DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

40 minutes ago, Harley said:

Yep, best to stay away from technical analysis with these charts (TA is the study of price)!  Folk are anti TA here! :)

Nah TA is great.

image.jpeg.7e1a29683e3c61626d1f0337d5f551ff.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Lol 5
  • Cringe 1

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

To be honest, I find both buybacks and dividends irritating.

It's been a long road to get to the point where I agree.  I've done so much work in this area and put real money down on most approaches.  KISS for me.  I just want total return (e.g. accumulation fund) charts to work on that are not jerked around by ex div and the like.  Financially, I behave as if I'm in retirement and can see the potential dangers in naturally thinking div investing is the most appropriate approach, especially the way things are going.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Tea leaves and entrails.

So never post a chart or talk about price again!  Its's all TA.  You loves just like to define (except ya don't even do that properly) a subset and shitepost about it.  So boring and intellectually tiresome rendering this thread mere (dubious) entertainment.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Harley said:

We look (filter for) at other factors too like whether its based on a full replication, sampling, or swaps.  Also the age (over 5 years) and hedging status and currency options.  I'm a broken record but JustETF really is the go to for ETFs, subbed or not.  So many questions, etc posted here have ready answers and so very much more.  The more time you spend with it the more you get out of it.  I'm still finding new things.  I'm happy to offer support.

PS:  There are only four LA ETFs and they are all classed as EM.  It's quite a narrow area and currency controls, market access, etc for the providers to deal with.  There are however 81 EM ETFs which include various weightings to LA.

BRLA is a good non-ETF alternative.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

53 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Is true.  However, your retail investor has a choice of whether to buy an individual stock or some kind of collective vehicle.  So comparing the outcome of sticking you money in one of the two is valid.

That was not the discussion topic.  We're too far apart in process and manner to have a meaningful conversation.  If it all works for you, fine.  Let's just leave it there and go our separate ways.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 3

Mandalorian
11 minutes ago, Harley said:

So never post a chart or talk about price again!  Its's all TA.  You loves just like to define (except ya don't even do that properly) a subset and shitepost about it.  So boring and intellectually tiresome rendering this thread mere (dubious) entertainment.

There's TA and there's TA.

No issue with using it to compare the returns on two assets.

My problem with TA is when people start getting into doji candles and ichiomoku clouds with a cup and handle in a rising pennant with an inverted head and shoulder pattern nonsense.

Edited by Mandalorian
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Errol said:

BRLA is a good non-ETF alternative.

Yes.  We use ETFs to avoid the stamp and/or other fees, especially as we vary our allocations.  Plus we need the data flow.  Then there's the different risk profiles of the instruments, not that I could say one is overall better than the other, just different, although we are thinking we maybe should diversify.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

Nah TA is great.

image.jpeg.7e1a29683e3c61626d1f0337d5f551ff.jpeg

So not original I don't know why ya bothered.  Just silliness.  But then you loves go all grown up and are fine with this sort of thing!

image.png.f6441cf5774b8d90b22d08cba182c3cd.png

Oh dear!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Harley said:

So not original I don't know why ya bothered.  Just silliness.  But then you loves go all grown up and are fine with this sort of thing!

Oh dear!

How does this help me buy high and sell low

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2

2 minutes ago, Harley said:

Oh dear!

@Harley I actually do follow TA, to some extent, but never rely on it completely. 

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

How does this help me buy high and sell low

I don't think any form of studying price will help you there as you probably really shouldn't be doing that!

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Plan-b said:

@Harley I actually do follow TA, to some extent, but never rely on it completely. 

Sorry, I'm physically tired and a bit on the spectrum or whatever to keep up with the thread twists and turns!  Pizza ovens I get, anything closer and......!  Plus I have invested in these topics (the whole integrated thing, not just TA) from Uni onwards.

Everything in moderation.  It's just people saying TA is bad is like saying food is bad.  There's a far more grown up, nuanced, and beneficial conversation to be had.  But it never happens. 

And I reckon that's 'cause people don't want the brain ache or don't have the required temperament (Mr Market sucks in all types!).  Fine if they're just playing with some play money, else FFS, be professional or hire one.

The most addictive part about studying the markets is to realise it's really about the study of human frailties, as we have seen tonight.  Truth is it's a temptress of a Gordian knot.

The lucky are the ones who avoid the rocks long enough to drop their delusions and give themselves up to the mere probabilistic series of events it is.

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 4
  • Love / Hugz 2
  • Cheers 3

56 minutes ago, Loki said:

In my line of work I can't get away with saying "LOL ur building might catch fire LMAO" but anything financial seems to be very much "No refunds" based.  Nice work if you can get it

I might as well just do it myself, and hold myself accountable - that's one more person than I can hold accountable with a pro

Talking to a friend today who's been to see several financial advisors.  Very interested to hear what they had to say.  There clearly was a benefit in those who knew the ins and outs of the rules, possibilities, etc for those where such stuff was relevant.

None of the tax stuff was new to me and the rest (e.g. planning) was not rocket science but probably would be to many others so fair enough.  But then they are not fund managers, traders, etc so that's another lot.  Nice if you've got most of the rare skill set and unique opportunity to do the full end to end.  I wouldn't want to be a standard FA though.

There is a real danger with DIY in not knowing what you should know on a wide range of topics.  Maybe though things are pretty straightforward for most folk, although reading the pension pages in The Telegraph had me a tad worried (both the mistakes people apparently make, and the mistakes the journalists made!).

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 5

montecristo
1 hour ago, Harley said:

Talking to a friend today who's been to see several financial advisors.  Very interested to hear what they had to say.  There clearly was a benefit in those who knew the ins and outs of the rules, possibilities, etc for those where such stuff was relevant.

None of the tax stuff was new to me and the rest (e.g. planning) was not rocket science but probably would be to many others so fair enough.  But then they are not fund managers, traders, etc so that's another lot.  Nice if you've got most of the rare skill set and unique opportunity to do the full end to end.  I wouldn't want to be a standard FA though.

There is a real danger with DIY in not knowing what you should know on a wide range of topics.  Maybe though things are pretty straightforward for most folk, although reading the pension pages in The Telegraph had me a tad worried (both the mistakes people apparently make, and the mistakes the journalists made!).

How much would that have cost?  If your friend just stuck his money in a S&P ETF  he would be quid's up and saved financial advice fees. 

• Agree 2

leonardratso

games back on, couldnt sleep so had a quick look online.

• Agree 1

leonardratso

hmm not much jumping going on, must be some low grade missiles.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, montecristo said:

How much would that have cost?  If your friend just stuck his money in a S&P ETF  he would be quid's up and saved financial advice fees. 

FFS, you don't know his situation, etc so pure speculation on your part.