DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

Lightscribe
6 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Always a bit of an 'odds n ends' type store with no real direction a bit like those tchibo stores without the coffee. 

I remember back in my graphic design days doing a project at uni on Muji. It was all bamboo Japanese themed fancy recycled designer bag type stuff, which back in the noughties everyone lapped up. No real place in todays market where everything's bought online and China has taken over.

• Agree 2

sleepwello'nights
58 minutes ago, Sideysid said:

Always a bit of an 'odds n ends' type store with no real direction a bit like those tchibo stores without the coffee. 

I remember back in my graphic design days doing a project at uni on Muji. It was all bamboo Japanese themed fancy recycled designer bag type stuff, which back in the noughties everyone lapped up. No real place in todays market where everything's bought online and China has taken over.

I like their stuff. Will it still be available online?

• Cheers 1

sancho panza

Lefties getting mullered today.Amazed the Guradian can't live off the adverts for teachers.

Ref the BBC,it's hard to know what to say/

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/15/guardian-announces-plans-to-cut-180-jobs

The Guardian has announced plans to make job cuts in both editorial and commercial roles, as the economic shock caused by the coronavirus pandemic continues to impact the media industry.

The proposals could affect up to 180 jobs – 110 in departments such as advertising, Guardian Jobs, marketing roles, and the Guardian Live events business, with 70 coming from editorial.

The editor-in-chief, Katharine Viner, and the Guardian Media Group chief executive, Annette Thomas, said in a joint statement to staff that the pandemic had created an “unsustainable financial outlook for the Guardian” with revenues expected to be down by more than £25m on the year’s budget.

They said Guardian Media Group, the parent company of the Guardian and the Observer, was facing “unsustainable annual losses in future years unless we take decisive action” to reduce costs.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/15/bbc-announces-further-70-job-cuts-in-news-division

The BBC has announced plans to cut a further 70 jobs from its news division, with Radio 4 and political programming expected to be badly hit.

Staff on shows such as Today, World at One and PM on Radio 4 are privately warning that audiences should expect less distinctive programmes, with more discussion of stories that have been covered across the rest of the BBC.

The corporation has already indicated that job cuts will result in the creation of centralised teams of reporters.

The BBC previously announced plans to reduce 450 staff from its news teams, implementing long-delayed cuts prompted by the licence fee deal agreed with the Conservative government in 2015. This led to anger at the cancellation of programmes such as Victoria Derbyshire and hefty cuts to shows such as Newsnight.

These redundancies were paused owing to the pandemic, but on Wednesday the BBC confirmed they would be going ahead, with many staff who have worked throughout lockdown once again braced to lose their jobs.

A delay in requiring most over-75s to pay the licence fee and a drop in the BBC’s commercial income due to the pandemic has led to it now announcing plans to make a further 70 news roles redundant, taking the total losses to around 520.

• Agree 2

sancho panza

Looking good for Intu to fly out of adminsitration

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/07/burberry-eyes-job-cuts-as-lockdowns-cause-sales-plunge/

Burberry has revealed plans to make 500 job cuts amid efforts to streamline UK office operations and make cuts across stores outside Britain after lockdown sent sales tumbling.

The luxury fashion retailer said around 150 office jobs are expected to go in the UK, where it is headquartered, and a further 350 overseas as it looks to slash annual costs by a further £55 million.

This comes on top of the previously announced £140 million cost savings, such as the decision to cancel dividends at the end of the last financial year and renegotiating rents, restricting recruitment, travel and other discretionary spend.

• Agree 1

On 15/07/2020 at 20:25, sancho panza said:

Lefties getting mullered today.Amazed the Guradian can't live off the adverts for teachers.

Ref the BBC,it's hard to know what to say/

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/15/guardian-announces-plans-to-cut-180-jobs

The Guardian has announced plans to make job cuts in both editorial and commercial roles, as the economic shock caused by the coronavirus pandemic continues to impact the media industry.

The proposals could affect up to 180 jobs – 110 in departments such as advertising, Guardian Jobs, marketing roles, and the Guardian Live events business, with 70 coming from editorial.

The editor-in-chief, Katharine Viner, and the Guardian Media Group chief executive, Annette Thomas, said in a joint statement to staff that the pandemic had created an “unsustainable financial outlook for the Guardian” with revenues expected to be down by more than £25m on the year’s budget.

They said Guardian Media Group, the parent company of the Guardian and the Observer, was facing “unsustainable annual losses in future years unless we take decisive action” to reduce costs.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/15/bbc-announces-further-70-job-cuts-in-news-division

The BBC has announced plans to cut a further 70 jobs from its news division, with Radio 4 and political programming expected to be badly hit.

Staff on shows such as Today, World at One and PM on Radio 4 are privately warning that audiences should expect less distinctive programmes, with more discussion of stories that have been covered across the rest of the BBC.

The corporation has already indicated that job cuts will result in the creation of centralised teams of reporters.

The BBC previously announced plans to reduce 450 staff from its news teams, implementing long-delayed cuts prompted by the licence fee deal agreed with the Conservative government in 2015. This led to anger at the cancellation of programmes such as Victoria Derbyshire and hefty cuts to shows such as Newsnight.

