DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come (part 9)

spunko

Axeman123
30 minutes ago, Cattle Prod said:

this originates in the US Department of Defense. They war gamed this out years ago, as they saw exporting dollars has hollowed out the defence supply chain to China, and is now a huge national security issue. AFAIR, the Treasury department did not want to take the step of sanctioning foreign reserves, but were pushed by DoD

...and suddenly the massive push by the current US administration to troon the military including its top brass looks like an attempt to neuter a rival power base by the Washington DC camp.

• Agree 5
  • Informative 1

sancho panza
On 19/04/2024 at 15:53, Roger said:

Great post. I just wanted to pick up on this point, if I may. My gut would tell me that for every winner in the market, there's a loser. So for those 50% that fail to beat the market, there'll be 50% who succeed (ignoring spreads for the house).

So when you say it's "extremely difficult" to beat the market, are you saying that it's difficult for us lay people because the dice are loaded against us? I.e. the winners are largely insiders/ knowledgeable trading with large sums and we tend to be on the other side?

I think the odds are worse than that tbh.I'd likely say it's 40% winners and 60% losers.Then use a deflator ie real returns,then likely there's 20% winners or less and 80% losers.your average basement dweller likely in the top 10% over last 4 years if they've followed 50% of the timing calls from the SME's like @DurhamBorn @Cattle Prod

you have to consider that the real moeny is made by the middle men.Less brokers these days (they still amke money) but defo money managers with their fees,IFAs to.All make moeny whtehter their investors win or lose.........................and lose they do.

In tersm of the managed there are real structural issues eg 60/40 bond equity splits that essentially mean many of the nominal winners of the last few decades will now beocme losers.

there are aslo structural issues in term sof fees,.So IFAs put peoples money intoa managed fund which may charge 1%,they themselves then cahrge 1%.ave FTSE 100 divi is 4% so 50% of compiund growth is geting stolen.

there's also the issue of managed moeny chasing quarterly returns for bonueses.inherently forcing managed money into momentum stocks that eventually collapse.

so why is your ave dweller ahead.well quite simply our timeframes are very different to many otehrs.we make moeny from making profits divi (please dont:ph34r:) or capital gains.curcially our timeframes are way longer than msot hedge funds.I can sit on a lsoing position for four or five years if I wish.even logner maybe.your ave hedgie starts sweating at 30% down.

On 21/04/2024 at 23:22, CannonFodder said:

Whoever is doing it, is using the playbook

It started a long time ago. Apologies if this has been posted before but explains the approach.

that was excellent.15 years from marxist education to being in govt.so true.

• Agree 8
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

sancho panza

this is one of those one of tax victoreis that will be a fleeeting victory as more people with moeny will leave.utterly derpessing to be facing death and knowing the WEF acolytes in westmisnter will be blowing 40% or so of your savings on bennies for people who have likely never saved

very hsort sighted but that seems to be the plan these days with things like the windfall tax on north sea-one great photo op for the MSM then expensive/cold winters for the population

also some interesting detail on QE losses of £45bn for BoE.which Im not seeing leading the 6 o clock news whihc it should.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/23/inheritance-tax-hits-record-stealth-raid-hunt/

Inheritance tax take hits record £7.5bn after stealth raid by Hunt

Data published by HM Revenue & Customs showed it received £7.5bn in inheritance tax (IHT) receipts in the financial year to the end of March, £400m above the same period last year.

The amount raised from IHT has surged in the past few years after the Chancellor froze the threshold at which it is payable at £325,000 until 2028, preventing it from rising in line with inflation and forcing more families to pay.

The deficit stood at £11.9bn last month, according to figures published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

This is higher than the £10bn predicted by economists and means the Government borrowed £120.7bn to plug the gap between tax receipts and public spending in the 2023-24 financial year.

It is also £6.6bn above the borrowing target set just a month ago by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the Government’s tax and spending watchdog.

The figures also show the Government transferred almost £45bn to the Bank of England last year to cover losses on its bond buying programme. The Bank hoovered up around £900bn in debt during the financial crisis and pandemic, turning a profit as the returns on the gilts it bought outstripped the interest it paid to commercial banks on reserves.

