and they don't know exactly how they will enslave millions more with their CDBC :wanker:

Edited by geordie_lurch
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 2
  • Bogged 2

King Penda
29 minutes ago, geordie_lurch said:

The digital £ keeps creeping on... https://finbold.com/uk-finance-wants-banks-to-limit-digital-pound-holdings-to-5000/ emphasis mine

On July 4, UK Finance, an organization that represents UK-based banks and financial firms, weighed in on this matter. 

Namely, the group said the individual holdings of the proposed digital pound should be limited to £3,000-£5,000 in a bid to avoid panic and the risk of bank runs.

UK Finance’s suggestions come after initial recommendations from the British government and central bank to impose a temporary cap of £10,000-£20,000 to help banks evade deposit flights. 

The finance membership organization said the limit should be significantly lower, citing risks of the digital pound potentially exacerbating deposit runs in times of financial turmoil. 

In addition, the group argued that the UK authorities are yet to lay out “clearly what objectives and needs the digital pound is expected to meet and why it is best suited to meet those needs. It is not clear from the consultation what place in the market digital central bank money is expected to take.”

The UK Treasury and the central bank are still exploring potential use cases of a CBDC, with the final decision being expected by 2025. 

Yeah I'm sure it's not a done deal and they don't know exactly how they will enslave millions more with their CDBC :wanker:

True but if you online bank all pounds are digital 

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1