These redundancies were paused owing to the pandemic, but on Wednesday the BBC confirmed they would be going ahead, with many staff who have worked throughout lockdown once again braced to lose their jobs.

A delay in requiring most over-75s to pay the licence fee and a drop in the BBC’s commercial income due to the pandemic has led to it now announcing plans to make a further 70 news roles redundant, taking the total losses to around 520.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_News

The department's annual budget is in excess of £350 million; it has 3,500 staff, 2,000 of whom are journalists.[2] BBC News' domestic, global and online news divisions are housed within the largest live newsroom in Europe, in Broadcasting House in central London.

That's probably more than the rest of UK news media combined.

What in fuck do they do?

Theres little to no investigation. Just constant trump thus, trump that. The newsisjust short sections of a bloke or woman stood outside somewhere.

Why the fuck - and I'm serious- not have text to speech to read out stuff like weather n headlines on the radio?

Shipping news is read out to almost robotically.

• Agree 1

The Idiocrat
2 hours ago, spygirl said:

The department's annual budget is in excess of £350 million; it has 3,500 staff, 2,000 of whom are journalists.[2] BBC News' domestic, global and online news divisions are housed within the largest live newsroom in Europe, in Broadcasting House in central London.

What in fuck do they do?

Theres little to no investigation. Just constant trump thus, trump that. The newsisjust short sections of a bloke or woman stood outside somewhere.

Why the fuck - and I'm serious- not have text to speech to read out stuff like weather n headlines on the radio?

All the journalists and crews are stood outside empty government buildings in the middle of the night pretending that they've just got the latest news from the empty building behind them.

Pal of mine used to work in news (camera) - BBC turn up with 10-15 people for an outside news broadcast, Sky and the others 2-4. This was a few years ago but doubt it's changed.

Edited by The Idiocrat
  • Agree 2

Heart's Ease

https://www.cityam.com/selfridges-to-cut-450-jobs-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

Selfridges group managing director Anne Pitcher sought to reassure the 30 per cent of employees that are still on furlough that their jobs are not more at risk than others.

“The task ahead is significant and, as we look to reinvent retail and prepare to build back, we will need to go further,” Pitcher said in a letter to staff.

“As a family business, the hardest decisions are the ones that affect our people which is why it pains me to share news today of the toughest decision we have ever had to take that we will, very regrettably, need to make a 14 per cent net reduction in our overall headcount, approximately 450 roles.”

leonardratso
14 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

https://www.cityam.com/selfridges-to-cut-450-jobs-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

Selfridges group managing director Anne Pitcher sought to reassure the 30 per cent of employees that are still on furlough that their jobs are not more at risk than others.

“The task ahead is significant and, as we look to reinvent retail and prepare to build back, we will need to go further,” Pitcher said in a letter to staff.

“As a family business, the hardest decisions are the ones that affect our people which is why it pains me to share news today of the toughest decision we have ever had to take that we will, very regrettably, need to make a 14 per cent net reduction in our overall headcount, approximately 450 roles.”

ill bet they make sure not to include themselves in that 450, even thought they probably amount to maybe 5-10 normal grunts paywise.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, leonardratso said:

ill bet they make sure not to include themselves in that 450, even thought they probably amount to maybe 5-10 normal grunts paywise.

Yeah.

I was in a meeting at a company once that was facing layoffs.  I suggested cutting exec bonuses by 30% which would mean no layoffs and would mean the business could keep experienced grunts ready for the upturn.

It was like I had killed a kitten with my bare hands.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 7

leonardratso
4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Yeah.

I was in a meeting at a company once that was facing layoffs.  I suggested cutting exec bonuses by 30% which would mean no layoffs and would mean the business could keep experienced grunts ready for the upturn.

It was like I had killed a kitten with my bare hands.

you bastard, stealing the bread from their kids mouths, you should be flogged to within an inch of your life.

of course, on a different tack, you hero, you should be given a medal.

- just practising my messaging skills for the daily mail comments section.

got to always flip flop to get them clicks up.

Obviously the meeting was full of execs or arselicking cucks to the execs.

Makes going postal seem ok to be honest. As long as the big guys/gals get it only.

• Agree 2

On 18/07/2020 at 11:22, spygirl said:

What in fuck do they do?

And yet, during an era-defining pandemic and associated economic turmoil, last night they had a report on a dog being stuck up a mountain!

You couldn't make it up...

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Craig said:

And yet, during an era-defining pandemic and associated economic turmoil, last night they had a report on a dog being stuck up a mountain!

You couldn't make it up...

And I bet they got the name of the dog wrong!  Dire, despicable, dimwits.

Edited by Harley

Chewing Grass
8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Pendragon have always been dodgy

Been waiting for that, its took a long time.

May 2017 was 3 years ago, if they were struggling back then they have no chance now.

• Agree 1

jamtomorrow
5 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I think this one has been a long time coming?

Byron burger chain will SHUT 31 restaurants and make 650 staff redundant in yet another blow to high street economy

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8580867/Byron-burger-chain-SHUT-31-restaurants-make-600-staff-redundant.html

Wait, they're still going???!!

• Agree 1