However, this has turned into losses as the Bank has raised interest rates to 5.25pc in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The Bank is also selling some of its bonds at steep losses as it actively winds down its balance sheet. The Bank currently estimates total net losses of £80bn to the taxpayer over the next decade.

• Agree 7
  • Informative 3
  • Bogged 3
  • Lol 1

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, janch said:

potatoes.

Apple.

Sorry didn't read the quote correctly.

Potato.

Edited by Bobthebuilder
  • Lol 1

Axeman123
9 minutes ago, janch said:

Sorry I just had to comment................it caused me some merriment......I don't think they're after potatoes......xD

I do know it was pied a terre btw, the frogs call potatos "apples of the ground" for some reason if directly translated.

I was expecting laugh reactions, so now I wonder:

• Did no one else spot it?
  • Did they spot it and feel bad for me pointing it out because they thought I didn't know?
  • Was everyone just too cool to ruin the incredibly subtle joke?
  • Lol 3

Long time lurking
38 minutes ago, Loki said:

US rate is already 5.25% - 5.50% though?

Just like commodities the price today reflects the price you will pay months /years down the line rather than today  

The shit really hits the fan when bonds exceed the Fed`s base rate though at this point everything sold prior to that point gets a hair cut 

Edited by Long time lurking
  • Agree 5

belfastchild
7 minutes ago, Axeman123 said:

I do know it was pied a terre btw, the frogs call potatos "apples of the ground" for some reason if directly translated.

I was expecting laugh reactions, so now I wonder:

• Did no one else spot it?
  • Did they spot it and feel bad for me pointing it out because they thought I didn't know?
  • Was everyone just too cool to ruin the incredibly subtle joke?

I went out and counted my potato stash.

Which reminds me to get the next ones into the ground soon.

• Cheers 3

Axeman123
8 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

The shit really hits the fan when bonds exceed the Fed`s base rate though at this point everything sold prior to that point gets a hair cut 

Indeed, that is likely what the final delay on rate cuts will be - waiting for markets to drop yields on their own first. IIRC the big Fed hikes came when market yields started running ahead of them.

Axeman123

Yahoo finance with an epic opening paragraph:

Mortgage lenders hike interest rates as market jitters set in

Anxiety has set in among UK mortgage lenders, with rates being hiked left, right and centrexD, amid uncertainty about how the Bank of England's interest rate path will play out...

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/mortgage-interest-rates-latest-barclays-hsbc-natwest-halifax-151133798.html

Meanwhile Sunak confirms ESG just means "aligned with government policy priorities"

PM says investments in weapons companies meet ethical criteria

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pm-says-investments-weapons-companies-153120348.html

• Bogged 1
  • Lol 10

Lightly Toasted
5 hours ago, Cattle Prod said:

That's a very good question, and I wish more people would ask it.

They do, this originates in the US Department of Defense. They war gamed this out years ago, as they saw exporting dollars has hollowed out the defence supply chain to China, and is now a huge national security issue. AFAIR, the Treasury department did not want to take the step of sanctioning foreign reserves, but were pushed by DoD. Sorry I don't have source to quote for that, but pretty sure Luke Gromen covers it.

It's classic Dutch Disease, if you can print your main export (dollars) your industries will atrophy just as they do when you dig your money out of the ground practically for free (oil and gas). So that's what it's about. They want the UST export racket killed, which means deficit spending killed and/or dollar devaluation so that the dumb fuck politicans have to build up domestic industry again. The Inflation Reduction Act was the first salvo. You'll notice that came out of nowhere with a bow on it not long after those reserves were sanctioned. Now fully stolen. Bear in mind that these are people who are ready to make decisions about nuking millions of people, they could care less about the economic consequences of killing the UST. Deficit spending gone? Fuck you assholes! Suck it up, stick your NFTs where the sun don't shine and build me a goddam ball bearing factory.

Very interesting. The status of reserve currencies is called "exorbitant privilege"; I always wondered "exorbitant for whom?"

In the long term it's exorbitant to the issuer, of course, though that's not what's meant.

• Cheers 2