DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 6)

spunko

Yadda yadda yadda
18 minutes ago, HousePriceMania said:

and IIRC there is a reason for that, no one will buy £s otherwise.

You want a higher rate of return for taking on currency risk.

• Agree 2

Virgil Caine
57 minutes ago, desertorchid said:

Historically UK rates were always a touch above the US. It just the way it was. This norm broke in 2008

With rare exceptions as when Volcker was crushing US inflation in the early 1980s this was normally the case up until the GFC. Investors demanded an interest rate premium before putting money into Sterling. Same has generally happened with ECB rates since the early 1990s. Sterling was effectively devalued when it was forced out of the ERM so Britain has generally had higher interest rates than the Eurozone to compensate. Current events are in fact a reversion to the state before the GFC. ZIRP and QE were the anomalies.

IMG_0437.png

IMG_0438.gif

Edited by Virgil Caine
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 5

54 minutes ago, desertorchid said:

Historically UK rates were always a touch above the US. It just the way it was. This norm broke in 2008

40 year BOE v FED (blue) disinflationary cycle.  Relationship certainly change around 2008, but will an inflationary cycle be the same.  

image.thumb.png.90f1755713bcd081a886c845961a810d.png

and not the only thing that changed around 2008,  

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/timeseries/hf6x/pusf

image.png.aaf6f06f9bc58e7dc6d15cb2ddfbf571.png

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

100% what they are doing,they are moving the pain onto mortgage holders rather than cut bennies or pensions.Its as simple as that.Like iv always said the roadmap showed them making the less than half contributing take their pain and everyone elses,it really is shocking.

Are the gov’ still freezing the Local Housing Allowance rates? 

• Informative 3

57 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Time will tell but I think inflation will be too high here to maintain that. The USA can insulate itself from producer inflation to a large extent. They produce oil, gas and even coal, still. They have massive industrial capacity. They have an onshoring policy. They still have the reserve currency.

The UK has very little industrial capacity compared to consumption. I think that UK, and possibly EU interest rates, are going to shift regime from being lower than US to being above. This may take several years as the impact of interest rate increases here will be stronger and depressionary. At least in the medium term. We could have a crisis moment.

I expect interest rate in the UK to be higher than in the US by the end of 2025. I could be wrong.

What change in governance at the boe do you see happening to get them to run higher than the fed. 
You expect Bailey to be removed? 

Virgil Caine
17 minutes ago, feed said:

What change in governance at the boe do you see happening to get them to run higher than the fed. 

I would be interested to know what advice Bailey was receiving over the past two years. We already know that the BOE models are effectively broken as they have admitted they were inaccurate. In some ways the mismanagement of the currency mirrors the mismanagement of Covid where the complex computer models also proved to be largely wrong and better predictions could have been made using simpler historical evidence.

Edited by Virgil Caine
  • Agree 6

22 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Are the gov’ still freezing the Local Housing Allowance rates? 

Until next April yes,but Labour are certain to increase them by a lot,and the Tories might next April.Housing wealth needs to be next to go though if policy doesnt change,so i suspect a large chunk of BTL will go under,lots taking their own house with it.Equity release will also be destroyed at high rates and house price falls.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 5

Yadda yadda yadda
35 minutes ago, feed said:

I expect the market to force their hand.

On that timescale, end of 2025, there is a good chance he will be out. New Government by then, of course.

Edited by Yadda yadda yadda
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

IO on £150k has gone from £3k p.a. to circa £9k and 91% of Natiownwides BTL mortgage book is IO......................think about that.

So referencing one of my previous post about a Bank/BS crash Top Ten it looks as though NW will get No1 spot?

1 hour ago, Virgil Caine said:

Few of Britain’s serving Generals in 1914 or 1939 survived in post until the end of the world wars.

Yes, and they got their medals but not the 'spoils' of war...seems 'General are Generals', and 'Privates are Privates, whatever scenario we are in!

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy
4 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

I thought that the whole point of raising interest rates was to take money off the people paying mortgages. That this fights inflation by reducing demand in the wider economy, because people have had to spend more money on their mortgage.

Now they want to press the "raise interest rates" button, but to also protect everybody from the consequences of pressing the button, when it's those very consequences by which the button achieves their stated goals.

This is proper cargo cult stuff. These people are morons.

The most important point about raising rates, might be that the governbankment is paying the base rate to banks, on the £900bn they are parking nightly at the BoE. It's a taxpayer gift to bankers of £40bn a year at 4.5%. Each 1% base rate rise is worth £9bn to banks.

What Hunt might have said to bankers (without wanting to draw attention to said £40bn but using it as leverage), is for them to be kind to borrowers, to reduce the bad press about mortgage holders in difficulty. One favour deserves another?

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

leonardratso

hmm ford money sneakily put up the fixed saver rates without telling me;

image.thumb.png.b9f46186b7670a7ae72a18a7d56dd3ef.png

• Informative 1

montecristo
24 minutes ago, montecristo said:

image.thumb.png.db2032a2b7ae24d604509b3ec6649982.png

image.thumb.png.7f0b63097d1b0088346ecc2d25d8c7a9.png

Gone up another 0.02% in 10 minutes :)  After next weeks rate rise 1 year savings will be 6% +

• Love / Hugz 1
  • Lol 4