DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 8)

spunko

Mandalorian
9 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

@Mandalorian I’m pretty much with you on this above. Global trackers or certainly regional so you can “dial them up and down as required”. The global trackers are holding a little bit too much S&P for my liking. 

SEMA will be my emerging market play.

Just waiting for entry points into the market.

SEMA has 20% allocation in China (includes some Alibaba and JD.com which I thought about buying direct the other day and decided against it).

Will be holding CSH2 (4.4% net yield) until the time comes. 

I am going to allocate:

What makes you think you can time the market?

Friend of mine sold EVERYTHING about 18 months - 2 years ago.  'It's overvalued.  Going to crash.'

It didn't.

Maybe it will.  But what if it doesn't?

This is why I buy in my SIPP every month - like clockwork.

FWIW.  I want a market crash.  I'll be buying stuff cheap.

• Cheers 2

Mandalorian
10 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

Surely these two statements above are contradictory? the second one is “timing the market”.

Then you get back in when you think it’s ’Rock bottom’’

Getting out when you have made enough isn't timing the market.

It's realising when you've had enough out of a share rather than trying to get the absolute most out of it.

I.e.  Don't be greedy.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Cringe 1

Mandalorian
27 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

I did it once before in March 2000.

I was subcontracting for ENRON in Puerto Rico and told the “big Texan boss” - who was constantly bragging about his shares in Enron and his 401k - that it was all about to come crashing down and the Nasdaq was approaching 5000pts and that would be it - all over - reckoned a 50% collapse. (I had just sold my biotech shares and moved to cash).

He laughed and took the piss out of this “naive young limey Brit”. 

The rest is history…

My life will continue exactly as before. 

If I was fully invested and it did crash 50% I’d struggle with that. 

Downside for me of the potential of a crash greatly outweighs the upside of getting 10% - 20% a year for the next 3 years or so. Not worth it for me.

Everyone’s journey is different - good luck ! 

I once scored a bullseye in the pub.  Doesn't make me Luke Littler!

See.  That's a difference.

If the market collapses by 50% then great.  I'll be there buying it.

It fell by a third during covid.  I did nothing except put in my regular monthly orders.  It's now WAY up on what it was before covid.  I've made most of my money by doing nothing.

The global stock market always comes back.  And if it doesn't then there is blood in the streets and we have better things to worry about.

• Cheers 1

Mandalorian
9 minutes ago, Jesus Wept said:

I think we are on the same page.

I am just a little late to this game and still learning. If I start to invest now in global trackers as sure as night is day it will come crashing down and put me off for life .

I am going to “HOLD” for now and risk waiting until there is a crash. 

And what if there isn't?

Mandalorian
13 hours ago, baffledbyzirp said:

or the US, which is in a massive bubble

Is it?  How do you know?

You say about their currency having difficulty.  Why do you think the US stock market keeps going up?  Those two things are linked.

1 minute ago, Jesus Wept said:

There nearly always is, and if not I will be happy to sit out and celebrate your gains ! 

Nearly always isn't.  The general pattern is upwards with occasional blips downwards, not the reverse.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

This is absolutely fascinating. Much watch if you're interested in China.

He's been going to china for a long time, goes to factories etc and he says the change in the last five years is astounding regarding everything from automation to manners, air quality, public transportation and even public toilets! His conclusion is that China is far ahead of most western countries and, most importantly, he says it's the trajectory: China feels like the future whereas the west feels like the past.

It's only 11 minutes and just him doing a walk and talk to camera in Shanghai. That's his twitter account so well worth a follow I think.

In reference to China becoming more polite. I recall an article of a few years back that said Western media was falsely mis-characterising the Chinese social credit system as a CBDC for government control, when in fact it was more a nudge system to encourage social cohesion and trust between the various Chinese ethnicities that had migrated into the cities. 

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

5 hours ago, Red Debt Redemption said:

Just put them in general nothing happens. Hear the neighbours bins clinking like fuck when tipped into lorry. xD Alot of things you're 'supposed' to do like get a paye job and pay 40% tax doesn't meant you have to.

Yea, like the Soviet Russian workers (sort of) used to say... We pretend to recycle and they pretend to achieve their recycling targets!

• Lol 4

Bobthebuilder
2 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

What's in your portfolio

Loads of boring divi paying stocks.

• Lol 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, leonardratso said:

ive managed to get rid of a fridge, a double bed including mattress and a single bed including mattress via the normal bin, obviouslyhad to cut them up and disguise them over several bin cycles every 2 weeks. But its fine, cutting them up is good exercise for me, especially the springs in the mattresses, doesnt half give you hand ache.

PS. have used some of the neighbours underutilized bins as well to help out (bin out to help out as rishi would say).

You cut up a fridge? But what about the CFC's? Please think of the hole in the atmosphere...  Oh the HUMANITY!!

• Lol 3

Axeman123

I got rid of a concrete tiled fireplace, some bathroom tiles, and some bricks in a wheely bin once.

When we moved it was plastic sacks only at the new house, but that didn't stop me putting a ancient broken Flymo out in bagged up pieces.

I doff my cap to a double mattress though.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 5

leonardratso
27 minutes ago, JMD said:

You cut up a fridge? But what about the CFC's? Please think of the hole in the atmosphere...  Oh the HUMANITY!!

thats why i threw it out, it had already all leaked out at some point, so when i split the pipe there was nothing in it.

yeah the mattress was a problem - both times, pretty tough the springs, the joining wires were easier to cut, bolt cutters were useless, ended up doing it with wire cutting pliers, a real hand/forearm  workout.

Edited by leonardratso
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

What makes you think you can time the market?

Friend of mine sold EVERYTHING about 18 months - 2 years ago.  'It's overvalued.  Going to crash.'

It didn't.

Maybe it will.  But what if it doesn't?

Timing?

Perhaps you're unaware that this thread has it's own fiduciary 'Uncle'? Some say he was the original contrarian!

I believe his thesis is 'Watch and Learn'. But if that is a bit esoteric for some non-contrarians, in practical terms it usually translates as him prophesising that a meltup/crash is 6-8 months into the future. He is very consistent and has been saying this for at least the past 7 years.

Edited by JMD
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 6

Libspero
2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

These arguments appear to be falling on deaf ears in Westminster, with no meaningful proposals to reduce the tax burden. Instead, decommissioning is the new name of the game.

Devils advocate..   perhaps they are keeping it in the ground (seabed) exactly because of energy security? 

For the moment the dictators he references are all happily pumping lots of oil.   If that does ever change we may need some of our own reserves available for serious energy shocks in the future.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

sleepwello'nights
16 hours ago, Funn3r said:

They make us recycle glass. Can't put them in the rubbish. You have to save up the bottles then take them to a recycling point. In my flat I have literally nowhere to save the empties so avoid buying anything glass wherever possible.  Also the recycling skips are always full to overflowing for some reason and I feel bad dumping the bottles in the carpark like everyone does.

Puzzles me because glass is primarily sand. An excellent material for landfill. Ours are collected with household waste collection so need to make special trips to dispose of them. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Onsamui
5 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

We've just moved to a new recycling system. We used to just put all of the recycling into a single bag. Now we've got to separate it out into metal and plastic, cardboard, and glass. It's a right pain in the arse.

I happened to see the bin men come around this week, and watched them empty it all into the same fucking lorry.

Turns out the council haven't had their new lorries yet with separate compartments for the different stuff. Fucking clown world.

Most goes to Asia, so don't recycle.  Neil Oliver was talking about it the other week and showed documentary film. Friend works in refuse and he says it nearly all goes in landfill here or abroad.

Edited by Onsamui
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1