DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

4 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Its very hard to define what the end result collapse is.I think from what im seeing we are already in the collapse,the question is do we turn back before total collapse or not,and then what is the total collapse.As its running now we are in the stage where the government takes all saved labour to give to those on the state.So the question is,how much do they take before it collapses,and is there a way to protect capital as much as you can.?

The sort of questions i have right now are like these.Is BT better because it can leverage UK inflation,or is Verizon better because it can leverage UK collapse .

Roadmaps are for direction,and at some point they turn,and macro work is to be way ahead of the turn.The problem here in the UK nothing that is flashing collapse is seeing any sort of reform.

This is much much worse than the ERM event,the economy was sound underneath then.This is the worst set up iv ever seen.

I know you are chasing divi’s and that you considered going in big on the metals some months back (wise not to at the time in hindsight) but what needs to change for you to make the switch to real money?

• Agree 2

Yadda yadda yadda
28 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

Its very hard to define what the end result collapse is.I think from what im seeing we are already in the collapse,the question is do we turn back before total collapse or not,and then what is the total collapse.As its running now we are in the stage where the government takes all saved labour to give to those on the state.So the question is,how much do they take before it collapses,and is there a way to protect capital as much as you can.?

The sort of questions i have right now are like these.Is BT better because it can leverage UK inflation,or is Verizon better because it can leverage UK collapse .

Roadmaps are for direction,and at some point they turn,and macro work is to be way ahead of the turn.The problem here in the UK nothing that is flashing collapse is seeing any sort of reform.

This is much much worse than the ERM event,the economy was sound underneath then.This is the worst set up iv ever seen.

Total collapse is Argentina with less land.

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

Yadda yadda yadda
27 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

The big banks aren't paying savers a fair rate and it's subsidising mortgage rates at lower than they should be at.

Who is supplying the banks with money? They're the one distorting savings rates. Banks haven't completed for savings for a long time as they can get cheap money elsewhere.

• Agree 4

leonardratso

must be on, ford money just put the flexible account interest up again;

We have some good news for you.

In line with Our Best Rate Guarantee we’re increasing the interest rate on our Flexible Saver effective 21st June 2023 as follows:

Current rate New higher rate
3.69% Gross 3.84% Gross
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Is that where you end up just renting from the bank on a perpetual self-repair self-insure lease?

Can't go wrong with bricks and mortar 

Yes that scenario was predicted by some on this thread, along with offering fancy new mortgage products. Of course it wil be sold as a 'temporary' solution but we know it'll be anything but temporary.

A question for the knowledgeable (banking experts?) on here...   Would the banks need to change their capitol funding (bond/market risk; btw just throwing terms around as I clearly don't really know this stuff!!) model to do this? Or would taking control of housing assets actually strengthen their balance sheets and be a win for them, at least in the short term?

Edited by JMD
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jamtomorrow said:

The scapegoating of central bankers has been discussed a few times on here, so not all surprising to see it materialize. Interesting question is, will it turn into scapegoating of central *banking*?

Must be a few populist pols looking at this and seeing the obvious opportunity.

Yes. I think that 'Crazy Kwasi's' (well that was the MSMs judgement of him) publicly announced weekly meetings with BOE governor were intended as a starting point for the reigning-in of the CBs... however he and Truss were ejected from office. Strange that?! 

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, Pip321 said:

It’s Brexit, it’s always Brexit….just ask the BBC.

Wonder when they will ask us to rejoin the money pit again.

As the song say “Things, can only get shitter.” 

1366040B-57B2-429E-BC80-F0E3AC7FAAEB.jpeg

That all suggests general inflation is based on energy inflation. And explains the refusal to ban new coal exploration....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Option5 said:

The banks will make up some of the losses by paying lower rates on savings and deposits.

...and the government will stand by and do FA...yet move away from savings and into the 'oilies' to get better returns and they are 'on the case' straight away...governments do not 'serve the people', they 'farm' them!

• Agree 7

17 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Buy a house in Durham.

Are you alluding to that coal seam at the bottom of your garden?

Unfortunately home owners in this country don't own the mineral rights below their own land. Although I note that in the US they do and some residents there have made a pretty packet. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

1 hour ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Who is supplying the banks with money? They're the one distorting savings rates. Banks haven't completed for savings for a long time as they can were gifted get cheap money elsewhere.

FTFY.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

I should get a confirmation email from Marcus later on today so I'll let you know.

As you predicted the Marcus email has just arrived. 😆😆
Looks like they are thinking 0.25% 😉

email
We wanted to let you know we’ve increased the underlying interest rates on our Online Savings Account, Cash ISA and Maturity Saver from 3.14% AER* to 3.39% AER*. 

If you hold an Online Savings Account or Cash ISA and you have already added the 0.34% gross/tax-free* bonus, your total rate will be 3.75% AER / 3.68% gross†.

Edited by Pip321
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 4

Lightly Toasted
2 hours ago, baffledbyzirp said:

The government is not responsible for protecting people from their own stupidity and greed. Where does personal responsibility finish and the social contract begin? I look forward to smaller government and greater individual accountability. If you can't feed the kids you produce stop having them. 

No, but it is responsible for monetary and fiscal policy, which inevitably drive behaviour at population level.

Incentivise stupidity and greed (and laziness and entitlement) = get more of it, until at some point the whole economy is swamped. 

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1

Lightly Toasted
1 hour ago, JMD said:

Yes that scenario was predicted by some on this thread, along with offering fancy new mortgage products. Of course it wil be sold as a 'temporary' solution but we know it'll be anything but temporary.

A question for the knowledgeable (banking experts?) on here...   Would the banks need to change their capitol funding (bond/market risk; btw just throwing terms around as I clearly don't really know this stuff!!) model to do this? Or would taking control of housing assets actually strengthen their balance sheets and be a win for them, at least in the short term?

Not an expert but I presume there are (relatively short-term) lenders/bondholders in the background, to whom a stream of payments flows. The need to adjust the borrower's mortgage rate will be driven by the need to re-finance the underlying bond as they expire. All IMO.

• Informative 1

Yadda yadda yadda
1 hour ago, JMD said:

I'm not a banking expert. My guess would be that a vehicle would be formed to take over the running of the properties and pay the loan back to the bank.

Eg Nat West takes over a property. They transfer it to a wholly owned subsidiary named NatWest Vulture Properties Ltd. NWVP takes rental payments and pays loan interest to NatWest PLC. I'm unclear who would be responsible for property maintenance. NWVP would presumably want control of that and would therefore need to charge a rent appropriate to pay the loan and maintenance.

• Informative 2

I’m getting the impression that the banks are going to be clobbered by the government for taking excess profits just as they did for Shell/Bp.

Which dovetails nicely into hey, banks are bad so let’s get rid of them and have these nice CBDC’s instead...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Have you mapped the impact of foreign retail money flowing in as the pound collapses, to buy UK assets?  Trust me, from my time in HK and elsewhere in Asia, 90% of asian retail investors still see the UK as the land of paddington bear, bowler hats, honesty, and james bond.  I've posted on here before that almost every professional I knew in Hk and Singapore had property in either UK, Australia, or Canada, and the vast majority in the UK.

I could see a position where Uk housing looks very very cheap to singaporeans, chinese, indians, and they just pile in and grab any old shit they can in London and elsewhere that they know from TV (like Oxford).  They will NEVER recognise a collapse, even the riots in London a while back were discussed in circles I knew in HK as 'immigrant riots' and seen as a small problem.

In their desperation to keep the plates spinning, I could see a UK gvt supporting this inwards flow of money.  Ten houses in London could be ten million quid in GBP...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 5